Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• lvwlvw Posts: 14
    The dealer can easily reprogram the warning to either match the few notes from the driver position or silence it entirely. Had mine done recently, when I had the car in for a regular service. Easy enough, of course, to simply buckle the seatbelt, but also very easy to get the warning changed.
  • Forum members,

I am the brand new owner of a 2008 Toyota Camry Hybrid, and I have a few questions. The first question (for now) concerns the VIP Security RS 3200 Plus system. Has anyone had it installed after initial purchase? Is it worth paying the extra few hundred dollars to have the Toyota dealer add it on my vehicle or is the factory standard engine immobilizer/door arm/disarm system sufficient enough? Is it worth the extra money to have alarm sounding capability and glass breakage alarms? I like bells and whistles and was wondering if it is worth the money (probably around $360 installed plus tax). I will look forward to your advice.

Paul
  • Your TCH looks great! Where did you buy the wood trim and how much? Did you install yourself? Thanks.
  • I recently bought a new Camry Hrybrid with the voice activated navigation system. I am not a stupid person, in fact I handle computer tech support, but I find it to be pretty much worthless. It is probably about the most user unfriendly system I have ever encountered. I took it back to the dealership and even they couldn't figure it out and suggested I come in for one of the classes they hold. Personally, I feel that a system should have a logical enough sequence of steps that you should at least be able to operate the basic functions without having to waste your time going to class to learn it.It is incredibly frustrating. Just to make a voice call you have to go through 4 steps. I love the car but feel I have been ripped off having paid somewhere around $2,000 for this worthless piece of garbage. Am I alone here or has anyone else encountered these problems?
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    I have not tried more than once to figure out the voice activation. The navigation is decent but I've been several places where the roads are not shown on the map. However I absolutely love the energy screens and this should be standard in every TCH. I would probably be bored with this car if not for these features. Worth $2K. Probably not. But I would not want a TCH without the energy screens and that's the only way to get them.
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    The amazing thing is that a great car manufacturer should put an inoperable "voice activated" system and the worst GPS system I have ever used in one of their cars.

Love my TCH and I too like all the bells and whistles, am quite computer savvy and have completely given up on using either of these functions. I am quite skeptical that even a Toyota taught class would help, having read and reread the manuals... but if you can make it work beyond adequate, I would be interested to know how.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    Most voice activated systems work better if you talk FASTER. Say the words you want the system to understand almost faster than normal speaking. Try it ....maybe it will work with your system. I do not use the voice activation, but I will try it also. "If you use bluetooth phone system another example would be to speak the "dial by number" command quickly. Not 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1,,,,,,,,but 111 111 1111. This works better to. hope this helps.
  • I am glad to see that I am not the only dummy out there. I just find it amazing that a great car manufacturer like Toyota would even put such a useless piece of equipment in their car. I will try the tips being offered and let you all know how the class goes. :cry:
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    I am glad to see that I am not the only dummy out there. I just find it amazing that a great car manufacturer like Toyota would even put such a useless piece of equipment in their car.

Isn't that really a very harsh statement to make? The Nav with voice guidance is a "useless piece of equipment"???? What exactly do you need that requires voice guidance? When driving, the Nav is de-activated for entering locations, only in Map mode. And if you needed to enter a destination, you'd be packed somewhere which should make use of your hands free to get it done.

I mean, people just loves to complain for the heck of it. I own an '08 TCH with Nav. I never use the voice guidance cos I can certainly use my fingers on the touch-screen to enter info I need to find. I also have an '03 LX470 with Nav, and a '99 LS400 with Nav. I have seen the evolution of Toyota's Nav system from the Gen-1 (in my '99) to the gen-7 in the TCH. I've never had to read a manual to operate these systems. Even my 15-yo finds it pretty easy to use....

This isn't rocket science folks.... The Nav system is written in a language you can understand. So what's the problem? Could it be our expectations far exceed the reality of these machines we buy???
  • That's interesting. You pay up to $2000 for a voice activated nav system and you don't care if the voice works. I guess you are the kind of customer Toyota loves and this system is made for. It is obvious that you have missed the whole purpose of having a voice activated system. IT IS SO YOU CAN MAKE PHONE CALLS AND OPERATE THE NAVIGATION BY TALKING TO IT SO THAT YOU DON'T HAVE TO STOP AND PULL OVER! I see that you have alot of experience with the Toyota system. Have you ever tried to use the system on an Infinity, Nissan, Honda or Acura? I have, and I was up and running in minutes without even having to look at a manual. That is the expectation I have for this system. You're right, I'm not a rocket scientist but I do have a college degree so I should not have to go to Toyota CLASS (yes they do have them) and get another one.
    I hear you... $2000 and it gotta be real easy to use, especially compared to other cars like the Honda or Acura. Yes, I have no experience with Honda/Acura, but like I said, if I set the destination from wherever I was at, why would I need voice activation? Oh I forget, to place a phone call.... I suppose you had already set up voice dial commands for each contact info in your phone book in the Bluetooth, correct? I have all my contacts downloaded easily to the car bluetooth (I have a Blackberry 8800), and haven't tried to set up any voice dial yet. I suppose it makes sense to want to place a call while Navigating... I agree with you, it should work as advertised....
  • I don't know if you are married but I am and this is my wife's car so guess what I have to do, learn it and then teach it. Two examples of what I am talking about. Every system I have ever used you type in the address, the map comes up and you go. This system, you hit the Destination button, type in the address, then have to hit the map button. Why? I know it is only one more step but that one more step takes the thought processes out of the logical flow and now you have to pick up the manual to figure out why it did not just start. Have you tried to make a VA phone call? Step 1 "press the talk button" Step 2 "say a command" Step 3 "say the number" Step 4 "after the screen updates press the talk switch" Step 5 "after the screen updates press talk switch or say dial. Five steps to make a simple call. Other systems you say "dial, 000 000-0000 and it dials. It's crazy.
    Maybe your '08 system is different than my '07 system... but with my system it is rocket science regarding voice activation and the nav system is barely adequate.
  • Hi, I live in northern California and I'm thinking about getting a hybrid Camry. However I'm a little concerned with the upgrade packages that are available. I don't think I want to get the NAV feature but I would like to get the leather seats.

When I log into the official Toyota web site to 'build' my car I note that there are only two options available in N. Cal. They don't seem to be true options since one or the other is mandatory. The higher upgrade package has both the NAV system and the leather seats. The lower package has neither.

When I put in a zip code in NJ or even NV I notice that there are a variety of upgrade packages including an intermediate configuration that seems to be just what I want (i.e. leather seats and no NAV).

Does anyone have any info about this situation? Is it possible to avoid the NAV feature while getting the better seats. Do I have to go to Reno to get the car that I
    want? That seems more than a little annoying. I just don't think I want the NAV.
    It's expensive and it will become obsolete fairly quickly and I don't get lost that
    often anyway.

Ps. One other question. If I ditch the NAV gizmo, do I still get the full display with all the other screens available (i.e. the panel that shows how power is being routed as well as the instantaneous MPG display)????

Thanks, BP
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    Toyota USA is divided into 12 territories, I believe. Each territory decides which option combinations it wishes to carry. Your complaint--wanting one option without another--is common. I've heard that some people succeed in getting a dealer to import the right vehicle from outside the territory, but it's rare. My Oregon dealer refused.

Hybrid vehicles without NAV display less information about power distribution. The non-NAV dislay tells you where power is going between battery, ice, and wheels, and the charge level of the battery. It's adequate for my needs. And of course the display inclues MPG (current and for the tank), miles remaining on tank, outside temp, average speed, miles traveled from current start, trip miles, etc.

Based on the complaints on these forums about the Camry NAV, I'm pleased to be using a portable Garmin GPS unit.
  • It seems like the California Toyota sales region is trying to play some revenue
    enhancing games. The other regions have five option packages while CA just has
    two packages.

I think it's a bit of a rip off. As you note, there are good portable NAV options these
    days.

I don't know what leather seats and a moonroof has to do with NAV. They should
    be independent choices as they are elsewhere in the country.

Grumble.

Thanks for confirming that the NAV-less display has the basic Hybrid output display. I thought that would be the case but I just wanted to confirm.
  • lzclzc Posts: 483
    While I also found the practice annoying, Toyota is hardly alone in this policy. Honda is even less flexible with options, although their configurations apply nationwide.

Originally, I was looking for an '07 non-hybrid with VSC and no moon roof. No way. The two came together. Period. By chance, I found a hybrid, which includes its version of VSC, without a moon roof. I've never seen another. It's been a great car. In mostly semi-rural driving (now Sonoma county) I consistently get 38-40 mpg.
    Though the nav is worthless.... everything else that came with the nav system was well worth the money.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    The nav is far from worthless..........
    Though the nav is worthless.... everything else that came with the nav system was well worth the money.

Please use, IMO, next time you say stuff like this.

I have Nav in all of my 3 cars and I am quite pleased with their use and utility. For some of us geography-challenged, it does come handy. And I prefer factory Nav over the AM ones... just me tho'. With factory Nav, you get not just directions and POIs but additional functions (bundle) including BT, Audio, Service info, TPMS, etc... etc... Plus you lose many of the steering wheel controls without the Nav unit installed... The info you get from the Nav unit and the many functions it displays give the driver a lotta materials many times better information than those with non-Nav units.