Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford F-Series Transmission Problems

1242526272830»

Comments

• have 1991 f250 tranmission was rebuild because was not shifting out of 2 in to d &od was it still doing same thing was told it was elector or something else can anyone help and is there any way to scan a 91
  • I GOT A 1996 F150 FORD PICKUP..THE AUTOMATIC TRANS IT PUSH BUTTON OVERDRIVE AND LATLEY THE LIGHT ON THE BUUTONT TO PUT IT IN OVER DRIVE HAS BEEN FLASHING AND THE TRANS SEEMS LIKE ITS HOLDING BACK,LIKE TIGHTING UP SO WHAT DO U THINK THE PROBLEM IS?AND IF I TURN THR TRUCK OFF PUT IT BACK IN GEAR ITS OK
  • I GOT A 1996 F150 FORD PICKUP..THE AUTOMATIC TRANS IT PUSH BUTTON OVERDRIVE AND LATLEY THE LIGHT ON THE Button TO PUT IT IN OVER DRIVE HAS BEEN FLASHING AND THE TRANS SEEMS LIKE ITS HOLDING BACK,LIKE TIGHTING UP SO WHAT DO U THINK THE PROBLEM IS?AND IF I TURN THR TRUCK OFF PUT IT BACK IN GEAR ITS OK
  • KCRamKCRam Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,516
    While it varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, a flashing overdrive light usually means the overdrive has been disabled due to a detected problem (overheating, etc.). You likely now have a trouble code from this, so get the codes checked and that should give you a starting point..

kcram - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Host

Need help navigating? kcram@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• rich37000rich37000 Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Have a 2004 F150 4.6 v8 w/130k miles. Have gone through 2 ignition coils (cylinders 1&3) the past few months after jerky idling and coding. Everything worked fine for a month, but now I am getting occasional wobble in the RPMs at a stop light accompanied by a "bump" from what feels like the tranny. Accelerates fine and on even highway is fine, but when it goes up a hill it will buck and jerk briefly as it downshifts under load. Has towing package and trans cooler but have only towed about 6 times with it. I'm the only owner and have kept all maintenance fully up to date. Any ideas?

Oddly enough, if I accelerate up the same hill by giving it more gas it does not seem to act up...
  • mikekf150mikekf150 Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Ford F150, 4.6 engine, with an automatic trans. The trans worked good , no problems , the guy I bought it from said he just had the trans rebuilt. It drove fine, then all of a sudden just started to slip completely in all gears , and when I shut it off for awhile, then started it again it run fine for a short distance , then went out in all gears again. Not sure if it is computer, a valve body problem or a torque converter problem. Can anyone here that knows what the problem might be, shed some light on this for me ? Thank you for any help you might be able to give. Mike
  • gcsod45gcsod45 Posts: 4
    I have this vehicle. It has a 302 in it and 85000 original miles. Drove it 2 days ago with no problem and then yesterday it only shifted when it wanted too and only after i was doing 25-30 mph. I made sure it was full on tranny fluid. I know nothing about trannys, any help. I was told to check vacuum lines but not sure which ones. Also i have no ideal if filter has ever been changed. thanks for help.
  • :confuse: My 1998 f 150 147,000 miles on it and runs fine under normal conditions.
    when I'm driving my pick up and I press the throttle fully to pass another car the engine increased approximately to 4500 RPM, the speed of my truck increases but will not release the passing gear or shift until I back out of the throttle. Some solution?
  • kayrokayro Posts: 1
    edited August 2013
    I have the exact problem with my 1990 F150. It's hard to shift at times and then
    it's ok for a couple of days. Mine is stick shift and sometimes when shifting to reverse, makes a noise like when you have the motor going and try to start it by mistake.
    Any ideas Any body?
  • tomottotomotto Posts: 1
    I just bought my truck last week with 183,000 miles on it, 7 days later the tranny is acting up. It takes 3 or 4 seconds to drop into reverse, vibrates like crazy going up hills. Fluid is full, doesn't smell burnt, Could anyone give me a suggestion what to check with the tranny first before I have to take it to a shop to have it pulled? I'd like to take it to someone who knows how to rebuild a Ford tranny the right way. Anyone know anyone that rebuilds them or the name of a good shop in the Daytona Beach, FL. 32114 area. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank You......Tom
  • cowboy9cowboy9 Posts: 161
    Dont be shocked to find they added saw dust to make it run. Your Transmission is shot. Where ever you live check on craigslist for a re builder for a good price.
  • I am having the exact same problem. While on a trip, the voltage regulator in the alternator went out. Now my truck is shifting the same way. if you find out what it is that's causing the problem could you let me know. My e-mail address is bccolling@digis.net. Send me you e-mail address and I will let you know when I find out. Please and thank you.