Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,038
    >survey-based studies are meaningless...market research, focus groups, political polling, etc.?

Perhaps you noticed that CR's survey is allegedly mailed to subscribers only and then only those who choose fill it out--whatever their motive or lack of motive about the car they may or may not even own!

Market research will use a telephone survey of randomly selected phone numbers so that they get a truly random survey. They also collect some data qualifying those who do answer the phone to adjust their survey results. Similarly for political polling; however the people paying for the poll often misuse or misrepresent the results. It's all in the group of questions that being asked in both political and nonpolitical surveys.

I received a phone poll about local news anchors and by the repetitive spiraling type of questions, I believed it would give them good info about the one station's evening news characters.

CR's poll method is called convenience polling in things I've read. It's the same as standing in front of a grocery store in one part of town and asking those entering questions about something--if they choose to talk to you (I wouldn't). I did hit a convenience poll inside Lowes several years back but it clearly was for their benefit; I talked to them.
  • guestguest Posts: 774
    I just took my Charger on a hour trip on differant types of road conditions,and its the best riding car I ever owned,thanks to the Mercedes platform,This car and the 300 ride would out do any Azera or car on this board.They still allowing the Azera on this board,thats suprising seeing that its a mid-size.
  • nimiminimimi Posts: 249
    You must have been looking at some other EPA site, not the US EPA. On this emissions listing, the Azera is clearly identified as "large car." http://www.epa.gov/autoemissions/all_alpha_06.txt
    Same thing on the mileage listings where "large cars" are defined as having 120 cu. ft. or more of passenger and cargo volume.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    "This car and the 300 ride would out do any Azera or car on this board"

Have you driven them all? There are some fine riding cars here. I have driven every vehicle in this discussion except the Amanti, (Charger technically, but the same as a 300) and must disagree with you. All have different characteristics. For example, the Lucerne has the plushest softest ride, the Maxima one of the firmest. IMO the Avalon and the Azera have the best combo of smoothness and handling.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "It even has a better balance then the 300,the Charger is 4 in. longer then the 300.Don't believe me look it up."

Really? Per http://autos.msn.com the 300C is 196.8" and the Charger is 197.7", making a difference of 0.9".
  • So, by this reasoning, I guess you think all survey-based studies are meaningless...market research, focus groups, political polling, etc.?

All surveys are flawed to one degree or another. But the CR survey is one of the poorest I've ever seen.
  • The Azera is very roomy inside, but does not appear large on the outside. The Azera provides for good visibility as well and plenty of rear headroom. I drove the Charger when car shopping and while I liked the car, the roof in the rear slopes down to give a cramped feel and the hood goes forever...I guess you could get used to that. I like the fact that the Azera center console allows my right knee some room and does not constrict leg movement. The car is very good looking, but has been criticized for the rear bulges over the rear wheels. Guess what? That's why the trunk is so massive. Good design destined to only get better. :shades:
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    "I don't know where you get your specs from,try going to the Dodge website and youll see the Charger is 200.1 in."

My bad, I accidentally wrote down the number from the Magnum (I had all three of the siblings up at the same time).

"You are giving out to much false information here and should look up the facts before you put down something."

Ummm, your attitude is most unbecoming and does nothing to engender camaraderie.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • I test drove the 300, Ford 500, Avalon and Azera. The 300 felt underpowered with the 3.5 V-6 and made me feel like I was riding in a plastic easter egg. Too much low quality plastic and dismal fit and finish. The 500 way underpowered and did not like the feel of the CVT. The Avalon had a rattle and some hesitation from a stop. The Azera was flawless in every way, providing a smooth and extremely quiet ride, plenty of power and tons of features for the price. I chose an Azera Limited Ulimate. The best $27k I have ever spent. Have owned it for over a year and still flawless. I can't say that for my friend with a 300 Hemi and he paid $40k for his. I usually pick him up at the Chrysler dealership in my Azera. At least Hyundai relies on itself for engineering and not having to borrow old MB platforms for their cars. Has everyone forgotten that Hyundai ranks higher than MB in initial quality? And yes the Azera IS classified as a large car. Cars are rated by interior volume not wheelbase or overall length. I added 4in of length to my 07 SantaFe by adding the OEM bumper guard.
  • This is the Azera groups and discussions board after all. You are sounding like a Dodge homer. I failed to mention how poorly designed I thought the Charger interior was with all the cheap plastic. I think you are splitting hairs over whether the Azera is a large car or not. Have you ever sat in one? If you had, you probably would be driving one. ;)
  • Just go away your car does not Qualify as a Large car.It doesn't belong on this forum,I'm sorry.

I don't mean to burst your bubble, but you sound as if you are mired in the days of tail fins and bullet bumpers. I used to argue about car size with my friends when we were little kids! You know the kind of arguments I mean... my dad drives a Ford and your dad drives a Chevy and so your dad's Chevy is junk because my dad likes Ford! :P

Anyway, I looked up your Charger and a number of other vehicles on the EPA website I referenced before and low and behold, the Charger has one of the smaller interiors at only 104 cubic feet passenger volume! The Azera's comes in at 107 cubic feet and has 17 cubic feet trunk volume. I couldn't find the trunk volume for the Charger on either the EPA site or the Dodge site.

The point here is that car classes are not determined by physical exterior measurements. There are too many variables due to styling choices that could falsely change a vehicle's classification so the EPA/government decided some time ago to use interior size to determine a vehicle's size class.

As to your assertion that the Azera is not a large car like your Charger, please do us all a favor and go to:

Find a Car

Once there, click on "Search by class" and then click on "EPA Size class". From there you can choose Large cars from the drop down box and see "ALL" vehicles classified by the EPA as LARGE! ;)

Happy New Year! :)
  • With the warranty on the Azera, you don't need a large bank account. Chances are you WILL need it for a Chrysler.
  • You bought a Dodge, so you may be walking sooner than you think.
  • The Azera has 124 cubic feet of total interior volume (includes cargo). Large cars are classified by the EPA as 120 cubic feet or more of total interior volume. Clearly the Azera IS a large car by recognized standards. The Dodge Charger has 121 feet of total interior volume. Smaller than the Azera, but still considered large.
    Please let this one go - the Azera belongs here.
  • 104 cubic feet on the Charger. WOW, even the Sonata has more interior volume at 105 cu.ft.
  • Styling is purely subjective. I think the Azera in one of the most beautiful cars I have ever seen. (My opinion) I think the Charger looks like a Mitsu Galant with big hips, awful (again My opinion)
  • I mean you have false info.I don't care what degree you have,you know nothing about the mrchanics of a car,or you would know a good one when you see it.Your wasting my time,and time you can't get back,buy what you want and I'll buy what I want Don't bother me.

Let's see. In my somewhat sheltered life (50+ years), I have rebuilt carbs, worked on FI and car electronics, overhauled engines (v8s, v6s, I4s), rebuilt transmissions, brake jobs, worked on racing engines, etc. I used to manage a local parts and service center so I think I have a some experience when it comes to cars, so I think you can change your assumption about my car knowledge. :P

Let's see how you spin that! ;)
  • The 500 way underpowered and did not like the feel of the CVT

The CVT (optional, and the easiest way to ensure getting it is to get the AWD version) is one of the reasons I got the 500.

Underpowered? Ha! I still blow the doors off Azeras, Chargers, 300's, Avalons, and even Corvettes all the time. It ain't the car, it's the driver.

If you can't make a 500 do what you need to do, I submit that you either live in an area full of Mario Andretti's, or you just don't know how to drive. ;)

Maybe you'll like the car better when it comes out (next year?) with the 3.5L V6. But, I don't think it'll be available with the CVT, then.

I can't understand people not liking the CVT . . it's the best kind of automatic transmission there is.
  • This is the Azera groups and discussions board after all.

Actually, I get here via the Ford Five Hundred forum. :D
  • I couldn't find the trunk volume for the Charger on either the EPA site or the Dodge site.

That's because it's so small that they didn't think it had one. :P