Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit MPG - real world numbers

Comments

• eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    27 in traffic? Awesome baked! Glad she's giving you better numbers.

Yeah on paper our engines definitely have most other japanese cars out gunned. Except maybe the mazda 3 2.3 which has more horspower, but less torque. But i've heard it gets absolute dismal mileage, and not that much different from our car, which has an extra cylinder, more displacement and more weight.

Having said that, once the 08 rabbits come out, as far as figures go, we will still have everyone out gunned! :P
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Posts: 3,855
    I've got that 2.3 in a Mazda6 and my wife has a Jetta with the 2.5.

These two cars a close in weight (closer than the 3 and the Jetta). Acceleration figures, based on CR data, are about the same for these two. About 9.5 sec. for 0-60. So in the real world these two engines perform about the same.

I would not read too much into a 20 HP change, maybe the change will just be a shift in the HP peak to higher rpm and a trade off of low-end torque.
    So in the real world these two engines perform about the same.

agreed. It just makes a good case for the bunny, since it is an iron block, and is bigger in displacement and has the almighty extra cylinder. They do weigh about the same, but i think its still in the favor of the 3.

Actually the new figures for the 2.5 in the rabbit will be 170hp and 177 lbs of torque in the same rpm range. Its just better high end and a higher redline that i would like.
  • dscanuckdscanuck Posts: 2
    Well I have over 18000 km on my 2007 rabbit and I now get about 36.161 MPG of highway drivng at about 120km/75miles. City I get about 28.4125 MPG.

I think this works out pretty well
  • pulgopulgo Posts: 400
    Is that based on Imperial gallons?

Automatic or manual?
    i was wondering the same thing; this sounds a bit lofty, very lofty in fact. I got the same exact miles in the city and about 2 mpg better on the highway....with my 06 civic with a 1.8 litre engine tuned for fuel economy and residing in a chassiss that weighs less.

It could be that you drive a lot of highway; but then there is no explanation as to why your city miles are so high.
    The rabbits highway driving stickers at 19 mpg city and 28 highway (new epa standards.) So you get and astounding 9 mpg in the city and 8 mpg on the highway more? Hmm...

I drove to asheville this weekend and about 90% of all my driving was highway at about 75 mph and i got a record 362.2 miles to a tank. That resulted in an average of 28 mpg, my best tank ever. With your numbers, JUST driving in the city and assuming you pump the usuall 13 us gallons that the rabbit takes you should be able to go about 365-370miles (even better than what i got driving mostly highway) in the city and about 470 on the highway. My civic could not even do that, even factoring in its smaller gas tank.

I agree this works out very well! But you must be the only one of us to have a diesel. :P
    but then there is no explanation as to why your city miles are so high.

"City" mileage will vary a lot. Because what people call "city" driving varies a lot. Driving in Chicago traffic, for example, is far different from Milwaukee. What the EPA tests is probably more like the latter.

CR test came up with 16 mpg for the Jetta 2.5, IIRC...Rabbit would presumably be about the same. Theirs is a pretty tough test, probably simulates the Chicago or NY type of driving.
  • dscanuckdscanuck Posts: 2
    I do my driving here in Canada. I drove 600 on 3/4 of a tank and then when I arrived i drove 50km back and forth to someones house then filled up it took 52 L. (sorry Metric system).

When i first bought the Rabbit i was getting really really bad km's but after reaching 18 000km it has been amazing
    So you are getting 23.66 MPG city (US gallons) and 30.11 MPG highway. Not particularly outstanding numbers I dare to say.

You still haven't answered if you drive an automatic or a manual.
    outstanding compared to what? Other cars in the class w/ similar engine sizes? Have you ever been to the mazda 3 hatch boards and seen what posters there get? Its not much more, and the engine is smaller, lighter, more hp(less torque tho) and its devoid of one cylinder when compared to the rabbit. I'd expect better numbers personally, from an engine that has all those advantages over the 2.5 in the vw.

Besides, if the car stickers at 19/28 regardless of tranmission, i'd say his numbers are great.
    I said NOT outstanding meaning nothing to write home about. What I am saying is that quite a few cars in the same segment (Corolla, Civic, Focus, Elantra, etc) are capable of similar or better MPG numbers.

As you said, and I agree completely with you, I would expect better numbers from this car and YES, I frequent the Mazda 3 board as well.
    i understood what you said, and yes the civic and corolla and the like get better numbers, but their engines are very much so tiny in comparison.

Plus he's EXCEEDING the epa, out of all the cars to do it in, i think the fact that its the rabbit (which has been labled a gas guzzler here), is the icing on the cake!
    Well, some drivers are lucky or just know how to extract the best mileage out of their cars. My 2001 Toyota Echo automatic is rated at 32 and 38 MPG (city/highway) but my 6 year average over 164k miles is 41, way better than even the highway rating.

I regularly exceed the speed limit (on the highway portion of the commute) by at least 10 to 15 MPH and 50% of my daily commute is stop and go. 40 miles one way take me 1 hour and 20 minutes.

What about the Elantra? It also has a 2 liter engine and has a better MPG rating.
    What about the Elantra? It also has a 2 liter engine and has a better MPG rating

true...but is also a smaller 2.0 as oppossed to the 2.5 in the rabbit. Plus its a four cylinder, wheras the rabbit is a five. And last but not least, the elantra weighs less than the rabbit as well.

Even if we are comparing 2.0 litre engines, it depends also on the state of tune. The civic si has a 2.0 and gets worse mpg than similarly sized engines, but it has a colossal redline and a lot of hp to boot.
  • hi dscanuck,

Im really considering getting that 2007 Rabbit as I my work is 78 miles oneway. Ive driven all these hatch GTi manual six, GTi Tiptronic, Rabbit Manual 5 and the Rabbit Tiptronic Six.

The only very noticeable thing that I discovered is the Rabbit matic 6 has only 2,000 rpm on 70 mph. the rest are 2,500rpm.

:confuse: Are you using Matic 6 or stick 5? What octane do you use and what brand?

Im using 89 octane. But I definetely would say brand has big diffs.
    i dunno how valid his posts are...hes only been in here to post and then never return.

I've got the six speed tiptronic, and yes the rabbit does cruise at very low rpms; its just the gearing.

i only use bp gas, and have tried out different octanes, and none of the higher ones seemed to affect mileage to the point where i would use them all the time.
  • Have you not been driving stick for very long?
    I find the rabbit to be amazeningly easy to shift and im able to start from a stop in second gear (yes it has happened accidentally) your mpg should go up if you do your shifts around 3000 rpm
    im averaging 27 mpg
  • shirotorishirotori Posts: 51
    I just got back from a week 1,000 mile trip with 90% highway miles using 87 and 89 octane fuel. On the leg of the trip where it was hot and thus using air con. I got about 25.5 mpg and the rest of the trip I was getting about 26.5 mpg without air con. I now have 2,000 miles on the car and am really enjoying it. I just hope the mpg will get a little better, though I'm sure that once I get more proficient at the manual the fuel economy will also improve.
    it should get better; my wife and i only travel about 75-85% highway and we average 28 to 29. Actually, this weekend i drove to asheville, nc (which is about 2 1/2 hours from where i live now) and just before leaving i topped off the tank. Only to realize that the gas station i was at had gas that 'may' contain ethanol. (i had already passed the bp station, which is where i ALWAYS fill up.)

I have one of the best tanks ever now, granted that half of it was driven on ALL highway, but exceeding the speed limit by about 10mph. I'm just barely below the halfway point, and am turning over 250 miles. If i can hit over 300 before a quarter of a tank is left, and i get over 360 miles before i run out, i will have the highest mileage tank ever recorded.
  • My wife and I were considering a Rabbit and after reading the mpg's you guys get I can not believe it. I got better mpg in my leased 04 GTO with an LS1. I am really glad I came here and read this. However, I also have an 04 Honda Oddy that gets 9mpg. The Rabbit is a really nice little car, and we almost went to drive it today.
    you must be a tremendously conservative driver.

the ratings for the 5.7 of that year are 16/26
    and for the auto its 15/20. (talk about horrible gearing.)

both of these would average a bit less than a rabbit. plain and simple. no one has been posting horrible mpg numbers here so i don't understand why you 'cannot belive it'. did you take into consideration how big the engine is? or, like so many other people, did you just look at the cars price and assume it was super fuel efficient? :blush:

if you 'cannot belive' the rabbits gas mileage, never buy and accord, camry, or ANY other midsize, or any mazda offering at this price (with the exception of the 2.0 in the 3) because they ALL get around the same mileage with similar engine sizes.
  • I'm spending too much time in these forums. I plan on picking up my new rabbit later this week, and will probably post on here as much as Edlaino. p.s. Thanks for all of your info on here Eldaino! Helping me feel a little more confident about my purchase.
    I plan on breaking the Rabbit in for 1000 miles staying below 70 mph, and considering how much highway driving I do, I hope to average just shy of 30mpg. If I do that, I will only be a few MPG below my friends Civic. Thanks to the cruise control, and how much late night trafic fee highway miles I drive, I hope to get close to that goal within a few months. I will keep you guys posted once I finally pick the car up!
  • shirotorishirotori Posts: 51
    I now have 3,000 miles on my Rabbit with mostly highway miles. I am now getting about 29 mpg. I LOVE this car.
    It is less fuel efficient than my wife's CRV!

Actually it should get about the same mpg, if driven the same way as a CRV. The ratings are within 1 mpg of each other...with the rabbit being rated 1 mpg higher on the freeway and the CRV 1 mpg higher in city.

Why so astonished with the comparison to the CRV :confuse: , thse two vehicles are about the same size and weight.
  • haybusterhaybuster Posts: 2
    I have been reading your posts and I feel that you have helped a lot of folks. Thanks for your valuable input. I have a 2 door 2007 Rabbit with the 5 speed manual. Fuel economy averaged 28 MPG at 2,000 miles, 29 MPG at 4000 miles and 31 MPG at 6,000 miles. This is mixed highway and rural back roads with steep topography. I feel that the trick to improved fuel economy is to be gentle with the car and shift the manual 5 speed at 2,100 rpm.
  • My Ls1 got 19-20 All city and 30 Highway....And the Highway was fully loaded for vacation, 2 adults filled back seat and trunk I had to sit on to latch. As far as mid sized sedans..I have an Altima with a 3.5. It gets 30's highway and low 20's city. I have an MR2 with a 2.2 L that gets 28 City and 34 Highway, and it's 17 years old. So I am considering the engine size....Which is why the Rabbitt is not so impresive to me.

Sill a good looking car....But if I am going to go that small..I'd expect some benefit from my lack of room and car for that matter
    The 5 cylinder 2.5 liter engine simply is not a gas miser.

I suggest you wait until a diesel version is available.
  • A good Idea. Wife and I stopped and looked at a few today......Very nice little car. They were closed

There was a white GTI that was beautiful....But 30K..WOW

And the Eos...Nice car....35 K Double wow...!
  • haybusterhaybuster Posts: 2
    I was a little nervous about the fuel economy when I purchased my Rabbit. Considering the volatile geo-politics in regards to oil, I was surprised that VW did not engineer a more efficient engine for the North American market. I decided to purchase the Rabbit in good faith that the fuel economy would be decent by exercising common sense - driving gently and keeping up with the maintenance. To make a long story short, 31 mpg for an average is acceptable to me. It is a heavy car, weighing as much as my girlfriend's FWD small SUV. I am not sure if a Honda Fit or Corolla can do this well considering the weight.
    well guys (and if there is any gals) i'm glad i could be of some help! i didn't realize my little posts where so useful! i'll keep em up, i'm going to update my rabbit log in a bit as well, so hopefully any questions can be answered there as well.

have an Altima with a 3.5. It gets 30's highway and low 20's c

again i think you are a conservative driver. the last gen altima is rated at 17/24 WITH premium gasoline, so if you are getting those numbers, more power to you, you are no lead foot. if you have a new altima, its a bit better, at 20/26, but would still have to be driven fairly conservitley to achieve those numbers. Me? i drive normally, and actually floor it quite often.

But if I am going to go that small..I'd expect some benefit from my lack of room and car for that matter

here's my beef with this statement; when you are shopping for a car this size, that is simply it: you are shopping for a car this size. you can't start getting into thinking about midsize mileage and the extra space that comes with it, especially since those cars make you PAY for that extra space. The rabbit is a very affordable car and priced at if not lower than most of its competition. the BENEFITS you ARE getting are a much peppier ride, and great passing power, and the BEST interior for the money.
This discussion has been closed.