Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

Comments

• its a virgan plug meaning the trany fluid has never been changed
  • While I am driving my transmission slips into nuetral and the speedometer quits working and mileage also quits working any ideas what might cause this problem would really be helpful.
  • thanks for the info I will give it a try and see if that solves the problem
  • i have a 98 with the same motor, i have had bad coil packs on all of my spark plugs go. not all at the same time either. the truck sometimes spits out a code but most of the time it doesnt.
  • I have an 85 F250 that had been sitting for about a year and a half. When i went to finally start it up i found a freeze plug had blown, so i replaced it. It started up just fine, held water, and after a few chokes and sputters it purred like an......old ford. :) Just one problem. It wont go into gear. It just seems to float right over the gears. When i parked it, it went into gear fine. The tail lights are work and it has tranny fluid. I really dont have the money to take it in. Anyone got any suggestions?
  • First time writing here. I have a '03 F-250 4x4 Turbo Diesel with 120k miles. Been a good truck but lately having a problem...More times than not when I put it into reverse it doesn't engauge so if I put it into drive and then back to reverse it goes into reverse fine.

Any suggestions? Thank you
  • F150 2009 when pulling my 7500 lb trailer the transmission shifts for no reason. Flat road, no wind. It is like the engine does not have enough power to maintain speed in 5 th gear. As soon as it shifts the truck starts to loose speed. Went for a test drive with dealer and they agree but aren't sure what to do. Engineers say normal but was not like this when truck was new. Just started late last fall and got worse every time I used the trailer this year.
  • no ideas 4ya, but my '95 just started doing the exact same thing withn the last few days. shiftin hard as fk between 2nd and 3rd gear. and it makes a horrible noise in reverse sometimes.
  • you do not mention if this gas or disel,, or if there is a check engine lite on,, but souds like a dirty fuel filter if theres no light,, if thers is a lite r & i the egr,, and clean and drive again
  • I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Ford F150 SLT 4x4, crew cab with 85k on it. I will be hauling a 4000 Lb single horse trailer conversion about 60 miles with it 2-3 times a week, will this truck handle the load? I am trying to do my research first since this is a business pourchase, are there any major mechanical issues I should look for or that are common for this model? My old Truck was a Dodge(never again) and I have put 4 new trannys into it, just trying to avoid another situation like this. Any info would be helpful, thanks.
  • It is gas, not diesel.
  • BUY A CHEVY!!!!! Older Fords are good, but the newer ones are awful. We (my husband) own(s) a 93 Ford F-150 and it has given us loads of problems. It is not because we haven't taken care of it, but because of the many problems Ford failed to spot before they let it off the assembly line. Don't get me wrong they are tough trucks, and will pull pretty much any thing you put behind them, but only for a while. Then you'll be sitting more than you're driving. If you have loads of money and time, by all means purchase the Ford. However, if you want to get where you're going without all the drama, Chevy will be your friend. Yes, we have owned Chevrolets as well. We sold them for financial reasons and now can't afford to buy another one because we spend so much money on our FORD. Good luck and God bless!
  • I have a 2005 f150 7400 miles on it trans just went with out any worning its is a STX BUT 2 WEEL DRIVE going to be about four thousand to fix
  • ford trans are junk I have a 2005 f150 STX with 7400 miles on it. Trans just went out will cost about 4000 to replace and i never towed any thing with this truck. Iam not a happy camper.
  • 2004 trans bought new 20000m needed new trans 50000 needs new trans heard that in 2004 they changed the main gear this seems to the root of their problem
  • Hi I don"t know if this helps anyone I hope it does. I have a 2005 Ford F150 SuperCab 2WD. I really love this truck! It has 100k+ has been babied though!
    Anyway, after making a trip up North My O/D light came on when I started after jumping the starter. (Note I did have to jump the starter to get it to start and I still can't get it to start with just the key!). I now have to use a push button start that I installed myself. I have looked at all the relays, fuses and wires that could cause a no crank problem, and found nothing of concern. I am wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if they figured out what it was.

Symptoms:
    NO Engine CODE
    O/D light only when engaged in park
    Starter has to be jumped via push button to start
    No shifting problems at all (shifts perfect and smooth)

:confuse:
  • greasemonkey45greasemonkey45 Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    I have a 1995 Ford F-250 7.3L powerstroke, 2wd, automatic transmission. After an hour of driving, when downshifting and upshifting it shifts hard and then it lugs the motor down when coming to a stop, I just had the transmission rebuilt, and a new torque converter put on, i had trouble before the transmission was rebuilt and the same thing happens after i had the transmission rebuilt.
  • Turns out when we bought this '04 F150, it was from a Rep. Dealer in Central NJ ( we thought ) not a Ford Dealer , another Dealer who has been there for over 30yrs! Anyway the truck was a trade in only one owner. The Problem was the CREEP who owned it before us ( from Pa. ) NEVER changed anything on the truck as far as fluids go. So that is why we had so many Engine , and Tranny problems...It is fine now but don't ask me how much we dumped into her...Anyhow Have a Great New Year everyone! Except the car Dealer whos name starts with a P.and the Creep from Pa. who never heard of a fluid change....
  • I bought my 2004 stx 4x4 f150 4 months ago with 72000 miles on it. The rear started making noise the day after I bought it, after that the transmission lost overdrive, (fixed by dropping the valve body and removing a peice of a broken snap ring from the 3/4 shift valve) and now the transmission is completely shot and will not move the vehicle forward at all. It now has 79000 miles on it, I owe 7000 bucks on it still, and it is not even driveable. All of these turn out to be common problems with these trucks. I am a professional technician, and I have access to Identifix and mitchell on demand, which both report pages of issues with this truck. This was a one owner vehicle before I had it and it was well cared for. I will NEVER buy another ford truck. I should have stuck to my chevys. I never had a driveline failure with those. Buyers Beware.
  • tilfordtilford Posts: 3
    edited January 2012
    I have a 97 F-150 4x4 that will not come out of overdrive when you press the button on end of gear shift lever. In testing, the switch shows to be good, but I am not sure on how to check and see if the switch is getting fire through the steering column or not. Can anybody help me with this or suggest any remedies. Fuse under dash on drivers side is good.