Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    LOL The most domestic, foreign car on the market, huh?
    Yeah...currently, the Azera is made over in Korea. There was talk of having it manufactured here in the U.S., but I'm not sure how much outfitting would need to be done at their Albama plant to make that happen. Not unless Hyundai has another plant being constructed to handle U.S. production of the Azera and possibly the Genesis.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    laugh, if you wish - and certainly a hard concept to grasp isn't it?. A lot of what Detroit produces comes out of Canada and/or Mexico and soon apparently China - where Buicks are big. Not everything yet, of course - but the 'US' brands are steadily moving out. Don't be surprised if this doesn't happen to the Azera as well - the weak dollar may make it too expensive for Hyundai to do anything else.
    I'm not lauging at the concept, but then again I am. It's funny how so many people put an emphasis on buying foreign to get a better product, but in actuality...it's no more foreign than the domestic brands.

I agree with you, I do believe that Hyundai will be producing the Azera, Genesis, Veracruz and Entourage here in the U.S. Considering they are larger vehicles, shipping costs would be greatly reduced. The smaller cars really aren't an issue as they can cram a whole bunch of those on ship and send 'em across the pond. You start filling a boat with the larger ones, you find you can't quite put as many of those as you can the Tiburons, Accents, Elantras and Tucsons on there.
    Not unless Hyundai has another plant being constructed to handle U.S. production of the Azera and possibly the Genesis.
    well if this was to be the case, Hyundai is going to have to sell a whole lot more of both vehicles to be able to justify the investment. Read somewhere that $700 or 800 million was spent down in Alabama but then again, they do sell a lot more Sonatas and Santa Fes, don't they? 3000 Azeras a month - not even a blip on the radar screen - heck even 8000 Avalons just barely a blip.
    I agree wholeheartedly. That's why I'm thinking they might outfit the current plant to handle production of the Azera. Maybe???
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Are you talking about the fact that you have the two tail lights bridged by the piece of plastic in the middle? If so...there were many cars that had some form of that at some point. To say it's Buicky...I just don't see it.

No, that's not the only reason. The very rounded nature of the rear-end helps emphasize the Buick-y look to me. It's not a clone in any way, just has some reseblance.

And, as far as the Sonata being better looking than the Azera, I'm young, so its in the eye of the beholder. The Azera isn't a crisp and sharp looking as I'd like it to be. I don't drive a sports car (I drive a midsize 4-door), but while I wouldn't want to be seen in an Azera, I wouldn't mind being in a Sonata. The Azera looks like something my dad should be driving, not me (although the current Sonata's interior is a downer, glad its getting refreshed!).
    Actually allmet, unless you have some overwhelming desire to buy 'American' - some of us do - don't believe it would do the Azera any good to be built in Ala. , take it from somebody who's been there - don't underestimate the work ethic (and other abilities) that comes along with some of those Korean folks.
    I do believe the issues that have made themselves known with the '06 & '07 models are supposed to be taken care of
    this is the way it should be - all cars should improve with age. The well rated Lucerne V8 is probably as good as it is because it has had years of development as a Caddy DTS. The Avalon, started in 05 with some 'teething pains' and an 'average' rating - and has since improved. For some reason, the Azera is the one that has gotten 'worse' with age - something that makes no sense. While Hyundai should address any problems that crop up in the 06 and 07s, it really is unusual for the 06s to be so well rated but the current model to be a coupla levels worse.
    Hhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...maybe if you close one eye, squint real hard with the other and look through a frosted lens! LOL

Young??? What makes you think I'm old? LOL At 37, I hardly qualify for the median age of most Azera owners that grace this forum. As far as the look of the Sonata...granted, that's a subjective thing, but in all honesty...it fits that boxy Honda Accord look (which I didn't like). My favorite Sonata body was the '02-'05. Too bad they couldn't have upgraded the 2.7 V-6 and put the 3.3 in that body. The Azera, while bigger than the Sonata, is juch sleeker and has lines that flow from front to back (or back to front) depdending on how you look at it. I guess I'm just one for more natural looking lines, not that hard, straight edge techno-look..

In comparison between the Sonata and the Azera...the Azera has sex appeal with it's curves. Before anyone gets up in arms about this statement...this is merely MY opinion
    Well...for the Azera to drop from above average to just average at only 1 year old, I wouldn't get too uptight over that. Now if the next model year shows another drop to below average...I would worry. What I would love to see is the '08 come out and get above average ratings and then subsequent years after that...it maintain that rating for consistency.

As far as the '06's doing so well, hey...sometimes, the stars line up just right and everything just seems to work in your favor. Sorta like Kobe going for 81 points, the Patriots making a run at a perfect season...things like this just happen. In this instance, Hyundai hit a home run on the first at bat with a new model. Only downside to this...expectations are raised for them and it's disappointing when they don't uphold those expectations.

Like I said though...from above average to just average isn't worth selling the farm over, but if a downward trend develops with each model year...yeah, I can see Hyundai having some accountability issues to deal with.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Young??? What makes you think I'm old? LOL At 37, I hardly qualify for the median age of most Azera owners that grace this forum.

Not saying your old, haha. But I am just about half your age - 20.

If we were going by just image in here, I'd probably take the Maxima first. As it stands I don't have a need for cars this large, I'm just an enthusiast who likes to talk about all things "car." :)
    Not quite sure what you mean with your post. My comment isn't made against the Koreans, the comment is made in respect to those here in America that buy imports with the thought of having an edge over domestics, but...depending on the particular model you're buying...you're still buying a domestic. The only thing that makes it foreign is because the company headquarters is on the other side of the world.

I obviously have no problems with Korean work ethic or abilities as I have now owned 3 Hyundai vehicles in my lifetime...so far. And to be honest, none of them were the ones manufactured here in the U.S. But here's another question...what does Korean work ethic have to do with the Ala. plant? I hardly think they shipped in a bunch of Korean workers to work at that plant. I'm pretty sure the plant is filled with American employees.
    LOL Well...if you were to take a spin in my car, you would hardly think I'm 37!!! Scary thing is...I'm hardly done with all the mods I have in store for my Azera.

Image, I woud take the Altima over the current Maxima. You get almost everything the Maxima has to offer and more power to boot!

I worry about image myself and yet, I still ended up in an Azera...by choice.
    what does Korean work ethic have to do with the Ala. plant?
    the comment meant to imply that that a Korean built Azera might be assembled better than one from Alabama. A common perception that also includes Tennessee built Nissans, Ohio built Hondas, and Kentucky built Toyotas. I have never seen anything statistical to indicate to me that this is true or not.
    Thank you for clarifying. Actually...I have heard of this being the issue with Toyota. That the vehicles built over in Japan are of better quality than the ones made here in the U.S. I don't know this to be a fact either, but I have heard a few Toyota owners say it. If it were the case, I wouldn't find it hard to believe that the same would hold true with the Hyundai vehicles.

Like the saying goes, if you want it done right...do it yourself.

From my understanding the Hyundai vehicles that are made and sold over in Korea and other foreign markets, are exceptional in quality. Guess maybe they feel we don't deserve that same quality, so why not let us build them for ourselves.
    maintain that rating for consistency
    and that is exactly what Hyundai NEEDS to do for several more years for Hyundai to improve its image enough that the average car buyer will start to pay attention to what they are doing. It would bother me that the Co. flagship is developing some apparent quality problems in its second year of manufacture, its not like Hyundai is selling that many Azeras and they can't spend the time they need on quality control - something I perceive to be Toyota's problem in the last few years and also conversely, the reason for 'Detroit's' general improvement (along with older engines/trannies etc.) .
    Agreed, however...I still don't see much of an issue of them going from 'above average' to 'average' in their rating. I mean...it's not clear how close to 'above average' they still may be or where in the 'average' ranking they sit. Without having numerical scores in a range that differentiates each "ranking"...I don't put much stock into that bit of a slip. It would be a different story if they went from 'average' to 'below average'.

Hyundai's problems...well, along with terrible customer support at most of their dealerships, along with an ever expanding line-up and not knowing how to market their vehicles...they just seem to be caught up in a whirlwind with no clear cut direction (as one poster stated before). If they sit down and come up with an agenda and goals they want to achieve, then they can prioritize and get things in order. If I were at the helm, I would actually hold up on the release of the Genesis and focus on quality control of the current line-up. Which, with the Accent and Elantra doing well in their segments, it shouldn't be that hard. The Santa Fe doesn't seem to have any issues, nor does the Tucson or Tiburon.
    well Hyundai does have one thing going for them - GM,Ford and Chrysler seem intent on 'giving' them what market share they wish! And I don't mean to imply that the Koreans don't 'earn' it as well, but the US mfgrs. abandoned the car market quite a while ago with generally inferior offerings and haven't shown an ability (or desire) to come up with anything that would change that. This is what also made Toyota #1 in the world - among other things. If Buick/Ford, for example, had figured out a way to make a 'Buick/Ford Azera' , I think the topics on this forum would be quite different.
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    Actually, a quick correction:

GM is back at #1 thru. Q3 2007 worldwide; Toyota was #1 at the end of Q1 2007.