Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• cowboy9cowboy9 Posts: 161
    Gerald,

Just a guess but I am beting you don't keep Vehicles long do you. I would be shocked if you keep your truck longer than 150K miles. I have owned Diesels and ran Diesel Equipment all my life and to not let the Glow Plugs do there job is just plain nuts, the whole purpose is to Heat the Heads and although you may think 60 and 70 degree's is warm enough the motor is actually a lot hotter than that when at normal running temp's. I know what I just said was a waste of my time.

Now I am not sure who you was writing too but it sounds like whoever you was writing too it's your Glow Plug Relay which sits up on top the motor and looks like a the old Starter Relay that sits on the Right Fender Well.
  • gerlad1gerlad1 Posts: 22
    Hi Cowboy,
    Hmmmm, I do have 120,000 miles on my 04 F250 6.0 and am not a professional mechanic BUT have spent many an hour under the hood and under trucks and cars.
    It is my understanding, that the small "spark plug" size glow plugs are in the cylinders to ignite the fuel/air mixture until there is enough residual heat in the block/heads to keep the combustion process going. The heat of compression with the proper engine crank speed appears to me to need help in starting the ignition process in diesels,, thus the glow plug.
    I don't want to start a debate, but it appears to me that the glow plug does not have enough energy to warm up anything (especially not the heads) except the volume of air surrounding it.
    I must admit, my garage temp this time of the year is probably 80+ degrees and I do normally look at my glow plug light before I try to start the engine and the time for a "cold engine" light to go off in my garage is approximately 1-2 seconds (after an overnight sit in my garage).
    I was responding to the guy who said the only way his engine would start up was hooking up the block heater--which I have never had to use.
    I have had my truck in freezing weather in Colorado elk hunting and it did take about 30 seconds for the glow light to go off--and I did wait for this before cranking.
    I have never read/heard that the glow plug function is to heat up the cylinder heads. Are you sure about this?
    Regards, Gerald
  • mediacommediacom Posts: 3
    Thanks Gerald and Cowboy. Hadn't even thought of the glow plugs not working properly. Light was coming on and staying on for a few seconds so I assumed they were working properly. That's what I get for thinking. Good thing thats not what I get paid for huh. :)

Anyway, thanks
  • Hello all, i am at my witts end, i have owned this truck for about 2 yrs now, have always started right up, well i bought a 99-250 and let dually set up about 2 months now it will not start, turns over, getting fuel , but no compression to fire off, I had one fellow tell me to put oil in engione because the rings have dried up, and they will not seal, so no compression. How true is this ? Any real help would be great. There are no dependable mechanics where i live so husband is trying to fix on his own, HELP ! Cindi Carter mississippi
  • paulpe99paulpe99 Posts: 6
    I have a 2003 (May) F250 Super Duty, 4x4, 6.0l diesel. The fan clutch was replaced in June 2007. In the last 13 months I haven't heard the usual, loud howl from the fan when temperatures rise. I now have a Palm PDA monitoring all my temps and my oil has been upto 252 degrees while towing! When is that fan supposed to kick into high gear? This fan clutch replacement was done by a Ford dealer. Any help would be appreciated.
    Hey Pony,

Sorry but kind of lost in your email, how long was the motor sitting for ? And let me get this right you are putting a motor out of a 99 into the 97 right ? I it may be the Computer not work with it, I know they are pretty much the same motor but they are Different.

Tony
    Hey Paul,

I don't mess with a lot of the 6.0L trucks as they are totally a piece of junk but what is the Red Line Temp for the Oil ? Yes I love that sound the Fan makes too but I don't hear mine anymore because of the Smoke Stack I have coming out of the bed of the truck now, lol.

Tony
  • Thanks Cowboy,

I will look into it. I just got it back today. They had it a total of 5 weeks, I had it a total of 3 days during that time. I am going to go trade it in in Texas where I bought it but before I do, I will call a couple of lawyers and see what they say my options are.
    Ford called me about a week or so ago and said that they had to special order a part (that's why it took so long to fix my truck). They said that when they opened it up to replace the head gaskets they saw that the part (whatever it was) had been broken since the factory (which is why it never did run correctly) and I have had problems with it since day one.
  • paulpe99paulpe99 Posts: 6
    tony,
    i thought the maximum continuous operating oil temp was 240 deg.
  • hypermax7hypermax7 Posts: 2
    i have a 2003 ford 6.0 with a hypermax mach 7 box but there is a miss when under acceleration when the truck is hot or cold. i have had it at ford twice this month and they said it was the mass air censor both times. but its doing it still i ask them them and the tech said it wasnt an injector any1 have any idea on what the problem is
  • kubikubi Posts: 1
    Have a 2000 Ford diezel 7.3. 380,000 kl On going problem. Sometimes after driving-parked for a few minutes- turn key and will not even crank over. When you first stop will crank over-let it set for a few minutes -engine compartment warms up-will not crank over. Dash lights on and driving lights.When you try and crank light go dimm. Seems to do it when it is hot. Open hood -let cool down for 20 minutes and will crank over and start up. Have had to Ford dealer-replaced batteries-IDM box-Alternator -camshaft sensor-and rebuilt starter. One Ford teck said put new starter not rebuilt. Lost faith in local dealership. Can anyone help.Cold ones are on me if so. Thanks
    Hey Paul,

I honestly don't know what the Oil Temp is suppose to be, never had that one come up but I will check into it tomorrow and email you back.

Tony
  • rgnomergnome Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 Ford F250 with a 7.3L. Had to replace a push rod in number one cylinder. Now I can't get it to start. Is there any way the trouble shoot the sensors in the system. It is acting like there is no fuel getting to the cylinders. I know there is fuel in the lines I have found a few leaks.
  • abouchabouch Posts: 6
    It sounds like we are having the same problem.
    The real deal is that the engine was poorly designed example: 7.3L engines have 18 head bolts and I believe the 6.0l has 10 so now we have an engine thats smaller and has been hot rodded from the factory to produce more power.

More compression, more boost and less head bolts = poor combination causing poor results, all the things that have been replaced are secondary to the real problem (pressure building up in the cooling system) causing EGR Cooler failure.

There is even Technical Bulletins that end with replacing the head gaskets however It is my opinion that the problem will re-occur and when warranty runs out you will pay for this out of pocket.

If you would like to converse more I am considering a Law Suit against Ford I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L with 55,000 miles and it is at the dealer right now and they tell me it needs a coolant tank.

Please pass this on, respond, get the word out, if I get enough response I will launch a web.

Anthony
    If you buy another be aware that the 6.4L is based on the 6.0L it has even more power so it could have more problems.

Please keep me posted.

Thanks,

Anthony
  • hypermax7hypermax7 Posts: 2
    well i have talked 2 the same tech from ford and he said that fuel pumps have been going bad due 2 the new fuel and he thinks thats my problem he told me 2 put a fuel presure gage on and see if the psi is jumping between 30 and 70
  • i was thinking about buying a 2005 ford f350 diesel with the 6.0 it has only 28,000 miles and i was wondering if anyone has had any major problems with this perticular engine.

Nick
    The real deal is that the engine was poorly designed example: 7.3L engines have 18 head bolts and the 6.0L and 6.4L engines have 10 so now we have an engine thats smaller and has been hot rodded from the factory to produce more power.

International should know better its a pretty dramatic difference when you look at previous engine designs and see three or four bolts on both sides of the cylinder bore then look at the 6 liter engine and see two, just not enough clamping power

More compression, more boost and less head bolts = poor combination causing poor results, .

There is even Technical Bulletins that end with replacing the head gaskets however It is my opinion that the problem will re-occur and when warranty runs out you will pay for this out of pocket.

If you would like to converse more I am considering a Law Suit against Ford I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L with 55,000 miles and it is at the dealer right now.

Please pass this on, respond, get the word out, if I get enough response I will launch a web site.

Anthony
  • I have a 2004 f250 the other day i was driving up a hill at 55. when i hit the gas pedal my truck started missing and pouring out black smoke. there was also a sound coming from the engine that sounded like a tire rubbing a wheel well. i was thinking it could be an injector but not sure can anyone help
    Hey Nick,

There are a very few that didn't have any problems with the 6.0L motor, and I do mean very few so my advice to you is run very fast the other way from it and save your self the headache. If you really want a Diesel and want a newer one then look for a 03 that still had the 7.3L which is kind of hard or a good 02, there is actually a lot of them out there as most yuppies that bought them only got them and never actually used them, most beds are cleaner then the inside of my truck and not even a scratch in them. Anyway good luck in your search and what you are looking for.

Tony
  • Hey Tony,

thanks for the advice.

Nick
  • I bought a 1996 F250. clean truck well maintained, no leaks, 270,000 miles, has a problem at startup. it starts to gallop and wont idle, if I acelerate slowly up to about 1800 rpm for 15 seconds or so it will smooth out at idle and run normal. acelerating the pedal slowley it does nothing for about the 1st inch then jumps up to 1800 - 2000 rpm, so it does not acelerate smoothley. does any one know what could be causing this problem? and what I need to do to troubleshoot and fix. sincerly. scott... kscottrose@hotmail.com
  • I have solved my problem with a lot of expense. Seems the first owner of my truck installed a Superchip into the ECM. The chip went bad and caused the problems. The Ford mechanic pulled it out and the truck runs ok. I do notice a loss of power and mileage that the chip was providing.

Anyway, pull the chip before you buy an expensive ECM. The dealer tried to charge me a restocking fee for the ECM they ordered but I wouldn't stand for it and they backed down.

Hope this post helps someone.

PS: Anyone using a Superchip???? I found them on the internet and might replace the bad one.
    lol, You must have the pre 99 model year. I forgot all about those. I guy I used to know had that same problem. He had Spent like 400 plus dollars on the chip and he kept having it do that same thing. It was about 2 or 3 years later when they came out with the Programmer and did away with the Chip. I never bought the chip but have bought 3 Programmers for my trucks and they work great. This 01 I have now had that Dilobo or what ever kind of Chip in it when I got the truck and I pulled it out and used the Programmer but not quick enough as the chip messed up the system and has had to have some work done on it.

Tony
  • I think when I trade in I am going to just get a King Ranch 150 until Ford can figure out the problems. Besides, they are practically giving away the 150's right now. If you are considering a class action suit and think we might have a leg to stand on, and can get someone to take the case against Ford...I am all for it and just tell me where to sign up.
    Tell me how to get the word out and I will help out in any way I can. I know I am just a silly girl, but there are plenty of us out there that are getting screwed over by Ford and don't know any better. Fortunately, I happened upon this website and all of ya'lls help and suggestions. If nothing else, I am always up for a good underdog battle against the corporate giants with fat pockets that will try to wait and starve the little guys out. I have nothing but free time on my hands and love to do research (including legal loopholes) I am a stickler for tedious details that most people overlook.
  • I am looking at purchasing an '05 and was looking for any experiences like yours that would be helpful. It appears that experience is all over the place. Are you recommending not purchasing? I want this to be a buy and hold vehicle.

Thanks!

Brian Johnson
    bajohnson1@gmail.com
    Brian,

Ford buyers beware 6.0L a defective engine.

Please read below it is a prior posting, I would like to add that I have talked with other people that have had their EGR Cooler, Fan Clutch, Coolant Tank and Cap, and Head Gaskets in that order in my case it also needed a cylinder head.

What does Cyl. Head on National backorder tell you?

Others I have spoke with have had their vehicle bought back by Ford, they are limited in what they will share beyond the fence post because Ford makes them sign a non disclosure agreement as part of the buyback.
    How do you spell "COVERUP" ?

When you go to the Dealer for warranty they act like your the only one having a problem they even told me they couldn't find anything wrong this last visit I had to tell them I wasn't going to take the truck till it was fixed.
    I can assure you this is the big deal that has knocked Ford out of the #1 Truck slot.

"Ford’s claims that Super Duty pickups with the 6.0L diesel could not be repaired. The auto maker said it had to buy back the trucks from customers."
    See article http://wardsauto.com/ar/ford_diesel_navistar/

Anthony

Previously Posted
    The real deal is that the engine was poorly designed example: 7.3L engines have 18 head bolts and I believe the 6.0l has 10 so now we have an engine thats smaller and has been hot rodded from the factory to produce more power.

More compression, more boost and less head bolts = poor combination causing poor results, all the things that have been replaced are secondary to the real problem (pressure building up in the cooling system) causing EGR Cooler failure.

There are even Technical Bulletins that end with replacing the head gaskets however It is my opinion that the problem will re-occur and when warranty runs out you will pay for this out of pocket.

If you would like to converse more I am considering a Law Suit against Ford I have a 2006 F-250 6.0L with 55,000 miles and it is at the dealer right now and they tell me it needs a coolant tank.

Please pass this on, respond, get the word out, if I get enough response I will launch a web.

Please Copy Share and Post freely.
    justasillygirl,

I am in California flew in friday from Wyoming in to pick my truck and it is still not ready

I will send you an email address at the end of the week when I get back to Wyoming don't buy yet.

Anthony
  • I am running a hot wire straight from the battery to my fuel pump to get power. I have a toggle switch to turn it on & off. I'm tired of this problem. Has anyone experienced power loss to your fuel pump? If so, what can I do to correct this problem? :confuse: