Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan New Owner Reports

Comments

• mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Check your tires when cold.
    S and SE with 16 inch wheels should read 34 lbs/sqin. the SEL with 17 inche wheeils should read 33 lbs/sqin,

Mark.
  • Owners, have you encountered any problems with the engine? Does FORD still stand for Fix Or Repair Daily, or has FORD cleaned up their act. I am asking this because there is no problems/solutions discussion for the fusion.
  • heyjewelheyjewel Posts: 1,046
    13.8 mpg in a Fusion?

I get better mileage than that in my Navigator.

There is either something wrong with the car or the way you drive it.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    "Owners, have you encountered any problems with the engine? Does FORD still stand for Fix Or Repair Daily, or has FORD cleaned up their act. I am asking this because there is no problems/solutions discussion for the fusion"

The 3.0 Duratec is a proven engine. The Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan is proving to be quiet a reliable and quality built vehicle. I'm sure there will be problems. However as you scan the internet you will see small stuff not anything majore like engines or transmissions or suspension issues.
  • sounds good, thank you

~allcars are cool
  • I don't think so. My lead footed wife's been driving a Milan I-4 M for about a year now. She loves driving it and gets about 26.5 MPG. We took it on a trip to Tenessee during the summer and the computer was registering 32+ MPG at the end of the trip even though we did 3 hours in driving rain on the way home and a fair amount of driving up and down in the mountains (I have a much ligher foot?). Any way with gt 20,000 miles, the only problem I've had was with the floor mats. We wore a hole in the drivers side mat under the gas pedal at 15,000 miles. Ford replaced it with an upgraded model.
  • On the mileage question. I was listening to CarTalk a couple of weeks back and some gal called in complaining about her Toyota. Seems she was getting 20+MPG when she lived in California and going 30+ miles each way to work. Then she moved to Lansing Mich. Now driving 3-4 miles each way in the cold, she's getting a whopping 12-13 MPG and wants to know why... :D
  • fho2008fho2008 Posts: 393
    Stop and go traffic kills mileage. Just like highway miles bring it up to the hi side of the epa cycle.
  • I bought the first AWD fusion in town according to the dealer. Since then they've sold about three more. I went with Oxford white with black leather. Its an 2007 V6 SEL. Very happy with it
  • scerniscerni Posts: 1
    I got a Ford Fusion SE at the end of January. So far, I'm totally thrilled with the car. It has just about everything, and even little hooks in the trunk to hold grocery bags in place. The MPG is great for a car this size. I traded a brand new Sebring with less than 3,000 miles as that car had already indicated it would be nothing but a headache to own. So far, the Fusion appears to be a great choice. The dealer was a pleasure to deal with and made me the best deal he could, given the circumstances. I believe Ford is really making the effort to change the American automobile. I've had such a bad experience with Honda, and now Chrysler. So far the Fusion is all smiles. :)
    Up to about 8,500 miles since August mostly mixed city highway driving. Lead footed acceleration leaves overall fuel economy around 24 mpg.

NO PROBLEMS

Have Merlot with Camel interior. Merlot looks very upscale and does a great job of hiding dirt.

Was worried about Camel interior getting dirty as it is a very light color but hasn't been a problem so far.

I don't think any other car out there can touch the Fusion for the price.

Mark
  • oshkosh49oshkosh49 Posts: 13
    I bought my Milan about a year ago, and I love the car. The only quality issue was the "chrome" on the driver's side interior door handle had ripples. That interior door handle was immediately replaced under warranty by the dealer. As far as fuel mileage is concerned. Make darn sure you guys are resetting your MPG computer when you refill your tank. And obviously stop n' go city driving will be detrimental to anybody's fuel mileage. On highway trips with cruise set at 74 MPH, I've gotten 28.8 MPG. My Milan has the Silver Frost exterior with the Medium Light Stone leather seats and wood grain dash.The 221 HP has plenty of power and handling is superb for a sedan. I traded in my 2000 Mustang with the 3.8L V6 and 5-speed manual tranny. The Mustang was stickier in the corners verses my Milan. But my Milan will "smoke" my old Mustang in the "get up and go" department. Oh yeah, it's nice to have front-wheel drive back in this snow country of Wisconsin.
    Own an 06 Fusion SEL V6 with all the options. 11,900 miles on the Odo, and 9 months of service. No problems to report. Car is solid and drives great.
    Likes are handling, styling and the confident driving experience.
    Dislikes are rear view - Ford could help this by moving the third brake light to the trunk. A very easy fix. No stability control. Just to have it would be nice. No MP3 or blue tooth/Nav was available for 06. Offer a 6spd manual. Have 3 engines 2.3, 3.0 and the new 3.5..
    If you have the chance to buy a Fusion/Milan with the optional rear spoiler, you will get better visability as the spoiler is below the bottom of the rear window and the package shelf light is deleted.

Mark.
  • danr2danr2 Posts: 5
    I have to say....especially those worried about fuel mileage, the rear of the Milan/Fusion is HIGH for aerodynamic reasons as well as increased truck volume.

You can't have your cake and eat it too... radar would be a handy option but then you start getting into another price range....

I think a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car is defeating the purpose but when did that ever make any difference???

Overall i think the Milan/Fusion are great cars and are available at substancialy less than the direct competition.
    With all the talk of FORD's woes... Chrysler is the one on the sale block with 70% of their sales in the gas guzzler truck segment... THE EDGE/MKX are the right products at the right time...
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I think a rear spoiler on a front wheel drive car is defeating the purpose but when did that ever make any difference???

And here I thought I was the only one who recognized the silliness of this fad ;) .
    I am highly doubtful that any actual down force is created.

Mark.
    I thought about the spoiler on my Fusion. But then started to think about it a bit more in depth. This is a family car not a race car. The Fusion is very stylish and sporty looking but is not meant to be a road racer. So, no spoiler will be put on my Fusion.
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I am highly doubtful that any actual down force is created.

Instead it truely is a wing and creates up-force...lifting the rear and thus shifting more weight to the driving wheels in the front ;) :D .
    THAT's it~! UPFORCE....

Luke I am your father.....DXR :shades:
    I think the lip spoiler makes much more sense....keeps the fingerprints off the paint and chrome trim on the end of the trunk....I put one on my milan...$175 -color matched to my paint...Resin molded plastic....looks good...there is another one out there too...a "lip spoiler" for about $50...have not seen that one....both were avalable on ebay.
  • lostwrenchlostwrench Posts: 288
    Oh c'mon people. Rear spoilers on passenger cars are not there to push the rear end of a vehicle down or lift it up. It is there to "spoil" the smooth air flow over the trunk to decrease the air low pressure area immediately behind the moving vehicle.
  • menard53menard53 Posts: 1
    I purchased a fully loaded Mercury Milan Premier 4cyl with a 5 speed standard and we love it (well I love it and my wife is now getting the standard part down so it's growing on her). It's very fun to drive, the around town milage isn't what I thought it would be but the trip milage is great, 35+ driving from Iowa to NY (it would have been better with a 6 speed because it dropped off quick around 75 MPH). The car is comfortable, not a single person who has had a ride in it hasn't mentioned how much they like it, my father who's a used cars salesman drove it and couldn't believe how fun it was and how much power it had for a 4 cyl (he saw no reason for a 6 cyl). Driving the other day we had someone pull up behind us, drive beside us and look, drive in front and look, and slow down again to get another look, great feeling to have such a great looking car for thousands less than anything else with the same options. Very happy with this car!
  • oshkosh49oshkosh49 Posts: 13
    Congatulations menard53 on your new Milan. Glad to hear that you love it. I love my 2006 Milan Premier V6 as well. But I am curious, the person who slowed down to get a better look at your Milan, what kind of car were they driving?
  • Just picked up my new Redfire 07 SEL with spoiler and leather - and this car REALLY looks sharp! It drives like a dream and the brakes are the best I've ever had on a car. My only complaints so far deal with the car's fit and finish, mostly with the interior, but also some with the exterior. Here's a list of the F&F items I've noticed:

Interior:
    1) Front side window defrost vents are VERY poorly fitted in the dash top - not only are they out of flush by at least 1/4" on two sides, the vent itself is warped on one side as well (both issues are on both side window vents).
    2) There's over a half-inch gap between the interior front door panels and the car's center pillar - enough gap that the exterior red paint color from the inside of the door is VERY noticeable all the way up and down the pillar - this bugs me to the point I feel like painting the inside of the door the same color as the interior so I don't have to look at this every time I get into the car.
    3) The lid on the dash storage compartment is nowhere near flush with the dash on two of its three sides - very prominent.
    4) The cowling under the steering wheel does not match up well with the dash panels above it.
    5) The plastic panels that the window up/down switches fit into aren't flush with the top of the arm rests that the panels are inserted in.
    6) The center shift console sides are noticeably separated from the console top piece.

Exterior:
    1) The rear bumper doesn't match up well against the rear quarter panels, especially on the driver side near the wheel well.
    2) The trunk lid doesn't extend down far enough - too big a gap between it and the bumper.

I guess I'm surprised with the above since Ford seemed to get most everything else right with this car. And the rest of the fit and finish is quite good. I don't think many of these issues above are just problems with my car since I've seen them on other Fusions on the dealer lot as well. I think Ford has come a long way, and this car's fit and finish is much better than the 04 Taurus I still own, but they still don't have the F&F quality of Honda and Toyota yet (unfortunately). Does anybody else have any issues with the fit and finish of the their Fusion?
    All of the stuff you described seems to be typical of the Fusion/Milan

Front side defost vents, I've never seen a Fusion/Milan where thease actually DID look right :(.

I just got in a Ford Edge that a customer factory ordered. There were 2 very noticable paint defects in it. PLUS some transportation damage/scratches to the rear hatch. Ford is paying under warranty almost 2k for what they should have fixed at the factory.

Incidently, We had a Nissan training class at my dealer recently where they were comparing a Maxima to an Acura TL and they had a TL on hand for us to look at. The car seriously looked like it was screwed together by an 8th grade shop class. The rocker panels didn't even come close to lining up with the body panels they were attached to.

I challange anyone to find a car at a dealer's lot that is perfect. I love how Consumer Reports always makes note of "sample defects" they find on the vehicles that they test and to date I don't know of a car that hat 0 sample defects.

Mark.
  • We just got my new 2007 Fusion V6 SE on Saturday. I have a few nitpicky complaints, but overall am incredibly happy and LOVE the car.

The only fit problem out of those that I have is the side window defrost vents and the gap between the door panel and the pillar. (I never noticed it until you mentioned it.)
  • Sorry to bring up the door panel and pillar problem! I actually put some colored tape on the inside of the door to match the interior color and it actually isn't as noticible any more! Anyways, I agree that the Fusion isn't alone in it's fit and finish problems, and I think the US car makers are getting better and some of the Japanese makers are getting worse (Toyota in particular).......
  • Has anybody installed an aftermarket dash kit on their Fusion? I'm looking at buying a simulated wood dash kit and to put over the piano black trim I have in my SEL, but don't know which manaufacturer's are best and how good these kits look. Also, should I go with a flat dash kit or molded dash kit? Any experience or ideas out there?
  • I am definitely getting one soon. The cheap plastic on mine takes away from the car. I think Sherwood Dash is good, and I also saw a website called edah I think. I am going to get a flat one, because the molded ones look strange and a bit outdated. (IMO)