Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Rabbit Owners - give us your report!

Comments

• You're right. I am more "aggressive" driving the Rabbit than the CRV, but I don't push it that hard. It hasn't been run in yet, so I'm fairly cautious. For this tank I'm driving for max fuel efficiency to see what I can get. Perhap I've got a bit of a lemon.

The service department succeded in fixing the dash rattle the second time. Unfortunately another one has appeared now. I think I'll have to live with it.
  • Second tank - 22 mpg
    Third tank - 22.5 mpg
    "Spirited" driving in-city with some in-city freeway miles.
    2006 Rabbit - manual transmission.

:D YMMV

Jim
  • jan16jan16 Posts: 2
    Hi
    Just wanted to share some of my experiences with the Rabbit. I have a Golf V 2.0 TDI 6-speed manual. It has 140 bhp and over 200 lb and does about 33 mpg in the city and 40 mpg on highways. The best thing about this car is the torque. Especially on high speeds 100 mph and above you feel the difference with a gasoline powered car ( my previous car was a e46 BMW 325i) and believe it or not, it doesn't get worse than 33 mpg. Topspeed is 130 mph, whilst showing 135 on the speedometer and is reached in no time. What is surprising is that for a compact car it is very stable at such high speeds. Very much an improvement over the previous Golf.

I bought the car with 22.000 km and after 30.000 more I still enjoy everytime I drive, whether in the city or on ">link titlethe highway.

The downside though is the pollution, as my car isn't equipped with a particle filtre, perhaps it will be available as an aftermarket accessory.
  • v_dv_d Posts: 89
    And you got the 2.0 TDI in North America?
  • Hello all,

I am a 06 Bunny owner for exactly 2 weeks & thought I'd share my experience...

My past 2 cars were '98 & '01 Jettas both automatic with sunroofs. My last one hit about 91k and I knew it was time to start looking but I didn't like the new style Jetta with the shiny grill in front. Then I saw the Rabbit online and built & bred it many times and was hooked.

I went to the local dealship and they had the perfect color (Sage) & a 4 door. One problem: it was a manual and I have never had one only practiced in a parking lot a few times on a friend's Audi S4 (WAY HARDER). Anyways long story short, after 2 days of 2 local dealships with the same car playing the price wars game I took her home.
    NOw 2 weeks later I can honestly say I won't go back to an automatic unless I had to. I love the pick up it gets forthe size & type of motor in it. I wish it had a 6 speed but oh well for the price and all the little bells & whistles that are included it is a good deal. And mine has been great on gas!

So I can honestly say I am in love!! :blush:
  • I have the same noise, i think it is coming from the radio speaker, although i hear it with the radio off also. it may be a bad speaker, i am going to bring it into the dealer.
  • Hey bunnylover06 a hearty congratulations to you on your purchase, I got my 06 bunny (in black uni) a couple of weeks ago as well. I would also like to welcome you to the manual tranny family - we are definitely a special breed.
  • I'm running into the same problem as you. I have little exprience driving a manual tranny. Part of me tells me to get the manual, but the other part tells me to stick to what I know. Gotta make the decision fast too b/c these cars are flying off the lot in my area.
    once you get used to the manual tranny, you wont get an auto next time... it's way more fun than the auto, playing with the clutch and changing when YOU want, plus with the manual the Rabbit feels more "alive!" :)
  • jwodaejwodae Posts: 11
    I brought it back. The first time, they didn;t remove the noise at; so i doubt whether they worked on it at all. The second time, they did remove the noise, well, for the most part. However, there are other noise coming from the dash board and from the very corner from the passenger's right side. These latter noises are only 30% of the time and not loud. I wonder if I should bring it back? I doesn't sound like a brand new car, but I also hesitate that they may compromise my airbag and other stuff when they open it up....
  • After the rather disappointing 19.1 mpg for my second tank, I made sure I took driving easy for the third. Got 18.7 mpg. I did drive fairly fast one evening for about 10 miles but don't expect that splurge had much of an impact. This car (3dr auto) drinks gas and I would not recommend it as a commuter car.

Also, although the dash rattle is not so bad after the second repair attempt (original rattle has gone), today the CD player started making a loud popping noises through the speakers. It's worse with MP3's (really bad) than CD's, and doesn't happen on the radio. So it’s back to the service department I go (for the third time.)
  • micwebmicweb Posts: 1,617
    Sounds like you never go on the freeway. I had mileage worse than that on an '97 Golf automatic, but I was only driving it (almost only) within the city limits of San Francisco. If you look at Consumer Reports, city mileage on almost all vehicles is terrible.
  • Slowly but shirley I am getting better. I must say that even though I am not proficient yet I love it WAY more than an AUTO. So to all of you out there considering this save the $1000 and get a stick it is way more fun. Thanks to everyone's feedback & support! :)
  • Is this Rabbit picture wrong?

This article is supposed to be about the new Rabbit but it looks like they show a picture of the old GTI. Am I right?

The Bunny Returns
    http://www.dallasvoice.com/artman/publish/article_2847.php
  • Walked behind my new Rabbit today and noticed the little rabbit insignia on the back was stolen, as evidenced by the gouge marks from some punk prying it off with a key. While the loss of the insignia is not terribly significant, I would like to have caught the guy that thought this was a good idea. Anyway, be warned. These little rabbits will likely become hot items for idiots with little respect for property. Maybe I can buy mine back on ebay.
    I'm so glad you like the manual more than the auto, especially because you've never driven a car with a manual before. It's something this days (when everybody says AUTOMATIC and never tried a MANUAL).

btw... the guy with the picture: yes it is wrong... you can get a look at the rabbit at your left (ads) and feel free to navigate www.vw.ca www.vw.com

Cheers! :)
  • gasman1gasman1 Posts: 321
    That sucks!

Sorry to hear that you got ripped off and also that your car received damage in the process. In 1979, I had more than $1K in damage done to my car for a theif to get a cheap factory AM/FM radio. They busted out a window using a BIG rock. However, they also damaged the paint and chrome molding in doing that. Then they broke the dash getting the radio out. (I still have a lot of choice words for them.)
  • I'm an '07 Rabbit owner with manual transmission. I've gotten at least 22mpg at each fill up. When 50% of my tank is used on highway, I get closer to 28 mpg per tank. I have owned the vehicle for close to a month and already have 1700 miles on it. I'm satisfied with my purchase and am impressed by german engineering as it is built in Wolfsberg. This is my first manual transmission car and I'm enjoying it while still rounding out my rough shifting habits.
    Awesome! More people switching to manual :D
    IMO only dumb ppl need a robot to change their gear, cause they can't.

Happy shifting :) !
  • backybacky Twin CitiesPosts: 18,733
    Just because you prefer a stick, it doesn't mean you need to insult the intelligence of the many people who prefer an automatic for whatever reason--or have to use an automatic because of a handicap.

Smart people don't need to put others down in order to feel good about their choices.
    90% of ppl using a automatic aren't handicaped. they just don't wanna know/learn how to use a manual. THey don't have the thing needed to use the clutch, just gas and go go go! And I didn't say I'm smart btw, just that lots of people buy an automatic cause they cannot learn use a stick.
    My apologize if anyone likes the automatic!
  • i think that people choose a auto over a manual trans like myself because of the convienence factor.you just step on the gas and go and and auto trans is much easier when you are talking on the cell phone.unless it's a hands free phone.also there are no clutches to replace with a auto trans compared with a manual.and some clutches are very expensive to replace as you manual trans rabbit owners will find out in time.my step mom's 01 jetta cost her over 500.00 to replace the clutch at 80,000 miles.
    yeah especially if you live in big city or commute to work everyday. Rush our is a really pain... when you have a manual.
  • I've driven stick shifts all my life. I've just purchased a Rabbit with auto transmission. I'm in my 60's, and need to preserve knee and hip joints in absolutely top condition. (I live in Seattle with lots of hills and traffic snarls). Too often a clutch will cause repetitive stress injury to knee and hip joints, for individuals whose physical mechanism is approaching end of life.
  • tomsr1tomsr1 Posts: 130
    I have owned many manual transmission cars
    and prefer the direct link and in control feel
    of the drivetrain but in So Cal the stop and go
    traffic is so bad a manual is a pain.So it depends on where you live. If I lived in a
    rural environment I would have a stick shift
    for sure.So people choose auto trans not because
    they are too dumb to shift but the traffic
    situation dictates it. :P
  • Happened to be browsing this thread to see what people thought of the new rabbit. (Had an '81 diesel that ended up with 200,000+ miles). Is that 22+ overall MPG? I have to be honest, that doesn't sound like great mileage to me. I have an '05 Acura TL w/270 hp V6 auto that averages the same. And thats mostly city driving. What does VW say the mileage should be? Hope I didn't burst anyones bubble.....
    22 City amd 30 Highway
  • That's right. Many people can drive a manual. I learned to drive on a manual and my first four cars were manual. But in those days I was a student and had no money. I'd put up with the drag of driving a manual around the city.

It's much less of a hassle to drive an auto around the city. That's why I use one, and I'm sure that's most others use one.

The only reasons to have a manual around town are:
    1. It's cheaper.
    2. it's often more fuel efficient.

The fun factor in the city is negated by the fact that it's a hassle constantly changing grears at every intersection.

It's weird that there is some cult status in having a manual. Maybe the manual zealots think they're "special" or something. It's like saying that it's cooler getting around the city on a horse!
  • Yes, city driving means my everyday car has to be an auto. My truck and my wife's convertible are sticks, but they only get driven once a month/once a week respectively.

I purchased a 2dr with the 6 speed auto Tiptronic and have been amazed by the mileage. It's the only car I've owned that always beats the EPA estimate. I get 25 around town and as high as 33 on the interstate. I really like this after owning a slow, non turbo PT Cruiser that got 19/21 mpg. I drive fairly aggressive and fast too.

I have some tech questions about this Tiptronic auto transmission. People often refer to it as the DSG, even in articles, but it's not. The DSG, in the GTI and other products, is a true clutchless manual in that it does not have a torque convertor (viscous coupling) but rather computer controlled clutches. It also features quick shifts due to the above and below gear being pre-engaged while driving in a gear. So my questions are:
    1) Does the Rabbit (and New Beetle, Jetta) Tiptronic have a torque convertor like a conventional auto or does it use computer controlled clutches? I know it doesn't have pre-selected above and below gear feature like the DSG.
    2) What are the comparable gear ratios and axle ratios for the 6 speed Tiptronic vs. the standard manual? I know the Tiptronic (auto) has two overdrives which really help highway fuel economy and the lower gear spacing helps around town as well. The power loss advantage and fuel economy of the 5 speed manual has to be offset by the gearing of the 6 speed Tiptronic. Does the 5 speed manual only have one overdrive?

On another transmission note, anyone with an auto played with the 'S' setting on the transmission? Thought it meant snow or something related to low gear, but I read the manual and it means Sport. It will hold the revs forever on a country road, really limits upshifting. Not as fun as a manual on a back road, but it's still a nice surprise.
    Thanks for posting! It's great hear about you getting MPG numbers like 25/33.
This discussion has been closed.