Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Civic Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    You'd be getting less than that in the EX.....(all cars lose efficiency in the cold and winter months)
  • I'm convinced this forum is padded by dealers or perhaps the manufacturer.

I drive conservatively, and live on fairly level ground.

Tire pressure, about 40 PSI.

Temp in the 60's to 70's.

I saw 43.3 MPG on the highway for about a minute once.

My overall average hasn't been over 28.2 yet. My daily average never topped 30, and I'm lucky to see 40 on the freeway.

There's just no way this car will come near 49/51 MPG's.

If you're a 2007 HCH owner in L.A. and can prove that you're getting better mileage, let me know. Otherwise I just don't believe it.
    Sad to hear about your mileage woes.

But your situation is not an indication of the best a 2007 HCH can do.....

Something may very well be wrong with your car. 28.2 is very poor for the technology.

Greenhybrid.com lists some drivers as high as 65 mpg and VERY FEW as low as 28 MPG.

I'd say take thyself to a Honda dealer and get the car checked out.
    Just as another caveat: The MPG will improve as you learn the instruments and the correct methods to use to keep your MPG up.

My 2004 HCH, the first tank was a poor 38.4 and I ended up after 29K miles at 48.2 for the lifetime number. My best tank was a 56.7 MPG tank.

So the technology is there. Using it is something to learn. :shades:
  • I have a 2003. MPG started out at 42, has been declining ever since. One of the trip meters is now showing 36.7, the other 40.1 (as of 2.16/07).

36.7 is the lowest I've ever had on that meter. It's been dropping about one mile/gal every month. Booked it in for 45K service next week to check it out - but then I re-read the owners manual, which said that tire pressure was an important factor. (My excuse for memory loss is that I've had a lot of health problems over the last couple of years!) Anyhow, sure enough, only 25 lbs in three of the tires. Hoping that will reverse the trend.
  • I've been looking into HD radio for my 2003 HCH. Crutchfield.com suggested: P.I.E. HON98-AUX
    Auxiliary Interface, to connect a portable music player to the compatible Honda factory receiver. (1998-2005 - there's another one for the 2006).

From that, I can connect a Directed Car Connect
    Universal Add-On HD Radio Tuner. I'm still not 100% sure where to attach the Interface, the tuner, or the display. Don't want to have to reposition them twenty times. Wish someone could tell me exactly where each would fit the best.
  • There must be significant differences between the 2003 and the 2007. I can't conceive how anyone could get even a 40mpg average out of my 2007.

I've followed the tips, use the instruments, but still average about 28-30 overall (mostly city).
  • So, when the car is idling at a stop does it go into electric only mode?

If it does not, than you can easily lose your MPG economy when sitting a lot in bumper to bumper traffic. When you are sitting with the engine running, you are getting ZERO mpg because you aren't moving but still using gas, even though it's only a small amount. That can easily take your averages down.

Now if it goes into electric only mode then you should be getting good MPG economy because it's not using any gas to just sit there, right?

Just a thought. We are considering a HCH and just knowing from watching my Nissan Murano's fuel economy meter, I get zero MPG when sitting at a light or in traffic. The longer I sit, the worse my fuel economy.
  • erscoloerscolo Posts: 11
    I just replaced my 2004 with a 2007, and I could not be happier with the performance my 2004 gave over 40 months and nearly 89,000 miles. It's lifetime average was 46.9 MPG, and only once did it go below 40.0 MPG. My driving is 80 miles per day back and forth to work through the traffic in Denver, Colorado, so that kind of mileage, right in line with EPA, is good to me. Oh, and by the way, I've never worked for a dealer, this vehicle lives up to what it says it will deliver.
  • 1stpik1stpik Posts: 495
    Just bought my 07 HCH II last week. Already, I get 42-43 mpg.

To those getting worse mileage, you have to drive this car differently than a normal car to get high mpg. You can't punch the gas and hit the brakes all the time.

On acceleration, keep the rpm at 2000 and let the battery assist do its job. Maintain several car lengths from the vehicle ahead of you so you don't have brake and accelerate every time the other guy does. Let off the gas and coast to red lights and stop signs to boost mileage and let the battery recharge.

Watch the mpg meter next to the speedometer. It continuously tells the tale.

The hybrid isn't the magic solution to gasoline consumption. It offers a more efficient platform, but requires a little skill and patience from the driver. If you work with the technology, it will deliver as promised.

You might have to spend one or two more minutes getting where you're going, but that's a choice you'll have to make.

How much do you like jackrabbit starts and speeding through traffic? How much do you hate OPEC, Exxon, and all their cronies in the government?

The answer will determine your driving style and your mpg.
  • pruitt1pruitt1 Posts: 5
    I am getting 42.2 right now. Have about 600 miles on it.
    I am not driving different other than do watch the MPG gauge too much. Its a fun distraction. The only thing that unnerves me is the small flutter when you stop and the battery kicks in. I have had junkers in the past and thats what they did when they died. I guess its something you have to get use to.
    Anyone here have the XM on theirs?
    When I bought my HCH2 a few months ago, I was happy enough with 43 mpg. But now, with 3,000 miles on the odometer and a better driving technique, this is what I get:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956

This is mixed city/hwy driving, with full use of a/c (I live in Texas), full use of cruise control, 65 mph highway speed, and 36 psi in the tires.

So don't over-inflate your tires or drive like your grandmother. Just give your engine and battery time to break-in and get more efficient, and you'll see numbers like this, too!
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    Which car is QUIETER...civic hybrid or prius???
    They're the same. Both cars produce 69 dBA @ 70 mph.
  • gfcranegfcrane Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2007 and have filled the tank once. The car computer said 37.7 while miles/gallons was 36.0. I suspect the tank may not have been quite full from the dealer. Car does not leave town and sees freeway speeds seldom and for short distances only. The temperature has been over 90 every day and some days over 100 since purchase so AC runs all the time. My wife usually drives this vehicle and refuses to drive any differently than any other car. She doesn't have a heavy foot but tends to speed up and slow down a lot, which doesn't help with mpg.

Overall I'm pleased with the quality and comfort of a Honda, and if it only ever gets 36 mpg I'm happy. She was getting 14 mpg with her Forester using premium gasoline. This is much easier on the pocketbook.
  • marcionmarcion Posts: 1
    Got ours in Jan 07. Occasionally see mpg's in the 40's, but mostly mid 30's. "Downhill" to work gets us in the 40's. "Uphill" to home erases the gain. Biggest problem is the dealer not being able to help or answer questions. Example, IMA battery seems to always get low. Dealer says nothing they can do unless a malfunction light comes on. CVT does not seem to shift out of low gear without me lifting my foot off the accelerator; high revs mean more IMA and drain on battery. Dealer says they'll "drive it" but can't do anything if there is no "code" to read. Where do we go for expertise on this technology? If I have a lemon or something wrong, the dealer is the last place to tell me.
  • pruitt1pruitt1 Posts: 5
    I HAVE 2007 HYBRID CIVIC WHITE WITH NAVI 1200 MILES ON MINE.

I USE CRUISE CONTROLL AND WATCH IT GO UP AMAZINGLY. I RUN THE AC ALL THE TIME.

DOES ANYONE AC BLOW WARM? ON HOT DAYS MINE WILL BLOW COLD THEN WARM. DEALER SAID THAT WAS NORMAL. ITS AGRAVATING TO SAY THE LEAST. I LIKE A COLD CAR IN THE SUMMER NOT LUKE WARM.

ONLY GRIPE I HAVE IS THAT AND NO AUTOMATICE HEAD LIGHTS SHUT OFF.
    HAD A DEAD BATTERY FIRST WEEK I HAD MINE.
    You don't have a lemon. You just accelerate a little too quickly and drive a little too fast -- in other words, you drive like a normal American. Even one auto magazine complained that their test drivers could only achieve low 40s with the Civic Hybrid.

But don't worry about lower-than-expected mpg on the hybrid. You'd be getting a lot worse with a gas-only car.

Remember, the 49/51 EPA rating is only achieved by driving at low speeds with low engine loads. I get those numbers ( http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956 ), but I drive slower than most folks.

The NEW EPA rating for the HCH is only 42 combined, so you're not far off that.

Also, the CVT doesn't have a low gear. It continuously varies according to the load placed on the engine. So if you lay heavy on the accel. pedal, it'll rev higher in response until the load lightens.
  • A freelancer aims to talk with owners of the following hybrid models: Accord, Altima, Camry, all Lexus hybrids and all pick-up truck hybrids.

Please respond to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2007 with your daytime contact information and the hybrid model you own.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager

• Owned HCH 06 for year and a half...like the unit, good mileage (42-45 winter; 48-52 summer) BUT severe inside tire wear (unadjustable negative camber); 3 sets of tires in 30K. Dealer kindly replaced tires but now warranty is gone and I'm on my own. Anyone else with weird tire wear?