Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    since genesis does not fall into large sedan, but most likely will be Hyundai's entry into midsize luxury market what will be the name Hyundai chooses. IF follow its past and copy Honda into Hyundai, then Acura into Acuyrai.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Why wouldn't the Genesis fall into the large sedan category when it will be larger than the Azera???
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 2451
    If the Azera is classified as a large car, certainly the Genesis should carry the same classification.
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 971
    Is there an article stating how big the passenger and cargo compartments will be in a Genesis?
    Can you post a link to it?
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Sorry, only thing I have to go on is the word of the Hyundai guy I talk to...who is very reliable with his info I might add. Everything he told me about the Azera before it even showed up, he was right on the money. He also told me about the Veracruz and more recently the Genesis.

He has said the exterior dimensions are a couple inches longer than the Azera, maybe just as wide. At the least, I would expect the interior space to be very, very close to what the Azera has. Heck, the Sonata is knocking on the door of the large sedan category to be honest.

Azera Specs
    Genesis Specs

Azera / Genesis
    Wheelbase - 109.4" / 115.6"
    Length - 192.7" / 197.0"
    Width - 72.8" / 73.3"
    Height - 58.7" / 58.7"

The numbers on the Genesis are VERY close to the numbers on the BMW 7 Series.

7-Series Specs
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    BH certainly falls into large sedan category in classfication. It's a 7er in size, 5er as the competing class, and sub 3er in price - trifecta :)
    Cheap Man's Bimmer? Sorry, this doesn't work. BMW- big money works. Hyundai not known to people buying cars priced @ $50k+. If it makes you happy that you bought this imitation, good luck. But in no way this car will match BMW in performance and balance. If Hyundai creates luxury marquee and spends 10+ years perfecting it, people buying luxury sedans will think twice as they do now with Lexus. BTW Lexus now has $100k+ car and same thing will eventually happen to Hyundai if it launches luxury car. History is repeating itself. Initially cheap, efficient Japanese cars grew to become large and expensive luxury cars. Same history will be with Hyundai, cheap, not really efficient cars will grow in size and price.
    But in no way this car will match BMW in performance and balance.

I never said it will, or will not. The judgment should be reserved until at least the car is released. Everything I said were true (starting at sub-30K, rival 7er in size, and compete with luxury midsize vehicles). You're reading (way) too much into what I said. Thanks for the lecture, though.
    Well not according to allmet. I said same thing to him about genesis some time ago. He insists that we need to discuss this car in this forum, though its not on market yet.
    BTW Rolex and Rolexx are not the same watch. It looks like you are getting a deal, but in reality you will miss in details.
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    I'd like to point out that my Rolex keeps lousy time. It's not nearly as accurate as my Seiko. IMHO, the purpose of a watch is to keep accurate time, everything else is just window dressing.
    Exactly why couldn't we discussing an upcoming car here? It fits within the criteria of the topic.

Glad to hear you are writing off the car already before it even appears on the market. Bottom line, I am not going to speculate anything until I have had a chance to drive the car at least. Again, no one is saying a Hyundai is a BMW so please save the Rolex comparison. Everything I said was true, including the trifecta quote, which was just a light-hearted comment. You're making this something out of nothing...

Anyway, my first impression of the BH, upclose and in person - nothing short of fantastic!! Look forward to seeing this car.

PS: Rolex doesn't do a thing for me. Seikos are better IMHO :)
    Nissan Maxima will have its redesign in 2008-2009. should I discuss its design and features here?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    We can discuss any car that fits the subject whether it's current or future. Anyone not interested in discussing any particular car doesn't have to. :)
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    Re: 2457 "starting at sub-30K, rival 7er in size, and compete with luxury midsize vehicles)".

I agree with joe97, priced below a 3-series to compete with the 5-series with the near size of the 7-series. A good way to market Genesis, and Hyundai can pull it off in terms of building, pricing and launching. Trouble is, if Hyundai doesn't do something quick about their lousey dealer / service department network, Genesis is doomed.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Amazing what cache does. BMW stands for Bavarian Motor Works. It's Ford Motor Company written in German. Just like Mercedes Benz is General Motors written in German. The 3-series is an overpriced Chevrolet. The 5-series an overpriced Buick. Etc. Taxi's don't use them in Germany because they're too small, not because they're expensive luxury cars. Taxi's do use Mercedes, though. Load them up with leather and do-dads, over price them, and America thinks they're something special. Wasn't it WCFields who said there's a sucker born every minute. A lot of them appear to be buying German cars.....
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 971
    I've always enjoyed excellent service at the Hyundai dealership. Better than any other I've been to.
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    RE: 2465
    Stick with your dealership. All of the ones I have seen are nasty and under staffed. The service writers are nice but not at all knowledgeable about the cars.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    "Load them up with leather and do-dads, over price them, and America thinks they're something special"

Is this any different than the American or Japanese auto makers? There are many 40K + vehicles that have their roots in 20K entry level vehicles.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Just because your jalupa is cheap doesn't make it better. My car with less displacement and power still beats Azera 0-60, 1/4 mile, handling, etc.It also has a far superior engine compared to Azera. This car usually doesn't cost much more new (though I bought mine cheaper) then loaded Azera. It has all optional/available features needed to compete in this class. Where is optional navigation in Azera even though it's an optional feature in cheapest Mitsubishi?
    Now this is the response i received in the past - Azera has 10/100 warranty ( not fully transferable), more interior space ( how much of it is useful?)and cheap ( well this is the only thing I won't argue with)
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    Re 2468: Wow!!...prey tell what wonder car you have. We are on the edge of our leather bucket seats with contrast hand stitching.