Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Civic Hybrid Owners - Give Us Your Report

2»

Comments

• pruitt1pruitt1 Posts: 5
    I am getting 42.2 right now. Have about 600 miles on it.
    I am not driving different other than do watch the MPG gauge too much. Its a fun distraction. The only thing that unnerves me is the small flutter when you stop and the battery kicks in. I have had junkers in the past and thats what they did when they died. I guess its something you have to get use to.
    Anyone here have the XM on theirs?
  • 1stpik1stpik Posts: 495
    When I bought my HCH2 a few months ago, I was happy enough with 43 mpg. But now, with 3,000 miles on the odometer and a better driving technique, this is what I get:

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956

This is mixed city/hwy driving, with full use of a/c (I live in Texas), full use of cruise control, 65 mph highway speed, and 36 psi in the tires.

So don't over-inflate your tires or drive like your grandmother. Just give your engine and battery time to break-in and get more efficient, and you'll see numbers like this, too!
  • caazcaaz Posts: 203
    Which car is QUIETER...civic hybrid or prius???
    They're the same. Both cars produce 69 dBA @ 70 mph.
  • gfcranegfcrane Posts: 2
    Just purchased a 2007 and have filled the tank once. The car computer said 37.7 while miles/gallons was 36.0. I suspect the tank may not have been quite full from the dealer. Car does not leave town and sees freeway speeds seldom and for short distances only. The temperature has been over 90 every day and some days over 100 since purchase so AC runs all the time. My wife usually drives this vehicle and refuses to drive any differently than any other car. She doesn't have a heavy foot but tends to speed up and slow down a lot, which doesn't help with mpg.

Overall I'm pleased with the quality and comfort of a Honda, and if it only ever gets 36 mpg I'm happy. She was getting 14 mpg with her Forester using premium gasoline. This is much easier on the pocketbook.
  • marcionmarcion Posts: 1
    Got ours in Jan 07. Occasionally see mpg's in the 40's, but mostly mid 30's. "Downhill" to work gets us in the 40's. "Uphill" to home erases the gain. Biggest problem is the dealer not being able to help or answer questions. Example, IMA battery seems to always get low. Dealer says nothing they can do unless a malfunction light comes on. CVT does not seem to shift out of low gear without me lifting my foot off the accelerator; high revs mean more IMA and drain on battery. Dealer says they'll "drive it" but can't do anything if there is no "code" to read. Where do we go for expertise on this technology? If I have a lemon or something wrong, the dealer is the last place to tell me.
  • pruitt1pruitt1 Posts: 5
    I HAVE 2007 HYBRID CIVIC WHITE WITH NAVI 1200 MILES ON MINE.

I USE CRUISE CONTROLL AND WATCH IT GO UP AMAZINGLY. I RUN THE AC ALL THE TIME.

DOES ANYONE AC BLOW WARM? ON HOT DAYS MINE WILL BLOW COLD THEN WARM. DEALER SAID THAT WAS NORMAL. ITS AGRAVATING TO SAY THE LEAST. I LIKE A COLD CAR IN THE SUMMER NOT LUKE WARM.

ONLY GRIPE I HAVE IS THAT AND NO AUTOMATICE HEAD LIGHTS SHUT OFF.
    HAD A DEAD BATTERY FIRST WEEK I HAD MINE.
    You don't have a lemon. You just accelerate a little too quickly and drive a little too fast -- in other words, you drive like a normal American. Even one auto magazine complained that their test drivers could only achieve low 40s with the Civic Hybrid.

But don't worry about lower-than-expected mpg on the hybrid. You'd be getting a lot worse with a gas-only car.

Remember, the 49/51 EPA rating is only achieved by driving at low speeds with low engine loads. I get those numbers ( http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35956 ), but I drive slower than most folks.

The NEW EPA rating for the HCH is only 42 combined, so you're not far off that.

Also, the CVT doesn't have a low gear. It continuously varies according to the load placed on the engine. So if you lay heavy on the accel. pedal, it'll rev higher in response until the load lightens.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016
    A freelancer aims to talk with owners of the following hybrid models: Accord, Altima, Camry, all Lexus hybrids and all pick-up truck hybrids.

Please respond to Chintan Talati at ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 12, 2007 with your daytime contact information and the hybrid model you own.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• Owned HCH 06 for year and a half...like the unit, good mileage (42-45 winter; 48-52 summer) BUT severe inside tire wear (unadjustable negative camber); 3 sets of tires in 30K. Dealer kindly replaced tires but now warranty is gone and I'm on my own. Anyone else with weird tire wear?
  • Still under 1000 miles since new but I'm more than satisfied with the MPG so far.

38-39 in harsh winter weather and I expect the MPG to get better as it warms up.

I love driving it with regards to squeezing mileage out of it... It's like a video game for old farts. Simple to apply rules and a reward at the end (fill-up time).

I'm lucky to have a best friend who purchased a Prius within days of me buying the Honda Hybrid so the contest is on. I don't think there is much of a contest of fit and finish between the Honda and Toyota.. Both very nice but the Honda is miles ahead on interior quality.. Paint is beautiful. The Prius is certainly nice but if I chose a car to live in it would certainly be the Honda.
  • We purchsed a new HCH 11-15-07. On 12-4-07 we were in an accident that totaled it (not our fault) and it held up pretty good against a GMC Yukon. This car saved our lives. We will get another new one tomorrow and it is our only choice.
  • We just purchased our HCH two weeks ago. We took it on a road trip last weekend 350 miles from Iowa to Minn and back again. By the second leg we were averaging 45.3 mpg. We did experience some weird shaking once or twice on the interstate when going up a hill. Not sure what that was about.
    That was the little hamster in the engine. He was cold.
  • your problem is bad control mounts in the rear the dealer should fix it for free they did on mine
  • Thanks for the reply; can you provide a few details? Are you still under warranty?
    What was the burden of proof (the Honda's TBS shows a detailed procedure)? Did you have to fight to get it fixed?

Honda (and my dealer) seem in no hurry to fix this problem while it obviously puts Civic owners and their families at risk. A recall is obviously needed and I've complained to NHTSA but slow wheels...
  • edeberghedebergh Posts: 3
    We bought our Civic hybrid 2007 10 months ago. At 5 months it started to vibrate. It is most noticeable when the cruise control is on. The dealer has rotated the tires, alignment and switched the tires with a new hybrid. The dealer gave us our shaky car back saying it is a natural characteristic of the vehicle. Any thoughts?
  • larsblarsb Posts: 8,204
    Yes, that dealer is full of crapola.

Take it to another dealer. Or a local shop that you trust. It's NOT a characterisitic of the vehicle !!
  • etpetp Posts: 153
    2003,2004,2006,2007 civic hybrids

Gave the 2003 and 2004 to my daughter (no trans problems yet?)and had to get rid of the 2006. 2006 and 2007 had upper control arm problems. Just had the TSB done on the 2007 for rear upper control arms and now in the post wonder if this will works phase. Anyone have any long term results with the rear control arm replacement and other tires than the factory ones?
  • jonathannjonathann Posts: 55
    I have a 2007. I noticed the chipping/wearing of the inside edge of the rear tires when I had the oil change and tire rotation done at 8000 miles. I learned from this site the cause and fix for this problem.

Because the wear was not enough to worry about, I had the upper control arms replaced by the dealer (Honda covered), but did not replace tires.

I just had the 16,000 mile oil change and tire rotation done and the rear tires (formerly the fronts) showed no sign of unusual wear.

The control arm fix seems to have solved the problem.

Regards,

Jonathan
  • etpetp Posts: 153
    Went to Sams and got these tires and they work great at 42PSI. Took two days for it to mellow in and the mileage to start up again. But I am back where I was with a bigger around tire.

http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/navigate.do?dest=5&item=191936

Mine are made in Romania at the same plant the Michelins are made. I put these on the front only as I did not want to commit to 4 until I checked them out for 30 days.
  • Does anyone hit the top of their foot with the hush panel under the instrument panel when moving from the accelerator pedal to the brake pedal? There doesn't seem to be any clip to support the part of the panel that's closest to the accelerator pedal. The Service Manager said that only one other customer has complained about this, and there is no resolution. I have asked him to order another piece because the one I have may have warped from the heat and started to hang. Mine wasn't always this way - just noticed it today. The hush panel is only on the hybrid and the upscale models. I believe this qualifies as a safety concern because there is not a clear upper path between the pedals. Or maybe I just have big feet.
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,016
    A reporter with a large financial magazine would like to speak with hybrid owners and their experiences. If you are a hybrid owner, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact information no later than Wednesday, August 6th.

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• djoydjoy Posts: 1
    I'm not seeing much here about 2009 models but I've begun to hear about the legacy alignment problems and am wondering about my brakes, which feel a bit funny. Has Honda dealt with the alignment issues? With the brakes, it feels like the car starts to rev high when I have to come to a quick stop. I'm trying to drive like a fuel efficient old lady and usually brake very sloooowly, but when I first got the car the braking was even a little scary at times. Any comments?
  • frednjudikfrednjudik Posts: 22
    I have a new Honda Civic Hybrid. It has 1,700 miles on it. Break-in period is supposed to be 600 miles. The dash indicator indicates 33mpg. The Honda Dealer says that the Hybrid needs 5,000 mile break-in period before it will get the higher gas mileage. I notice also that the EMA indicator only displays when first taking off from a dead stop, meaning the electric motor is assisting. I haven't noticed it coming on at other acceleration points. Has anyone else been experiencing this with a very low miles Honda Civic Hybrid? Is it true that the Hybrid needs this long 5,000 mile break in period? I have noticed that other discussions that discuss gas mileage, it is not indicated how mileage is determined. On the instrument panel, or dividing real gallons used, into real miles?
    Thanks for any responses.
2»
This discussion has been closed.