Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Camry Hybrid Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• "> I JUST BOUGHT MINE FROM TOYOTA OF DALLAS TX.75234.
    GREAT JOB ON PAINT MATCH ORIGINAL TOYOTA PART # BLACK PAINTED TO YOUR COLOR. PRICE FOR FRONT AND BACK PAIRS $70.80 PLUS $10.62 FOR SHIPPING. GREAT DEAL FOR PAINTED MUDGUARDS AT $81.42 SHIPPED TO PA.">
  • My beef is not what the Nav does. It is with the difficulty in operating it and with the voice activation. Example: With any Nav system I have ever used you plug in the destination address, click enter and you are on your way. Not this one. You have to go to the destination screen, plug in your address, then you have to go to another screen to map the route. Why? Plus you are supposed to be able to use voice activation to do all this. Have you ever tried to use it, it's worthless. To make a simple voice activated phone call, with other systems you just say "dial number" then the number and it calls. To make a voice activated phone call on this system you have to go through up to 5 steps to make a call. Why? Yes the other features are great, but when you pay $2,000 dollars extra for this system both the Nav and the Voice Activation should work easily and seamlessly.
  • plknjplknj Posts: 121
    "In My Opinion"... I agree with this and all else that has been said (by many others)about how difficult it is to use the nav system...
  • oacoac Posts: 1,594
    Thought to show off some changes made to my 2008 TCH. You'll find these on my car site here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2956833/2 But here are a couple pics...

HIDs (6000K) and Fogs

New chrome mesh grille

Rear spoiler and new 18" rims
  • Looks great.

How do the HIDs work? What was involved in their installation and what difference does it make in visibility? Is it street legal?
    Looks great.

How do the HIDs work? What was involved in their installation and what difference does it make in visibility? Is it street legal?

Thanks for the compliments...

The HIDs are 6000K and are NOT street legal, but you'd be hard pressed to find a cop pulling you over for your lights... I had it installed by a local audio shop, but the kit required modifying the bulb housing to fit the HID kit. I have HIDs on my other 2 Lexus vehicles and you really cannot compare HIDs to halogens... Its apples and oranges.... My Lexus cars had 4300K lumens, which are 15% brighter than the 6000K on my TCH but still plenty better than the stock halogens. Visibility is at least 5X better than my stock halogens, IMO.
  • n735xvn735xv Posts: 2
    Hello,

I have a 2008 TCH. I heard there was a modification to allow the electric motor to remain on for a slightly longer period before the ICE kicks in. Does anyone know anything about this or had the mod installed?
    Thanks
  • HI. I just bought a 2008 TCH. I am getting 40 mpg in Massachusetts, with a 64+ mile a day commute. So I am happy about this fact. However, you are correct, the ICE kicks in to fast. I have learned to control the kick-in and kick-off process. But WHAT A PAIN. First I have to start off, like I am a 90 year old driver, then I have to back off the throttle to kick off the ICE.

So if there is such an upgrade, I want know too.
  • I want to replace my stock wheels and tires on my 07' camry hybrid with an 18" package. Will I have any issues doing this? Will it effect the FE? What about Load Ratings? I've found the wheels, but I am still shopping for tires. (235/45/18)
  • tsytsy Posts: 1,551
    Bigger wheels and tires generally weigh more, and unless you need to install monster disc brakes, there usually isn't a functional reason to do so. It's typically for looks.

Heavier wheels and tires will affect your mileage, and the bigger tires are likely to increase rolling ressistance, once again decreasing your mileage.

Load ratings will depend upon what wheels and tires you buy, but as long as they are quality wheels and tires it shouldn't be an issue.

Good luck. Post pics when you get them on your car!

tom
  • spenbabaspenbaba Posts: 6
    I would talk to tirerack.com as they fit many cars with plus one and plus two wheels/tires. Plus two must look neat but the risk of bent rims and rough ride are there. Depending on wheel weight, your braking distances can also increase. Steering response should be improved.

On my TCH, I was tempted to go minus one for snow tires but opted to stay with the stock sizes.
  • pat85pat85 Posts: 90
    I used Silblade replacement wipers on the 4 Runner I traded in on my 09 TCH.
    They were garenteed for 5 years. I had them on for 4 years and they still worked fine.
    I have 18" on mine and it works perfectly. I also have 50 aspect ratio tire. No worries with upgrading your stock to 18"... Look around here and you can find my car pics so you can seee how it looks on 18".

Hope this helps
  • I live in Massachusetts also but only get about 35 mpg at best during my 20 mile, back road, 35 MPH average, commute. I to am looking for a easy way to get the 08 Camry to keep stay in electric mode longer to maximize MPG. I understand that the HP rating of the electric motor is not rated to drive the car alone in all conditions but more for supplemental power. Still I think there must be a simple way to reprogram the car to use more electric and less ICE. Heck the battery level never seems to drift off 90%.
    ---Captain Marty
  • talmy1talmy1 Posts: 55
    The car uses electric power when the ICE would not be able to run the car efficiently, so it is already doing the best it can. Running electrically on the battery is not free energy -- the battery is charged via the ICE and gasoline, and the charge/discharge cycle of the battery will use energy. So forcing more electric power will likely increase the gasoline consumption.
    Actually, you forgot about the regenerative braking, which in a sense is 'free' energy, or perhaps, recaptured energy that normally is wasted (turned into heat by your brakes). So some of that electrical energy is indeed 'free'.

I think the battery could be used more, and the car would get better fuel economy, but at the expense of battery life, which I'm sure Toyota doesn't want.

The car is perfectly capable of running just off the ICE (in fact, if you ever run the battery down this is precisely what the car does) and the car becomes a bit slower.

tom
  • n735xvn735xv Posts: 2
    Has anyone installed a wood accent kit to the interior of a new Camry? If so, where did you buy the kit, what areas does the wood cover, and how difficult was it to install.

Thanks for the help
  • spenbabaspenbaba Posts: 6
    I have noticed on several occassions that I have run in electric mode for a mile or more at 25-30 mph on a flat, straight road (along the beach) and the battery has run down to about 25%, according to the pictogram. This has happened when I am very gentle with the accelerator. It also happened when I was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic for about an hour. I will be curious to see how this affects battery life since I heard it is best to keep the battery charged, like from 60-80 % or so. I was definitely outside that and the controls seemed to allow it. During these times, the mileage on the bar graph is maxed out.
  • wvgasguywvgasguy Posts: 1,405
    While running in EV mode indeed saves on gas it does require recharging and thus the ICE will eventually run to recharge it. However I don't worry about hitting the EV mode, it is most economical when driving around 50 mph on rolling roads where I can use the momentum down hills to run at a FE of 60+ and then use the battery in conjunction with the ICE on the slight grades. If there is more hp available than needed then the ICE will charge the battery then as well. I don't find 35 mph as being very effecient. 40 to 50 seems to work best for me if I don't have a lot of stops.

37.2mpg lifetime after 45,500 miles in the hills of WV
    From what I understand, the battery graph we get is a bit deceptive. When it reads "0" the battery is actually at 50% (someone correct me if I'm wrong), thus keeping the battery in it's optimal range, and thus preserve battery life.

I'm sure as things improve so will the use of the batteries and we'll have higher mileage cars.

tom