Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Heating / Cooling Problems

Comments

• zeuswonzeuswon Posts: 10
    Complaint number 10205290
    Ok, paid $99.95 to get car back and they told me what I already knew except that it's not the windshield but the Cowl Panel that leaks. IE; TSB 04-15-3

So here's the estimate:

Blower motor $108.44
    Blower resistor $ 25.40
    Cowl Panel $ 43.78

Total Parts $177.62
    Labor 1.5 TT- 2.5 $141.95
    Diagnosis 1 time $ 99.95 (Paid today to get documentation)
    -------
    $419.52

Ford 10% Off -$ 41.95
    We pay $377.57 + Taxes (Unhappy Camper)

Ford 80% Off -$335.61
    We pay $ 83.81 + Taxes (Satisfied Customer)

Feeling pretty raw about now.

I asked for a Customer Service Supervisor to call me, said they would within 48 hours, we will see. They "Will Not Give Out Zone Mgrs telephone number!"
  • I'm glad you fought it. I paid 75.20 ( my 20% of the mess)keep your receipts just in case of a future recall. ( I know I'm dreaming).
    oksweet, do you mind telling us the condition of your vehicle, ie;
    Year
    Make
    Model
    Warranty
    Extended Warranty
    When you first reported problem to Ford
    ?

Thanks!
  • 2003 Ford Taurus SES- 35000 miles- I reported the problem after I seen my glove compartment leaking water Memorial Day of this year. ( 07) The car was waiting on the Ford place to look at it. Jeff called me & told me it be 375.00 to fix it. I thought about it & called FMC & I told her it was leaking & the Rep put me on hold & came back a few minutes later & said " Jeff would take care of me when I picked up the car". I thought it be FREE but I paid 75.20 to drive my car out of the shop! I wasn't too happy because I knew this was a factory defect & should be on a recall & I had already knew what the problem was because I googled the car's problem only to know I was not alone. I told FMC my warranty on the car should have took care of it.( because I bought the leak & they knew it). I bought the car with the factory warranty & bought extended warranty. But because I did not report this leak till the factory warranty ceased it was not honored. I called my extended warranty & they said " because of the water damage ,they would not honor my warranty". My insurance had a 500.00 deductible so I called FMC. man,I was livid!
    Thanks! You got luckier than we did.
  • I have used all the advice that I have seen on this site, but Ford denies they have paid any amount to cover the expense to repair the fan motor. In my case, the dealer wants $585. Do you have any receipts that show that Ford you 80% for this repair? John palmy@umich.edu
  • I have used all the advice that I have seen on this site, but Ford denies they have paid any amount to cover the expense to repair the fan motor. In my case, the dealer wants $585. Do you have any receipts that show that Ford paid you 80% for this repair? palmy@umich.edu
  • We just went through the gauntlet over this, final bill to fix was paid completely by us.
    Ford $99.95 diagnostics. Another Ford dealer repaired it for $389.00 for a total of over $490.00 bucks not including the $40 I spent on a used blower from the junk yard. They contend it's not a safety issue but let them drive a car with fogged up windows.
    I guess if we had an accident and the lawsuit forced them to recognize the problem we could get satisfaction. This needs a class action attorney to file in court for us to get our money back. Not to mention it will be the last Ford this family purchases.

If you need details of the invoice to lower your repair charges let me know! The above quote was wrong.
  • I can look it up.
  • I bought a 2007 Taurus a few months ago and just had the water leak problem. After a long rainy day, the passenger floor had about a half inch of water on it. I remembered this leak item when checking the internet and knew I now had the problem. I took it to a local Ford dealer that was aware of the problem and they said they would fix it and later told me the car was fixed. My wife picked up the car and got no paperwork on the repair-no repair order, warranty paperwork, what was done-nothing to even indicate the car had been there. This was under factory warranty. The dealer left me with a soaked carpet-it had never been dried out-descented or anything so now I guess we get the mold and a rusted floor pan. Our climate is not going to dry the carpet until summertime. Is this typical for anyone else under the factory warranty?

When I mentioned this to a friend with an older Taurus, she said the same thing just happened to her Taurus, but it has been back to the dealer three times and not fixed yet. Very irritating.
  • I can not believe FMC has not fixed this leak problem with the Taurus by now!! I have a 03 & FMC fixed mine & so far it doesn't leak. I would take that brand new ford of yours & tell the people who fixed the car to make it right ,in fact, I would demand it. FMC knows of this problem ,it's been a ongoing problem for years.
  • I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. I have a problem with the heater core I heard nightmares on replaceing the heater core , is there any body that could help me out on how to replace and locating the heater core,

I have heard that in order to replace the heater core you have to take down the dash board. But i really dont know were is it at. I try finding any topics dealing with my situation but since im new at this forum. i dont know from were to start.

I would apreciate and thank , any body that would help me out.

some effects i get from this problem is that my windshild gets foggy alot and fog from the vents come out. theres a leak i have under the car some were in the passenger side

they had told me . that this is due to a leak on the heater core and or i have to replace some of the hoses or the heater core it self..

ANY ONE COULD HELP
  • I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. I have a problem with the heater core I heard nightmares on replaceing the heater core , is there any body that could help me out on how to replace and locating the heater core,

I have heard that in order to replace the heater core you have to take down the dash board. But i really dont know were is it at. I try finding any topics dealing with my situation but since im new at this forum. i dont know from were to start.

I would apreciate and thank , any body that would help me out.

some effects i get from this problem is that my windshild gets foggy alot and fog from the vents come out. theres a leak i have under the car some were in the passenger side

they had told me . that this is due to a leak on the heater core and or i have to replace some of the hoses or the heater core it self..

ANY ONE COULD HELP
  • Please read the above posts. It's probably not the heater core just the cowling under the windshield wiper.
  • If you have a leak in the heater core, I would think that your coolant level would be going down. Also, you would smell the coolant-antifreeze inside the car. It might even be on your carpet. When your windshield fogs over, you would find it more difficult to clean the fog off the windshield. If you look under the hood, you will see two hoses attached to the firewall. Those hoses are the inlet and outlet to the heater core which is actually inside the car underneath the dash, and inside the heat ducts. It is not an easy job and actually some of the nuts holding everything may actually be on the engine side of the firewall..

I have a 1999 Taurus which has never had the well known cowl leak and which still has the original heater core. I have a 2007 Taurus which just had the passenger side leak and is just disgusting to me that Ford used the same old parts or else they used up old parts because they discontinued the old model Taurus. They do not give you any documentation on the leak repair under warranty probably to protect themselves.
  • 1997 Ford Taurus "G" 100,000 miles. When turn on heat, get a "bumping" sound in the dashboard and no heat comes out. Last year I would get lukewarm heat out of it and the "bumping" sound. I can eliminate the noise by turning temp control to about mid point in heat mode or a/c mode. A/C works good. But now I need heat. :cry:
  • I have a 2001 Sable that has experienced the same problem. I paid the dealer over $600 to replace the blend door and control module once and the problem came back.
    Here's what I found. Disconnect the negative battery terminal for two or three minutes and re-connect. Then try your AC system again. It has worked for me twice now. Good Luck.
  • I can only get cold air when the heat is on. I can hear the bumping noise in the dash. It was fairly warm but is now cold. I am thinking I need to work on the actuator and shut that door for a quick fix. Where is it located?
  • My '01 Sable has done the same thing. The sensor is on the bottom of the reservoir, which is mounted on the passenger side firewall. There are two nuts to remove to access the sensor. It takes about 5 minutes and the sensor can be bought on eBay for under $20, or you can get it at the dealer for a bit more. I did a temporary fix on mine by just unplugging the sensor connector under the reservoir as the light was annoying.
  • On my 97 Taurus, the AC selector switch for heat control has a problem. Everything is fine, but when turned too 100% heat it starts blowing cold air? But when moved back up like a quater of an inch it starts too operate correctly and blow heat. Has anyone come across this problem, and if so what is it. And if not, where do you think the problem is routed? The switch assembly, which I dont know too be electric of vacume? Or in the operation of the blend door? Or maby even the Heater Core? Any input is appriciated.
  • ezrydaezryda Posts: 1
    HHHHmmmmm seems to me that I've got some issues to come looking at this forum but although my problem is a water leak form the heater core I do not have any water in the pax footwell (yet!). My leak is from a plastic oblong protrusion stcking out of the firewall toward the engine and I am getting the obligatory coolant smell inside the vehicle but I don't seem to be loosing water although the coolant is a brown muddy color. Anybody got any ideas on what this plastic part is and is this anything to worry about. :confuse:
  • I just bought a 93 Mercury Sable 3.8L sedan. My concern is the average running temperature. When running on a cool day the temp guage needle sits in the center ( 1/2 up between the "R" and the "M" on the "normal" label) but on warmer days when running the a/c the temp guage looks a little high... about 3/4 of the way up (right below the "N" on the "normal" label). I know these cars tend to run a lil hot, but is this too hot and a reason for concern?
  • DISREGARD THIS MESSAGE. i SOLVED THE PROBLEM.

Symptoms as follows:
    Car dies not have climate control.
    Engine thermostat is functioning properly.
    Coolant level good.
    After engine is fully warmed up, turning on the heater only yields about 15 seconds of proper function with hot air blowing strong. After that, the air flow slightly decreases and the air blows cold.
    Analysis:
    Blend actuator door is closing due to a faulty signal from the temperature controller or the blend actuator door is broken.
    Please advise or comment.

Thanks to all in advance,

Jakec
  • The engine will heat when hot ambient and running a/c. The cooling system electric fan should kick in when significantly above normal running temp. You can watch the coolant temp drop significantly when it runs or pull over, open the hood and see if the electric fan is running. The 3.8 is subject to head gasket failures. Neighbors 95 Sable with less than 30k had one recently. Get a coolant system service.
  • To begin with, I bought my Sable over the summer, used, from a private person (as opposed to a dealer). The air conditioner worked perfectly, and since it was summer I stupidly never checked to see if I had heat. Well, I didn't have heat when the cold weather came about. I took the car into a mechanic who scared the hell out of me with insane prices but told me nothing. He charged me $73 and didn't even have a diagnosis for me. He kept telling me that I needed to come up with $3000 just to find out what the problem was. Anyways, I took the car home, put blankets in the car, and started checking with friends to see if anyone could help me with the heating problem for the cost of parts and a home cooked meal.

Well, a friend was due to look at my car on Sunday. On Friday night, my husband and I are driving home when suddenly the car just stalls while being driven with tons of steam coming out from under the hood. The temperature gauge on the dash was in the green and in the middle between hot and cold. The car would not restart. We wait at the side of the road for it to cool just enough to limp the car into the parking lot that had a street light in it (we didn't have a flashlight). This parking lot was less than 100 feet from where it stalled.

Well, we couldn't help but notice that all of the car's coolant was on the ground underneath the car. We purchased more coolant, poured it in, turned on the car so that the coolant could circulate, but the car immediately dumped all the coolant on the ground. The car has enough oil, so there isn't a problem there.

One, what could possibly cause this problem?

Two, would the engine be damaged since, obviously, the engine temperature gauge isn't working and I don't know how long it was overheating before it stalled? (it was very late at night and to be honest, I was just barely staying awake at the wheel)
  • rmessrmess Posts: 3
    It sounds like a bad heater core, probably rusted. When coolant leaks out from underneath the car usually at the firewall is is the heater core. Check to see if you have coolant inside on the floor near the fan outlets..........hope it helps.........