Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Oh...so then it is only an opinion that the Avalon is better than the Max, Azera, Lucern, Taurus or any of the other cars listed above???

Fair enough. ;)
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    the extremely high number of replies and the praises heaped on the Avalon sounds very suspicious

Yep you caught me....Toyota gave me my Avalon and I have to say how good it is in every car forum I can find! ;)

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

I wonder if Hyundai'll do the same thing and give me a Genesis if I offer to do the same thing! :blush:
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    No, I am telling you that a Toyota Camry is not even on the same planet as any BMW and therefore would be inappropriate for Toyota, in this case, to make that suggestion - on any basis. Toyota /Nissan/Honda all seem to understand this probably because they all do make cars that really do get in the same solar system.
  • Why would Hyundai do that? They get loads of favorable chatter on this forum (about 99% of the talk here) without paying!
    I never said the Camry was on the same planet as any BMW, now did I? Once again, YOU adding something that isn't even there. I simply asked...if Toyota said it, would it be untrue? Please, just read the facts as stated, nothing more. As much as you would like to say it's inappropriate...they are FACTUALLY TRUE, whether you like it or not. I guess it IS true...the TRUTH can hurt! LMAO
    a car purchase is a hefty investment for most of us and our EGOS get in the way of our objectivety. Therefore X can't be better than Y etc. etc.
    now some 'betters' are more defendable than others I guess, which I suppose is the reason for forums like this.
    They get favorable chatter from a few of us, others are simply stuck on Hyundai's past and their manner of advertising facts and using premium European sedans when making certain comparisons.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Note the words "out-the-door." This price includes taxes and all other charges.

:)
    The last two vehicles my mom has gotten were kept for 6+ years; her last Accord she kept for 8 and drove well over 100k miles. Resale doesn't seem bad considering the low cost of entry. Considering a comparable Honda would be over $25k (EX-V6 Accord), taking a $5k hit on resale after 7 years wouldn't be a big deal. We keep cars in the family for a long time. Considering that their Civic would be their run-around car and the Taurus would be a trip car (they live on the Gulf Coast but drive to Birmingham every other weekend), it wouldn't get too many miles on it over the years to come.

Financially, the Taurus would be a good move I think, considering that they keep cars awhile, and GM doesn't have a great rep for resale itself (and that 3800 V6 is just a dog in comparison to modern engines). If they spent $3000 more for a car they liked better over many years, that's money well spent I'd say.
    You are right, a car purchase is a hefty investment. In terms of overall value, factoring in every aspect...it can be definable as to which car is the best car. However, each individual is different in their needs and situation. There is no "perfect" car in any way for anyone. However, there is a perfect car for a person and their given situation.

You have some that maybe can afford an Avalon, but the payments may make their budget tight. So what do they do, look at maybe an Azera, Taurus, Lucerne and see if they can get something comparable in terms of offerings for less money. There are still some that even though they are blue-collar...want the best they can find in class and don't mind spending the extra money to get the Avalon...if it is what suits their needs or wants. Someone could be able to afford an Avalon, but end up with a Max because it suits their personal situation.
    damn - where's the end of the line? ;)
    Grad,

It certainly seems like a good move for 20K OTD. The Taurus is a good car and the engine is powerful and reasonably efficient. The huge trunk is a bonus too.

As for your price quote on the Lucerne, without the actual MSRP its hard to tell exactly, but I still think you could be OTD around 23,500 with 7% tax and doc fees. In this case. though, I would probably grab the Taurus.

I got the last one!

too little too late - story of my life
    their manner of advertising facts
    an oxymoron - 'advertising facts' kinda like 'honest politicians'
    Manner??? They simply stated that the Sonata has more hp than a 528 and that the Azera has more interior space than a 750. How is that 'honest politics'?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,538
    >the extremely high number of replies and the praises

I believe the people posting here have been around for a while and actually are fans of the car they praise. But it's interesting to read your comment because someone did come in and get the Toyota Engine Sludge discussion closed on Edmunds and had tried to do same on several other sites around the internet. I had suspected a coordinated group with a purpose in what I found when searching.
    If anything, the seemingly better build quality of the Taurus and the much better powertrain make it worth at least as much as the Buick to me, probably more. Exterior styling isn't a huge concern for my mom (it would be her car). Her last vehicle was a 2000 Odyssey.

You mention reasonably efficient - I'd say it's quite good (18/28) considering its heft and horsepower. It's near the top of the class in fuel economy, isn't it? The Avalon is the only vehicle I can think of that comes close to delivering the power AND the fuel economy.
    get the Toyota Engine Sludge discussion closed on Edmunds and had tried to do same on several other sites around the internet
    ahh a suspicious mind - just like my own. :D You don't think maybe, just maybe, these discussions stopped because Toyota has stopped making the engine involved a long time ago and it is certainly old (ancient) news.? You think GM is out sabotaging sites that want to talk about plastic intake manifolds on crappy V6 engines, Ford is out there doing its best to avoid the whole issue of speed controls OR Honda is out there doing the same about some transmission discussions etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. etc. Nobody's hands are really clean - and nor should we anticipate that they are - frequency of problems should be the issue - NOT that they occur - because they will. .
    grad-
    you might want to pick up last months CR, they do a review and test of the Taurus and comment that overall FE was 'only' 18mpg. They got 22 out of the Avalon for example, and 19 out of the Azera. They do like the additional power, space and safety features without peer. Based on an 'average' reported reliability, they do recommend it - if things like that mean anything to you. Don't believe you would touch even an Avalon XL for under about $25k because you will find it difficult to find one without some gingerbread.
  • don90don90 Posts: 14
    allmet33 if you find out how to get a Gensis out of Hynudai let me know!!! They can have my 2007 Avalon LTD with it's rain sensing windshield wipers that I have been trying to get fixed for the last ten months.
  • kdshapirokdshapiro Posts: 5,751
    I'll take your Avalon sight unseen and will get the wipers fixed ASAP.
  • don90don90 Posts: 14
    I have the same problem that every Avalon LTD 2005-2008 has with the rain sensing wipers and that is at random when you push the start button and as the engine starts the wipers make one swipe across a DRY windshield. Toyota says that is normal and there fix is to place the wipers switch in the off position before starting the car ,then after it starts put the wiper switch back in the auto position. Which sort of defeats the whole reason to have RAIN SENSING WIPERS. I had RAIN SENSING WIPERS on my 2003 Avalon XLS and in the four years I had it the wipers never had this problem and I kept the wiper switch in the AUTO position for the whole four years.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Let's close out some of the recent discussions:

The Hyundai ads from MONTHS AGO, with the comparisons vs. LR3, LS, 528i, are meant to be tongue-in-cheek. We talked about this, if you are going to take it seriously, then all power to you. FWIW, all said in the ads are FACTS.

The Azera is MUCH shorter than the Avalon on the outside, but both manage 107 cu. ft of interior volume. Hyundai also ups Avalon on the trunk volume. Truth to be told, Hyundai has been making much use of its interior, further reason why most of its car line is one level up of its regular class in size - no other makers can make such claim.

The other, which I've been sitting on since earlier this week, Consumer Reports annual results, Hyundai stood out and received glowing reviews, including 2 top 10, for the first time ever. The Azera and Avalon was the only two cars here to make it to the most comfortable cars list. The Azera continues to do well in satisfaction, since initial introduction; CR is just the latest of many sources to give Azera the highest satisfaction in the class - "most customer satisfied" in CR's list. Oh, also, the Azera was one the five cars listed as most overlooked...

PS: I can't figure out why Edmunds and every other trusted source are calling the Genesis a LUXURY sedan. Could it be, because it is a luxury RWD performance sedan? ;)
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,538
    I was responding to don90. Your comments aren't relevant to what I was talking about.
    Don,

Not that it is right, but, the rain sensing wiper problem isn't limited to Toyota. A friend's Grand Cherokee does the exact same thing you describe. Guess what? Same answer you got too. Probably use the same manufacturer for the sensor.

I was thinking of the same article Captain was. However, for the size of car and power, the economy isn't bad but still lagging a bit behind.

Which sort of defeats the whole reason to have RAIN SENSING WIPERS. I had RAIN SENSING WIPERS

Until you reminded me, I forgot did that on my BMW with rain sensing wipers as a matter of course. Always turned off the wipers when I stopped the car. Sort of like remembering to make sure the car is going 0 mph, before shoving the tranny in park.
    PS: I can't figure out why Edmunds and every other trusted source are calling the Genesis a LUXURY sedan. Could it be, because it is a luxury RWD performance sedan? ;)

There are those who think lxury is more than the sum of the doo-dads. The Genesis will never be a luxury vehicle, IMO. If all that differentiates the Genesis from an Accord is rain-sensing wipers (sic) and a few speakers so what? :)