Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Changes You'd Like To See in the Toyota Camry Hybrid

Comments

• newcarsnewcars Posts: 103
    I had to laugh when I read about your issues with your Treo 700p. Both my wife and I have Treo 700p smartphones and everytime either one (or both) of us get into our Camry Hybrid, it is a crapshot if our phone will work or not. In fairness to Toyota, however, this seems to be a problem with the bluetooth in the Treo 700p; as a lot o automobiles have problems with it.

As for what I would like to see in my Camry Hybrid:

1) A better navigation system. Not only would I like it to be more accurate (you are correct about the "you have reached your destination" message when you are still half a block away) but I would like more destination options. For example, I am a vegetarian and I would like a list of vegetarian restaurants when I travel (like with the Acura navigation system).

1a) A quieter navigation systems. Sometimes I think my navigation system "talks" just to say something. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard "keep on I95" when I am not only several miles from my exit but also there is no exit of any kind nearby. I'm not lonely; can the car please shutup!

2) A "smart" navigation system/XM radio combination like Acura (and now the Nissan Altima) has. The real-time traffic features of the NavTeq system in the Acura and Nissan is not only neat but useful.

3) Radar-assisted cruise control. This is not only a neat feature but I would think it would be especially useful and appreciated with hybrid drivers who just want to "cruise" to their destination, maximizing their fuel economy. Maybe I'm just lazy but I find it annoying (and probably detrimental to my overall fuel economy) when I need to frequently change speed, constantly turning off and reseting my cruise control on the highway due to traffic.

4) A backup camera. Another neat feature that you really miss when its not there. Again, something that the new Nissan Altima (including the Altima Hybrid) has that the Toyota doesn't.

5) Better handling. Actually, for a Toyota, the Camry Hybrid really doesn't handle too badly but it still is not a "driver's car" by any stretch of the imagination. I would guess most people are satisfied with the way their Toyotas handle but, personally, I think it could stand to be improved. Make it a bit sportier without losing its comfort.

All in all, however, I quite like my Toyota Camry Hybrid. While it is not perfect, I actually enjoy it.

And its great to be getting about 35mpg when gas is approaching $3/gallon again.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    "you have reached your destination" message when you are still half a block away

I was sitting at a 4 way stop intersection when it told me that recently. had no clue as to which way I was to turn.

A recent trip to Ohio I was driving on a road that was not on the map. That's really confusing. Also a trip to nags head showed me going across the water (newer road) yet I could look to my left and see the old bridge in the distance that was on the system.

I would like SE handling. I don't like slowing down for curves as it hurts my FE ;)

All in all, at 19,500 miles and 38.86mpg, it's been a good car ownership experience.
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    Here... here... you are absolutely right about your add-ons. As cruise control is recommended to keep ones mpg up, radar assisted cruise control would be great. I have been thinking the same thing about how inefficient it is at times regarding the fuel economy.

A backup camera would be a dream as I park in a narrow alley for work. I have had thoughts of adding a backup camera.

You are also right about it not being a true 'driver's car' but I write that off partially to it being a hybrid and trying to get that extra mpg. But then I am not in my old BMW - though my wife's Saaburu more than makes up for it.

I just installed xenon headlights to compensate for not having fog lights. Toyota said it would cost close to $1,000 for all the parts and installation... which isn't close to being worth it. I have to drive in foggy areas where there is a heavy deer population at 6 AM and on some late nights coming home from photographing a wedding. New Jersey is a haven for deer.

But these additions would make it a dream car... but i definitely enjoy what I have... my kids would have disowned me for buying a Prius... but it's cool to have a TCH.
  • gampagampa Posts: 78
    Lateral support in the seats...

Acura has them, Honda has them, Volkswagen has the,... why not Toyota.
    Sometimes I fell like the seats are made for the... to be nice... heavy set.
    When I extend the lumbar support, I feel like I am on my living room couch.
    I just don't feel part of the car.

After three months I just cannot find that sweet spot.

I have found a "tolerable" position... but just above average - at best.

Any one else find this problem?

Gampa
    plknj, since you live in New Jersey, could I ask a big favor of you?

All in all, I am very satisfied with my Toyota Camry Hybrid but I confess that if the Nissan Altima Hybrid was available when I made my purchase, I would probably have traveled to a nearby state (interestingly, New Jersey) and given that car a serious look. Especially since with the Technology Package the Altima Hybrid has many of the features I long for in my Camry Hybrid.

If you ever have the opportunity, could you test drive an Altima Hybrid, preferably one with the Technology Package?

I am just very curious as to how you, as a Toyota Camry Hybrid owner, would compare it to your car.
  • stevedebistevedebi LAPosts: 3,784
    "As cruise control is recommended to keep ones mpg up, radar assisted cruise control would be great. I have been thinking the same thing about how inefficient it is at times regarding the fuel economy."

Actually, adaptive cruise control may be less efficient, since it follows the flow of traffic, which in my experience has way too much acceleration followed by sudden braking. That would trash MPG.

It would be very convenient, of course, but may come at a price.
    If I ever get the urge... I will, though I think they will be suspicious if I pull up in a fully loaded 2007 TCH!
    ;)
    Thanks. I'm just very curious.
    The problem is that even without adaptive cruise control, you are accelerating and braking with the flow of traffic regardless. The thought/hope is that it would be smoother and more fuel-efficient with adaptive cruise control.

And more convenient.
    ;)
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    "As cruise control is recommended to keep ones mpg up"

I have not found that to be the case. It simply makes it easy to get good FE. Great FE will only occur I believe by leaving it off and maximizing the hybrid driving techniques. Cruise on my frequently taken trip of 125 miles nets me 37 to 38 mpg, but if I want to work at it I can get 42 without cruise. Even with cruise and the 37 there are hills I would turn it off because I could hear the reving of the engine and PSDtranny trying to keep the mph up and I have a hard time listening to that knowing it's killing my FE ;)
  • wingmanwingman Posts: 19
    How about a wiper for the back window and a GPS system as good as Garmin. Rear view camera and a better console that doesn't squeak.
  • dmhltd1dmhltd1 Posts: 31
    I had Michelins on my Solara. They were smooth and quiet but wore out quickly and I was surprised that Michelin didn't offer any kind of mileage guarantee. I went with Dunlop sport A2's.
    The only one I haven't seen mentioned is memory seats. When ever I get in after letting someone else drive I have a heck of a time getting the seat adjusted where I think I had it before. My 1995 explorer had memory for two drivers and that feature was one that actually continued to work as long as I owned the vehicle. I hate having to scroll through the dash display. I agree with the poster that recommended a backward button. I'm also not getting the mileage others get but that's for a different forum.
    "The problem is that even without adaptive cruise control, you are accelerating and braking with the flow of traffic regardless. The thought/hope is that it would be smoother and more fuel-efficient with adaptive cruise control."

I drive on LA freeways, and I do not overdo the acceleration and braking. I watch the traffic and anticipate trends. I do not use the brakes a whole lot, and gently accelerate. I'm not driving a hybrid, just being efficient.
    "I have not found that to be the case. It simply makes it easy to get good FE. "

Just for reference, when I put "QUOTES" in the post, it means I am quoting another post. You replied to something that I didn't originate.
    "had Michelins on my Solara. They were smooth and quiet but wore out quickly and I was surprised that Michelin didn't offer any kind of mileage guarantee."

That's odd, aftermarket Michelins have mileage warranties. The pair I bought had 80K miles (prorated, of course).
    The tires that came on the Solara were Michelin Energy MXV4. On Tirerack.com they show as having a warranty. They sure didn't when I went to replace them. They probably figured they were losing business and started offering a warranty.
    Agreed!

I forgot about that. Yes, the Camry Hybrid should definitely have memory seats.
  • regal1945regal1945 Posts: 25
    Mine have memory seats, 07
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    These want lists are interesting. Add them up, however, and the Carmy hybrid is beginning to get expensive.
    I searched the toyota specs for hybrid and XLE and can't find any mention of memory seats. How do you set them?
    Three switches, memory 1&2 on the left doorpanel, and one switch says set.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    and this is a 2007 Toyota Camry HYBRID???????????
    Recently... thanks to you all.. I have been getting 40 mpg and I think Toyota should go one step further than 'Excellent'... for moments like these I think they should go up a level like 'Outstanding'... 'You just saved a fortune'... 'Outtasite'... something one step above and beyond.

My new, loaded, '07 TCH has almost everything... but not memory seats! Though I just added Xenon headlights which my Toyota mechanic told me could void the warranty! I'll use them until they burn out... but what a difference... easier to see the deer at dusk and dawn.
    I was so intrigued by your message that got up from my desk and went outside to look at the left door panel of my car to see if, after all these months of ownership, I overlooked the obvious.

I'm sorry but I don't think you have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid. I have a fully-loaded version, there is not a factory option offered that I don't have, and I do not have memory seats.
    Besides adjustable settings, the driver's seat comes with an available two-position Toyota Memory System. The available memory system features settings for two different drivers and front-seat passengers. Both the driver's and front passenger's side exterior mirrors are also included. For added convenience when parking, the mirrors automatically tilt down when the Camry is placed in reverse. Available heated and ventilated front seats have separate heaters and fans in the seat cushion that provide comfort regardless of the weather.
  • kdhspyderkdhspyder Posts: 7,160
    Sorry that's the Avalon not the Camry unless you're talking about a different market.
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    once again, those are features available in SOME versions of the Camry, but not in the hybrid, at least not to my knowledge.
  • jbolltjbollt Posts: 734
    regal1945, in what country did you buy your Camry?