Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Gee, you mean that isn't normal?? I thought that was the way it "just happened" all the time. Wheeeee ;)
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    RE. 1337: I had a 2000 300M, (3.5 / 250 something HP)and as I recall it was about the quickest US 6-cyl 4-door sedan 0-60 (at that time of course)
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    Never timed my 02 XG350L, but it had more than enough power to handle the Colorado mountains. While I would agree the styling was dated, it wasn't a problem for an older geezer like me. The three things that were the best about it (and convinced me to stay with Hyundai getting a new Azera) were the numerous features, the interior room, and putting 76K on it with only a burned out headlight bulb as the only problem it ever had.
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    Gee, you mean that isn't normal??

You shoulda seen the time that a motorcyclist decided to "pop a wheelie" and travel for at least a quarter-mile down the interestate . . . with cars ALL around him doing 60mph.
  • lightfootfllightfootfl Posts: 442
    Oooh yeah, I think that guy must have been in Pensacola with a friend a few months back.the two of them I think were trying to impress one another with their ?ability or stupidity, I'm not sure which. They acted as though the road was a showplace instead of a traffic moving roadway. The show was certainly there, with both front and rear wheelies, and a few other things too for over a 2 to 3 mile stretch. Oh well, to each his own so they say., at least I was able to stay out of their way, this was in moderate traffic running about 40mph. :surprise:
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    the DC 3.5 is a good effort, perhaps only matched currently by the GM 3.6 and even the Ford 3.5 (seen good reports on the power of this one, but also that it falls short of the refinenment and smoothness of the Toyota/Honda/Nissan egnines. It pushes the heavier 300 to 60 in the low 7s, the 300M I would guess in the mid 6s, which would indeed make it very quick for a 'US' made V6. Think that the Koreans are further along in smaller engine development at this point than the US mfgrs. however
  • prosource1prosource1 Posts: 234
    The codename Hyundai BH sedan will be RWD, 6 speed Aisan tranny, 340 4.6 V8 new Hyundai Tau engine and will start at $29995. It will debut at the NY Autoshow in April.
    This Korean site has traditionally rec'd 'spot-on' sketches.

http://www.bobaedream.com/board/data/data_view.php?code=national&No=76165&page=1- &select=Subject&content=bh&r_no=6&search_gubun=&s_pagescale=&search_day=
  • joe131joe131 Posts: 971
    The Chrysler 300M came out in 1999 and ended in 2004.
    Contemporary road tests in 1999 showed 0-60 in 7.7 and 7.8 seconds (Motor Trend).
    3.5-liter, aluminum High-Output SOHC 24-valve V6 generates a responsive 250* horsepower at 6,400 rpm, with 250* pound-feet of torque at 3,900 rpm.

The 2001 model road test showed 0-60 mph in 7.5 seconds. Miles Per Gallon EPA city 18, hwy 26.

In 2002, a c"300 Special M" ame out. The limited-edition sedan gets a bump of five ponies—to 255, owing to reduced back pressure from its dual exhaust. Torque is up as well, to 258 pound-feet, an increase of three. Coupled to an AutoStick transmission that features a shorter final-drive ratio—3.89 versus 3.66—the beefed-up six seemed poised to make the Special quicker.
    Poised? Yes. Quicker? No. The Special clipped the 60-mph mark in 8.0 seconds, 100 mph in 22.7, and the quarter-mile in 15.9. Not shabby, but not any better than the last 300 we tested (March 2000), which reached 60 in 7.8, 100 in 21.2, and the quarter-mile in 15.9. (Road & Track magazine)

(The 300 C is the current model. With a 345 cubic inch V8 hemi it may have 0-60 times in the 6 second range, but the 300 M never did.)
    The current 300 C with a 345 V-8 hemi might make it to 60 in the 6 second range, but the 300 M never did.
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    The current 300 C with a 345 V-8 hemi might make it to 60 in the 6 second range, but the 300 M never did.

Might? How about 5.3 seconds!
    http://www.caranddriver.com/roadtests/8009/2005-chrysler-300c-hemi-page3.html
    Here is the link
  • batistabatista Posts: 159
    Thanks to Captain here it is:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparisons/11447/chrysler-300-touring.html

It shows the 3.5L 300 going to 60 in 7.3 seconds.
    The 300 weighs quite a bit more than 300M.
    My guess is that the newer 2005+ 3.5L High Outputs are now rated a true 250HP and the 300M may have had the 250 overstated.
    Car magazine numbers will vary. Car and Driver usually gets the best numbers. When getting data from Consumer Reports you need to add a full second to the 0-60 figure.
    Car and Driver got 5.9 seconds for the 07 V6 Camry and
    Consumer Reports got 7.1 seconds. Thats a huge difference.

But in this particular case (3.5L DC)both were tested by Car and Driver which will keep the results accurate.
    Yeah, I knew the 300 C was quick, but my post was more an answer to the guess made earlier by captain 2 that the 300 M was a 6 second car 0-60 mph, which it is not.
    My saying the V-8 300 C might do a 6 second run allowed for any time. I did not limit the 300 C to any particular time.
    I did limit the 300 M to times slower than the 6 second range.
    Yours does not seem to be a response to my post. Maybe you were responding to someone else.
    I was never concerned about the current model 300 with a 3.5 motor. I was not making claims about it or responding to other posts about it. I was responding to posts about the 300 M.
    Yeah, Car & Driver (and Road & Track) usually have the quickest times. Motor Trend also gets quick times, but generally don't test so many imports as the other two. Their testers do whatever it takes to get maximum performance. They will torque brake an automatic trans car to get the quickest launch and will dump the clutch at high rpm and forego lift-throttle shifts on a manual car if it will result in a quicker time. They are hard on cars.
    Consumer reports drives more gently, not doing any of those extreme techniques, so their times are slower.
    The 1/4 mile terminal speed should not vary too much using gentle or drastic launches.
    Again, your post, though arguably interesting, was not really responsive to any point I was trying to make.
    Here are more views of (V-8 hemi) 300 C performance:

"The Chrysler 300C can go from zero to 60 mph in just 6.3 seconds. According to Burke Brown, chief engineer for both the 300 and the related Dodge Magnum:
    "Chrysler's new rear-wheel-drive architecture transfers hemi power to the pavement. Rear-wheel drive offers improved handling, with the front wheels steering and the rear wheels driving."
    http://www.ridedrive.com/05chry-300-0904.html

And, "The 340-horsepower Hemi has to carry 4046 pounds, so it won't run with a Corvette, but it is plenty fast, with a 0-60 time of 6.3 seconds, according to Chrysler."
    http://chrysler.jbcarpages.com/300/2005/
    Motor Trend timed the 2006 Chrysler 300 with a 3.5 V-6 at 7.6 seconds 0-60 mph.
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedan/112_0606_fullsize_sedan_comparison/spe- cs_pricing.html
    Might as well mention this one too:
    The SRT8 is a big sedan with 56 cubic feet of front passenger space and 51 in the rear. It isn't light at 4212 pounds, but at just below 10 pounds per horsepower the SRT8 will bust through 60 mph in 4.7 seconds on its way to a 13.2-second quarter-mile at 109 mph.
    Car & Driver.
    captain2 / joe131: Thanks for the research on the old FWD 3.5 300M. Respectable 0-60 runs at the time. I later added a K&N charger, and while I don't know if it made it quicker, it sure sounded better! ;)
    Thanks for your posts re. the "BH" I too have been tracking this future model and the sketch shown looks pretty nice. I was hoping for more HP in the 8, but this 3.8 / 4.6 combo is obviously aimed to compete with the Infinity "M" series but at "wow" pricing.

My '07 Azera lease expires in 24 months, so I'm licking my chops in anticipation. ;)
  • alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    No and hyundai proves it. Almost all of their cars bare resemblance to other brands. As one hyundai owner said previously- cheap man's benz. from sketch this future car looks like a copy of infinity M. Sonata is a copy of Accord. Common Hyundai, can you make your own designs? Now like i said in one of my previous posts I was helping my MIL with her car and we had a chance to drive both Azera and Sonata. I am sorry to say but both car's interior is at least 2 generations old compared to others. She btw liked Sonata on its short test drive, but interior is way too old. Also 2 dealers we went here in NY sounded like used car dealers.
  • captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    as I mentioned in an earlier post, there seems no doubt that C&D is the king of car abuse. Just like the Camry numbers you report. The Avalon, for example, has been tested as low as 6 flat (by you know who) but generally up into the middle 6s by others. The HP rating overstatement may have to do with some SAE rating rule changes that became effective in 2006, that Avalon 'lost' 12 hp but the engine didn't change. So the 300M HP numbers may be slightly overstated depending on when Chrysler adopted the new SAE standards, but honest HP/lb of vehicle weight remains the most accurate forecast of straight line performance.