Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    Captain's just got his (yes, much more expensive) Avalon on the brain.
    Yep, guilty as charged - hard not to when you drive one every day. BTW if you did some research you would find out that the Avalon is actually one of the LEAST expensive cars in this group - something about cheap now = cheap later :P
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    A 2008 model with already 20k miles on it?

I would never buy a car like that...

Do you know who is the previous owner? Was the car used as the dealer courtesy car before?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Considering my folks have a 2007 model with 52k miles on it that they bought brand new, they don't look at that as being a lot for a car that's probably 9 months old. It has a 6 year 100k mile warranty, so they have peace of mind about it.
    I'm guessing it is safe to assume it has a DBW throttle?
    Believe so - it would be hard for any manufacturer these days to avoid it - upcoming governmental requirements for VSC, safety, as well as the fact that FE sells is making DBW a fact of life. :cry:
    It's funny that someone brought up how buying used scares them. After sleeping on it, my folks have decided they really aren't too comfortable buying used after all. They're now trying to see if they can possibly get in to a new base model Taurus SEL for $20k.

Wish us luck. If not the Taurus, it'll likely be a Civic or Accord LX.
    If anyone in here has bought a Taurus this year I'd love to hear from you over on the Taurus Prices Paid and Buying Forum!!! I should have a quote here shortly from my local Ford dealer; I'll certainly share it with everyone.
    It's human nature.

Putting 50k miles on in 2 years by yourself and 20k miles in 9 months by others are two completely different things psychologically.
    That, and the fact that it was in a rental program. While a Taurus wouldn't be most people's first choice for hot-rodding, they don't know how it was treated.

They haven't written the choice off completely, but if they can get a new basic Taurus for $20k vs. the used Taurus with Leather and the convenience package for $19k, they'll go new.
    That, and the fact that it was in a rental program.

That will be the deal breaker for me right there.

Given on how I treated those rental cars and courtesy cars from my dealership there is no way that I'll ever consider one. :P
  • jlindhjlindh Posts: 282
    Have they driven the Sonata? It's built locally, no nasty unions, hard working Baptist assemblers (except for the robots)....
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Given on how I treated those rental cars and courtesy cars from my dealership there is no way that I'll ever consider one.

And I thought I was the only one that was "a little hard" on the rentals!

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Dad rented a Sonata once, in 2006. Said it didn't feel all-of-a-piece. Also had power window issues. All-in-all, a so-so experience.

An update on the car-sales:

Latest quote: Taurus SEL, Convenience Package, Leather, Sync

MSRP $26,615
    OTD Quote $22,000 (taxes are a little over $900)

That's really making mom and dad happy, and they may just pay more down to get the new car well-equipped, with such a good deal.

Another dealer offered base SEL Tauruses with no options for $20,000 + tax (amounting to near $20,900). The better-equipped one is actually the better deal. Approximately $2,300 worth of extra equipment for only $1,100 more than the base model at the competing dealership.
    MSRP $26,615
    OTD Quote $22,000 (taxes are a little over $900)

Nothing at all to complain about with that deal IMO.

No, I was quite pleased; looked at the car tonight and confirmed the price in person. The parents are coming to Birmingham to buy the car Saturday, i believe.
  • tonycdtonycd Posts: 223
    "BTW if you did some research you would find out that the Avalon is actually one of the LEAST expensive cars in this group - something about cheap now = cheap later"

I am capable of understanding the concept of depreciation, thank you very much. Of course, if you keep your cars past 140,000 miles as I do, the numbers don't play out exactly as you suggest.
  • smithedsmithed Posts: 444
    Have they driven the Sonata? It's built locally, no nasty unions, hard working Baptist assemblers (except for the robots)....

Baptized in oil? Save the souls of those robots, please. :)
    if you keep your cars past 140,000 miles as I do,
    true enough - but also something that would put you in the minority amongst new car buyers.
    My mom's cars tend to stay in the fold for 6 or 7 years, running well into the six figures for mileage. The Taurus should be just fine in that regard, considering how much more car they are getting vs. most other $22k cars (it was going to be an Accord LX or LX-P, or Civic, if they didn't do well on Taurus Pricing).

Sure, resale won't be as good as a Honda, but if the car is good, I don't see them wanting to get another car anytime soon.
    I don't see them wanting to get another car anytime soon.

When gas hits $8/gallon?

:sick: :sick: :sick:
    Unless getting a more fuel efficient car outweighs the car payment, then no. This will mainly be a trip car anyway, so highway mileage will be what it sees. They expect 28-30mpg based on reports from owners here on Edmunds. They have the Civic for running around the island, and dad's commute to work (only 4 miles).
    yeah, no kidding
    gas at $4 has people lined up for miles to get rid of those big honking SUVS that thet spent so much for just a few years back. Wouldn't want to have to be trading in a 05-06 $40k Tahoe right now!
    $8 may have us all in econoboxes, hybrids, diesels, or something equally as unexciting :cry:
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Posts: 228
    I predict that gas will hit $3 before $8! Once the speculation factor goes away.
    hopefully, you are right. I wouldn't have thought that gas would double in such a short time either - or that I could be looking forward to 'only' paying $3 for it. Been reading a bunch of articles about how we are 'lucky' only to be paying the $4.
    I was so happy to see my corner Chevron station drop to only $3.85. Isn't that sad?

Now I can fill up my car for less than $50, as long as I do it before letting the low-fuel light come on! Whoo hoo! :cry:
    Does anyone else have the Lucerne ad at the top of their page? I find it funny that that they are advertising the fuel economy of that car. 25 mpg highway? That's not competitive at all. It would be excusable with some decent power, but not in this case.

C'mon Buick, why are you telling on yourself?
    and that would be 25mpg in a car that'll give you whiplash (from all the downshifting) with the cruise set on 70 or so. Too bad too - it would really be a car worth considering - 'if it only had a heart'.
    Not saying this engine is great either, but the 3.9L can't come soon enough for the Lucerne.

If they had the capacity, I wonder if Buick wouldn't just put the corporate 3.6L in there, tune it to 275hp/251lb-ft like in the Enclave, and let 'er go.
    and that would be 25mpg

But even if FE wasn't up to snuff think of the money you'll save financing on at 0% for 6 years! ;) What more will the General do to sell cars?

Instead of an owner's manual, it'll be a book of printed money. :P