Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Toyota Camry Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• syee101syee101 Posts: 1
    You push "Option" on the GPS map screen. Then select "Stop guidance".
  • TCH sales in 2011: 9200+ :(

TCH sales in March 2012: 5400+ ;)
    BD
  • I have one of the first Camry Hybrids made, and I never get a hesitation when starting. I'd take it back to the shop and make them fix it.
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    If you recently traded in a gas guzzler for a more fuel-efficient new vehicle, a reporter wants to talk with you. Please email PR@edmunds.com no later than Friday, April 13, 2012 with your daytime contact info and the makes and models of the vehicles.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• ngarkonangarkona Posts: 1
    Just got my TCH XLE for 2 weeks. Anyone feel headache after driven the hybrid? And took more than half an hour to recover. I am wondering if there is excessive radiation from the cable? Anyone know the Magnetic radiation measurement rating for this car? I'm a bit worry. Talked to Toyota Canada and the agent said she never heard this problem before.
  • This car is a total surprise! Rides great, extremely quite, has real power if desired, great electronics (blind side is a must) and it is getting 40mpg. Price really not that bad considering all the goodies, 34,800 window sticker, out the door, 33,200 with a bit of talking. Can you believe they wanted list. Only option missing is the rear trunk spoiler, no big deal.... Now hear this, Lexus will have it's version of this car and I bet it will go in the mid 40,s with just a bit of sheet metal changing. Available this fall.....

Anyway 900 miles so far and love it........
  • I have one and have driven only 900 miles so far with no problems. Only headache is that the gas stations are missing my former business. We are in NH in the States and I have many friends with CHB's not reporting any such problems. Are you driving under Canadian Hydro lines, sorry just kidding......
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    I think it's much more likely that you may be allergic to some chemical used in the TCH (which are part of that 'new car smell'), rather than EMR, which surrounds all of us while indoors (from house wiring).
  • oz_22151oz_22151 Posts: 7
    I'm on week 3. 800 miles. 2nd tank of gas.

I love the car but I do have some complaints.

Homelink; can't get the darn thing to work yet!
    DVD; put in a dvd but it doesn't play video, just audio. WTF
    CD; YES
    Bluetooth; paired iPhone 4, iTouch and iPad no problem. Wife's nokia is problematic, phonebook won't xfer.
    XM Weather Forecast; sometimes it works, sometimes it don't. Button just grey out.
    TPMS; what a waste. If they recommend 35 PSI then why did they put 40 in there ?
    Voice recognintion sucks. I say call Allen, it says Call Emily ? I say call home, it says Call Ony ?

Other than the above I do love the car. It has power when I need it. Before new Camry, wife complained that I drive too fast. After Camry, wife complained that I drive too slow. I'm trying to get the MPG to go up.

Wash car almost everyday, clay bar once, sealant applied twice, wax once already. Running out of detail spray on one bottle already.

$250 - $300 spent on car stuff already, clay bar, wax, sealant, microfiber towels, various spray, etc.

Already sprayed carpet and floor mat with protectant spray. Still need a good car duster.

HTH.
  • wildtexanwildtexan Posts: 1
    Has anyone out there owned a 2011 and gone to the 2012? I love my 2011. Had full intention of buying the 2012 when it came out. Better mileage and bigger trunk were definite plus. Problem, I hated the BLACK dash (live in southern Florida), can't get full leather ( seems partial leather) and frankly it appears the interior on the 2012 really seems cheesy.

Everything else would be great. No doubt MPG posted are accurate and love performance and the dealer service.

Any comments or suggestions?
  • texasestexases Posts: 5,424
    You'll be taking a major $$ bath on a 1 year trade in. You mention full vs. partial leather - no cars I know of in this price range are 'full leather', the leather is the seating surface, the rest is not. The reviews I read liked the 2012 interior over the 2011, but that's up to you.
  • esk59esk59 Posts: 1
    joon, the hybrid system on your car is designed to only allow for 75% charge and never a full charge. This extends the life of the traction battery. Hope this helps.
  • sbkcpasbkcpa Posts: 6
    I have only had my Camry Hybrid XLE for a few days now, but I am very impressed with it. It seems to do everything better than I had expected it to. There is plenty of room, a comfortable ride, good handling, and it has a nice solid feel to it, plenty of power, it accelerates like a V6...and most important...it gets AMAZING gas mileage! There have been a couple of times when I got slightly over 44 MPG just driving to work, or running errands. Contrary to what a lot of critics have said...I think it looks pretty sharp! I got the Magnetic Gray Metallic, and have gotten a lot of compliments on it. No buyers remorse here...just buyers happiness
  • sbkcpasbkcpa Posts: 6
    My 2012 TCH XLE also has a very slight hesitation/vibration when I accelerate from a complete stop, and the gas engine turns on. The one I test drove also did this...so it must be normal. The car is so quiet and vibration free other than this.
  • This car is unlike any other driving experience - very different. I have an XLE loaded with everything. Gauges and lights are nicely placed and take no time to acclimate. Continuous variable transmission means no shifting - so gear changes are smooth because there aren't any. Can't notice when shifts from gas to electric - and 48.3mpg in first 200 miles! big help at $3.84/gallon. Have a challenge uphill highway on ramp in the morning - still have enough go to not feel pressured from traffic. Knobs and buttons are nicely placed and the dash is big upgrade from 2010, 2011. Sounds made while braking remind me of sci fi movies. This is not a sports car so it does not have that kind of pull - but the driving experience so far is superb. Handling is nimble and precise. Components inside have a nice feel. Leather trimmed seats feel great. I am very happy with this car - previous Accord owner - and I loved that car.
  • nceencee Posts: 419
    Hi. I'll be getting a new 2013 Avalon and would consider the Hybrid if I knew what to expect in the years to come.

- Repair costs?
    - Maintenance costs?
    - Long Term Costs?

I drive 36,000 miles a year and 75% is highway. Will I save enough to justify the added cost for the car upfront and then any added costs for up-keep in the years ahead?

I currently have a 2011 Avalon LTD, with 36,000+ miles (traded a 2008 Avalon Touring, (with 66,000+ miles) which was purchased from a Traded in 2007 Camry with 42,000+ miles).

I like the Avalon a lot, and yes, I like the idea of 40 MPG, but not if the upkeep is 10, 15, or 20% more, and repair cost for replacement batteries and such are a lot more down the road.

As you can see I don't normally keep a car long, but I may keep this will for several years (my wife laughed when I said this) and knowing that, I want to make the right discussion.

Any insight on hybrids would be helpful.

Skip
  • I had a 2009 Camry Hybrid for 47K miles. I traded it only because it was not an AWD and we were experiencing a bad winter in New England a few years ago so I opted for a Venza AWD 4 cylinder and it gets about 25 mpg combined.
    As for extra cost with the Hybrid, nothing additional except that the tires only went to about 35K. I cannot figure whether that was the tire or the way braking works with Hybrids. Also, I took a large hit with my trade-in. In January 2010 I was told by Toyota dealers that no one was buying pre-owned hybrids. That may have changed. You sound like a loyal Avalon fan, and the 2013 promises to be the best looking one yet. Good Luck.
  • va hybrid userva hybrid user Posts: 5
    edited October 2012
    I just had my 60,000 mile checkup for my hybrid Camry and it cost me probably $80. If you change the oil every 3K miles you should have negligible repair and maintenance costs.
  • No added costs so far... 2008 Camry hybrid just passed 69,000 miles. Oil changes every 5K, rear brakes replaced under warranty (defect) at 30k (no charge) still have 7 or 8mm left on those pads as well as the front. Original tires lasted 50kmi. Only repair so far was a melted trunk release from the phoenix sun at $150 installed. Intermittent problem with a rear door lock that will need attention at the next oil change. Hands down the most trouble free car I've ever had and 36+ mpg....tanks go between 500-600 miles between fill ups. Want a Avalon hybrid or ES300h but afraid to trade since this one has been so good to me and I have had 5 lemons before this one.
  • I just bought my second Camry Hybid...this one is a 2012 Silver Camry Hybrid XLE with navigation, moonroof, leather pkg, auto-dimming mirror with Homelink, back up camera, smart key entry, and more. I paid $29,418.00 which included the $1,000. rebate and got 0.9% financing over 60 mos. on the $22,000. I financed. The MSRP was $32,340.00. I've been getting a little over 40 MPG even with all the hills I have to go over in Southern Oregon. I love my Camry Hybrid! My first Camry Hybrid was a 2008 and would have been an XLE if they had trims back then.