Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• captain2captain2 Posts: 3,971
    The Avalon certainly with a recognized name, but 2005 and later neither a recognizable face or even close to same car. When they first came out, the 03/04 Avalon was selling at a rate of about 3000/month, the 05 hit the ground running at closer to 10000/month, it was so 'bad' that many of those early buyers, had to order them, there was some price gouging (by the distributors primarily), and were so hard to get that many folks had to take cars that weren't precisely what they ordered. Kind of a 'take what you can get' situation. Don't think Georgetown, Ky. was prepared for the increased demand despite never promoting the car at all.
    The Azera is not a whole lot different in that it also a vast improvement over the old XG, granted had no name recognition, but also did'nt hit the streets with the same sort of demand as the Avalon. Don't know if some sort of promotional campaign would have helped or not - people buy things like Avalons because they are Avalons, don't know of anything that Hyundai makes that has that kind of following.
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    I still get asked quite frequently what my car is. Most people just aren't used to seeing it. There really aren't that many Avalons around (compared to the midsizers). Azeras are even more scarce, I may see 1 Azera for every 5 Avalons here in Jersey. Like you said the Avalon sells well enough without an ad campaign. If Hyundai wants to go upmarket and sell the Genesis maybe they should start promoting the hell out of the Azera. Make people notice them and realize they just don't make econo boxes. I remember when I went to look at it (Azera), many people who know cars said "Azera" what is that?

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

"both the 500 and the CV are being advertised at $6000.00 off"

Great deals, unless you plan on getting rid of it in 2 - 3 years! Wait until the Taurus is on the lot, and the dealers are trying to get rid of the leftovers. No matter how hard they try, IMO, there will be plenty left.

my last experience - at a state inspection station, the guy writing up the sticker had already written Lexus on the sticker and then asked me what (Lexus) model it was. Bought my Avalon in April 05 and it was many months before I even saw another one on the road, a little more frequent these days - but down here, believe it or not, you see more Altimas than even Camrys or Accords, the Altima may possibly be the most registered sedan amongst all of them. Azeras few and far between, more likely to see a white 'fleet' 500 or Impala than an Azera.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    The Avalon enjoyed the success of years of dependability. Toyota dealers never have an issue with getting people to come through their doors. On the other hand, the Azera being a first year model in 2006, was given no hype before it dropped. Granted it was a huge improvement over the XG, but it wasn't a remake of the car. Of which, also wasn't given much, if any press either.

Hyundai failed and has been failing the best car it's ever created, with a lack of marketing campaign and a seemingly lax approach to customer service. So to compare the demand for the Avalon to the demand for the Azera is apples and oranges.

I know word of mouth can be strong, but it's not strong enough for Hyundai to overcome the past problems it has dealt with. They should know that and they should be putting their best foot forward for their newer vehicles. The Sonata has been enjoying the media, as well as the Santa Fe and Tucson. Another vehicle that's left out in the cold too is the Veracruz they have. Hyundai has a long way to go to learn how to address it's vehicles and what priority to put on them.
    Toyota dealers never have an issue with getting people to come through their doors.
    true - and a good thing I guess because once they get thru those doors they treat them like crap! Just like Honda.
    Azeras are few and far in between in almost any market in the U.S. They are popping up a bit more now in the DC area, but not to where you really see them on a daily basis.

Around here...Altimas are up there with the Camry, Accords and Sonatas. You may see an Azera once or twice a week depending on where you go.

I can't tell you how many times I get the whole BMW thing with my Azera. Before the rims and tint, it was Lexus.
    At the car wash during the winter, the attendent called "White Lexus" I guess thats a good thing! Anyway, up here I would say the Camry is the most popular car on the road. Having three Toyota dealers in a 10 mile radius would do that.

Surprised you would have an inspection already, up here you don't inspect a new car until its 4 years old. Every 2 years after that.

Texas only exempts a new car from inspection for 2 years and annually after that - may have something to do with the mileage we have a tendency to put on cars or keeping money in the State coffers. We do after all, measure distances by the six pack ;) 100 mile or even 200 mile 'commutes are not all that uncommon.
    Here in MD, new cars are exempt from inspection, but after 4 years (I believe) you have to start doing emissions testing. Only time you have to get a car inspected here is if you're buying one used. In VA & DC, cars go through a yearly inspection. It's a hassle, but it forces drivers to keep their cars in some semblance of working order.
    beautiful and apparently a popular color that 'blizzard pearl' BTW. I'm putting a new set of tires on mine today, I'll post some info on this on the Avalon 2005+ site.
    you would think that the 'do-gooders/lawyers' would have a problem with this kind of thing - the folks that can least afford to keep that car in good working order are also the most likely to have the car that's not????
  • alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    Aug 31, 2005 I paid 26500 for maxima with DPP and stability
    Again...it was not a top of the line, fully loaded Max. I paid $26,018 (Feb 28, 2006) for my Azera w/Premium package. Only options I didn't get were seat memory, auto windshield wipers, power pedals and power folding mirrors. The Ultimate package would have only cost me $1500 more, so your claim of your Max costing $3K less than Azera is absurd. Like I said...nice try.

Since you were buying in August you probably got that deal because they were making way for the 2006 models by then.
    You are so right and you would be surprised to see how many cars are riding around with rejection stickers on them! I've learned how much preventive maintenance is worth. A few dollars here, a couple minutes there can be huge!!!
    "apparently a popular color that 'blizzard pearl'

Let me tell you it was fun trying to get that color with the options I wanted.

• hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Let's not be going after lawyers now, this is a car forum. ;)
    Let's not be going after lawyers now, this is a car forum
    it truly is a car forum, yes, but I guess you haven't tried to read your owner's manual lately - there are certainly a bunch of those nasty lawyers riding with you every day. If I'm not mistaken, my Avalon manual even goes so far as to tell me that I can't use my cupholders for a cup of coffee and cautions me strongly about drinking anything while I drive, not to mention those nasty looking airbag warning labels and lights that are there all the time as well- talk about CYA!
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    Went to my Azzy dealer today to get a tire rotation and a freebie 34 point check. I don't know the sales figures for Azera's nationwide, but I do know my dealer sells the most Hyundai's in Colorado. I wanted to see an XM Azera to see where they put the antenna and what the new 600+ watt stereo looks like. (sweet!!!!)

They only had two Azera's TOTAL in stock both 07 Limiteds with XM ($31,190 sticker). The sales manager told me Azzy's were literally being sold as the truck was pulling in. While mine was right at $26K loaded last Nov., the new ones are over $27K, including any rebates and they are selling all they can get.
    this kind of situation would lead to your Azera holding its value in a way perhaps uncharacteristic to Hyundais in general. A good thing! :D
    It was more loaded than your azera. the only option missing was navigation and elite package ( 2 seats in the back). And it was new
  • joe97joe97 Posts: 2,248
    It was more loaded than your azera.

Incorrect. Comparably equipped, Azeras are more bang for the buck PERIOD.
  • pernaperna Posts: 533
    Incorrect. Comparably equipped, Azeras are more bang for the buck PERIOD.

The only similarity between the two is that they are medium-to-large sedans. You may get more options on the Azera for the same money, but you sure won't get the same driving experience.
  • prosource1prosource1 Posts: 234
    Nissan's target buyer is similar to that of the Hyundai Azera buyer. I won't dispute that the Maxima is the athlete of the two. The Max has a superior suspension and Nissans 3.5 VQ is an amazing engine. I know, I owned one. I haven't owned an Azera but drove a rental (3.8 with Ultimate package) for a long weekend. I've gotta tell you that the Maxima doesn't have a huge edge over the Azera. Much of the favorable words I have to say about the Azera is a coupling of expectations exceeded and an overall luxury presentation in the Azera. My point is that the target buyer of both are 45-55 years old. This doesn't mean that a Maxima driver doesn't want sports sedan handling and engine performance but when you look the the skidpad scores, acceleration and braking performance of both, you really don't have a huge advantage in a Maxima, you have a higher price in the Maxima and you get a few more luxury goodies on the Azera. The Azera is a serious offering by Hyundai that has been unfairly relegated to 'honorable mention'. Nissan is returning the Maxima to its true sports sedan roots in the next generation so we know that the redo wasn't working.
  • hardhawkhardhawk Posts: 702
    Someone has to protect you from yourself! You should be duly thankful for and appreciative of the legal profession!
  • floridabob1floridabob1 Posts: 1,190
    I believe that the target market for the Azera is older than 45-55
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    In either case you 've got to feel sorry for those buyers that bought either of these cars earlier in their 'run' - they may have just lost a few thousand themselves (in resale values)

Somehow I doubt it's going to affect the resale value when *I* decide to sell *mine*. :P
    I agree with you , while Maxima is much more flexible than Azera as young and young in heart are buying it(or at least drive one).
    oh suggestion.
    Since this is a car forum lets run a survey.
    Vehicle -
    Owner's age
    driver ages ( since a car might have several drivers)
    let me start
    2005 Nissan Maxima SE
    owner's age - 28 ( me)
    driver ages - 28 and 27 (me and my wife)
    I agree with you, the Maxima seems to have a really broad range of drivers. It fits a lot of people. Having said that I'll answer your survey..

2006 Toyota Avalon XLS
    Only driver is me (28)

As a side note, in 2003 when I bought my first Avalon I was the youngest ever to buy one at my dealer, three years later with the '06 still hold the record.

• azeradaveazeradave Posts: 42
    O K, my turn

vehicle--2006 Azera
    owner's age--52
    driver's ages 52