Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• usfarbuousfarbuo Posts: 13
    Is this a Buick or Toyopta forum. I "hit" Azera on my computer but all I see are remarks about the buick or avalon.
  • killerbunnykillerbunny Posts: 141
    I also think that Toyota is being a little greedy not to give rebates or incentives for a soon to be one year old model. One reason why the Azera will give it a run for its money.

Don't think so.

There is no greedy car company, as there is no generous car company. Everything is dictated by demand and supply. If Toyota offer more incentive than needed, there will be a huge line up waiting for Avalon deliveries. And then some customers are not pleased by the 6 month wait.
  • buzz123buzz123 Posts: 35
    I think the forum is supposed to be anything that falls into the large sedan category and is less than $30K. You're right, so far, it seems like most of the contributors have been Avalon owners followed by Buick owners. However, I think comments about any of the vehicles that fall into this category, including the Azera that you mentioned, are welcome. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before more owners of other vehicles start contributing as well. Feel free to make any comments you have about the Azera or any other vehciles in this category that you're intrested in.
  • buzz123buzz123 Posts: 35
    I think that's a great way to look at it! You're right when you said "Each owner seems to understandably defend their personal choice as the best car." I like your list of preferences especially the cloth seats. I prefer cloth seats as well.
  • averigejoeaverigejoe Posts: 559
    Seems to me there is a clear winner here.
    Look at the power, equipment, price, warranty and dimensions.

Verdict: HYUNDAI AZERA

Tell me where I am wrong.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    I went to the Chicago Auto Show in Feb. and the one car that impressed me the most was the Azera. I am 6'4" and can sit in the driver's seat and get out and sit in the back driver's side seat comfortably. The Avalon is nice, but my head hits the roof in the back seat and the styling is bland. The Buick everyone is bashing was nice, but unremarkable styling turned me off. I loved the look of my 1992 Park Ave. Ultra. That was a sharp vehicle and was very relaible for the 6 years I owned it. I will certainly look at the Azera when new car time comes as in terms of car for the $$$ no one else can compare. Right now with kids and stuff to carry, I love my Dodge Magnum RT. There is no other sport wagon than can even come close in value and performance for the $$$. But, I am prejudiced towards what I picked.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,040
    I'm going to do what Pat suggested in another Mix discussion: tell what I like and would like different.

I like that the Lucerne replaces a range from LeSabre Custom to Park Avenue Supercharged with one car. So the Lucerne is really a dichotomy (trichotomy) or cars. I like the idea of cloth seats and smooooooth 3800 motor for those of us who don't like to drag race with high revs 99% of the time. I like the smooth but well-controlled ride; it's not your father's Buick ride anymore. Even our 03 is taut.

I'd like to see the standard bench seat available on each model and with cloth seats; I don't want to have to buy a console in the middle of the front seat to get cloth seats again like my older Buick has. I hate the leather.
    I'd also like to see the Lucerne marketed as 3 different cars so that the CR and competition couldn't stereotype one model as the character of the other two; i.e., 3800 base softer ride vs Northstar wheel-scrubbing V8 with computer controlled ride struts-one of the best rides, I've read.
    >Not to start a war here, but the Buick is not a new car.

Isn't the Avalon built on the Camry chassis? The 17/25 is for the powerful Northstar. The 3800 v6 is higher and it will deliver the mileage. See my earlier post as to the varied characteristics of the car.

The 4-speed auto works great, especially when you have a motor with torque, which both do. There is no hesitation problem with the trans/motor combo.
  • man, azera looks clear winner to me. i love avalon and maxima, but they are so expensive.
  • Hey that's OK TJC you got your opinions I just wanted to point it out ot you. I really don't see where there could be any car much quieter or smoother than my Lucerne but I haven't ridden in an Avalon so I won't knock you. I refuse to buy a Japanese car just because I will not put an American out of work. EVen though I know Toyota probably has Assembly plants here in the US I still refuse to do it. Especially after losing my job back in 2002 to Indian IT Consultants. To boot I had to train them too so they could take my job. That was the worst training the guy to take your job. Good luck with your Avalon I hope you don't have the problems others have reported!! :)
  • tinydog1tinydog1 Posts: 83
    I test drove the Avalon and Azera when lookin for a new car. The Azera won hands down. The Avalon exhibited a hesitation on acceleration, was noisier, and the trans did not shift smoothly. The Azera is so fluid, super smooth engine and trans, smooth throttle response, quiet, excellent ride, and fit and finish is flawless. No regrets here, no problems, has performed flawlessly. Purchased the Limited w/ Ultimate package for thousands less than an Avalon Limited. I loved the Azera so much, I went out and purchased an 06 Sonata LX, also an awsome car. :)
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    Only Buick fans here? How about Impala and Charger? To tell the truth, I personally like all the sedans in this forum but the Amanti. I don't find the design appealing at all. As for the 300, I know only the 2.7L fits in this forum and I don't think it has a lot of fans. Unless someone proves me wrong.

Captain2 and Buzz123, what are your favorite American made and why? Question open to all.
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Posts: 271
    There is an article that compares the Honda Accord V6, Toyota Camry, Hyundai Azera, and Buick Lucerne because all are in the same price range.

Can anyone guess how the order turned out? Like if it's anything new.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    This discussion is about all of the vehicles listed at the top of the page.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    averigejoe, you need to email me immediately.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    "Isn't the Avalon built on the Camry chassis?"

No the 05, 06 Avalon was a complete redesign. The earlier Avalons were on a stretched Camry frame.

You cannot compare the 3800 V6 to the Avalon V6 not even close. It is a good engine, can't knock that. But coming in at only 197 HP and still getting less MPG than the competitors puts the car at a disadvantage.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

>06 Avalon was a complete redesign. New engine, trans, and chassis. The earlier Avalons were on a stretched Camry frame.

"Redesigned from the ground up, the Avalon now rides on a stretched version of the current Camry platform."

Anything that starts with something else and 'stretches' it is not a redesigned from ground up. It's based on the Camry platform which has been stretched.
  • oilcan2oilcan2 Posts: 120
    Avalon is built on a bigger chassis and the 3800 engine is
    197 hp compared to 268 and is rated at 28 hyw mpg.All else
    being equal I would chose the AV with better mileage and alot more power.I did test drive a Lucerne and what I did'nt
    like was the 1960's 6 by 9 rear speakers compared to the
    Avalons powered subwoofer,its a small point but this was the
    upgraded radio on the Lucerne and the Avalon sounded much
    better.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    "The Avalon is the first Toyota that is not only styled and built in the United States but is also completely engineered here. The all-new platform and 3.5-liter, 280-hp V-6 were designed in our backyard in Ann Arbor, Michigan, at the Toyota Technical Center, and they'll make their way into many future Toyota and Lexus vehicles."

This was taken from a popular auto magazine's website. The 05 Avalon was a new design. Yes, now it shares its platform with the Camry as it always did. My point is that it is new, not recycled.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

Shares platform. My point exactly. My source is Edmunds.... ;)

It's the Camry chassis stretched. Says it right there without the spin.
    http://www.edmunds.com/apps/vdpcontainers/do/vdp/articleId=105147/pageNumber=5

Paragraph #3.