Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura TSX vs. Infiniti G35

Comments

• jl114jl114 Posts: 3
    If you don't like the infiniti controller you can still perform a lot of the functions without it. They don't limit you like the idrive. I'm very glad they didn't go for a pop up screen thing, i hate those. If anything, they look ugly!
  • Hi everyonel, I'm new to the townhall.

Currently own an '04 TSX / 36,000 miles with absolutely no major mechanical and/or structural issues....I can't believe how well it holds its resale value too!. However, I get the new car itch every few years and my TSX is on the way out. I understand TSX's and TL's will be redesigned in '09, but I'm not sure I want to wait until then...Hmmm, what to do? . I LOVE the G35 and with AWD (needed where I live) and package options its price is comparable to the TL not the TSX.

I agree with previous posts the better comparison of TSX might be (amongst others) the Lexus IS250 or the Audi A4 2.0.

I'll keep up my new car search ..... I think I have it narrowed down to around 12 different models right now...haha. Keep up the good posts!
  • I like my TSX, but to me it handles bad in the snow at least compared to the G35x model and even other AWD cars because the TSX is only FWD.
  • I was in the same situation. My 05 TSX lease is up about 5months but itching to get out of the car. I switched to a G35xs about two weeks ago and loving it so far.

The infiniti dealer bought out the TSX lease so I'm not responsible for any more payment. I still haven't open up the throttle yet since the car only have 250miles but man I can't wait to drive it everyday. Love the safety of all-wheel drive (I'm from NJ) and the torque of the car. You won't regret it. Almost got into a TL-S but my last Acura and Honda just full of annoying rattles. I came from 4 honda cars before switching to Nissan.
  • mvs1mvs1 Posts: 462
    All three were on my wife and I's short list. We often times compare vehicles that others would not consider in the same class.

I've owned several Hondas and have an 06' Civic as my commuter vehicle, we've owned other Nissans as well, all trouble free.

We opted for the G35XS, the monthly payment was about $100 per month higher than a TL and about $200+ over a TSX, all with identical lease terms 36months, 15,000 miles just inception fees, between $1000-1500.

They all are very capable vehicles. I doubt anyone here could offer incite as to which is better. In my instance we did not want to wait for the redesigned TL and TSX to see which had AWD, and compare, then go through the negotiating process when we had what amounted to an invoice deal on the G35XS.
  • nj2pa2ncnj2pa2nc Posts: 813
    I am a former owner of 2 nissans,bought new and had bad luck with both of them-engines had to be replaced due to defects. (under warranty). They were both quiet (no rattles) but then again so is my 06 tsx 6spd, bought new 11/17/06 with 35,000+miles. The last car that I owned that had awd was a 1998 eagle talon Tsi. It was a great car to drive when there was not too much traffic on route 80 thru the delaware water gap. Otherwise I was just as happy driving a car with FWD. (I am a former jerseyite-bergen, ocean, sussex and warren counties). The g35xs only comes with automatic (not for me). good luck and safe driving.
  • gasnetgasnet Posts: 49
    I own a TL and this should be compared to G not a TSX. A TSX is a girls car.At first i thought this post was a type error (he meant TL)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Posts: 3,118
    I agree, the TL and G are more similar. Both are overweight pavement leviathans best suited for septuagenarians who don't want to feel anything while driving to the Bingo hall.

Enjoy your Buick - er, I mean TL :P
    When my tsx was being serviced I had a 2008 silver TL as a loaner car. I had requested it so I could try it out. I was able to keep it overnight driving 500+miles. It made me love my tsx even more. I am not into automatic so that was a minus and it drove like a "buick". Nothing to brag about except saying yes I drive a "acura". I do see alot more TL's than tsx's in my travels.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    "I do see alot more TL's than tsx's in my travels."

Yeah, me too, by far. That alone is an excellent reason to be driving a TSX. In my case, the other big one is that the TSX has fold-down rear seats standard and the TL doesn't even offer them.

If I end up with one, I guess I'll just have to learn to live with driving a "girly" car, much as I did when I drove my Miata R type.

I can live with it.
    Being a female I guess it is a good thing I have my 06 6spd tsx. My husband loves to drive it, tho. (especially on long trips). He has his hyundai elantra, mitsubishi truck, suzuki bandit 1200 and kawasaki z-1000 motorcycles as his transportation.
  • sweendogysweendogy Posts: 1,111
    is it me or did they ugly these 2 up for 2009? Like the new technology that they added to these cars-- zagats/ real time nav-- but are the 09's better looking then the 08s??
  • I don't get it. The TSX and the G35 are completely different animals. There is NOTHING similar between the two yet people are arguing which is superior? Even the TL and G35 are hard to compare as one is FWD and the other is RWD but at least price and equipment wise it is some what similar. Please stop trying to justify your purchase to someone else, if you're happy with your car that's all that counts!
  • dad23dad23 Posts: 430
    I thought it would grow on me, but I still don't think the new TSX looks very cool, and when I saw pictures of the new TL, I thought what were they thinking? I'm happy to have an 07, the grill on the new TSX/TL is especially overwhelming IMO...
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Please stop trying to justify your purchase to someone else, if you're happy with your car that's all that counts!

Nobody's making you read this! :) ;)

Any news in this forum, guys? With the new TSX out, has anyone recently chosen one over another after comparing the two?
  • The new Acura TL looks just like the Honda Accord.I invite anyone with a newer model TL (2005 - 2009) or TSX to come to Temecula and go head to head with my G35 tiptronic sedan. 0-60 in faster than your Acura. More quality and better leather in all. Anyone who wants a real vehicle, go to your Infiniti dealer. If you buy a used '06, your ahead of the Acura '09. If you buy a new Infiniti, you're even that much more ahead.
    When you arrive in town, just go to the A&W and ask for "Big Daddy." He's never been defeated in the 4-door V-6 slushbox class.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,244
    Well, Mr. two-posts, you've certainly got an interesting way of getting acquainted on a board.

These days, many people care about fuel mileage, as well as performance. BMW, Honda/Acura, Audi & others appear to be able to address that concern.

Infiniti, not so much.

I have a Pathfinder in the garage downstairs as I write this. It's got the same engine your car has, one very well suited to a truck. I've been driving Nissan engines since '73 & very much enjoy them, but this "my dad can whip your dad" stuff doesn't move the conversation forward in a very productive way, IMNHO.
    I am glad you are as happy with your automatic g35 as I am with my 06 6MT tsx, bought new 11/17/06. It has almost 66,000 problem free miles.
  • This is the thing that bothers me about car enthuasiasts! The statement above by cdnpinhead. He compares a Nissan engine to a G35. Same enigne? Yeah. Same specs? I don't think so! Does anyone else in this message board find anything funny about that? Hey buddy, I'm sure your Nissan engine is tuned the same as the G35! I'm sure it has the same tranny! It's probably even got the same HP Tiptronic tranny. Your Pathfinder probably even weighs the same as my G35. Bring your Pathfinder and I will finish the 1/4 before you're even half way there. Besides I thought you guys were talkin about Infiniti/Acura, not Infiniti/Slow SUV weren't you?

NO COMPARISON!
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Hey, hey, hey. We are comparing the TSX to the G35 here and if you have respectful input to this conversation, you are welcome to participate. We're not into declarative dismissals of others' opinions as worthless. Others are entitled to their opinions just as much as you are entitled to yours. Chest-beating confrontation isn't helpful.

Why don't you tell us what you like about your G35 and then we'll go from there.
  • sjaievesjaieve Posts: 252
    Oh, I will start.

-Its fast, really really fast :)
    If my 06 tsx were to beat your g35 (the g35 will win) I would return it for a refund. I did not buy my car to race. I was more interested in gas mileage, comfort, and reliability. The tsx is all that for less money. I average 30,000+ miles a year. Why would I want to buy a used gs when I can buy a new acura.
    That is just the beauty of the G35, mine is an 08. It offers reliability, interior room, lots of tech, its really fast, very comfortable, the list goes on. I would not compare the pricing of the G with the TSX though cos it would not make any sense, the G has everything the TSX has to offer, and then some. Contrast the G with the 335i & IS350. Its way cheaper than those cars. Also, comparing fuel consumption of a 3.5l V6 with a 2l 4 banger would not make sense either.
    I can say the same thing about my 06 6MT tsx/wnav. (except for the really fast part but it can get you a speeding ticket). I am very pleased with my car after two years of ownership (bought new 11/17/06). It now has almost 66,000 problem free miles. I must say I would consider getting an infiniti way before a BMW or Lexus. Plan on keeping my tsx at least one more year (should be at 100,000 miles by then)
    In my opinion, while the G is a nice car and 'quantitatively' beats the TSX in a number of areas, I would argue that the TSX wins from a 'qualitative' point of view.

Honda (and Acura) cars possess a refinement and elegance in their ergonomic design, control smoothness, material quality, driveline precision, airy cockpits, etc. that cannot be measured but is certainly superior to most other cars in the category.

When you sit in the TSX, you feel good. The controls are in the perfect place and move with teflon-coated precision. The engine revs like a sewing machine and sounds/feels smooth and turbine-like. The transmission and clutch operate with snick-snick precision - no balkiness in the driveline. The TSX is finishing school polished.

Compared to the TSX, the G35 is a little rough around the edges. It feels more assembled from the parts bin rather than the Gestalt of the TSX. The cockpit is a cacophony of shapes and textures. The driveline is relatively unrefined. Yes it goes fast and turns sharp, but in my opinion, it's not as enjoyable to drive.
    Enjoy your ride. I guess one thing is for sure, we both are enjoying our rides and I guess this are two good cars that provide great value.

All the best with the rest of your miles to 100k :)
    More power to you man, if thats how you feel thats good. I will keep my feelings to myself on this one :D
    As it happens, I'm not loyal to either marque (I don't own an Acura or an Infiniti), and although I've owned Nissan's and Honda's in the past, I have no plans to own either one in the future.

No need to keep your feelings to yourself. I'm sure everyone would be pleased to hear why you prefer the G35 and some of it's qualities that appeal to you.

There are great reasons to choose either one - it's feelings, rather than logic, that lead one to make a choice in this segment.
    To be frank, I am not loyal to any brand. I will get what gives me the most bang for the buck. I will admit, I now realize this comparison is rather pointless. If we all look at the big picture, only one of these cars has been compared to the 335i, IS350 (even the Acura TL) and has come out on top on some of those comparisons.I have even come across people who have cross shopped the G with the A6, M3, 528/535i, some (certainly not all) deciding to get the G instead. To then turn around and wear blinkers to compare the G with the TSX, I doubt anything useful will come out of this. I will resign on this note.