Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• apple4anaapple4ana Posts: 1
    It seems that everytime I take my Vue to the dealership for oil change and such, they tell me that I need some other pricey service as well. Today it was a front wheel tire alignment ($60), a fuel system cleaning ($140), and transmission fluid change ($250). I did get the alignment and fuel system cleaning; however, my owner's manual states that transmission fluid doesn't need done until 100,000 miles. I have 58,000. When searching this topic online, the views on changing transmission fluid is very diverse as to when and how often. My dad said he's never changed his in any of his cars ever. I don't know if I should just go with the manual recommendations or the dealership. I know the dealership wants to make money and my car has no issues at this time, so I hope I am making the right decision. Has anyone had their transmission fluid changed? Thoughts?
  • I just purchased a 2006 saturn vue the radio has power and plays but if i push any of the function buttons such as the seek or band it turns the radio off any help would be appreciated thanks.
  • Good morning paramedic250,

Unfortunately I am quite limited in my ability to troubleshoot vehicle concerns like this; however, I am hopeful that you'll get some great advice from other members of the Edmunds community. If you wanted to get this checked out a dealership, be sure to let us know as we're available to follow up on your visit or investigate the situation further. We can be reached at socialmedia@gm.com

Sarah, GM Customer Service
  • i have a 03 saturn vue awd 4cyl 2.2 liter,.. the check engine light is on .. at low rpms maybe first gear(its an automatic) it starts to shake,.. got it diagnosed and it said we needed a new oxygen sensor got that replaced this morning and this afternoon the light came on again and it started to shake again ,.. went back to the mechanic and it said the same oxygen sensor was bad in the diagnostic check,. is there something that could be shorting it out? or is there a wiring problem that is telling the computer something wrong?,.. ANY IDEAS OR SUGGESTIONS WOULD BE APPRECIATED,.. THANKS FOR YOU TIME :)
  • Removed left headlight.
    Saw a worms nest of plastic for the air intake to the air cleaner.
    WOWZER!
    Why would Saturn want to cause the intake air to worm and wonder thru a mase like this?
    I removed it!
    No differnce in intake air noise.
    On top of the engine is another large plastic box for the air between the filter and engine.
    Removed it!
    Used a piece of 3" aluminum dryer hose to replace it.
    Installed the hose and sensor to the new aluminum hose.
    No differnce in intake noise, fuel mileage or engine tune.
    Anybody have an idea of why Saturn used all that plastic in the air intake system?
  • yeah...my wife and I are both smokers.....Anybody know if there is/was an ash tray option available for this 2006 Vue?
    We use an ash tray "cup" in the cup holder, but it is between the arm rests and uncomfortable to use that way.
    I was hoping there was one that fit in the 'hole' below the radio.
    Help appreciated.
  • A "Tune up" these days amounts to changing the plugs. My 2L doesn't even have wires!
    The oil leak is probably from the drain plug loose and or the oil filter loose.
  • Check around on the base of the knob for a very small hole that an allen set screw sets...probably came loose...or backed out and fell off.
  • More than often that is caused by the heater core leaking, or a loose hose on the heater core. That's the only source for antifreeze smell in the cabin.
  • brake pads should be "normal wear and tear" on a lease car and not something you should have to be responsible for....especially in what...30,000 miles?
    Front brake pads cost about $30 at a auto store and take about a half hour to change. Have the neighbor kid change them for you and tip him 50 bucks!
  • Yeah, there's a relay in the engine compartment electrical box. Inside the cover it says which one it is. Go to the salvage yard and get another one...a couple bucks.
    I pulled my relay because I don't like those DRL's
  • To change a clutch in a front wheel drive vehicle the whole front A-frame needs to be detached and removed.
    That includes tie rods, etc. etc.
    Probably a sloppy mechanic.
    That squeel sounds like the throw-out bearing which mechanically operates the clutch when you push on the pedal.
  • Thanks! I have the exact same issue with my 2009 Vue; it started about two weeks ago but the service messages are intermittent - makes sense that it's a wiring issue. My 3 year warranty expires in 4 days (good timing!) so I'm dropping it off at the dealership tomorrow for repairs. Can't hurt to mention your findings to them. :)
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    How did everything go at the dealership on Saturday, peabee? If we can check into anything further for you, please contact us via email at socialmedia@gm.com (include your name, contact information, and the last 8 of your VIN with your inquiry).

• OOOOOOOOOps! RIGHT headlight, not left!
    Modifying the air intake system made a huge differnce.
  • 2006 Vue with the 4 cyl engine.
    Removed all the plastic air intake plumbing before and after the air cleaner box.
    Installed 4" aluminum dryer vent pipe in it's place. (Yes, reinstalled the sensors before the throttle body)
    Been driving this way about a month now.
    NOTICEABLE increase in throttle response!
    NOTICEABLE increase in gas mileage!....about 3 - 4 mpg!
  • If you find an answer please let me know. I HATE the sound of that one single horn Saturn decided to save money on.
    I THINK the horn relay is electronic located as an intrigal part of the horn plug assembly.
    I was thinking maybe go to the salvage yard and get an additional plug/relay assembly, connect into the line and solder the additional plug/relay.
    Then adjust the second horn rate of vibration to either more or less than the original horn which ever sounds the best.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    There is actually a science to getting a specific horn sound - as a suggestion, if you're looking to change, go to a site like JC whitney and look at their selection of replacement horn units - they are all pretty much plug and play 12 volt items and don't seem to be very expensive. You might just want to replace the actual horn with one that you think sounds better.

Putting in a second horn unit might actually make it sound worse unless you understand the science of sound including phase and amplitude. If you hear an old Cadillac horn(s) you can hear some of the possibilities.
  • In July of 2012, I purchased a 2008 Certified Pre Owned (CPO) Saturn Vue Redline. The car had 47,000 miles on it. As a certified vehicle, a 12 month, 12,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty with free regular maintenance for 2 years or 24,000 miles was attached to the purchase. From day one the car had problems. Here is a list of items that needed repair within the first 120 days:
    Steering wheel crooked
    Passenger side windshield wiper inoperable
    Heater vents inoperable
    Heater did not produce heat
    Break pedal vibration from ABS
    Battery died
    Passenger side strut replaced

I was out of town when the brake pedal started vibrating intermittently. One dealer said the rotors were bad - another dealer couldn't find the problem. When the battery died, I contacted GM to file a complaint against the selling dealership. The best I got was a certificate worth $100 for the NEXT time the piece of crap breaks down. Since then, the heater had to be repaired three times and the passenger side front strut has been replaced. In my 30+ years of buying cars, this has been my worse car buying experience.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,055
    4norm78,
    I'm so sorry to hear about the concerns you've had with your Vue! Are there any current concerns we could check into?