Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    Again, a good car with stupid commercials from Hyundai.

What's new?
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Again, a good car with stupid commercials from Hyundai.

What's new?

Wouldn't expect anything less...

Anyway, both ads are subtle, yet has the confident tone delivering the right message for the product. I especially like when Jeff Bridges says "right about now, you are probably expecting some big twists or something, well, here it is (cues the Hyundai logo). Get it? Get the twist?

From a marketing standpoint (and of course product), the substance is there and those ads get the mark.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    and that wouldn't be an attempt by Hyundai to get their brand thought of by those same people that might consider those brands 'that won't like it'?
    This is exactly what I've been saying all along and is a ridiculous assumption on Hyundai's part. Those S and C class buyer, those 3 and 7 series buyers couldn't' give damn about something with a Hyundai badge - even if it is what Hyundai would like it to be. I've said before that it won't be able to sell this way, and Hyundai is seriously overestimating their public perceptions. It is still a 'Korean' car and that is not a good thing to be. I guess we'll see - those (2) 30 second ads likely set them back a few million - hope it sells enough cars to pay for it.
  • There will be people that laugh at the commercial and call it ridiculous. There will also be people that see it as a bold move, and they will actually think about it.

It is still a 'Korean' car and that is not a good thing to be.

Not everyone shares that opinion. How about all the Hyundai owners who took a chance and bought a Hyundai at some point over past 10 years? I don't regret it one bit, and I know I'm not alone.

There's no need to constantly preach negativity about something, unless one wants that "something" to fail.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    There's no need to constantly preach negativity about something, unless one wants that "something" to fail.

It's called reality check.
  • Thanks, but the "reality check" (or opinion) isn't necessary. Here's my reality: I have an '01 Hyundai with over 160K miles that has never given me any problems. I've thought about getting a new car for months, but my car still runs so well it's hard to justify spending the money.

When I do get a new car, I'll save thousands of dollars, again, by getting another Hyundai that I'll keep another 8+ years. Thank you very much.
    I understand the conversation from cap...it's my conversation also. (I thought this was an open forum, all opinions are welcome, even unfavorable ones :) ) It has nothing to do with the 'H' on the hood, it has to do with the distrust for the overall vehicle lineup and some of the issues people I know have had with these cars. If you read these forums, Hyundai is not the only manufacturer (read: other countries) with people distrusting the lineup.

The fact you believe you save money when you get your next car is as valid an opinion as someone who doesn't get a Hyundai and their belief is the money is well spent and they got what they paid for.

I have experience with high age, high mileage cars, and it's not pretty. I've driven in "like new" cars with a lot of mileage and was glad to escape with my life.
  • those (2) 30 second ads likely set them back a few million

I just saw a news article that a 30 second ad in the game goes for $2.7 million. :cry:

I also read an article today that Fox is completely sold out of ads for the Superbowl and pre-game and that they are pulling in somewhere around $260 million! :surprise:
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    Re 4836: Super Bowl videos

Video # 2, showing the logo H on the truck...big mistake and the kiss of death.
    You might want to look again. The disclaimer on the ads says Korean model shown.

"big mistake and the kiss of death" - right :sick:
    why must a simple comment alluding to what is generally true - the autobuyer's distrust or attitude about Korean cars - in general - be taken so personally. Heck I don't believe that 'Korean cars are crap' myself - but I guarantee you if that if you poll (it is the season for that ;) ) any random sampling of automobile owners and ask them in a simple one word association test : Hyundai (if they've heard of it) = cheap and words like Toyota and Honda = good. Didn't say it was fair or that it even had any current factual basis either.
    Did say that Hyundai does have a checkered past, however, and don't believe that can really be argued. Therein is the problem - people have long memories. Any company that happens to have a Korean name should be having trouble selling $40k automobiles (isn't this the reason for the Azera's slow sales @$30k stickers?) and especially when they have the 'Chutzpah' to be comparing that car to cars that have long been the best you can buy and do happen to cost twice or three times as much. Tell the world that the Genesis is a 'better' car or a 'better' value than a G8 or a 300 or even a Nissan/Toyota and maybe people listen. Putting it on the level as what these ads attempt to do is laughable, is too big a step up IMO - even if it proves to have some foundation.
    And BTW as Hyundai, in this case, can start to accumulate more owners like you that have had good experiences then the faster this changes. In the immediate future, maybe those buyers of the 300 and G8s will 'discover' the Genesis and Hyundai will sell all they can make but there still won't be a whole lot of BMW/MB/Lexus/Infiniti owners (or shoppers) at Hyundai dealers.
    Please, enlighten us with your vision for the Genesis's Super Bowl ads. We'd better be more impressed than Hyundai's tagline - introducing the 375hp Genesis

Keep in mind, the general public is not as versed as we do in and about the automotive industry, so when they see the caliber of a car like the Genesis during the Super Bowl, they wouldn't expect it from Hyundai, and that's the "crazy big twist" referred to in the ad (which was very clever). It has to start somewhere, and for the Genesis, fittingly named also, is a new beginning to propel Hyundai in reach of new levels.
    it is after all, the 'unenlightened general public' that buys most of the cars - isn't it? In terms of what I think, which is certainly unimportant, I believe that Hyundai's best approach in any attempt to go 'upscale' (long term) would have been to establish another brand name and probably even a separate dealer network (if they intend on coming out with more Genesis type products) . If they simply would've called the Genesis something other than Hyundai but then followed the ad with a 'visit your local Hyundai dealer' - it might work a bit better but that is still not what has been proven to work in the past (Lexus/Infiniti) and may have been self-defeating because Hyundai dealers are not thought to be 'premium' dealers either.
    The car market is simply not ready to accept Hyundai as a 'premium' brand IMO and Hyundai does not have the same sort of market 'presence' as Toyota (or even Nissan) had back in the 80s which is why I believe that the Genesis will be a difficult 'sell'.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Captain...once again, you just fail to get it.

It is merely a reference used. Mercedes is one car company that is looked at as a top make in the industry and a lot of folks know about them. Almost everyone knows that the S-Class is the flagship and that they are sizable cars. They also know the C-Class is the entry level for Benz. So to say you can get a car with the size of an S-Class and only pay what you would for a C-Class...that's saying a lot.

Same thing using the 7 & 3-Series Beemers. It's merely a reference. Nobody is saying that potential Benz and Beemer buyers would give a damn. You my friend are looking and digging too deep in all this...seriously.
    I'm with cap on this. Maybe the commercials are off.
    OK, OK - these ads mean nothing and what they talk about is not what they are talking about :confuse:
    In any case, any successful effort that Hyundai might be able to make to improve its image is to the logical benefit of all Hyundai owners - if it works its called better resale values. Perhaps it should be you (somebody that invested in an Azera) that should be more interested in how these ads are perceived.
    Interestingly I went over to the 'Luxury Lounge' forum and did a search for anybody talking about the Genesis or Hyundai - 10000 posts and 0 matches. That, should tell you something.
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    Re 4848: You might want to look again. The disclaimer on the ads says Korean model shown.

So what's your point, that the US version won't have the H on the trunk?
  • Hyundai will have a challenge marketing the Genesis, even though I personally feel Hyundai's quality is far above that perceived by the average consumer. As one who's purchased European and Asian cars since 1968, and owned numerous new Hondas and Toyotas, I think I can judge quality when I see it.

When I bought the first Honda 600 sedan sold east of the Mississippi, people thought I was absolutely and certifiably crazy. "Why would you buy such a piece of ****," they asked. My, how times have changed haven't they, where practically anything of Japanese manufacture is considered high quality. I knew that I had bought a decent vehicle at a great price, and could have cared less what people thought. The same was true a few years later I purchased a Civic CVCC. Great quality, and a low price.

Circa 2008, it's deja vu "all over again." Those who can see beyond image and perception, and Japanese vehicles' historical reliability record know they're getting a quality product at a very reasonable price with Hyundai, just as Honda and Toyota previously. Forget about the Excel, those days are in the far distant past both literally and figuratively in terms of build quality.

How many posters on this forum, or any Edmunds.com forum, consistently, and somewhat arrogantly, dismiss any and every Hyundai product as a sub-par product actually have owned one? And, more importantly from an objective comparative analysis point-of-view, how many negative Hyundai posters concurrently own a Hyundai, and any Japanese product? Our family owns a Honda, Hyundai, and a Toyota - all late models (Accord, Elantra, and Camry) respectively. The Hyundai has required fewer trips to the dealership for warranty issues than either the Honda or Toyota. And, moreover, the exterior seam and panel matching, and interior workmanship, is as good or better than either the Honda or Toyota.

For those who buy a Hyundai today, they're getting an excellent product at a below market level price. If you keep a vehicle for 10 to 15 years, the depreciation argument become less of a factor. As Hyundai's marketing says "Think About It." For example, think about all of the Honda automatic transmission problems posted on Edmunds.com, and compare those numbers with automatic transmission problems in Hyundai's. Although many have experienced transmission problems with their Honda's, including my brother with his Ody at less than 50K miles, it's most interesting that Honda owner's don't seem to complain. On the other hand, if a Hyundai experiences a transmission problem at any mileage level, everyone's ready to say "I told you not to buy a Korean piece of ****!"

I, for one, hope the mass market continues to view Hyundai as a sub-par product. It just means that I can continue to buy an excellent and high-quality product at far less than I would have to pay for a comparable Japanese brand.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    PREACH!!! Can I get an AMEN from the congregation!!!
    I personally feel Hyundai's quality is far above that perceived by the average consumer
    and you might be right on both counts - which is the problem relative to Hyundai trying to sell a $40k 'luxury' car.
  • vic10vic10 Posts: 188
    Have to agree with all you pronouncements. I think the biggest market for the Genesis is going to be people looking at Azeras. Maybe a few Avalon or Buick shoppers. Comparisons to BMW and MB are cute but hardly have an impact on those buyers. They really might be better off saying it's a better Avalon.

May be a great car but to call it a luxury car forgets that luxury is as much a subjective image as it is the objective part of how many goodies you get. I'd liken it to gem stones. Garnets and Tourmalines are every bit as lovely as Rubies and Sapphires. But bet you'd get a bigger, ah, kiss from the misses if you gave her a Ruby necklace instead of a Garnet one. It's all perception, or if you wish, image....
  • Kriter, I'm glad of your good experience. Mine is the opposite- a new Elantra with 18k miles on it is undriveable, and Hyundai will not honor America's Best Warranty. Details do not belong here, but just wanted to declare in the interest of impartiality that I'll not spend another cent on a Hyundai ever again, will go back to Japanese, and you're welcome.
  • hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    I'm sure everyone has had a bad experience with a car. I had a bad problem with a Toyota Solara and had to take them to arbitration. They lost and HAD to take care of the problems. That was the last Toyota I'll own..... Yes they make good cars BUT
    when you deal with factory staff with their car problems thinks change...............
    Since then I have purchased 04 XG350L and now have an AZERA both have been
    great cars
  • Thats a bummer what happened with your Elantra. Since you left out all the details, I'm curious to know what happened after just 18K miles that wasn't covered under warranty -- especially since it's severe enough to leave the car undrivable. Realize, there are also some owners of Japanese cars that have had serious mechanical problems in the first year of ownership, as well as poor dealership experiences in trying to fix the problem and getting nowhere. If you ever have that kind of experience with a Japanese brand, will you swear off that brand as well?
    will you swear off that brand as well?

Honda and Toyota sell how many more cars in the US than Hyundai. There is no one manufacturer that is immune to issues. However, there are some that seem to have more than their fair share.
  • Recently bought a Merc.Montego 2005 Premier,great car,lost my 97 Grand Marquis to a red light runner on xmas eve 07 and need a car quick,lots of goodies,only draebacks are its made of Onionskin,lean on the hood and you'll almost cause a dent,factory tires Continentals are junk and rides like a truck/w only 18k miles there all cracked on the sidewalls but alot of meat left,the rear brakes make such a mess of the rims and heard of a Class Action Suit,willpersue it on the brakes. The interior has alot more room than the G.Marquis and trunk 1.5sqft larger(deeper,runs to the back seat)great MPG aver.25-26mpg w/combined drive steering is a bit awkward but seating is high and firm,just what I want with a bad back,bad ctr. glove door,has a bubble but paid 12,900 for it off lease,great deal w/ fact warranty till 36k.
  • This may be off topic a little compared to recent posts, but in my current new car search, I've test driven 20 models of cars/crossovers/mini-vans. In case anyone is interested below are my top 5:
    1. Maxima SL
    2. Charger R/T AWD
    3. Accord EX-L V6
    4. Camry XLE V6
    5. Edge SEL (vista roof a must!)

In no particular order, here are the rest: Avalon, Altima, Infiniti G35 (used), Malibu, Impala, Outlook, Enclave, Acadia, Prius, Highlander, Taurus (Five Hundred), Lucerne, 300, Town & Country, and a CR-V.
    pronoucements?!
    Sorry if I come off like that, but I will admit that any statement by anybody selling anything that likens it to the best available means that that somebody doesn't understand what makes the 'best' or 'why' it is the best - at least ,in this case. What do all these Hyundai proponents think - that only thing in a $60k automobile is extra markup? Like your metaphor/simile, but comparing a Korean car to one of those German/high end Japanese ones is more ridiculous than even that!. Well, almost time for the Super Bowl - maybe I can avoid those ads - or laugh at them like I should. I may know just enough about cars to do that
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    You're looking at different classes of cars but I noticed you have not tried a Hyundai. Test drive a Sonata and an Azera. Maybe you'll like them, maybe not.

But if you don't try them you'll never know if they would fit your needs/desires.