Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    Hey Cap, you know I love the Avalons second best -- great car ($ for $). just wondering, can you turn the vehicle skid control/traction control completely off in the Avalons?? I got tar on my tires last night and then was on some small gravel -- sounded like I was being sandblasted from below (and I was). Anyway, I stopped turned off the ESC (on Hyundai that's what they call it) and basically did a burnout to get the damn stuff off the tires. I found out you can smoke the front tires without too much trouble, didn't realize that until the ESC was off. Just curious about the Avalon (or OTHER MAINSTREAM LARGE SEDANS lol)?
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Well...you did say new Hyundai SUV and the only new one they have is the Veracruz. The Santa Fe is just redesigned (thank goodness).

People who by BMW's want performance and that's exactly what BMW offers. It has nothing to do with being mature because if you recall your poll of the average age of Azera owners...there were a lot of mature folks buying Azeras.

Glad to hear your Max is proving to be the reliable daily driver you need it to be. With about 37K miles on my Azera, it has proven be very reliable as well.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the straight answer to your questions are yes and no. Yes my Av will 'burn some rubber' in the unlikely event that anybody would have any cause to, and my particular Avalon is thankfully not equipped with VSC/ESC/Trac. The Avalon's system for those that paid for it(as well as other Toyota/Lexus) products can be disabled but only thru the most convoluted sequence of brake and parking brake applications known to mankind. In effect then it is NOT user switchable, a function that I guess is good to have on the Hyundai products but honestly of negligible value (if you think about it) simply because it automatically rearms itself every time you start the car.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I did mean the Taurus. I was rambling a bit...

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

The TRAC/VSC system in the Avalon is not that invasive. It will allow a little wheel spin. This is so much better than previous Toyotas. My '00 Solara would kick in at the slightest spin and cut power to the engine, if you needed to make a fast turn you would have to switch it off. But, at least it had a switch.

"can be disabled but only thru the most convoluted sequence of brake and parking brake applications known to mankind"

Couldn't have said that better myself, I actually keep a copy of the instructions, in the unlikely event that I have to shut it off if I get stuck in the snow.

What Motor Trend had to say about the Santa Fe....

"Another leap for Hyundai in quality and design--does just about everything well."

Motor Trend Santa Fe Article
    Glad to hear the the Av system is not that invasive which to me is a little strange given the age demographic of the Avalon driver in general. But this is good as it is damn near impossible to find any new Av without VSC/Trac anyway and I'm guessing that it will become standard in 08. Helps me with what now ought to be a easy decision when I look to replace the one I have :D
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    The Santa Fe is considered a mainstream sedan these days? Well, that's what all this crossover stuff'll do for ya, I reckon..;)
    I would think that if my Solara with the 200HP 3.0 easily made the TC kick in, someone at Yota must have figured it would have been way too sensitive for something with 70 more HP. My '03 Avalon didn't have it, funny thing I never missed it.

Toyota/Lexus have always seemed to take a more aggressive approach to protecting us from ourselves as well as paying the most heed to their own liability lawyers. It is a shame that it has to come to all of this and even worse that our silly government gets involved. Put me on snow covered roads and I'd rather be driving your 03 with no interference than either your current Av or certainly that Solara.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Yes, the Taurus. Having just rented a 500 for a business trip, I can say it succeeds in a lot of categories but one of them is not speed. Not sure a bigger engine will help that much if they don't fix the transmission. On that car when you kicked it down, you could go out for coffee before it decided to downshift...and then all you heard was noise, not much acceleration. And on a 600 mile trip I only averaged 28.5 mpg. Did the same trip last Oct in my 300C and averaged 26 mpg.
  • Luckily there's a new 6 speed transmission to go along with that great new 3.5 engine. I test drove the new Taurus, drives like a dream.
    was aware that Ford had discontinued the CVT on the new Taurus but never read anything that said they were changing the 6 speed tranny. I did read somewhere that Ford and GM had pooled resources (or the lack of them) into a 'joint'effort at a 6 speed. Maybe what you experienced on your test drive was the same 6 speed used with the GM 3.6 for some time now? Does anybody know? Would be interested on your comments on how refined (smoothness, quietness, eagerness to rev) you found the 3.5?
  • I'm on the run right now, but for a brief description on one of my many test drives so far, go here - LINK
    From what I have read the 6 speed is the one you are referring to, its being used in the Edge, MKX, and Taurus/Sable on the GM side it is being used in the Acadia triplets and the 3.6 Aura.

• barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    Having just rented a 500 for a business trip, I can say it succeeds in a lot of categories but one of them is not speed. Not sure a bigger engine will help that much if they don't fix the transmission. On that car when you kicked it down, you could go out for coffee before it decided to downshift

Shoulda rented one with the AWD (which means it would've had the CVT) . . then you wouldn't have experienced that problem. :P
  • alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    well there is always a time and place to improve and currently there are 2 cars in 08 I am looking forward to.
    I know that Hyundai lovers will be talking about Genesis, but this not the car I am looking forward to currently.
    2008 CTS AWD with new 3.6
    2008 G8 with v8 - which falls into large category with length of 196". The competition between Hemi and GM 6.0 V8 is heating up. In Holden it does 0-60 in 5.7. US version with all extra weight will be probably 5.8-5.9. Can you handle Hopefully price will be 25-35K.

BTW in reference to 3.7 in Maxima, look at history of nissan and infinity and you can see that once new engine is introduced for Infinity usually next year Nissan vehicles get same engine. 370Z is obviously first, followed by Maxima and Altima. One thing I cannot find info about anywhere is whether it will be in a current form or will be in the next generation Maxima. Looking into Maxima's history -3 yr and redesign, then 2 yrs. So we can say that 09 maxima will come in at the end of 08.
    And yet the Santa Fe finishes 2nd to the Nissan Murano! I've been in a Santa Fe and they are right, the woodgrain leaves a lot to be desired. They hit the nail on the head by saying it looks like the graining was drawn on with a Sharpie pen. But pointing out that small negative point belies the overall view of the vehicle and obviously doesn't stop it from being an all around good mid-size SUV.

Funny how folks read an entire article and will pull one negative thing out and automatically...it's a bad vehicle! LOL

Oh yeah, Alexstore...I've been paying attention to the Maximas I've been seeing here in the DC Metro area since our discussions started. One thing I've noticed...a vast majority of them are being driven by women now. Seems the guys are abandoning them and jumping into the new Altimas with a bit more power. Why not, almost the same room, more engine and fully loaded comes in around what a Maxima would run anyway. Yeah...I'd go for the Altima too.