Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• gerlad1gerlad1 Posts: 22
    I have a 2004 F250 6.0 liter engine 4x4 crew cab and have always gotten what I think is poor fuel economy. about 15mpg at 70mph on highway with no load (and a tail wind).. Never had a problem with power. About 2 years ago I bought a superchips programmer hoping to boost fuel ecoomy--no help -in fact--appears to get less fuel economy no matter what power setting. Have updated the programmer on-line and tried the "new" economy setting and it defitintely gets lower fuel economy than "stock". I now find I have a $300+ code reader. Anyone with positive experience with these things? Under warranty I have had my head gaskets, turbo, egr valve, egr cooler replaced--helped the engine run but nothing seems to help fuel economy. Also installed a K & N air filter--no help with this also on fuel economy. Typically use my truck on the highway at 70-75 mph. No hot rodding. Obviously fuel economy improves to 17 if I want to drive 60mph on the highway. Truck starts and runs fine after warranty repairs,, just fuel economy sucks. BTW, also tried a cat converter by=pass pipe.. This was the only thing that seemed to help.
    Any other thoughts on programmers or fuel economy with these 6.0 mistakes?
    Gerald
  • lloyd57lloyd57 Posts: 1
    07 f350superduty 6.2 crew cab long box screen comes up and beeps and says water in fuel where is the drain at on it also the belt that drives pulleys squeals i had 3 belts put on it and a new tenchen pulley on it.">link title
  • renoguyrenoguy Posts: 2
    My problem started about 5 mos. ago two days after getting truck back from having the tranny rebuilt. Now it won't start 15-20 min. after I have driven it, stopped and try and restart it. I have to wait at least 1 hour before it will start. I have just replaced the senors on the tranny (but this does not seem to be problem). I have had it to dealer twice now and they have scoped it and nothing shows up. Both batteries are brand new, new turbo charger, tank is always full, and oil changed every 2500 miles. Fuel filters changed every 5000miles. Frustration level is making me crazy....if anyone out there has any solutions or advise, please, please e-mail me at reno_guy@telus.net.
    or post to this site.
    Thanks
  • renoguyrenoguy Posts: 2
    With all the reading on the net I do would the icp sensor have any thing to do with my problem .renoguy
  • I have a '96 Powerstroke that starts nicely when it's cold, but drive it for 30 minutes, turn it off, and it won't start again until it cools down.
    It behaves as if there's not a drop of fuel in the tank.
    my mechanic replaced the high pressure oil pump, said it lost pressure when hot, but that didn't solve the problem.
    Any ideas?
  • johnboy57johnboy57 Posts: 6
    I had the same thing happen on my '05 6.0 and what it finally boiled down to was the O-ring/seal on the main oil pick up tube {this is the one on the back of the motor that picks up the oil from the crankcase and sends it to the injectors to build the pressure to at least 425 lbs. [or there abouts] THEN allows the injectors to open and spray fuel} was bad causing a lesser amount of oil pick-up. When that was replaced -- we had well over the minimum oil pressure and the truck would once again start.
    As a test, you might try thicker oil or adding some Lucas etc. to your oil to increase it's viscosity.
    Hope this helps.
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Posts: 161
    Does it happen as much as when u first change the Oil and what kind of Oil are you running ?
  • My 1999 ford F350 7.3 diesel is turning over but not starting, In march under a recall I had the cam shaft positioning sensor replaced, now its obviously not under warranty, but I also Dont know what wrong with it, Also the Alternator has been replaced on this truck 3 times and the thing works for a bit but I just replaced it 3 weeks ago and occasionally the battery light is coming on, the battery is throwing the right voltage... has anyone had these simiar problems??
    Hey Mandi,
    Yes I did with my Alternator, follow your leads coming off it as somewhere on one of them its grounding out on the motor. The cable will rub through down to the wire and short out the Alternator. As far as starting it could be a number of things. It could be bad Oil, old Oil or not the right type of oil. It could be the O-rings, I just got a set for my 7.3 and need to replace them this weekend. Does it do it as much when you first change your oil ? IF it does not give you a hard time after you just changed your oil then more than likely its your O-Rings on the Injectors. hopefully you are using Shell Oil in your truck, if not change it out to Shell also under 150,000 miles you can go 5000 miles and if over 150,000 you should be changing it every 3000 miles.

Hopefully that helps,

Tony
  • I believe you can google lemon law or ford warranties and there are alot of write ups on
    6.0 blown egr coolers and head gaskets problems. you can find out what channels they went to get their problem solved, worse comes to worse you can check us out here at outlawdiesel.net .
    p.s
    go to other dealer because exhaust and intakes should not have warranty issues
    only tuner have warranty issues. :)
  • outlawdieseloutlawdiesel Posts: 12
    edited June 2010
    change your cam sensor the blue one is the best but very $$$ the black will do /napa
  • need to replace EGR Cooler and oil cooler.save some money and do a EGR delete.
  • If its a 7.3 power stroke it's right next to the oil filter and the oil filter is on the oil cooler housing,look for orange cord,trace it to the grill.if its not there.if it's not there should be pluged,but there she be.
  • Hows your glow plugs and Soldnoid? are you getting white smoked? or it could also be your IPR Valve O-ring is gone and not building up high pressure oil to fire your injectors.
    a scanner would help
  • for the responses, regarding my 7.3 diesel not starting, I tested the batteries, one is completly dead the other ones running on 12volts, So I am replacing them and hopefully that fixes the problem, But tracing the wires will be the next step!!
  • Check the glow plug relay, the wait to start indicator comes from the relay, it may not be getting any power to the relay, since the engine is not starting, it sounds like the glow plugs aren't getting any power. There should be a 30 amp fuse for the glow plugs. Check the fuse, if it is good check the relay and see if it is getting the power. To check the relay, there should be 5-15 ohms of resistance across the relay coil Remove the power wire from the relay prior to checking for resistance, otherwise you may read resistance across the wiring system or get 12 volts to the ohm meter, either way you will get erroneous readings or ruin the meter. You can check the wait to start light but if the engine isn't starting that tells me the glow plugs aren't getting power.
  • bgdg66bgdg66 Posts: 2
    My truck stalled while pulling up to a redlight. Engine would turn over, but not start. I changed fuel filters. No change. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.
  • I have a 7.3 2002 diesel F350 which stalled while driving and would turn over but not start right away. After waiting several hours on level it started, but stalled again and won't start again etc... Has anyone figured out the problem? The glow plug theory sounds accurate, but before doing unnecessary work, I'd like to know if someone has figured it out...

Thank you!!
    It could be a couple things but start with the Cam Sensor, you should have gotten a Factory Recall on it. Then Make sure your Oil is full, not old n the right oil (Shell Rotela ) it should be change every 3000 miles if over a 100,000 on the truck. Does the Fuel n Air Filter get changed every 3000 to 5000 as well ? Fuel Pump putting out 50psi ?
  • tslovetslove Posts: 1
    I have had numerous problems with my early 2003 6.0 powerstroke engine, the latest being that the turbo had to replaced at just over 100,000 miles. That was only a few weeks ago, and now the engine is running like crap again...will not hardly accelerate either from a dead stop or while underway. Has Ford stepped up to the plate to take care of any of the problems I am having and keep hearing about relative to this particular engine. I have owned six Ford trucks to date and have been happy with all of them until this vehicle...not sure if I will purchase another Ford truck again, and certainly not a Ford diesel engine.