Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs. Infiniti G35

rdl2rdl2 Posts: 6
I am in the market for a new car and was trying to decide between the Infiniti G35 and the Acura TL. Once in the Acura showroom, I was introduced to the TSX and thought for the price differential, this was a pretty good car.

I am torn between the AWD and 6 cylinder drive of the G35 vs. the price point and fun drive of the TSX. I do live in the northeast, so I am also interested in how the TSX does in the snow.

Any thoughts. Thanks.

Comments

• stlcarguystlcarguy Posts: 30
    My wife has had her TSX through 2 winters now with great performance. We live in the midwest and often get atleast a few solid snow and ice storms per year. Her car handled everything just fine. We live on a bluff and have a long hill up to our subdivision and in addition have a steep driveway. The car just trucked right on up them both without fail.
  • rdl2rdl2 Posts: 6
    So, I guess you recommend the car. I'm leaning towards it and just need to be tipped over a bit.
  • stlcarguystlcarguy Posts: 30
    Sorry, I just focused on your "interested in how it does in snow" part I guess :) I definitely recommend it. If it's any indication I just picked up an '06 for myself. I think it's just the best value in the segment. If you really love the G35, go for it. If it really is a toss up though, I think the TSX is best decision.
    Thanks.

It is a toss up and because the TSX was never on my original list, I am having trouble deciding.

But I think you are right. I had narrowed my choice down to the G35, but didn't "love it". I thought it would be a great choice.

But for the price and the style, I'm thinking the TSX will be the choice. And the fact that you assure me that it does well in the snow, clinches the deal.

Thanks again. The TSX it is.
  • scottm123scottm123 Posts: 1,501
    By the way, gdoctsx1, I like your post, #74.
    I see your point about being in Canada, the cost of the vehicle and the amount you need to earn in order to cover the tax and such.
    In the US, we do have it pretty good, when comparing to some others, although I still like to complain.

I also have a home, family w/ kids and a mortgage to deal with.
    I am also at that stage in life where I need to plan for my future (36 yrs old) as well as my kid's.

The G came at just the right time in life.
    I haven't owned a car like this before, or anything near this price range... and may not ever again.
    I sometimes wonder what I was thinking, but I'm enjoying every second of the time I have with this car.

It was a good post and a point well made. ;)
  • You probably bought the car already, but the G35, I believe is rear-wheel drive. So, on acceleration, you could fishtail a bit. The TSX is front wheel so you shouldn't have that probablem as much.
    Thank you for your response. Yes I did buy it already and so far I am very happy with it (although it obviously hasn't snowed yet.)

The G35 I was looking at was actually all wheel drive which I know would have been great in the snow. Hence, that was my dilemma.
  • biker4biker4 Posts: 746
    A future G25 might be a better comparison to the current gen TSX.
  • factfinderfactfinder Posts: 103
    The 1999 Infiniti G20 would be a good comparison.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    The G20 was a good car in it's day, and also occupied a similar, unique "in-between" spot with a touch of luxury, sport, and affordable family practicality.

Unfortunately, with only a 2.0L 140 HP engine, the G20 pales in comparison to the TSX. In fact, thanks to it's added weight, the G20 even paled in comparison to the Sentra SE-R, the car it was based on.

The G20 was also held back by the economy car platform it was built on - it really was nothing more than a dressed up Sentra. The TSX, on the other hand, possesses a high level of refinement because it's built on Honda's midsize platform (Accord, TL, etc.).

I liked the G20 when it first came out, but I owned a Sentra SE-R at the time and couldn't understand why anyone would choose the Infiniti over the Nissan. The Sentra had so much better performance and was comfortable enough for me.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    if you remember the infiniti g20 was actually a car that was applauded by the press as being a good entry level lux car.. As is the Japanese Accord --aka the acura tsx- yes the tsx has 200 hp but this isn't 1998. The TSX is a fantastic car -- looks are great- the interior is TL --the exterior sharp and sporty -- BUT it is not in the same class as the g35 - 306 hp hello-- yes the g35 cost more as it should --its the size of a bmw 530. Ok so why would someone buy a TSX when they could get an accord for less with more power?? well the answer would be to have the Acura badge the service and resale.. so thats why someone would rather have a g20 over the sentra (the se-r was a great car in the day)
    From a sporting perspective, the G20 couldn't hold a candle against the Sentra SE-R.

The TSX, on the other hand is a sporty, responsive, fun-to-drive sedan that blows the Accord away dynamically.

Driving the Accord is like - well, let's just say I'd have more fun clipping my toe nails than I would clipping apexes in an Accord. :P
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,052
    "From a sporting perspective, the G20 couldn't hold a candle against the Sentra SE-R."-- agreed.. but again the sentra did not have a bose radio, leather seats, or infiniti service. The G20 was built for an different customer one who wasn't looking to race..
    "Driving the Accord is like - well, let's just say I'd have more fun clipping my toe nails than I would clipping apexes in an Accord."

And by the time you got to that apex you would be far behind an accord v6 6 speed. :(
    When did we stop comparing G35's and TSX's and start talking about G20's, Sentras and Accords?
    "agreed.. but again the sentra did not have a bose radio, leather seats, or infiniti service."

Agreed.. but again, my response was directed at the comment that the TSX should be compared to the G20. My point is that the G20 sacrificed performance for more luxury, while the TSX increased performance AND luxury.

"by the time you got to that apex you would be far behind an accord v6 6 speed."

Dragstrips don't have an apex...
    Dragstrips don't have an apex

Bringing a TSX to a dragstrip is just like taking a knife to a gun fight.
    The G20 is the conceptual ancestor of the G35 (and arguably one of the first modern Japanese "entry lux" cars based on a more pedestrian platform). Comparing the mission/execution of the TSX to the G20 (and the G20's evolution into the G35) is a valid diversion, in my opinion.

BTW, I don't think the TSX really compares to the G35 anymore. The G35 has moved significantly upmarket (and in my opinion, lost it's appeal).
    BTW, I don't think the TSX really compares to the G35 anymore.

Absolutely.
    This entire thread is absurd.

We're comparing two completely different cars.
    The TSX only has one thing going for it in comparison... price.

And those who choose it for that reason are the types that would never look at the G or likewise to begin with.
    Actually, I would rather own and drive a TSX than a G35. The TSX is a more responsive car that's more fun to drive. The steering has a lot of feel and gives a lot of road feedback to the driver - the clutch and shifter are to die for - and the chassis feels light and tossable.

The G35 is a barge by comparison - a very fast barge, but a barge.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    But the comparo here is on the subject vehicles. Anyone is free to start a different comparo at anytime.

If/when everyone agrees that there is no comparison between the TSX and G35 anymore (if there ever was) and QUITS POSTING here, the topic will die a natural death and we'll schedule the funeral. ;)