Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taurus/Sable Heating / Cooling Problems

1235»

Comments

• there is a part called a blend door acctuator! if you turn you heat from cool to heat while looking on the passenger side floor board directly under the radio you should see a sping assembly moving! if not than that part is bad!
  • I have the same problem what did you find ot
  • Check engine light won't go out ..
  • Hi. Have you found the drain plug on your car yet? I was told I would have to tare the hole front of my car to get to it :cry:. So I just removed the bottom hose from the water pump. I hope this helps?
  • While replacing my heater core I noticed that the blend door does not close fully. With the core out I can see that the blend door moves freely, but seems to bump into something when it is about 75% closed. I felt around in there Reaching through where the heater core goes in, but I cannot feel anything that is blocking its path. Even when it is at that point it still seems like it is not touching anything inside and is not contacting anything inside. But something seems to be blocking its path. I attached the motor that moves it, and it strains to try to move it beyond that point. Is that the normal end point? Or do I need to do something to allow it to move past that point? I am concerned that the way it is I will never get fully cold air when I need it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • This is a common problem with the Taurus/Sable. The heater core in these cars are a resevoir type. This means that instead of having a tube that water flows from the inlet to the outlet through, it's more like a radiator and has an open cavity that fills up. Sediment builds up in the heater core plugging it from the bottom and eventually all that is left is a gap at the top just big enough for water to flow through to come out of the outlet. This means the hot water is not warming up the the entire heater core, just the very very top. I sudgest replacing the heater core. If you can do it youself it should only take a couple hours and cost about $60-$80 or so. But if you have to take it to a shop, it will run you about $600-$800. It's not an incredibly hard job, but the dashboard does need to be taken out to get to the heater core (hence the high cost for a shop to do it.) Hope this helps answer your question.
  • sunray7sunray7 Posts: 2
    edited February 2012
    Actually, after two years with no heat, without my mechanic able to fix it, I bit the bullet and brought it to a Ford dealer. Guess what he discovered. My mechanic had replaced the thermostat and put it in backwards. So, since he had already replaced the thermostat he had looked for other problems and didn't re-check the thermostat. I should give him the bill the Ford dealer charged me. For replacing the thermostat and flushing the antifreeze labor only $185.. My mechanic for the exact same thing charge labor of just $40.00 (but of course he put it in backwards). Anyway, we have heat - does sort of take forever to heat up, like it used to (I'm used to my Buick which heats up right away). So there possibly could be a core problem. But we can live with it the way it is now.
  • bubbly1987bubbly1987 Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    I have a 1996 mercury sable ls dohc, the heater core, water pump, and a millions of other things have been replace on this car. Recently my car is not holding coolant what so ever. Idk what to do. Any suggestions on what it could be? Since I have had almost everything replace im lost on words what to do. But the car is running fine just loosing coolant/water.
  • Recently had the AC compressor making noise, put the AC on, but noise still there, now it looks like the compressor clutch is loose inside. I'll probably replace it in the future, but for now I am not getting any heat. It there something linking the AC to the heater, maybe electrical stuck in some kind of loop. Any suggestions?
1235»