Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• hbrumleyhbrumley Posts: 3
    My husbands truck was having the same problem. It was getting pretty bad. It was the cam shaft sensor and after it was replaced, the truck was back to normal. Don't let anyone send you down the "injectors" path until you check this sensor out. It saved us a TON of money.

Heather
  • I had the same thing go wrong with my 99 7.3 liter F-350,
    it was the rod that runs the fuel pump was bent, the dealer
    charged me about 180 dollars to replace it. You would think
    that a Diesel engine would run it's fuel pump by direct
    gearing off of the crank shaft, but instead it uses a push
    rod running off a cam shaped piece of metal connected to the
    end of the cam shaft like a 1955 Chevy 283 V8 gas engine,
    go figure.
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Posts: 161
    Hey dude, sorry fo rthe problem. there was another guy that wrote on this WPAL < something < and to add to his comment I have heard about this also but it has only been when a motor upgrade like he asked you. Just the Mufflers I don't think would do that unless you was hammering it while pulling the 5wheel to know end, but the truck should have shut down or the Check Engine Light should have came on.
    Now I don't know about anyone else but there is only one true safe upgrade for power is the superchips programmer, I pull 14K pounds with a Gooseneck trailer for the last 4 years now and will stand behind them 100%. There has only been a few times that the dumbie light has come on and I was pulling a long time up hill. I also race with my truck here in Colorado so it's not like I drive them easy, lol. I did just pick up a used 01 and it had a bad tranny in it but lucky for me we rebuild them because we all know that Ford can not build one to last, lol. If anyone needs a tranny that compares to the so called Stage 3 or 4's that sells for 3300.00 with a HP Converter that sells for 1500.00 alone, as long as your tranny is rebuildable we sell them for 3000.00 plus shipping. Shipping is going to be around 150.00 for you to send us yours with the Converter and we ship the Built one back to you. Yes we have cores and can charge you a core if we don't recieve your first but we would rather recieve yours first.

Hope everyone has a great weekend coming up !

Tony Prater
  • jibbojibbo Posts: 1
    The problem might be your high pressure oil pump. The exact thing just happened to my 03 F250 (6.0) It's at the dealer right now being replaced for $2400. The warranty just expired 3 months ago. Good luck. Sorry to hear that someone else owns a Ford Diesel.
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    The 6.0L diesel has a 5 yr, 100,000 mile warranty. Did you buy it in 02?

Mark.
  • hols59hols59 Posts: 1
    i am currently looking at a 2004 powerstroke diesel. it is an extended cab fx4 with 17k. the asking price is 30k. is it a good deal?
  • wpalkowskiwpalkowski Posts: 493
    What trim level. XLT, Lariat, King Ranch,...?
  • I have a 95 powerstroke that began not starting. Changed cam pos. sensor, no difference. Took it to ford, they changed high pressure oil pump, injector pump, several injectors, another cam pos. sensor, several other things. It will start and run for 2 hours, and than die. You dump cold water on the injector pump and it will start up and run for a short time. More cold water on the pump and it will run again for a short time. Now a different ford dealer is back on the oil pressure thing. I am getting frustrated because the first ford dealer just threw parts into it hoping to stumble onto the problem. I think it is electrical, maybe something heating up and shutting down? Any help would be appreciated
    Have they tried replacing the Fuel Injector Sensor ?
  • ophieophie Posts: 2
    we have a 2001 f350 7.3 lt powerstroke we replaced kam sensor and other things ended up taking it to a shop to find out that there was a wiring problem inside the wiring harness under fuse panel under the hood. we did everything youve done before it was taking to shop
  • dodgerfmdodgerfm Posts: 1
    02 f350 I got power to the fuse and none at the fuel pump I thought I had a good manual but it doesnt show this relay am I going nuts?
  • I OWN A 2005 FORD F-250 6.0 DIESEL, AND TODAY DRIVING ON I-95 I SMELLED A RUBBER BURNING (LIKE A BELT) AFTER 5 MILES THE TEMPERATURE GAUGE STARTED TO GO UP, I PULLED OVER AND FROM THE PLASTIC PLACE WERE YOU ADD ANTIFREEZE IT DRIPPED A LOT OF I WOULD SAY A MIXTURE OF ANTIFREEZE AND OIL. I CHECKED THE IL DIPSTICK AND THE OIL WAS NOT CREAMY NEITHER WAS THE OIL CAP, THEY SAID IT MIGHT BE A COOLING OIL LINE IN THE RADIATOR.....DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY EXACT ANSWER OF WHAT IT MIGHT BE...? PLEASE HELP
  • my 2000 f-250 powerstroke 7.3 liter has been acting up lately. Ill be driving and it will die and i wont be able to restart it for five or ten minutes. Ive replaced the fuel pump and my code reader isnt picking up any codes. If you now anything let me know.
    Taking it you replaced the Fuel Filter. How about the Cam Sensor. Usually if they go out they won't run again for a long time, maybe a 1 or 2 minutes but you never know.

Tony
  • could it be a bad pressure sensor in the turbo that turns the motor off. When I reved the motor high it would die but it would also die when it was idling sometimes.
  • ophieophie Posts: 2
    your realy for fuel switch is underneath your passengerkick panel that is the fuel relay switch
  • dead6ldead6l Posts: 2
    are you sure it is oil? Could it be fuel?
  • kingcwillkingcwill Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I have a 2002 F250 Ford Diesel. Has anyone experienced this?
    The motor is running, I shift into Drive and step on the gas. The truck won't move. Come to find out, a fuse is blown. Change the fuse, might be fine for a while, then it happens again.
    I took the truck to a Ford dealership and they charged me $90 bucks and said they couldn't find the problem.
    I would appreciate any help out there. Thanks
  • qtrhrsen13qtrhrsen13 Posts: 2
    Not to be butting into this conversation but even though the engine is warrantied for 5yr/100,000 there are several small parts and sensors that are not included. I know cam sensor went out on my 01 F250 with 60,000+ and it was an out of pocket expense for me. Check out what the warranty covers it will be worth it. ;)
  • qtrhrsen13qtrhrsen13 Posts: 2
    Check the cam sensor. My 01 F250 did the same thing until one day it quit and would not restart. Cost me about 300-350 out of pocket. ;)
  • snowtoadsnowtoad Posts: 5
    here all this time i thought desails was reliable and with out any problems. after 52 post just on this mess. board. i couldnt just see why any body would buy a deseil? now think about it looking at the reports on sd desiels problems [edmonds board is scratching the surface] why would u go buy a sd desiel that it dosent have steller record of staying together? talking about throwing ur money out the window or sitting at poker table? if this desiel was this great there shouldnt be even half the problems im reading here. then u pay what 6000$ option for new deseil? i just dont see the cost saving when they go bad. then to top all this it seems what i read that half the dealers dont queite no how to fixem! im reading to much into this?
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 1,542
    Let me see. You are basing a full opinion on diesels (please check your spelling, it took me a while to figure out what you were saying) on a few posts of problems that people are running into??

That makes no sense at all.
    I kind find you dozens of message boards where folks have tons of problems with any make or model of vehicle.
    Diesels are far more reliable than most gas engines, they hold up longer and are able to haul much heavier loads.

The only accurate statement that you made is that half the dealers don't know how to fix them.

As for them staying together, I have several trucks that their engines are going on 400,000 miles with few problems. Well, mostly glow plug problems.
  • stubbstubb Posts: 1
    I have a 02 F-350 7.3L. Engine keeps dying from time to time. Sometimes it will die while sitting at red light. The other day I was going 60 mph down the highway and the RPM went to 0 and I pressed the pedal and they stayed at 0. Then all of a sudden they jumped back up. At first I thought that it had died again but it had not. When I am driving and it dies it sputters and jerks as if it is not getting enough fuel or something. There is no check engine light coming on or anything. This does not occur on a regular basis, sometimes a week will go by with nothing happening. I have changed the fuel filter and added injector cleaner. That seemed to have helped a little but now it is doing it again. Any ideas?
  • 1208212082 Posts: 2
    Same thing happened to me. Dealer had to replace the cam sensor.
  • sunbearsunbear Posts: 3
    i THOUGHT ALL DIESELS HAD AN ENGINE HEATER THAT YOU PLUG IN TO AN EXTENSION CORD. LAST WINTER LOOKED FOR THE PLUG UP FRONT IN THE GRILL, WHERE MANUAL SAYS. THERE WAS NO PLUG. MY QUESTIONS - IS THERE A HEATER AND WHERE DOES IT PLUG IN TO THE ENGINE? I NOTICED WHILE BROWSING ON E BAY THAT THEY HAVE CORDS FOR SALE THAT PLUG INTO THE ENGINE ON ONE END AND A EXTENSION CORD ON THE OTHER. WAS THIS CORD SOMETHING FORD LEFT OUT SO THEY COULD MAKE MORE MONEY?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    On the Ford Diesel, ALL trucks have the engine block heater. The Cord though has to be ordered by the Dealer. EVEN if it was ordered with the cord, the end is tucked so far up into the grill/headlight area that you might miss.

Check your window sticker if you bought the truck new.

Mark.
  • sunbearsunbear Posts: 3
    THANK YOU. I THOUGHT THEY ALL ENGINE BLOCK HEATERS BUT WHEN I COULD NOT LOCATE THE CORD I WAS NOT SURE. I WILL SEARCH FOR IT AGAIN. IF NOT I'LL GET A CORD. IT SURE DOESN'T LIKE THE REAL COLD WEATHER WHEN IT STARTS UP.
  • booya16ebooya16e Posts: 1
    this sounds almost like the same problem im having with my 1992 f-250 7.3L diesel. the "wait to start" light quit coming on when i turn the key and it doesnt want to start. any ideas?
  • wandellwandell Posts: 1
    hi
    i have a 04 also and the ford dealer keeps telling me there is nothing wrong with my truck until i put a load on it then it gets hot and shuts its self down what did you get done with yours.
  • dead6ldead6l Posts: 2
    I had a 04 that was blowing coolant out of the reservoir, It was a head problem. But there was a recall on some trucks for the bottle, hope that is the problem.