Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,023
    If you read the comments under the video it is definately the HEMI. The vehicle is driven by a friend of the Avalon driver.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• 0-30 both Avalon and Maxima will keep up and beat Hemi Charger, but beyond 60 mph Hemi will beat both
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the logical answer to this apparent contradiction (the Hemi should easily outrun the Avalon) is likely traction/stability control interfering with those acceleration runs on the Chrysler product - reference the summer 05 comparo that C&D did and the negative impact that 'electronic nannies' had on even a V6 model. The ease of which the Hemi would break its rear wheels loose and the traction control system's reaction to that (cutting throttle) could lead to results that otherwise don't make a whole lot of sense - after all if one is willing to spend that much more money on gas, he/she should be entiltled to something! As an owner of an 05 Avalon Touring that is not handicapped by VSC/TC, I'm still not going to bet my 'pink slip' if that opponent happens to be a 300C/Charger R/T./Impala SS.
  • xtecxtec Posts: 354
    Here is a quote from the 300 magazine"using suspension design and geometry developed by its parent.Daimler-Chrysler"Thats sounds like a Mercedes platform to me.Thats one of the things that make the LX cars good as they are.The Borla is not a stock exhaust.I'm getting nearly double CFM output more then the standard exhaust.Thats were you get the power.You must know that the easier the engine breathes the more HP you will put out.I agree with cap2 on 3739.If you changed your exhaust with a low restriction,you will see more power,and better FE,which is why I had the duals put on.Its a win win situation.Even the Hemi R/T exhaust is restricted,thats with most stock exhaust.The SRT doesn't sound restricted and have bigger exhaust then the 5.7 Hemi.
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    I just think it's a stupid idea to compare a modified Charger against a bone-stock Azera.

Let's stick to apples to apples here.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    the Pontiac G6 is on this list...I am guessing it should be the G8?
  • Are you a salesman for Borla?
    I crunched some numbers, and assuming you paid around $600 parts and labor for your exhaust, and it increases your mileage 1MPG, it'll take you about 100,000 miles before you reach the break even point on cost.
    As far as the added power, even if you get 10HP more, you still are carrying more weight per horsepower than the Azera ( 13.8 lbs/hp ) versus your Charger at 14.7 lbs/hp. If you have AWD, then your Charger is at 15.4 lbs/hp.
    So what if the CFM is double the stock exhaust, your choke point is probably the catalytic converter, and you didn't alter its flow.
    I dont know what weight you using for the Azera,Motor Trend puts it at 3794,about equal to the Charger,with my duals puts it about dead even.If Im getting double CFM,then the converters arent showing much restriction.I came up with about 14.4 lbs/HP.You can't get much closer then that.
    Azera Limited: 3629 lbs and 263 HP = 13.8 lbs/HP
    Charger SE: 3820 lbs and 250 HP = 15.3 lbs/HP

To have the same lbs/HP as the Azera the Charger needs to be at 277 HP. Is your Borla exhaust giving you extra 27 HP?

I don't think so.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Motor Trend uses weight including a driver most of the time. Consumer Guide cites the Charger at 3820, the Azera at 3629. Try using one source for both numbers. Adds to the credibility side of things, and helps keep all things on a level playing field (although comparing a modded Charger to a stock Azera isn't a level playing field either).
  • :)

Anyone want to meet me at the Irwindale drag strip?

Come on now. Don't be shy. :D
    Your V6 Dodge with Borla exhaust against my bone stock Azera and we shall see. :surprise:

If you can't do that, at least run your Mopar V6 on a dyno and show us some results.

Many here are from Missouri (the Show Me State) and we'd love to see those results!

Lots of Luck!

:)
    +1

I want to see what'll happen with my "non-HO 2GR-FSE" going against the "HO Dodge 3.5".
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    To the Borla exhaust guru: See below for what a K & N CAI would have done for your hot rod Charger.

2007 DODGE Charger 3.5L V6 F/I - All Automotive Aircharger 63-1117

11.68 HP @ 6215 RPM
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    "HO" has been a Chrysler term for years. My father had a 1968 Plymouth Fury III with the 383 cid engine. His was the 2 bbl carb (and it had juice). Chrysler also had a 383 with 4 bbl carb and a 383 HO.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    not exactly fair is it? You are running closer to 11 lbs./hp on your IS which is a smaller car after all. Power to weight more in the territory of even a Stang GT/300C/Impala SS, all V8s of course- and I would put my money on your IS despite 2 less cylinders, less torque, and a bunch less of that gas consuming extra displacement. All in all, a helluva a ride, that IS :) .
    'HO' BTW is a relative term - getting 250 HP is 'high' for a Chrysler V6 engine but still short of what is expected (and delivered) out of the similar displacements from Toyota, Nissan, and/or Honda engines (let's not forget 3.5 liter entries from MB and VW as well). And then, of course we have a whole line of straight sixes from you know who. So what should the marketing mavens call these engines? Really, really (or truly) HO, I guess ;)
    Well, El Capitan, I was just trying to make a point on the "HO vs non-HO" discussion.

I don't see anywhere on my 2GR-FSE that says "HO".

;)
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    I do, it's called "306 hp" :)
    The 383 HO was called the Magnum.I owned one in my 68 Road Runner.The Magnum was 335 HP,the 383-4bbl was 330.The 3.5 in the Avenger is 235,while my Charger was 250,thats the differance in HP between non HO,and HO.
    I already made the challenge,but my post was taken down by the host(Pat).I cant understand why your allowed to say what you want,but I'm not.So there is no sense for me to say what I want.I think the case is closed.
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    If indeed the "case is closed", it should be closed to both participants.