Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    2) which GM should i call (purchase or closest)

I'd say start with the one from the dealer who sold you the car. If he cannot help you, then ask HIM where to go next, and explain in no uncertain terms that you are NOT going to stop until you have an answer as to why your car performs so poorly.

Just be both exceedingly polite and exceedingly stubborn.
  • orly1orly1 Posts: 19
    dear pf_flyer,

your request to "be my friend" has disappeared from my carspace mail box.

i have some unanswered questions for you, what is your role as HOST? why have you not responded to any of my posts?

can i no longer send you messages through carspace mail box?

you seem to have a practical understanding what to expect when dealing with toyota, so why not chime in on my issue?

is not a performance issue which is/has cost money slightly more important that "non-safety related noises"?

yours truly.

orly 1
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Pennsylvania Furnace, PAPosts: 5,859
    Click on my username and you can email me directly.

Need help navigating? pf_flyer@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• akt1000akt1000 Posts: 15
    Are the US regions other than Washington getting any 2010 Camry Hybrid? I haven't seen any 2010 Camry Hybrid in our area (at dealers or their web sites) even though they were supposed to be out 6 months back. Still see only the 2009 models. Even the Toyota web site does not allow me to build the 2010 Camry Hybrid!
  • Here in Orange County, CA, tch has been in dealerships for over 2 weeks. Took test drive in one a few days ago and was pleasantly pleased. Toyota dealer in San Juan Capistrano had two on lot 3 days ago, claiming they were "the latest shipment." Got call from Anaheim, CA dealer who said he has a gray metallic CH in stock. My opinion: tch will increase its presence here in SoCal. Btw, 2 dealerships claimed they will "work with the price" in that age-old attempt to get business. The 2010 CH is a very nice car. It shows and drives very well.
  • orly1,

Is your ECONOMY mode turned on??

I cannot tell you how many TCH owners do not know about this feature in thier cars!!

If you do not activate this feature, you will get less-than-expected mpg!

I bet this is your problem.

I own a 2007 TCH with 70,000 trouble-free miles, and avrerage 38-40 mpg. My highest mpg was 60 (really!) I always have the ECONOMY mode turned on.

I hope this helps!
  • I purchased a new 2010 TCH fully loaded from Tustin Toyota in Orange County, CA on Oct 7th. I went through the Costco car buying program and got really good pricing. I love the car. My first new car purchase ever, and first hybrid. I drive 80 miles a day for work and got 550 miles on my first tank of gas with a 39.5 mpg. That was just driving the car like I would any other car, and not using fancy hybrid driving techniques. Couldn't be happier with my purchase.
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,534
    Sounds great...mind telling us the deal you got?
  • You had 60 mpg for an entire tank? Did you go downhill continuously for 600 miles? That's really impossible for this car. That would be an incredible feat even in a Prius.

I own a 2007 Camry Hybrid and my wife has a 2008 Camry Hybrid. The best mileage either of us has ever had for a full tank (calculated) was 41 mpg, and that was in perfect weather under almost ideal driving conditions, using all of the tricks that you can take advantage of with this car. Most of the time we both average around 36-38 mpg in nice weather, much lower in the winter.
  • I will bet you my Hybrid that you can't get 60 mpg in your car for 2 full gas tanks. I've already averaged 46, but I drove downhill the entire time from Flagstaff to Phoenix. Stop exaggerating so much. Be realistic. If you average 35 to 38 and drive like a normal human being, not being in everyone's way, going 15 mph below the speed limit, you've done good. Considering my Hyundai Accent got a real 28 mpg, I feel good about my 36 mpg Camry.
  • cdn_tchcdn_tch Posts: 194
    The person didn't say it was a tank average. They would have to clarify.

I've done a 47.3mpg tank which was a single round trip over 700 miles, but my best single drive was a 217mpg average over about a 40 minute drive. We were in the Black Hills and did the Needles Highway. It is mostly down hill and fairly slow going... :P :shades: ;)
  • How did you calculate that given the max it will show on the navigation screen is 99.9 mpg?
    stalnaker: How did you calculate that given the max it will show on the navigation screen is 99.9 mpg?

I don't have the nav, so I picked up a ScanGauge II. It ends up showing a bit lower mpg than actual because of a bug in the firmware which shows that the car is consuming some fuel in EV mode.
  • 60 mpg is not a load of crap, at least not according to my TCH's trip computer.

Just to clarify, this mileage figure occurred a one point during a return trip home on I-80 from the Sierra Mountains. If you have a Nav system, like I do, the mileage calculations appear as-you-drive in real-time. My other mileage figures of 38-40 are per trip, not per tank. I hope this clears things up. ;)

My original point was that TCH owners who were getting unsatisfactorily low mpg readings, and could not figure out why, probably did not have their Economy function activated.

Cheers!
    The ECO button is only for the A/C. It will run it less and the CPU will tolerate a bigger temp fluctuation. Outside of that it will not do anything for your mileage per se.
  • I paid $500 over invoice. So after tax, title, and other fees it came out to 33k and some change, about what the sticker was. So without the Costco pricing I would have been paying way over sticker when all was said and done.
    Plus the Costco pricing is an easy take it or leave deal. You sit down, they show you the price, you say yes or no, and that's it. Very simple and relaxed.
  • all your homework looks pretty well, however, we all need to consider that on top of all these calculations, the TCH not only saves you money on the day to day maintenance cost but also on those expensive periodical ones that you have to do every other year at least...that is...fluids (steering wheel, transmission, etc) just on these 2 you are saving at least $600 every other year that you have to shoulder on "normal" cars.
    I am very please with the very low maintenance cost of this car
  • vaeldoradovaeldorado Posts: 1
    I traded in my 02 BMW 525i. Hmm, why did I do that? Mileage? I think not. Instead, I now have HOV plates for I66 in Northern Virginia for my 23 mile one way commute.

How do I like the car? It drives fairly well, plenty of power, but also plenty of body roll through the corners. No, it is not a BMW, but I am hoping for the reliability that I get with my 03 Highlander that I also own.

My Red Rocket is fully loaded, except for missing fog lights, (what's up with that?). Leather, moon roof, NAV, alloy wheels (an option in the 11 model year) and the Bridgestones (no Michelins?!) My car was both made and purchased in May 2010 and my price OUT THE DOOR was $30.2K.

Point me to work!
  • hornsby23hornsby23 Posts: 5
    I put this on the general Camry forum, but got no response. I'm working with World Toyota (Atlanta) on a deal for a 2011 Camry Hybrid, options/fees listed below. The TMV Edmunds gives me is 29706.

Upgrade Package w/Nav
    Moonroof Package
    Integrated Front Fog Lamps
    Heated Outside Mirrors
    SET Destination Charge for NC, SC, GA, AL and FL
    SET Administration Fee for NC, SC, GA, AL and FL
    50 State Emissions

I've got a "no haggle" quoted price of 27996. My plan is to finance with Toyota--0% 60 months with a decent sized down payment. Does everyone expect the 0% deal to be extended?

What do you think about the potential deal?

Thanks!
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Posts: 32
    Suggest at a minimum that you check out www.truecar.com. It is one of the best search sites I have seen for digging up the most competitive price. You will enjoy the car. I get between 38-40 in warm weather and 36-38 in colder weather (Connecticut0. Only complaint are the performance tires they put on only lasted 35,000 and that was with rotation every 5,000 miles. Replaced them with Hankook, which were highly rated on snow and ice, but they are all season tires with a 100k rating.
  • snaab93se1snaab93se1 Posts: 69
    How long have you had the hankook tires? Do you notice a mileage difference from the original tires? How does the car ride on the hankook tires? Quieter? Noisier? Smoother? rougher?
  • bbrimmerbbrimmer Posts: 32
    Literally just got them and they feel softer than my oroginal Bridgestone Turanza ones. But that could be that they others were worn down. Quieter and smoother.
  • Was at the dealer today and was told that the synthetic oil was good for 10,000 mile interval on my 2008 TCH. Does anyone know if this is correct...I was under the impression that tis interval was only for 2010 and later model years.
    Thanks in advance for your reply.
    What does the owner's manual say? Manual trumps dealer in my opinion.
  • Just bought a 2011 TCH.

Here are the quality issues I observed so far.

1. Seat belts for front passengers are very difficult to reach.
    2. The auto-dimming mirror is not anchored correctly, it is wobbly. The same on all cars on the dealer's lot.
    3. My NAV display unit has magenta color cast and dealer says not a thing wrong with it.
    4. The JBL sound system cannot display artist's name on tracks. The same CD displays artist's name and all with no problem on 2008 Honda Accord and 2007 TL.
    5. The left rear passenger's mat does not have a shaped cut correctly, and thus goes over (instead of around) a plastic housing underneath the driver's seat.

Dislikes:
    (1) I hate the outside mirrors that do not fold. Hello? I paid $33K for this car.
    (2) I hate the expensive stereo that cannot display the CD text properly; and the fact that there is no STOP button.
    (3) There should be vent holes at the last four inches of the moon-roof shade so that air could come in when "moon-roof is in the up position and the shade is in shut position".
    (4) Shortcomings of LEDs. The dimmer for the instrument panel is not smooth across the range. It is almost like ON and OFF.
    (5) The RF remote control could be flatter or more attractive. I paid $33K for the car, hello!
    With all those "dislikes" it sounds like you bought the wrong car for you.

Take it back.
  • I am driving the 2000 Camry now and test drove the 2011 TCH yesterday. Honestly, did not like it at all. Humongous body roll and too much play on the steering. Has anybody experienced it s well or is it just me? My 2000 Camry "hugs" the road much better. Not sure why Toyota has chosen to go down that path, but I am going to look at the Altima Hybrid today...
    Well, hybrids are not known for "road hugging" because they are not designed as a sports car.

Some of them handle better than others, but the whole point of a hybrid is to enjoy it as a high mileage vehicle, and not to punish it on a tight, curvy mountain road.

I have owned two hybrids in the last 6 years, and the enjoyment comes from the MPG meter, not from the steering wheel.
    Make sure you also check out the Fusion hybrid, better handling than the Camry.