Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mainstream Large Sedans Comparison

Comments

• alexstorealexstore Posts: 264
    look at edmunds home page on inside line on 2008 accord sedan
  • brucelincbrucelinc Posts: 814
    The EPA counts trunk space in with passenger space for its classifications. "Full-size" begins at 120 cu ft. The new Accord makes the grade. For comparision, a Taurus is 129.2 cu ft.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    LOL, I am willing to accept his figure, of course I once got 27 mpg out of my 2001 Explorer XLT going about 75mph over about 150 miles. Of course, there was a very strong 30+ mph wind due East wind pushing me. If I could have raised a sail, I think I could have made 50mpg. I considered just opening the front doors to see what would happen.

Now coming back the other direction about an hour later, I was thrilled with 12mpg at 65 mph.
    As you can see allmet other Azera owners are beating MPG # so it means you should try it too.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Allmet has already made it clear he doesn't care. That is his prerogative. Not sure why you won't just drop this, but I will now directly ask you to do so.
    Pat

please add on 9/22/7 Honda Accord to this forum
  • dborthdborth Posts: 474
    I disagree. Accord, Camry & Sonata are obviously "mainstream" mid-size. Avalon & Azera are part of the "mainstream" full size. Last time I checked, Honda didn't have a sedan larger than Accord.
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Posts: 1,598
    Since the Sonata has 1.9 more cu ft than the new Accord, do you think the Sonata should be included in the discussion?
    The Accord is being discussed in Midsize Sedans and is typically compared with the other cars there. There is no need to include it here.
    I assume you are being facetious, but no, it does not belong here.

Let's not waste bandwidth by getting into a "what belongs here and what doesn't" argument. There are discussions for every vehicle anyone can imagine and if anybody needs help finding an appropriate one, I'll be glad to do the honors.

Meanwhile, let's talk about the cars at the top of page in this discussion.
  • mike91326mike91326 SoCalPosts: 245
    If you were able to get 35 mpg in the current Maxima, I can't wait to see what the 09 diesel Maxima will get.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Exactly my point, and you want me to believe you can pull 35 on a Maxima with a V-6???

Going down to Florida, cruising at 80 is pretty much moving with the flow of traffic in most cases as there are some stretches where the speed limit is 70. However, to answer your question directly...I didn't pulled over once going down or coming back.

30 mpg in a RAV 4 is far from unthinkable. Afterall, you're talking about a Toyota.
  • allmet33allmet33 Posts: 3,557
    Again, you are not paying attention to my posts...I AM beating the mileage #'s. If I'm getting close to 30 mpg while cruising at 80 is giving me the FE that Hyundai states the car is capable of when they test it at 55 or 60 mph. What part are you not paying attention to?
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    For those unaware...

The EPA dumbs down their test results to take into account real-world driving experiences (speeding up just to be caught by a red light, extra A/C use, heavier loads in the vehicle, etc..)

So, a HWY estimate of 30 MPG may have been 34 MPG before the EPA backed off on the numbers to appease the lead-footed public who couldn't achieve the numbers.

Personally, I typically match the EPA numbers in my 175k mile 12 year old Accord, and beat them in my 2006 Accord. I pay attention to things like traffic light timing and often coast the better part of a stop if it doesn't impede traffic. I'm turning 20 Friday, but I don't drive like it.
  • jaymagicjaymagic Posts: 309
    I know this info is posting in the real world mileage forum also, but I am consistently seeing about 24 mpg in my everyday driving with easy 29-30 mpg cruising the interstate in my Azera. I would hope that virtually all the cars discussed in this forum these days, should be capable of getting similar mileage in normal driving -- not sitting in traffic for hours, with A/C at full blast -- but normal go the store, meet friends, and go to and from work in rush hour traffic (NOT CALIFORNIA RUSH HOUR).
    not sitting in traffic for hours, with A/C at full blast

Is it just me, or does it seem to others that it wouldn't matter if the A/C was set on low speed or high, that it would give the same mileage?

The compressor is working nonstop either way.

Sorry if I'm splitting hairs here, but it seems like that would be the case, true?
    Would you and alexstore give it a rest, already? ;)
  • popsavalonpopsavalon Posts: 231
    Yea, Pat, this thread was getting about as interesting as folks arguing about politics or religion!
  • tjc78tjc78 JerseyPosts: 5,025
    Its just one more aspect to compare the vehicles in the discussion. With today's gas prices MPG should be high on the car buyer's list. Fortunately we are given some nice powerful choices that still are decent on gas. Lets face it, if you are driving anything in this segment FE is not your first concern. If it was you would be looking at a Civic/Yaris manual or a Hybrid.

P.S. Looking back at the posts I guess that I shouldn't have questioned Alex's MPG #'s, stirred up the pot a bit.

1999 Chevy S10 / 2004 Merc Grand Marquis / 2012 Buick LaCrosse

• Isn't MPG for cars going down these days because people want more power now. 10 Years ago, a large sedan had 200 hp and i don't know MPG but now, they have around 250 hp or even more.
    Not at all. My 2003 Avalon had 210 HP, my '06 has 268 and does better all the way around by at least 2-3 MPG. The '06 is also a slightly larger vehicle too. All has to do with engine design, more computer controls, and 5/6 speed trannys.

Isn't MPG for cars going down these days because people want more power now. 10 Years ago, a large sedan had 200 hp and i don't know MPG but now, they have around 250 hp or even more.

I don't see MPG going down, actually. Wondering what cars you are talking about?

1997 Lumina - dohc V6 3.4L 210hp 4speed: 17/26 MPG

1997 Taurus - dohc V8 3.4L 235hp 4speed: 17/26 MPG

2008 Impala - ohv V6 3.9L 233hp 4speed: 18/28 MPG

2008 Taurus - dohc V6 3.5L 260hp 4speed: 18/28 MPG

Yes, I used the V8 Taurus, but mileage is better, and power is better than the top engine in the Taurus, even the V8.
  • scbobscbob Posts: 167
    Thank you Pat! There is a forum for real world MPG. Also, there are far too many variables involved in what each of us gets.
    BTW, the EPA has now changed the way they compute MPG and surprisingly, it is now very close to what Consumer Reports shows as MPG's. CR is still the most reliable source for real world MPG's. They get a standard car off the lot, keep it for three months or so, do all types of tests and then let their employees drive it on a daily, real world basis for a few months.
  • I was talking about other cars.
    '98 VW Passat V6 20/29 MPG
    '07 VW Passat V6 18/26 MPG

'98 LeSabre 3.8 19/30 MPG
    '07 Lacrosse 3.6 19/27 MPG
    Those have higher horsepower and get lower MPG
    The 1998 Passat was a very small car relative to vehicles like the ones in this discussion. It was smaller inside than the '98 Accord and Camry, much less the Avalon. Jumping in size that large makes that argument sort-of hard to make, don't you agree?

The Buick is right, though. The old (and I mean they are OLD) 3.8L had low horses, decent torque, and an extremely tall gearing which gave them good mileage. As a motor, it just isn't compeititve anymore though. Less than 200 horses from nearly 4 Liters of displacement is really bad.
  • Yeah I got it now because the Passat has grown a lot in size and I believe that the current Jetta is a big as the '98 Passat
    Real world gas mileage for sedans

Click on it. Post your mileage. Add it to your tracked discussions.

:shades:
    Sorry if I helped take us off topic... I thought it kind of fit in with the "comparison" part of things. :blush:
  • dh1870dh1870 Posts: 2
    I just took a test drive in the Lucerne and was impressed with the ride. I first drove a cxs with v8 and bucket seats,and the sport suspension. I then drove a stripped cx with the v6 and a bench seat. The v6 had plenty of power for me. It's the same engine that was in my 1985 century t-type. I thought moving such a bigger car would be a problem, but it was enough for me. The bench seat was not comfortable for me, and the buckets were not much better, although with a little adjusting maybe I could get used to it. The biggest problem I had with the car, and it's probably a deal killer was the huge blind spot caused by the A pillar for the windshield. While making a left turn there were cars I couldn't see. The car was also a little low for me. I preferred the standard suspension to the harder sport suspension, but isn't that what we buy Buicks for? :blush:
    Buick is trying hard to change its image, so I think the future will yield slightly firmer riding better handling cars. I will say that the Lucerne is nice but, why would you want one with the 3.8 when you can get the Avalon or Azera that has more power with the same or better MPG. I would give them both a ride. I think you will be impressed. The Azera is a great value (I think some rebates right now too) while the Avalon can get pricey. I have an '06 Avalon XLS that has been flawless in 14K miles and feel it is a good balance of ride, power, and handling (no sports sedan though). It stickered for 34K with most of the bells and whistles, the Limited can get to 38K with everything.