Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota 4Runner Real World MPG

Comments

• I have the 2007 V8 4WD 4RUNNER that i bought dirt cheap with only 16,000 miles on it. I bought it just as everyone was in a panic about the price of gas. I also own a 2005 BMW 325ci, if there are any negatives about the 4runner I have not encountered one yet, I absolutely love it, I am looking to purchase a pop up trailer and have read many positive remarks regarding its towing capacity. I have not yet used the 4WD, but it is nice to know that I have it. I have probably only driven my BMW a handful of times since I have owned the 4runner.
  • agnostoagnosto Posts: 205
    I was able to get 18MPG in the 1st tank from a dealer's low 6.7MPG when I took possesion of it. Now on my 2nd tank (around 400 miles in ODO) and computer AVG shows an amazing 22MPG mixed C/H miles. Wow, what an amazing vehicle, great job Toyota, you did it again!!!
    I got 22.1MPG (computer AVG) and 22.533MPG manually calculated AVG in mixed driving C/H in 2nd tank of gas and 705 miles in ODO... very impressive for a 4805 lbs vehicle!
  • quarkster, what kind of MPG are you getting nowadays on your 2000 4Runner?

I'm thinking about buying a 1999-2001 and want to know if they still get close to original MPGs when new.

Also, thinking about spending a little more to get a 2003+ as it has 5-speed Auto Transmission.
    I got 23.3MPG (computer AVG) and 22.642MPG manually calculated AVG in mixed driving C/H for the 3rd tank of gas for 440.2 miles and in a different gas station.
    I just drove 325 highway miles (90%) on a full tank of gas and going away from home without cruise control I averaged over 24MPG (computer calculated) and here is the big surprise coming back home and using cruise control set most of the time between 56-58mph I got an amazing over 26MPG (26.4MPG to be precise computer calculated)... Wooow, what an amazing beastly vehicle the new 2010 4Runner Limited 4WD is... Thank you Toyota, you have done again an amazing job!!!
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    my last 3,000 miles saw about 60/40 highway/city and I am averaging 18.9mpg. I tend to be a bit heavier than average on the pedal.
    I see... try to be gentle in the pedal since the 2010 4Runner has more than enough torque to handle mostly all driving conditions, truly, I was not expecting to achieve more than 25MPG when using the cruise control, but I was proven wrong, when I tried it and noticed I was driving about 1500-1850rpm especially in the highway... what an amazing vehicle this 2010 4Runner is :)
    441.1 miles (90% highway) with 25.43MPG manually calculated and 25.6MPG computer calculated. Wow, it is nice to know you can drive over 500 miles on a single tank of gas.
    Wow, 27.1MPG (computer calculated) and 26.69MPG (manually calculated) it is unheard but true, as I did it driving 98% highway miles and cruise control set at 55mph... great job Toyota, what an awesome vehicle!
    Has anybody achieved better than 27.2MPG AVG computer calculated in a 2010 4Runner?
  • pjc1pjc1 Posts: 72
    "Has anybody achieved better than 27.2MPG AVG computer calculated in a 2010 4Runner?"

with my V6 certinly not.
  • Toyota are very gas friendly car... I have 2006 Camry le V6. 90 % freeway.. I average 28.8 mpg. but the other car I have 2010 pilot 4wd, average 20 mpg.. Hopefully it will get better...
  • papychunty -

With 145,000+ miles now on the odo, I am still getting the same fuel economy numbers I got once the driveline was fully broken in at around 20k miles. I have kept track of the mileage of every tank of gas since new, and the long-term average since new is about 18.7 MPG, on a 4WD version with the lower-than-standard (4.30:1) rear axle ratio that comes only with electric locking differential.The worst mileage i ever obtained was 15.78 mpg, and the best was 24.28 mpg. Tires are stock size 265-70R16, fairly hard at 35 PSI. So far, the only "failures" have been the plastic gear rack in the automatic antenna ($28 part cost + 1/2 hr to install), the HVAC blower resistor ($22 + 10 minutes to install), and 4 or 5 tail-light bulbs. Truly the best vehicle I've ever owned. Completely leak-free and uses zero oil (Mobil 1 10W-30) between 6K mile oil changes. The 2003 Gen-4 is a completely different vehicle from end to end. For 4WD use, I'd prefer a pristine, well-cared-for 1999 or 2000 Gen-3, before the electronic traction control system was introduced in 2001. The 3.4L V6 is looking to become another example of extraordinary Toyota engine reliability, with many examples going more than 300K miles without major service. I'm not sure how the long-term reliability of the later 4.0L V6 compares with the 3.4L engine. Regarding the 2003 model, as a general rule I'd never buy the first model year of a new model, even with a Toyota. There will always weaknesses uncovered that are corrected in the first two years of production, as well as detail improvements.
  • g0lferg0lfer Posts: 14
    I live in Colorado and have a 2009 V8 4wd. I have two questions on saving gas:
    1. Being at 5500ft elevation, is it ok to use 85 octane gas and will I get similar gas mileage/performance?
    2. Will shifting into neutral while coasting down hills then back into drive at about 40 mph harm the transmission over time?
    Thanks in advance. I realize this may been addressed in other posts but I could not find it.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,011
    edited March 2010
    85 should be fine at your elevation.

Shifting to neutral going downhill will burn more gas than leaving it in gear (not to mention that it can be dangerous and is illegal in most states).

Counterintuitive, but if you leave it in gear and take your foot off the gas, the fuel will shut off and the turning of the wheels will keep the engine running. If you put it in neutral, the fuel won't shut off and you'll waste gas keeping the engine idling.

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• g0lferg0lfer Posts: 14
    I appreciate the reply. Counterintuitive is right. Especially when you see the RPMs drop quickly and are less than when in gear.
    Would you address the potential engine damage question? Thanks.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,011
    edited March 2010
    People in the mountains have been running 85 instead of 87 octane for decades without issues, so I don't know why your 4Runner couldn't manage. The gas cap says to use regular unleaded I assume? The engine controls will compensate.

There may be a blurb about it in your manual too.

If premium is recommended you may get better mileage with a higher octane, but not if the engine is tuned for regular.

Hopefully an owner will pop in here with the real scoop before I stick my foot too far into it. ;)

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• kingfans1kingfans1 Posts: 137
    It is depend on the brand of the gas.. if you are using 85, make sure it is from top tier gas retailers.

from my experience, when I coasting down hills from 8000 ft - 4500 ft ), I shift it to 3rd gear. ( so thats way I don't use my brake).
  • blackdog4blackdog4 Posts: 67
    Concerning braking with the engine, I have always been told that it is easier to replace brake pads than transmissions. Has the thinking changed about this?