Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buying a used Accord

Comments

• ezshift5ezshift5 West coastPosts: 855
    ..... Until then, it will be the car I go to Home Depot in, drive in severe weather, and wherever I know parking is bad. The rest of the time, i drive my new car, and keep door dings and hail dents away from my new one.......

....thass almost identical reasoning with regard to retaining my old diesel pickup all these years (thru six new cars)....

..Home Depot, severe wx and ding intensive parking....
    (plus - low and slow - the 1.6 oil burner gets 55 mpg)

hang in there, grad

..best, ez...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Oh, there's no hangin' in there, I really love my 1996. Actually, it's almost a silly emotional attachment in the making with me and this car. It isn't fast, it needs new shocks soon (170k miles on them), and it's fairly tight on my 6'4" frame, but I absolutely love the car as a whole. It's tight still, with only one intermittent passenger seat rattle. I imagine I'll still have it when it clicks over 200k. Maybe 250k?

BTW, I currently have 15,500 miles on my 2006 EX, we just haven't "bonded" yet. :blush:

thegrad
  • rgraferrgrafer Posts: 17
    I'm with you grad.... I love my '91 the same way. I had a Boxster for 4 years and kept Little Green as my Home Depot/ WalMart backup, but she's been my daily driver again for the past 3 years. Little Green rules!

BTW, my mom had a '95 with leather and a tailfin that she was going to GIVE me to replace LG about 3 years ago, but I decided to keep LG instead.

If and when I get my new CRV, I'm afraid I may have to sell her this time because now parking is at a premium in my driveway. My fiance has 3 vehicles (1 for work, 1 regular driver and a 66 Chevy Nova) and it's a total nightmare shuffling around 4 cars right now.
  • My Accord started having oil consumption problems at about 57,000 miles. After 4 months & over 7,000 miles later the dealership service shop finally was authorized by Honda to diagnose problem. They found scratches in the #3 cylinder & oil washings around the #3 piston dome edge. Their recommendation: Replace engine short block at cost of $6,000!!! All service has been done religiously. Used to change oil every 3,000 miles with Honda authorized mechanic, dealership changed to 5,000 miles per Honda guidelines. Honda unwilling to offer Goodwil Warranty assistance they said problem "Normal wear & tear" & now say it is due to "Foreign object caused". Dealership appears to be backing down from Honda after initially telling me they were surprised by Honda not offering assistance and they were "on my side". Old mechanic says this is a $200,000 mile problem & also result of not changing oil often enough. Many comments regarding Honda not wanting to admit their service recommendations are strictly to help sales and are not good for vehicle. Sales are more important than their reputation, reliability or customer care. I've been unbelievably screwed. Total loss of investment. :sick:
  • learnfpgalearnfpga Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying 2001 Accord LX with 80,000 miles on it. I was looking on the web and found that the this particular class of
    vehicles had lot of transmission issues. The current owner of the car told me that the transmission was recently replaced and I checked
    with Honda and they confirmed that.

Now transmission has warranty of upto
    109,000 miles or 7Years and 9months. That means another 1 and half years from today or 30,000 miles whichever comes first.

Otherwise the car looks good but this thing has put a doubt in my mind. Please suggest if I should buy this car or not? Is new transmission a good thing or it may create new problems for me after a few thousand miles when I will have no warranty.

Appreciate all responses
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    Is it really a 'new' transmission, or most likely a 'rebuilt' transmission?
  • learnfpgalearnfpga Posts: 2
    Well its a remanufactured transmission installed by dealer under warranty from Honda.....
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    All service has been done religiously.

Have the spark plugs ever been changed? If so, by whom?
    IIRC, the "remanufactured" transmissions only reused the casing for the tranny. All the guts of the transmissions were replaced (and are new, as a result).
  • I live in Hawaii and have been looking at used Camry's and Accord's, around '88 since my price range is about $1000 or so. I found an '88 LXI that it is in *great* shape, clearly well-maintained: a/c blows cold, no rust whatsoever (which in Hawaii w/salt air is very rare), ext. and int. great, moonroof works fine, viper alarm. Down side is it has 154k mi, the engine light stays on, even though owner says he's checked it out and found nothing wrong, and idle slows down noticeably when a/c on, though it doesn't stall out.

My mechanic says anything over 130k not good idea and timing belt will be costly, if needed. The owner is moving to mainland and reduced price from $1,000 to $800. On the other hand, my mechanic, who I trust implicitly, has an '88
    Camry which is fine, $1,000, but seems to have very little pick-up. Mechanic hasn't seen the Accord. I prefer the Accord. Is it true it's a risk at 154k and what could that engine light that's not turning off mean?
    Hey, anything at that price range is a risk. If you want a safe bet, you're gonna have to buy a new one! :-)

That said, I posted earlier that I still hve my 1991 EX Accord "Little Green." She has 164,000 miles and is going strong. I hear tell that they have a lifespan of 250-300,000, so I think if you buy that one for $800 you'll get your money's worth!

Timing belt could be a concern on any car in that price bracket. I think my engine light is on alot too-- I don't know why, my car is fine. I think it's just a little quirk since no car that age is going to be 100% perfect.
    Timing belt could be a concern on any car in that price bracket. I think my engine light is on alot too-- I don't know why, my car is fine. I think it's just a little quirk since no car that age is going to be 100% perfect.

You ought to consider taking it to AutoZone and having the CEL code checked for free. It'll at least let you know what the light is on for, at no cost to you.
    Thanks graduate! I will give that a try, I have an AutoZone here!
    My last check engine light (1996 Accord LX, Auto, 174k miles) was a bad Oxygen sensor. Not too big of a deal.
  • In the next 6 to 9 months I plan to buy an Accord EX V6 Coupe.

I've read two used-car buying books and even spent a miserable week a long time ago trying to sell new cars at a dealership. And I'm in no rush. So I feel almost prepared to deal with the crap. I'm willing to buy out of state if I can save $1,000 or more. Even so, I don't want to waste my time.

If a dealer is advertising a price below trade-in (average of Edmunds, KBB and NADA) is it worth even looking in to? Or can I assume there's a catch?

Here's an example. "Atlanta Best Deals, LLC" has an '04 w/Nav with 53,564 miles for $13,900. (Autotrader ID AT-D98E17B)

Edmunds pricing is Trade:$14,393, Private: $16,171, Retail $17,753. KBB and NADA have trade numbers about $1k less.

I've googled the Atlanta "Best Deals" dealer and haven't found much. If I was close to buying I'd check the BBB.

Thanks for your help!
  • Hi guys... i saw a 2000 honda accord ex v6 coupe it has 43000 miles (its very low)... i checked out with the carfax, things r fine, its a one owner car, as of now, the cost is $9500, i am yet to negotiate on that, the color is red, had some scraches, but no active dents... guys one thing i noticed is i get the extra sound when i push the acclerator, the owner said he had a air intake, so it gives the extra sound...let me if the extra sound is related to that... and he also has the blue head lights... is this good compared to the original headlights.

just let me know your opinions on this, whether the price is correct and whether i doing a correct thing, as i have seen the problem with transmission, the owner said he had no problem with it.

let me wait for your comments.... thanks.... hari
  • Locally I found a 2006 Honda Accord EX-L with 37,000 miles. Carfax is clean. It was a lease vehicle. Dealership indicates lowest price they can go is 18,700/19,000 out the door with taxes, etc. included.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks
  • If there are no defects or blemishes (dents, etc) and the tires look good, I'd go for it. Kelley Blue Book puts that car (assuming it is an automatic transmission) at $20,470 for retail, and at $18,170 from a private seller. If $19,000 includes everything, its what I'd consider a fair price, if not an absolute steal. 4-cylinder cars are going for a premium these days, ya know. :)

I love my 2006 EX 4-cyl (no leather); averages 35-38 on the highway at 75 MPH!
  • rm_1rm_1 Posts: 2
    I was wondering if this is a good deal. The certified Accord EX-L has 36K miles and the dealer is offering it for $16.5K, not including taxes. It seems like because of the economy, cars are selling far below the book prices and so I don't feel like this is necessarily a steal. A few months ago maybe it was a steal, but I'm not so sure it is today. For those recent buyers, what are the prices some of you are buying '06 4dr EX-Ls? Also, what are some fees, tax policies/ambiguity, etc that I should be aware of before I agree to a deal? Thanks! All of your posts are extremely helpful.
  • I am trying to sell my 2007 Honda Accord EX(Auto(4), cloth, sunroof, sedan, 14,600 miles) to a dealer. I owe $18,631(without tax). I have only received one from a dealer of $15,500. What number do you think is realistic since most identical cars are advertised at $18,000-$19,000.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hi there - I encourage you to also post over in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. There are several people there who can help you with this.

Good luck with your sale!!
    Go to CarMax, see what they'll give you. They typically give more than the average price at a dealer.

Remember, a dealer is pricing you like a trade-in or a wholesaler, because THEY will immediately re-sell the car for that advertised $18000-$19000 you speak of.
  • I just wondered if you decided to go with Atlanta's Best Deals? I'm considering using them, but am a little wary due to the good prices, also...
  • I am looking at a Honda Accord EX, 4 cyl, auto, with around 37,000 miles. They are asking for $ 14K. Is this a good deal?
  • Hey, that would be a GREAT car to have, would last you forever with little maintenance. But I think $14K is a little bit high? Is that from a dealer? KBB lists private party sale value around $12,500.
  • Yes, that is what the dealer wants for it. Do you think the dealer might approach to the private party sale value? I guess it does not hurt to ask.
    Ask away!!! I believe it's tough times for dealers. Type in the specific details (milegae, etc.) on KBB.com with your zip code to see the dealer value and you'll know. Still offer at least $500 less than dealer value and then walk away if they don't take it. I bet you $$ you'll get a call from them wanting to take your offer. Be prepared to haggle! Good luck!!! :-)
  • Hi,
    I live in Canada, and planning to buy an Accord 2003 or 2004. But I read many negative reviews about the 2003 one.
    Is it true that the Accord 2003 has major transmission failure problem?

Also, when dealers mention the word Certified, how reliable is it? Or they still play with the millage? I am very confused.

Should I go for a 2003 or 2004? and dealer or Private?

Views please!
    2003 and early 2004 models with the V6 have a known transmission problem, therefore the warranty on them was greatly extended.

Not sure what you mean by "play with mileage" though, regarding certified used cars.
    Just buy a 4 cylinder! You'll get better gas mileage anyway. :D
This discussion has been closed.