Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Volkswagen Rabbit Audio & Entertainment System Problems

Comments

• v_dv_d Posts: 89
    speedometer on the right,
    rpms on the left... come on it`s not that hard to rem... and rpms go up and down quicker than speed does... ;)
  • I'm actually having the iPod adapter removed and the glovebox aux input installed.

The lack of iPod functionality is really annoying, and makes it almost useless, at least for the way I use it. I use random play sometimes, but usually I look up an artist and play an album. The iPod adapter won't let you do that.

My rabbit came with the 6cd changer and sirius radio, which i love, so being able to just plug the iPod into an aux input will make things that much better.
  • eldainoeldaino Posts: 1,618
    man that stinks, but i hope it works out.

I didn't realize that they could install the aux input for you
  • It's alright, kinda minor compared with how much I'm enjoying the rest of the car.

The dealership is shocked, they say everyone wants the iPod adapter... if it actually worked I'd dig it.
    thats good to know man, i was considering it too! But for now, the aux is all good, it works fine and sounds exactly like a cd!
  • dsgurlydsgurly Posts: 1
    Hold down the scan button for two seconds vol will display on the radios screen turn the scan knob to the left to 1 and it should resolve the problem.
  • alikeithalikeith Posts: 2
    HI,
    Just wondering where the speakers are located in the 2 door mdels and the sizes?

Does the stereo sound good for a stock stereo?

Thanks,
    Alison
    despite what many may say, the stock stereo on the rabbit, while not very powerful, has a nice amount of speakers, and thus sounds nice. Its sounds nicer than the speaker system in my old 06 civic ex, which had two fewer speakers, but 160 watts of power.

i'm not exactly sure of the sizes are, but the locations are as follows (for 2 door models)

On the door itself:

two small (not tweeters) speakers by the door handle
    and two large (probably 6 inchers) speakers on the bottoms of the door, and 2 tweeters up by the dash.

on the back there are two large speakers by the side armrests and then two small sized speakers on top of that.
  • shirotorishirotori Posts: 51
    I'm just wondering how everyones i-Pod adapter with the radio configuration is working. For the first month of owning my Rabbit CD-1 through CD-5 had the first 5 playlists on my i-Pod while CD-6 would have all songs that are on the i-Pod. However, last week the radio basically stopped recognizing the i-Pod. CD 1 through 5 show "Fail" above the pre-set and have no control of the i-Pod. I can still use the i-Pod...still charges and listen to music, but I have to use it manually, not through the radio. I went to the dealership but they weren't sure, so they called the engineers who build the car or something. I got a call today saying that the way it works now is the way it is supposed to, but that doesn't make any sense considering the way it worked before. How is your i-Pod adapter working? Any issues out there? Any advice for me? Thanks
    what your dealer told you is a bunch of bullcrap. it worked that way before and should continue to do so. go to a different dealer, or contact vw of america directly.
  • o_rabbito_rabbit Posts: 5
    so im in a bit of a pickle. i want to play my ipod in my 2door 2007 vw rabbit. whats the best option? buy a simple fm transmitter perhaps? also, i used to own a civic in which i bought a 1000 dollar system for (speakers, amp, face plate) but i dont want anyone drilling into my new car to keep these things. should i sell them? if so, where? the system standard in my bunny is perfectly fine for me, nice clear sound and decent bass. i dont need a ghetto fab bumpin car!! :)
    also for alikeith: i went into best buy to figure out the sizes of the standard speakers for my current scenario. they have 6 or 6.5 inch ones in the front and 4 or 4.5 inchers in the back...hence the drilling involved if i wanted to keep my recently purchased infinity speakers in my old car.
    anyhoo HELP!!
    As far as the FM transmitter is concerned, I had one in my last vehicle and the sound quality was terrible. It was cracky and because it wasn't grounded I got alternator whine along with the music; the faster I drove the more whine I got. Not that that happens to everyone, but that was my experience.
    whats the best option?

You already have it in your car! just use the auxiliary jack (the cable for it is a male/male and i got mine at best buy for 10 bucks) set the radio to the AUX input and you are good to go!

you may not be able to control the ipod throught the radio itself, but the sound quality is great and there is no costly things to do to use it! Its WORLDS better than a stupid fm transmitter!
  • bluemeanybluemeany Posts: 3
    I bought a 4 door rabbit a few weeks ago and noticed at random times the bass boosts itself. It's quite startling becasue its a big increase. The volume doesn't change just the bass. All I have to do is turn down the volume then back to to the level I was listening and all is well. It may not happen for a couple of days and it may happen twice a day. My biggest fear is blowing a speaker....thats how much of an increase it is. I was aware of the possible automatic volume issue before I purchased but never heard of a bass issue....anyone else?
  • YUP!! I have the same problem! My husband works at a Volkswagen store and had taken my car in for tint and had them check out the problem with the stereo but Volkswagen said they are aware of the problem but haven't issued a fix or recall for it yet. That was last month. I haven't heard anything yet. I told him to check on it again.

Other then that I LOVE IT! Haven't had any other problems yet but only had it for three months.
    :shades:
  • I've noticed it too. It's happened a few times, but no biggy. I wont worry about it as long as it doesn't blow my speakers.
    i've had the crackly sounding speakers, but the bass bost has not reared its head.

is anyone else just planning on upgrading the system with new speakers/headunit anyway and never have to deal with this again?
  • Not sure if this has anything to do with the speaker issue: But I've got the 4 door model with the 10 speaker system. Has anyone had this issue w/ the 2 door model. Also: for those of you who have disabled the auto-volume adjusting, can you post how to switch it on/off in the Forum? I've been too lazy to look it up, I might do it today and post it. . . Eldaino?
    i'll look it up on the manual tonight. if i don't get too lazy. ;)

i don't think anyone has really made a differentiation on wether the car in question with the audio is a 2 or 4 door.

i just thought that given the amount of speakers vw give you, upgrading to an aftermarket kit would be amazing!
  • I'd also like to know how to adjust the speed determined sound levels. I got a 07 2D Rabbit but it came with the booklet for the 4D stereo, so I have to figure everything out by trial and error.

SOMEHOW I managed to get it to switch over to the AUX, but now I can't get it to pick up the AUX anymore suddenly. I have the cable, I have the player on, everything worked great before, but now...nothing.

Any help appreciated.
    its quite simple.

select cd, and then press that same button again. the screen should now say 'aux.'
  • I've tried that multiple times, as well as holding down the cd button. I had to have a new radio installed because the first one wouldn't eject cd's, at this point I have to assume that the new one was not wired up properly. Back to the dealership, again....
    sorry man. hopefully they can fix it.
  • steven39steven39 Posts: 636
    hi folks, iam also haveing the bass boosting on it's own in my 07 rabbit 4dr.also,my volume seems at times to adjust on it's own with the auto-volume feature in the off position.
    anyone else have the volume fade in and out on it's own???
  • Just brought home my new 08 Rabbit 2 door. Even though I do NOT have an IPOD, bought the add on for it just to get the armrest. I DO have ( & used to always use) an MP3 player in my Yaris. I read someplace here about the jack for my MP3 player being in the right glove box? I can not find that sucker! Any better clues as to where an old crippled man like myself may find such a thing? 4 hours of driving this 6 speed auto tranny WABBIT around & I am STILL finding "gadgets" about every minute or two......But i can NOT find the darn jack for my MP3 player. Any info much appreciated.
    Lucy
    The MP3 jack should be in the front right corner. I have an 07 Rabbit with the iPod adapter. However, the MP3 jack will not not work when the iPod adapter is installed. so unless this has changed with the 08s, you better buy an iPod if you wish to listen to music via an external player.
  • rv65rv65 Posts: 1,074
    A new iPod adaptor with USB is coming out maybe for 09. Also a new Navigation system is coming out. This new navigation system is touch screen and has a 30 GB HDD. No Maps are out yet but the Tiguan and Jetta sportwagen are the first to get it. MY09 is when this thing will debut. The hard drive also stores Music. Supports HDRadio, Sirius, Sirius Traffic, CD changers and more. SD card slot adds a nice touch. A new bluetooth unit will complement the unit. The new bluetooth module will integrate with the unit, MFD, and phone button. That requires programming. This unit is for a Skoda but VW could use it also. If you have a factory external CD changer or iPod adaptor then CD and AUX ground wire will have to be swapped to prevent distortion. The RNS-510 may require VAG-COM programming but the unit's aren't really avaliable in the US yet. It will come out with the maps. Maps from the current USA system wont work so yeah.

Also VW is going to release an RCD-510. This unit is like the RNS-510 but has no GPS unit. No hard drive but 6 disc cd changer and SD card slot. Works with the Skoda/VW BT unit and more.

Hope this helps.
  • rebe01rebe01 Posts: 1
    I did the same thing you did. I got the iPod adapter for the armrest, and i searched everywhere for the AUX input to the stereo. Unfortunately, they replace the AUX jack with a light in your glove box when they install the iPod adapter.

In short, you don't have an AUX jack, so you'll either have to use an iPod, or take it to the dealer and have them disconnect the iPod adapter and replace it with an AUX jack. Of course, make sure you request that they not remove the arm rest :). I am going to ask them how much this costs when i go in for my 5k service.
  • I have problems playing cd's that I have burned. Older burned cd's that I have seem to work but I have recently burned a whole bunch and it always comes up as an error. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • I'm having the exact same issue. I have tried burning as an audio cd, mp3, etc using two differant brands of cd's (stupid i know, but, i am ready to pull my hair out)

Anyone know what i might be doing wrong?