Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Powerstroke Diesel Problems

Comments

• This was told to me by a ford diesel mechanic probably a year or so ago. One of the things ford found out that was causing engine failure was carbon build up in the engines caused by long periods of idling such as electric utility trucks were the workers would be working on the side of the road all day and the engines would be left idling. So now the computer system in these trucks will shut the engines down after about 30 to 45 minutes of idling and will not let the truck re start for either one or two hours after shutting down. I don't remember whether it was one or two he said. He told me if I found myself in a long traffic jam after about 15 0r 20 minutes to try to shut down the engine to reset the timer so it wouldn't die in the middle of traffic and not re start. This would explain at the campground were the engine shut down and would not re start until the tow truck arrived and all at once every thing was fine. How ever this does not explain driving down the road and the engine just cutting off. Try checking your coolant levels . It has been very hot lately and maybe the high temps are triggering the sensors to shut down the truck. But this is just me taking a wild guess. Good luck with problem.
  • rodesignerrodesigner Posts: 20
    After I had the cam sensor replaced on recall, I still had the problem with the truck (2000 F250 7.3L)it started shutting down more frequently on the road as well as idling, the Dealership couldn't figure it out. They finally did figure it out though after having it a couple weeks (close to my home). It was the computer module. Was spendy to replace, but no more stalling. By the way, I sent Ford an email about a problem I was having with my truck. Don't waste your time!!! They first send you a "canned" response that in no way applies to your problem. Then when I querried them again they sent a response indicating that absolutely didn't read my post. Their basic canned response is to send you to a dealership. They absolutely do not suggest any solutions from the experts back at the factory.
  • is this a IDI diesel? fuel pump is on the way out,check the psi on the injector pump
  • gwc5gwc5 Posts: 1
    I have a similiar situation --have you gotten your truck fixed and if so what fixed it--thanks gwc5
  • ljollyljolly Posts: 3
    Randomly nothing but accessories come on when you turn the key on. Batteries are. Now new. All cables and relays have been checked. The dealer replaced the starter be he couldn't find anything else! Sometimes taking off the battery cables and then butting them back on will make it start. It acts like it doesn't know it is in park! We know there is a switch or sensor to tell the engine but where is it? Could it be dirty? Now when. The engine is running, in park the seat belt alarm is going off when no one is there! Related! Please help. This is a problem when traveling and towing
  • In the afternoon, while I'm driving down the road the engine shuts off. The engine starts up when I turn the key so I know it's not a fuel problem. Any suggestions?
  • This is either a computer problem or the nuetral safety switch on the transmission is bad.
  • It sounds like you have a cracked fuel pick up tube in the fuel tank?put a scanner on her as you drive and turn. freeze frame the problem and check for codes and fuel pressure.
  • I dont't know what year your truck is,but if its a 7.3 ? I would say a bad CAM Sensor.
    but year and make would help?
  • baddog1baddog1 Posts: 1
    when i start my truck in the morning after sitting all night . it starts fine but if i start accelarateing to hard its is real rough like it has a miss but once it warms up it gose away i have 70,000 on the truck . what do ya,ll think is the cause no light comes on directing me to say something is not right.
  • My 1999 F-250 diesel has been cutting off on me while running mostly when accelerating. Today it cut off on me and now it wont start. when i wait for the wait to start light to go off and crank it it just sounds like it wont turn over. Before it would cut off and then once i turned it off and re-started it it was fine. Im thinking maybe a cam sensor??? Help I have no idea
  • I have the same issue with my 2000 F250 7.3L diesel and this is all happening even though I have the dealer recall cam position sensor replaced as well as a new computer. if you do find the answer please let me know. My truck has been in the shop this time for 1 1/2 weeks so far.
  • '99 F250 feels like its being held back in 1st & 2nd, and doesn't really move outta its own way on the highway. Used to have the problem with starting it up and 30 seconds later cutting off.... cam sensor fixed that. new fuel pump. I dont know what to think, its my pop's truck im tryin to help him, I run 350 chevys...... maybe turbo problem? any insight would be greatly appriciated.
  • How long ago was the fuel filter (miles) changed?
  • I am original owner of a F250, 6.0, 126K miles and well maintained. I have had a rash of problems in the last weeks including 2 injectors, water and oil pump, high pressure pump, crank shaft sensor, high pressure valve. I just got it back and as I was pulling a trailer it died again. I took it back to the shop and it's scanned code was a crank shaft sensor. It was replaced and when I went to pick it up I didn't make it down the road a 1/2 mile and it died again. The scan code now reads #3 and #5 injector yet the pressure reading is good on each. When the other injectors went out I could still drive the truck. I'm wondering if this may be a computer issue giving false signals. This has become a money for me and unreliable. If anyone has any ideas I'm open as it is yet another day I'm without my truck. Thanks
  • We changed the filter almost right when the problems started,
    Then not even a week after that we changed out the pump which was still working
    Next it was the cam sensor because we never took it in for the recall.....
    Its a true mule and I don't wanna trade in for a cummins....
  • Here is the latest, (still don't have a solution yet), but after the engine wanting to stall several times while driving and shutting down when I was stopped and the engine was idling, I took it in to the dealership. Now in the past like I said before the cam pos indicator recall was done as well as changing out the computer. The dealer still has it (about 2 weeks) which I don't have a real problem with it, I just want it fixed so I work around the inconvenience anyway the service manager called and said that they managed to get it to stall with the test equip hooked up and supposedly it indicates a bad plug under some sort of cover, valve or something, and I assume he called me because it wasn't a simple procedure to remove the cover ($). I haven't heard from him since.
  • ceh54ceh54 Posts: 2
    103000 miles/3000 miles out of warranty! I have started having problems with episodes of truck not starting after getting warm,let it set for a while and it will start (just about the time the tow truck arrives). I have had it in the Dealers shop 2 times now. The first time they replaced a ??? SGR valve,happened again they kept it for 2 days-----checked every thing out,all was ok. I picked up the truck today and wonder when it is going to happen again> Does any one have any ideas or know of a good non dealership diesel mechanic in the Northwest Houston area?. Thanks
  • ceh54ceh54 Posts: 2
    Thanks for the info.
    I will keep your post and may give you a call.
  • My o4 diesel started shaking really bad. It sounds like an old diesel(you know the chugga chugga sound). You can really feel it when you are going about 50 and let off the gas. When it down shifts it feels like its going to rattle apart. Also when it is idling. I've heard about the egr valve going bad so I took it off and cleaned it up and put it back on. This helped with power but didnt solve the shaking and running ruff. Any suggestions?