Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    That is totally off-topic, allmet.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    The replacement is coming, although not sure if it's destined for the North American market or not. The current one rides on the old Hyundai XG platform, while more than adequate, it could certainly benefit from using the Azera platform, or something similar. Not much details are known at this point.

I would hope the next Amanti and other upcoming Kias to continue adapt its new family design lanuage, courtesy of Peter Schreyer, head designer - from the ex-cee'd 'vert concept, or the upcoming KOUP, to the forthcoming production Forte - Spectra replacement - argubly one of the best looking cars in the segment.
  • snaglepussnaglepus Posts: 160
    "The current one rides on the old Hyundai XG platform, while more than adequate,
    it could certainly benefit from using the Azera platform, or something similar."

:)

I'm not sure about that. :confuse:
    The front suspension of the late Amanti is identical to the Azera suspension and the older
    Amanti and the XG350 are the same and those parts are not interchangeable
    with the late Amanti and Azeras beginning with the 2006 MY.

:D
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Joe97...as knowledgable as you are usually, I'm surprised to see that you don't know that the newer Amanti's share a whole lot with the Azera now. The earlier ones shared the XG platform and one of the complaints was that the engine was too weak for that car. My wife's uncle sells Kias and he was driving a new model Amanti. I have to admit, you can see the differences from the older ones if you just stop and look at it. It made me go back and take a look at the specs on the car, lo and behold...it now shares the platform and underpinnings of the Azera, along with the 3.8 V-6.

Although the new 2007 Kia Amanti is roughly the same size as before, it now shares all major underpinnings with Hyundai's well-regarded Azera, and as a result, the full-size Kia sedan weighs about 200 pounds less than before.

2007 Kia Amanti Road Test

I think the Amanti will be around as long as the Azera is, especially with the changes that have actually made it a much better car. As I was saying earlier, the newer ones look similar to the older ones, but if you really look...the differences are visible and it's just enough change to make the Amanti a much more pleasing car to look at.
    I must have been feeding wrong information then. :) Thanks guys!!

Interesting to note, however, the wheelbase of the Amanti, prior to the the facelift (up to 2006 model year) is the same as after (2007MY and on).
    I think the new platform is the same size, they just built it differently to be lighter. If you read that Road Test, they said the newer platform that the Amanti and Azera sit on is some 200 lbs lighter than the previous XG platform. Same size, less weight...that's a good thing.
    The Azera's wheelbase is 1.1 in. longer than the XG.
    Okay...then they did slightly lengthen and lighten it then. However, it could still be a revised version of the XG platform. I would find it hard that Hyundai would have come up with an altogether brand new platform for the Azera when all they had to do was tweak the one the XG was riding on. Then again, I could be wrong.

However, the point is now...the Amanti and Azera share platforms.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Good GRIEF! Why didn't they change the exterior design if they went to all the trouble of changing the guts? The exterior design (to me) is the absolute worst on the sedan market. Yes, the sedan market, not just large mainstream sedans.
    Well...they made some subtle changes, but I guess they wanted to keep a car that was unique to the Kia nameplate. It borrows design keys, but is definitely the Amanti. It's not going to appeal to everyone, which is why it hasn't been talked up much in this forum. However, there are some that believe it to be the true sleeper that folks won't see coming...a dark horse to speak.
    Unless sales have spiked since the last time I checked, that horse is so dark it can't be seen in the shadows of the actual competition!
    That may be true, I think between the Amanti and the Azera...the Azera is the clear winner here. However, I have to admit...I do see quite a few Amantis on the road here in the DC area. I see them more frequently than I see Azeras and that's no bull.
    Top 10 Losers: Non-Luxury Sedans, Wagons and Hatchbacks (Current Models)

What I found appears to be the amount of "lot time" a car has, although the site wasn't clear. This is for the month of May, and looks bad for the Ford twins as well as the Kia.

2008 Mercury Grand Marquis: 223 days
    2008 Ford Taurus: 120 days
    2008 Mercury Sable: 119 days
    2008 Kia Amanti: 117 days
    2008 Dodge Avenger: 96 days
    2008 Buick Lucerne: 87 days
    2008 Mazda6 hatchback 86 days
    2008 Chrysler Sebring: 77 days

2008 Chrysler 300: 73 days
    2008 Buick LaCrosse: 69 days

The top 10 winners for May:

Top 10 Movers: Non-Luxury Sedans, Wagons and Hatchbacks

2008 Toyota Prius: 11 days
    2009 Toyota Camry Hybrid: 17 days
    2008 Mazda5: 23 days

2008 Pontiac G8: 23 days
    2008 Chevy Malibu: 24 days
    2008 Chevy Impala: 29 days
    2009 Toyota Camry: 31 days
    2008 VW Jetta: 33 days
    2009 Hyundai Sonata: 36 days

2008 Toyota Avalon: 37 days
    I understand that, but if you go and read the 2007 Road Test on the Inside Line...the reviewer said the Amanti isn't for everyone, but for those that aren't looking for driving dynamics, but want touches of luxury for less than $27K...the Amanti will give them just that. He doesn't say that it'll fly off the lots and I can only tell you what I observe in my daily driving. Every area won't see the same thing. Heck, here I can run across Azeras now on a daily basis. A trip to Atlanta, I saw two (one on the way there and one on the way back), but didn't encounter any IN Atl. Same for Dallas too.
    The Amanti is another Buick it sounds like... I'm not finding fault with how the car drives or behaves from behind the wheel (i've never driven one, how could I? ;))

I just NEVER see Kia Amanits. Azeras? Yes. I can honestly say that I see many more of the new Taurus Sedan than I see Amantis. That's saying something, considering the Taurus isn't selling well.

Request: Can anyone link me to some sales numbers of these cars? Not specific; it can be by month, YTD, etc... I really don't care. I'd just like to compare.

Thanks!
    I think you are right...the true Korean Buick. Like you, I've never driven the Amanti either. However, after seeing the one my wife's uncle was driving...I was curious to find out how it does drive compared to the Azera.
    Request: Can anyone link me to some sales numbers of these cars? Not specific; it can be by month, YTD, etc... I really don't care. I'd just like to compare.

Break out the bubbly, Kia sold 1,117 Amantis in June, more than triple the amount compared to the same period last year :) Still down YTD, however:

http://www.kiamedia.com/secure/corporate070108.html

Azera here:

http://www.hyundainews.com/Corporate_News/Sales_Releases/07_01_2008_2786.asp

Probably one of the few large cars not off by 20-30% or more this year to date compared to last

Taurus:

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=28526

Sharp decrease in June but in the same condiition as with all other large cars.
    Considering the 2008 Taurus wasn't really fully moving at this time last year (or was it?) I wouldn't write the Taurus off as a sales victory/loss just yet, as much as I like the car.

Thanks for working on finding me the links though, joe. I really appreciate it!
  • jontyreesjontyrees Posts: 159
    I'm starting to see a few Tauruses around Austin - a couple in my neighborhood, one down at the golf club. Everyone that rides in mine is impressed - it's obviously a great car for taking a few coworkers to lunch.
  • cyberpunkcyberpunk Posts: 39
    I have to completely disagree. I don't see anybody confusing the '09 Maxima with the Civic, from behind.

And I have seen them both in person - I own both the '09 Maxima and an '07 Civic.

The Maxima is bigger. The sheet metal is much more aggressively flaired. The shape of the tailights is completely different. The Maxima has dual exhausts out the back. The shape of the trunks is different. The only thing both backends have in common is the line the trunk opening makes as it heads down towards the bumper...a line that is in almost universal use, I might add.

Finally, the Maxima is simply much better looking, when comparing the back of the two cars. :)
  • hjc1hjc1 Posts: 183
    That's what I like about this country.... Everyone has an opinion good or bad.
    Maybe If only one person was left - all our countries problems would be solved
    We wouldn't have too worry about the Dems not wanting to drill for oil or the Repub. wanting to. ETC ETC ETC
  • cdmuilecdmuile Posts: 152
    Yeah, but how could all the people who don't believe what I believe 'be so terribly' wrong?
    I wouldn't expect someone that owns an '09 Max to agree with me...heaven forbid one would admit that the back end resembles a smaller Civic!!! OMG!!!!

Dude, take a chill pill for real. I know the differences between the two and can also admit that the Max looks much better as well. I wasn't saying that it didn't. I simply said that looking at the back of both cars you see similar lines (which by the way...are not universal).

Besides, I'm entitled to my opinion. ;)
  • cyberpunkcyberpunk Posts: 39
    Dude - you need to relax. I didn't come down on you - I just said I disagree with you. If you read my post, you'll also notice that I said I own a Civic, so I'm not sure why you'd think I'd have an issue with the Maxima resembling the "smaller Civic." I just said I disagree that it does, and I posted why I disagree.

And I never said you're not entitled to your opinion, although it sounds like you need to work on your self-esteem if you come so unglued by people disagreeing with you.
    I am relaxed. ;)

May I ask...which Civic do you own? I know it's an '07, but which model and trim?

There is nothing wrong with my self-esteem...I actually do think very highly of myself. :blush:
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    I actually do think very highly of myself

Houston, we have a problem...

:P
    Come on Louis...a problem? :surprise:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    move on, please
  • louisweilouiswei Posts: 3,717
    move on, please

Pat, if you can't sense the humor in the last couple posts then that's pretty sad...

That's all I have to say.
    Thank you Louis, I'm glad we were on the same page this time. :D