Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit MPG - real world numbers

124»

Comments

• flwindflwind Posts: 1
    I cannot believe this car gets such horrible gas mileage...I get a consistent 25mpg on my 4cyl Tacoma 4x4 , inflated the tires to their limit an got a best 28mpg on mostly country road driving 45-55mph...Why does this car get such bad mileage...I was considering purchasing one for the wife but not anymore...Guess it's going to be a Yaris for her....
  • tacalintacalin Posts: 7
    ... my numbers... meaning that they are in the limits published by the builder...

So, on the HW:
    27.5 MpG at 87.5 MpH (almost) constant speed or 8.5 L/ 100 Km at 140 Km/h.

City/HW:
    20.5 MpG at 37.5 MpH or 11.5 L/ 100 Km at 60 Km/h

I used 87 octans. Once I used 94, but the consumption was pretty much the same... The city is Montreal, so often the driving is stop & go.

After 27 000 Km ( 17 000 Miles) I can say that:
    - the seats are a little bit harder than expected... On a long trip your [non-permissible content removed] begin to give pains... :)
    - there is a little noise coming from the bord, and it become very anoing in the city, on the bumped roads.
    - the variable sound control gives me a boost on the bass when slowing down.
  • hatchbackfreak said:

"Thanks. What I didnt see was the Civic. I got an 07 Civic now. 1.8Coupe. I hate Honda for not releasing the Hatchback in the US. Mileage is way to fantastic. Imagine a 140hp that does 37mpg?..What a wonderful engine...I still think of the Rabbit. Theyre now 13,000+.. I guess for having a 2.5L engine made a poor market since gas hike has been going on.. "

Do you mean people are buying 2008 new Rabbits for $13,000?

If so, where?

Thanks.
  • I just co-signed on an 08 Rabbit coupe for my college son. 1.9% for 48 mos. Black with auto. It had about 800 miles on it so we decided to take it on a 200 mile highway run from West Virginia to Pittsburgh. Out and back on the PA Turnpike-about 400 miles in all. MPG was 29.42 while driving at speeds up to 80 mph. Air was on almost the entire trip and and all but about 40 miles were on the highway. The Rabbit ran great. We are happy to be getting this MPG on this solid car.
  • kilo411kilo411 Posts: 2
    HAVE AN 86 JETTA DIESEL OVERSIZED RABBIT 1.6 / GETS 38-40 MPG IN TOWN 46-48 HIGHWAY @ 65 // 38 MPG @80 WITH AIR ON BOUGHT IT NEW IN 86 ONLY THING I WOULD FIT IN LEGS DONT HIT STEERING WHEEL WHEN I SHIFT AND HAS BIG TRUNK// JUST HAD TO GET USED TO LESS POWER
    AIR IS GREAT / PARTS A LITTLE PRICEY BUT SO FAR I LIKE THE CAR REAL WELL GET ME WHERE I WANT TO GO AND ITS PAID FOR /DIESEL IS HIGHER BUT MPG MAKES UP FOR IT
    HAD A 72 SUPER BEETLE ALSO 34 MPG FUN CAR IN SNOW WOULD NOT HESITATE TO OWN ANOTHER ONE
    KEEP ME POSTED
  • I have had my Rabbit for about 2000 miles now. I really like the car, but am extremely disappointed in my mileage. The sticker had and EPA range of 22-29. I made the transition to drive conservatively a while back as gas prices went up, and am doing the same with this car.

During my approx. 8 fill-ups since I owned the car, I am consistently getting around 19.5 mpg. I do mostly city driving, but expected to get at least the published mpg minimum.

I replaced my 2006 Passat , which I loved, at the end of the lease to the Rabbit to get improved mileage. The Passat was getting about 22 mpg in the city (31-32 on the highway). Prior to that I had a Jetta. Of all the 3 VW's I have had, this one gets the worst mpg, hands-down.

I have been hoping that this problem was just because the car needed to be "broken in". However the mpg is staying the same on every tank.

Other than driving more conservatively, which I don't think is possible for me given that I already make a concerted effort to drive that way, is there anything else I can do to the car to save some $$$ at the pump?

Thanks
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    I have the 2008 Rabbit 4-door for only about 600 miles now. Three fill-ups.

First two fill-ups: both 24 mpg, driving extremely conservatively, due to breaking in the new engine, which is completely unnatural for me, coming from a BMW 545i.

Third fill-up: drove more my usual way, but still not all-out: 22.6 mpg.

Conclusion: I would rather sacrifice some mpg and have some fun, so I would expect my future mpg to be mostly in the 21-22 range.

I am resigned to the fact that mpg with the 2008 Rabbit will be disappointing. At least it takes regular fuel.

One review I read somewhere from a guy who owns a 2008 VW GTI stated his mileage noticeably got better at around 5000 miles, so maybe there is some hope for us down the road. We'll see.
  • vio1vio1 Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Im driving a 2008 vw rabbit and just got myself a scangauge 2. Im getting really bad milage even with very gentle driving. In the city im averaging around 20L/100km (11.7mpg)... i havent done much highway driving yet, but i have done some mixed driving (city/highway and the best possible average i was getting was 14.7MPG. This car is rated at double that... why am i getting such poor results?
    Im not gunning the car, im coasting whenever i can. Im not idling in traffic that much. I try and press the pedal only enough to get the car moving, and no aggresive driving.

Is this a normal result?
  • hpowdershpowders Posts: 4,269
    No it's not!!

Don't rely on any gizmos to do your mpg. Do it yourself!! Record the miles or km driven since the last fill-up and the gallons or L used which you can read right off the gas pump. I always do it myself. I use a hand calculator to divide the miles traveled by the gallons pumped. It's the best way to do it.

You have a trip odometer which can be set to zero miles or km. after you fill-up to keep track for you until the next fill-up. Keep setting it back to zero after copying down the distance traveled, after every fill-up.

I just got 29.2 mpg, yesterday, mostly highway. I'm averaging just over 24 mpg with 1400 miles driven. I have my 2008 Rabbit 4 door automatic for 6 weeks now and my mpg findings are right in line with what it should be.

Try doing it by hand calculation. If you still get 11-15 mpg, take it back to the dealer's service dept.

I have a feeling it's the scan-gauge that's defective and not your Rabbit! Most folks are averaging around 23-24 mpg.
  • I have a 2008 VW Rabbit and also am using a ScanGauge II - but your results are way off.

Pull out your manual for the scangauge and reread the section on setup and fill ups. You will want to fill up, reset the gauge, and then make sure you have it set for the right size engine and tank. Then drive througn your next fill up, use the fill up function without adjustment, drive again. At the next fillup you can adjust using the fillup function.

Once you have that you'll get a much more accurate picture of the mileage. I found that for the most part the scangauge was within 4% of my hand calculated mileage on my last car.
  • My 2008 Volkswagen Rabbit (Golf) features the 170hp version of the 2.5L Inline 5 engine found in Jettas and Rabbits in North America. It is the 3-door hatch and has the standard 5-speed manual transmission which is a delight to use compared to that in the Mazda3 which I found to be slightly rubbery in comparison.
    My car already has over 22,000 miles on the clock (I bought it brand new in January of 2008) since I drive all over the place and my fuel mileage in mixed driving with my heavy foot has averaged around 25/26 miles per gallon.

My best fuel mileage came about on a 63 miles per hour road trip to Indianapolis, Indiana, the drives in the city there, and a 63 mph drive back to Coldwater, Michigan in which my car averaged 30.5 miles per gallon, or roughly 31 mpg!

Could efficiency be better? Of course. But it's not nearly as bad as others have claimed here. Bring on the TDI's!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2008 or 2009 Volkswagen Rabbit who are also parents. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 3, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

124»
This discussion has been closed.