Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn Vue Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Check the owner's manual, and that's no help take to a dealer.
  • We have an 02 v6 awd auto with 98k on it a few weeks ago one night it overheated (gauge barely got to 3/4 mark) and car just shut down and wouldn't restart for a few minutes after it cooled down, it has a new thermostat so after checking things out I put a new water pump in after flushing the system. Now after it runs for about 15-20 minutes the oil light comes on and you can hear the valves tapping. The temp gauge never moves past 1/4 mark, no low coolant light, just oil light and tapping and a faint smell of burning rubber when you open hood. Any one have any ideas, it's not under warranty and I cant afford a huge repair bill. I'm thinking oil pump but it seems weird that it would go a day after the water pump goes.
  • I have a '03 Saturn Vue 5-speed 4 cyl. I am having a few electrical problems that may be ran together. My reverse lights do not work, I have checked bulbs and fuses, but all are fine, my speakers just went out, (I do not listen to loud music at all), clutch is making weird sounds when ran cold, my blinkers stop working when they feel like it, and I have to reset by using my flashers, and my steering wheel moans when ran cold. When my speakers went out you could actually smell something burning, not electrical smoke, but the smell reminded me of a spend air bag. It could be that my wife does not know how to treat the vehicle and has ran it into the ground, but she does not drive that much. Any suggestions? Like I said I have looked at fuses and most of the wiring, but am out of other options.
  • pvkarlpvkarl Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Saturn Vue 6 cyc with 60000 miles. For the past 18 months the car has had the following problem: at any time during normal driving, all the dash warning/information lights come one accompanied by the warning ding. Ding goes off after 30 seconds but all warning lights stay on. Most of the time the lights go off by them selves after 10-15 minutes of driving which means the dealer can't duplicate the problem. Accompanying this problem, occasionally only the ABS and Traction control light come on and occasionally you'll get an ABS brake pulse during normal braking. Brakes continue to function however when slowing from very low speed to a stop you sometimes get an ABS pulse or a sudden movement of the brake pedal about an inch....all the time the brakes are functioning. During recent service, tech found "no commuication to the BCM' and replaced the body control module. Problem did not recur for 10 days when first the ABS light and Traction light came on and then went off a few minutes later and a few days later the entire dash lite up again similar to before and with the same types of braking anomolies previously experienced. Since the dealer has never been able to duplicate this in spite of the BCM replacement and the problem remains. Any suggestions. Thanks
  • LASHAWNLASHAWN Posts: 303
    Have the dealer check the 40way connector down by kick panel on the driver side of the dash to see if it has corroded.
  • any one know where the left center body ground block is located on 2002 4cyl?? dealer is no help.
  • kanejkanej Posts: 1
    I recently purchased an '05 Redline with 60,000. The only issue I have is some weird shifting it tends to do. When I'm going under 50 mph and it shifts down into overdrive, it will stay in overdrive for 2-3 seconds before kicking back up into 4th like if I were going up an incline. After it shifts up, it stays there for a second or two before shifting back down in overdrive and the cycle starts again. However if I'm going over 50 it will shift down into overdrive and stay there until I make it shift up. I have had previous work expereince as a mechanic, but am unfamilar with both Honda engines and transmissions, especially the CVT that this has. Any thoughts, ideas, or similar experiences? Thanks!
  • I have been looking for a service manual for my 2007 Vue and finally Haynes has published one. New this year. It cover the years 2002 thru 2007. I found it while looking at the Haynes website but found it cheaper on half.com. Because it covers so many years, I think that the service info may be somewhat generic. It's better than nothing I guess. My owners manual gives no info about fuel filters. This manual does cover them but I'm still confused. I will post my fuel filter question in another message.
  • I have a 2007 FWD L4 with 63K.
    The owners manual has NO info about fuel filter service. The Haynes manual says replace every 60K. It also says Note: Only 02 and 03 models have external fuel filters. Later models have filters inside the fuel tank. They give no info on how to replace it. (See my other post about Haynes manual) Since the owners manual has no info, should I take that as Do Nothing or should I have it replaced? Thanks Mike :confuse:
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    I would take that as a "Do Nothing" since you have to remove the fuel tank to replace it. Haynes manuals are pretty ambitious when it comes to when they think you should do scheduled maintenance. I'm thinking that if they didn't mention it in the owner's manual as a scheduled service, don't worry about it. I've always followed the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual to the "T" and never had a problem with any of my cars related to it.

I suppose if you're one of those people with lots of free time on your hands, you could replace it just for fun but I personally wouldn't bother.
  • I agree. I will stick with the owners manual. Besides, free time I don't have anyway between my day job and the "Honey Do List". Thx Mike
  • mlsvmlsv Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Vue with manual transmission and need to have at least one shifter cable replaced - maybe both. The local transmission shop would not do it - they said we need to have Saturn do it. Does anyone know how much it will cost to have Saturn fix this? Thx.
  • 442dude442dude Posts: 373
    You're not going to find a Saturn dealer to fix it - there are few if any that are still open.

Its not a difficult job - any competent mechanic should be able to repair it. I can't guess on how much it will be but I'm thinking you're under $ 500.

Good Luck
  • :lemon: I had similar problems with my Saturn Vue. I am the original owner and after about a year, my cruise control went out. Then in 2005 my horn and sunroof quit working. then in 2007, my day time running lamps quit working. All of this was brought to Saturns attention and i was told it was "nothing". Then last year my horn quit working and my blinkers would only sometimes work. I had to trick my blinker to get it to work by touching my hazards. I have had my engine light on numerous times for weird things. Then, tonight, my car caught FIRE in the steering column. I have a recently new transmission; in early 2008, so i do not believe yours is your transmission. I hope you find the solution without it catching on fire as well. Good luck! :lemon:
  • I have owned my 2004 AWD V6 Saturn Vue for a little over a month now. It had approx 69,000 miles on it.

This issue has happened a few times in the past 2 weeks. The radio will kind of "freeze" on what ever it is doing. None of the buttons will operate, I cannot turn it off, change anything, lower or raise the volume, nothing.

I was out shopping when it first happened and I thought maybe it was a fuse. The radio was on too loud and it was annoying me so, I attempted to take the fuse out. I couldn't get it out with my fingers so I just left it alone. When I got back in the Vue to leave though, I turned the volume and it went down. Everything was normal again.

This has happened twice more. And each time it seems just moving the fuse around works. It is a good fuse, so what is the issue?

The radio I have is the am/fm cd player w/ mp3.

I researched buying a new vehicle for a year, and finally decided on the Vue, since the V6 was made by Honda. I'm hoping I'm not going to regret leaving my old reliable Honda for this Saturn! I'm keeping my hopes up since this issue is what I would call minor, or at least I hope it is minor and the only one to come.
  • I have a 03 saturn vue awd. I was recently going to replace my spark plugs and thermostat and a couple other things when I found out that I cannot get to these things. Does anyone know how I get to my spark plugs and thermostat?
  • bob_pbob_p Posts: 2
    My 'Service Engine' light is coming on when I press the button (turn on) the rear window electric defroster - anybody have this one before?
  • bob_pbob_p Posts: 2
    Correction, 'Service' light comes on, not 'Service Engine' (that would be weird)when the Rear Defroster button is pressed. I've checked the underhood fuse and swapped the underhood Rear Defroster relay to no avail. I recently replaced the battery, that's the only thing close to an electrical issue I've had. The connections at the Rear Defroster look good and no damage to the rear window - very strange.
    I still need to verify if the Rear Defroster is even working - I doubt it.
    'Service' light does go out after restarting, comes back on when Defrost button pressed again.
  • pkk1pkk1 Posts: 2
    I HAVE A 2002 VUE WITH MANUAL TRANSMISSION, FOR THE PAST TWO MONTHS MY CAR HAS HAD THIS PROBLEM; AT NORMAL DRIVING THE SERVICE LIGHT SOMETIMES COMES UP AND WHEN THIS HAPPENS ALL GAUGES; FUEL,SPEEDOMETER,TEMPERATURE ETC. STOP OPERATING AND DROP DOWN.ACCOMPANYING THIS PROBLEM IS THAT THE STEERING WHEEL BECOMES STIFF AND DIFFICULT TO MANOEUVRE.IT IS BECOMING DIFFICULT TO USE THIS BEAUTIFUL CAR AND ACTUALLY BECOMING DEJECTED. ANY HELP OUT THERE?
  • Yes I own a Saturn Vue 4 cyl 2009 and have a problem and dealers had reap me off and no solved problems