Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• nov.15/06

Thanks for the information timbertim please let me know how you make out.My truck is presently in the body shop;so I have to wait before repairing the tranmission.
    thanks again
    daisylady2
  • Just got my 93 out of the shop. It was the Solenoid in the transmission and the wiring harness that conects to it. Replaced both after 2 weeks of checking things out. Tim
  • dec.03/06

Thank you very much for the information Tim,this will be helpful for me now and in the future.

bye
    daisylady2
  • mbanzmbanz Posts: 2
    Had the same thing with my 2004 FX-4. Finally nailed it. The geniuses (geni?) at Ford made the IWE solenoid notso much weatherproof, and it controls the 4wd system. There is a TSB out for it finally. TSB 06-08-145. Now I'm trying to get them to do something about my tires......
  • help!
    I have a 2001 f-150 xlt 5.4 auto standcab l/b 4x4.Im the 2nd owner and got it with 39,000 mi.It has clunked when shifting from 3 to 2 and does it mostly when there is some let up on the accel like turning and then accel causing the tran to dwn shft.clunk.Its not noticeable from a stop but have had it happen with atv trlr on the back in stop n go traf. I have ext. warrt and so far dealer has tried lubric. of drivshaft yoke and this week pulled tranny, replaced clutchpack, torqconvtr,any items possible suspt. It seems worse and am going back 12-28 to diagnos further. It does this in 4wdr as well.Any ideas? On my 2nd dealership.
  • I have a 1996 F250 4x4 with an E4OD transmission. Recently, the speedometer stopped working and the OD light started to blink. According to posts that a found at several Ford forums, this usually occurs when the ABS speed sensor fails. Even though the ABS light didn't come on, I replaced the ABS speed sensor (located on the differential). This hasn't fixed the problem. Does anyone have any idea what may be causing this problem? The transmission was recently rebuilt (less than 11k miles) and the torque converter was replaced at that time. I have checked all the fuses (all ok), and scanning with an OBD II scanner has not turned up any codes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • I'VE RECENTLY HAVE HAD A GREAT DEAL OF RATTLING IN MY TRANSMISSION.I WAS DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD AND I HEARD A SLIGHT POP AND MY TRANSMISSION WAS NO LONGER IN GEAR AND NOW WILL NOT GO IN ANY GEAR BUT 4TH.DOES ANY ONE HAVE A CLUE? THANKS, WILLIAM
  • Looking at buying a 1989 F250 4x4 - 302 AOD. Tranny seems to work fine, but has a slight whine that starts in 3rd gear, but almost entirely disappears in 4th. Were these transmissions known for any kind of whine, and is there anything else I should look for???
  • I'm having the exact same problem with my 2006 F-150 and can't get it to happen for the dealer when I take it in for service. I have tried driving it differently to see if I can make it repeat without success. However, I am noticing that the frequency of occurrence is increasing. The problem is strange especially since the truck has less than 17,000 miles. If I get any results with my dealer I'll post back.
  • where is this solenoid located? My 04 will not go in to 4x4 since the weather has gotten into the teens. thx!!
  • I am in the middle of replacing the ATF filter/fluid on my 2004 FX4. This is the first fluid filter change for the tryck. I've done this many times with my old vehicle. But, this time I ran into something new. When I pulled the pan off there was a circular/spherical yellowish piece of plastic with a small O-ring around it laying in the bottom of the pan. Does anyone have any clue what this thing is? I've looked and looked but can't for the life of me find where it would have come from. Is it part of the original Ford filter? Can someone help me out here?
  • My 2003 F-250 6.o Diesel 5 speed automatic pulls a 30 ft, 8000 lb trailer beautifully except in Arkansas. No kidding! When we get to a stretch of road that has regular intervals of bumps the truck seems to develop a certain harmonic rocking motion which is followed by a sudden and severe surging of the transmission. It is enough to cause a sore neck and great stress. The transmission checks out as ok at the dealership. Any ideas?
  • parkyparky Posts: 20
    05 F150 FX4, Anyone experience this when cold(32 degrees or colder)have not had vehicle in warmer conditions yet), the tranny takes 1.2 miles to shift into over drive? Scenario, pull out of commuter lot onto highway with 15% grade, keep RPM's around 2200, and it takes over a mile or 1.2-1.4 miles to shift into O.D. I have also tried on a level highway surface with same results. I normally cruise at around 65mph(1800 RPM's)to 70 mph. I have hit 75mph, and it shifted. However, when I backed it down to 65 the idle shot back up to 2200 RPM's? What gives?
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    Most automatic transmissions with computer controls will do this. It's to protect the unit when the fluid is not yet fully warm.

kcram - Pickups Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• parkyparky Posts: 20
    Thanks for the feedback.
  • :confuse: i have a 89 f250 with the e4od tranny. the old one blew got another from junk yard and was told that the new one is too new due to where the speed sensor is placed, but i already have it in and it wont shift. is there a way to bypass or move the speed sensor so that the tranny will shift?
  • trans. not going into reverse or drive if it goes into the limp mode it will go into reverse but not drive I have 1st and 2nd gear all the time I have replaced the pcm fix for three days then started again any ides
  • i have a 1994 ford 150 and never had a tranny problem with it i dont ride my truck real hard i change fluid when i am supposed to, the only problem was my engine started knocking one day and instead of haveing the engine rebuilt i had a jasper engine put in and now when you reb up the engine to 1200 rpms the engine shakes bad . it has been back to the ford dealership about 30 and they couldnt fix it so i drove to jasper indiana that is were the engine came from and they couldnt fix it, came home went back again and they put anthor engine in it and it got worse, so i called the presdient of jasper engines and he said to bring it in ,they had it 2 weeks got a call from the presdent of jasper he said the truck was ready drove all the way down there and the truck was in worse shape than it was, i was more or less told to live with it they even put a new tourqe converter and a flywheel and a harmanic balancer in it and it didnt fix it i spent around 3000.00 on top of it trying to fix it even had new injector put in. rule of thumb if engine needs rebuilt always use the same orginal engine that came with the vehicle. i think the only problem was that they could not balance the engine right, you have the engine,tourqe,flywheel and they do not balance with each other , i will never go with jasper engine ,
  • Boy am I disappointed and I have always been a Ford guy. I only have 125000 miles on my truck and I tow very little with it and it kicked the bucket: if my wife didn't need a new car I would consider going to a Dodge 4x4 diesel with a manual transmission. :mad: