Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Fusion/Mercury Milan New Owner Reports

Comments

• I've been doing some searching on the internet and I think I want a molded kit, especially for the 3 plastic pieces that run horizontally along the dash - I think a flat dash kit wouldn't cover these pieces well enough? I called MegaAuto today and they are going to send me two simulated wood samples - American Walnut and English Burl. The manufacturer of the dash kit is Woodview and I believe they are the only ones to make a molded kit for the Fusion, at least from what I've seen. What is it about the molded kits that looks strange? I know they are made differently and have a different finish coating than the flat kits but not sure why they would look much different? Have you seen a molded kit for the Fusion?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The "Whales Maghogany" kit on the Milan looks good.

Mark.
  • Mark, do you know who the kit manufacturer is? Or was this the trim that comes standard on the Milan?
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    I installed a kit from a company called Exotic Wood Dash several years ago on my Lincoln LS. It fit and matched perfectly and looks great. You might want to take a look at their website.
  • Thanks - I checked out their website and they don't carry a molded dash kit for the fusion, only flat ones. I'm anxious to see the samples I ordered since the piano black trim seems to get dirty/dusty very quickly.......
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I gotta ask... why did you buy this car then? :confuse:
  • danr2danr2 Posts: 5
    Amen brother!....go buy the soulless sewing machines they peddle....Never came up with an original idea yet..they even have to hire americans to market for 'em....dxr :lemon:
  • Bought it because I like the car and wanted to buy American. Just not particularly fond of the black dash.
  • akirbyakirby Posts: 7,723
    And I specifically ordered one WITH the piano black dash and I still love it even though it does get dusty sometimes. Nothing a soft cloth can't fix once or twice a week.
  • urnewsurnews Posts: 668
    And I specifically ordered one WITH the piano black dash and I still love it even though it does get dusty sometimes. Nothing a soft cloth can't fix once or twice a week.

I'm with you Allen. We didn't order the piano black, our Fusion was on the lot that way. Neither my wife nor I care for plastic wood (plood).
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    Don't you know that that is from the rare and valuable laminite tree?

Mark.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I have a Fusion SEL V6 with leather and the plastic piano black. Wow, does it get dusty quick. What I did was get a car duster and use this about once a week. Fast and easy..
    Mark,
    LOL.
    Boz

P.S. By offering the "piano black" plastic trim option the Fusion may be the only mid-size sedan to offer a "non-plood" alternative. That, in and of itself, is a positive attribute from our vantage point. :)
  • longtall1longtall1 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Merc Milan Premier V-6, bought Oct. 2006. The in town mileage is horrible! 14-17 mpg. I get 25 mpg highway. The dealer tells me it is because I take short trips. I've never had a car with this bad mileage. I don't lead foot it and drive reasonably. Anyone else with this issue?
    Depending on your driving, yes - that can be normal. Short trips, stop-n-go and idling is terrible on fuel mileage.
    I have a 2006 Merc Milan Premier V-6, bought Oct. 2006. The in town mileage is horrible! 14-17 mpg. I get 25 mpg highway. The dealer tells me it is because I take short trips. I've never had a car with this bad mileage. I don't lead foot it and drive reasonably. Anyone else with this issue?

Our 2007 SEL AWD V-6 Fusion, bought Dec. 4, 2006, only get 14.8 mpg in all-city driving. We have 3,400 miles on it. For the first 2,000 miles it only got 13 mpg.

Our terrain is as flat as a pool table. The climate is mild. The tire pressure is 36 psi (3 psi higher than normal for better mileage). My wife and I are both conservative, gentle drivers.

The dealer checked out the car with a portable computer at 1,500 miles and pronounced everything to be AOK. On highway trips the Fusion will deliver 24-26 mpg. Unfortunately, 95 percent of our driving is in-city, stop-and-go.

Dealer says the car will not be broken in until it reaches 5,000 or more miles. The revised EPA estimate for the AWD V-6 6-speed automatic transmission is 17 mpg city, 24 mpg highway. Without the AWD, the EPA estimate is 19 mpg city, 26 mpg highway.

Of course, very few cars actually deliver the EPA estimate, yet I have seen some pretty decent numbers for the V-6 from people who post on the four forums where I participate, but no one with AWD is getting good numbers, that I have found.

In retrospect, I wish we had bought an I-4. We don't need either the V-6 or the AWD. We have a bit of buyer's remorse at this point but really like almost everything else about the car.

Guess we are just going to have to live with a bad initial decision. But, our next car will definitely be a four cylinder, maybe a four-cylinder diesel, just for the mileage.
    Now how did we all know that was coming? :blush:
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    By offering the "piano black" plastic trim option the Fusion may be the only mid-size sedan to offer a "non-plood" alternative. That, in and of itself, is a positive attribute from our vantage point.

Well, it's not the only one, but agree that no "plood" or even actual real wood is a positive in my book as well.
    The Fusion interior in medium light stone or charcoal with the piano black trim is awesome. The camel and plood versions are somewhat more pedestrian.
    We have the dark charcoal interior (and black leather) interior with the piano trim and like it a lot, but it's a scorcher now that summer is about to arrive.

It also attracts dust like a magnet but it's still preferable to plastic wood, which my wife and I really dislike.

"Plood" just looks so, well, phony.
    I'm a fan of comfort, so would never choose leather over cloth.

The wood in interiors is usually just an appearance thing, that I don't care for the appearance of. If they make the steering wheel partly wood then it can be comfort as well as appearance...I don't think a wood wheel is as comfortable to hold.
    I'm a fan of comfort, so would never choose leather over cloth.

This is a common misperception - that leather is hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It is - for about 3 minutes. Leather quickly adjusts to your body temp and stays there. And it doesn't absorb spills and sweat like fabric seats.
  • bdymentbdyment Posts: 551
    It depends on the quality of the leather. We had two cars with perforated leather and they were very comfortable--summer or winter. The other two had regular smooth leather and were very hot and sticky in the summer OK in the winter due to heated seats.
    I've sat on enough leather and cloth to know which I find to be more comfortable.
    I didn't say one was more comfortable than the other, just that some people make assumptions about leather that may not be true.
  • mmcar2mmcar2 Posts: 6
    Hi All,
    Sorry, but I'm confused about the spoiler. I am thinking of getting one since it was mentioned here that it will improve visibility as it removes the brake light in the rear window.

Other than that, would the spoiler on a FWD Milan serve any purpose? I was reading about spoilers and it was mentioned that they might improve fuel economy.

Is it a good idea to get one?
    Outside of the race track or Autobahn they're cosmetic only.
    Sorry, but I'm confused about the spoiler. I am thinking of getting one since it was mentioned here that it will improve visibility as it removes the brake light in the rear window.

If you are ordering a new Milan a spoiler might (should?) improve rear visibility since the rear window brake light would not be installed. The brake light would be in the spoiler.

If you already own the Milan an add-on spoiler might not help since dealers do not ordinarily remove the rear window brake light, they just add the spoiler.

As you have already deduced, the spoiler is a cosmetic item, they provide nothing but looks. Some folks like them, some don't. I wish our car had come from the factory with one, to help with the rear visibility, but it is something that I am not going to add after the fact (about $500 cost).
    I don't like spoilers myself, but I did notice when I had a Contour that had one that this does help with being aware of where the rear end of your car is when backing up. With the high rear deck of the Milan/Fusion, I can understand how this might be helpful.

I have the similar Mazda6, with no spoiler and have no problems with backing up, but this has a much lower rear deck that the Fusion/Milan.
  • Bought a 2007 Milan yesterday. Basic model black with 4 cyl and manual transmission. I was going for cost.

The price was just too good to pass up