Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DODGE DAKOTA QUAD CAB

Comments

• rjayrjay Posts: 15
    I am about to order a new quad cab and need help
    deciding between full time AWD and Part Time 4WD.

I assume that the gas mileage would be worse with full time AWD and that future repairs might be more costly as a result. Therefore I'm leaning toward the Part time 4WD. Won't really be towing anything, but I do live in the mountains (9000ft) so we get a lot of snow. Also think I'm leaning toward the 3.92 ratio axle for mountain driving.

Anyone have any input on this issue??

Thanks!
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Reed, I have never been an advocate of full time 4WD, and other than Quadratrac used in the Jeep, I cannot fathom why anyone would want it. At 9000 feet, you may need the extra grunt afforded by the 3.92 as there will be some power loss due to the breathing ability of the engine. You failed to mention which engine you were considering, but all of the engines would experience some minor power shortage at that altitude. You are correct that the full time 4WD will consume more fuel and could add extra cost if repairs were needed, but premature tire wear could also be a significant factor. This is only my personal opinion.

Bookitty
  • Hey folks, considering a buy on 2001 16x8's. Would just like to verify that there will be no problem placing on my 2000 slt with tow package.
    thanks in advance.
    makomako
  • rjayrjay Posts: 15
    I am about to order an 02 Quad Cab, 4.7, auto, whl pkg, and am deciding between the two axle ratios. I don't plan to haul or tow much, but I do live in the mountains (9000ft) and do a lot of mountain winter driving. I'm concerned about fuel economy but have read in earlier posts that there isn't much difference between the two (less than 1mpg) in that respect. I'm also considering the ltd slip diff. ANy input from this group is appreciated.

Thanks
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Posts: 4,085
    (marellano9324)
    Should bolt right up... Just make sure that the overall diameter of the tires does not change. Otherwise the onboard computer will need to be re-programmed to assure proper operation of the ABS system.
  • maceymacey Posts: 59
    This has been discussed many times in the past and I'm still confused on exactly how AWD works and what wheels are being driven with perfect traction and what wheels are being driven with bad traction...so, here we go again, I'm sure someone can verify the below: (sorry for asking again)

AWD with perfect traction: only one rear wheel is driven, as there is no full time split of torque between front and rear, right? (if so, no extra tire wear?)

AWD with perfect traction and limited-slip: Are both rear wheels ALWAYS provided torque full time?
    (If so, some extra tire wear but part-time 4WD with limited-slip would also have more tire wear?)

AWD mode with bad traction: the wheel or wheels with the least traction, regardless of it being front or rear, get all the torque? It is possible in certain situations, for wheels on one axle to get the same amount of torque applied or even for all 4 wheels to get the same amount of torque?

Ok, I've got AWD, from my experience in the rain, it's doing something right: pouring rain, red light turns green, right foot floors it, no wheel spin, a great launch, being thrown back into the seat...can a DAK in 2WD (or in just sloppy enough conditions that don't warrent 4WD) do this? Don't think so, hence to me, AWD is a benefit in regards traction and a sense of safety...re: wear and tear and/or replacing AWD parts, I'd be surprised if I keep the truck past it's standard warranty.

Please correct me if I'm wrong or mislead re: anything above.

Thanks...
  • I have both a 3.55 rear and a 3.92. (97 and 01 SLT CC) My personal opinion is get the 3.92 with LSD. It puts the engine in good power bands so you have good pickup in the hills and LSD pays for itself on any slick surface. 3.55 is good if you are always on the highway.
  • Talking about more torque or less to individual wheels can be confusing but on a Dakota it's nothing fancy and there is no real magic to it .

1. AWD has a diff. in the front axle a diff in the transfer case and a diff. in the rear (non lsd )
    this allows any 1 of four wheels to spin at a different speed then the rest. If one wheel is off the ground or on ice the other three wheels all get that same amount of force as applied to the the one with least traction. This is just like a hydraulic system where pressure is equal in all directions. An awd will spin a minimum of one wheel at one time

2. Part time 4wd gets rid of the diff in the transfer case, this forces the front and rear driveshaft to have to turn at exactly the same speed. The force will be equal between the front two wheels. The force will be equal between the rear two wheels but if one front wheel is off the ground and spinning at least one of the rear wheels will have to turn also. This causes problems if the front and rear wheels are not all exactly the same size. The axle with the larger tires will have to spin (slip) in order to match the speed of the axle with the small tires . This would cause awful tire wear on dry pavement hence the name part time 4wd. Don't use it on dry pavement. A part time 4wd will spin a minumum of 2 wheels at one time.

3. LSD. forces both rear tires to turn at roughly the same speed. If one tire is smaller than the other the larger tire will be forced to spin to match the speed of the other. A part time 4wd with lsd will spin a minimum of three wheels at one time even if one is off the ground.

Clear as mud now, I hope this helps somewhat.
  • I have a '00 QC with AWD. I generally love AWD vehicles and have had quite a bit of experience with different types of 4WD set-ups with my last 6 or so 4WD equipped vehicles. Those 4WD systems ranged from simple part time set ups to very sophisticated torque splitting systems.

I have been very happy with the simple AWD system on the QC. However, if I were to do it again, I would probably opt for the 3.92 rear axle and part-time 4WD, partially to save gas (though going with the 3.92 may offset the fuel savings somewhat), but mostly to derive the utmost power and driving pleasure from my 5.9L engine. I particularly feel as if the AWD system is robbing me of power through the corners and off the line during dry conditions.

I note that on a rainy day, I can floor it and I will not get any tirespin whatsoever. But one could just as easily engage the part-time 4WD on a rainy day and get the same results.

Just my $0.02. Good luck on whatever you decide!

'00 Quadcab SLT+ Garnet Red 4x4 (AWD) 5.9L 46RE 3.55 LSD. For list of modifications to my QC, see my profile:

http://www.twistedbits.net/WWWProfile/dakota/Vof5jrNb0pR1M/

For pictures of my QC & Accessories: http://www.geocities.com/txqc2000
  • ayrowayrow Posts: 99
    Ok, I am going to post this in a couple places in hopes that somebody out there knows the answer to this.

I bought a nice car alarm for my truck which should arrive any day.

It comes with a key fob that will take the place of my existing one and unlock and lock my existing automatic locks (no factory alarm).

Here are my questions..

1.) Does the 2001 QC have positive locks, or negative?

2.) Where is the best/easiest place to tap into these wires to activate them?

3.) What color are the wires?

Thank you guys! I hope somebody out there has the answer so I don't have to go wire-hunting for hours.

Ayrow

http://www.ayrow.com/truck.html

• I personally think it looks good. I don't have a truck -- yet (still in the lurking, looking, and BEGGING stage). Whatever I get may have to be used for car-pooling so I am definitely looking at the QC. Unfortunately, no matter what brand I purchase, I have to have an automatic -- my lovely and talented wife is a "left-foot-braker" thanks to my mother-in-law. I have tried repeatedly to teach her to drive a stick, but she refuses. Good thing she gives me an adequate allowance or I would trade her in. Yeah, right!
  • Hi guys & gals. I just visited my local dealer here in Philly. He had a left over 2001 Dak Quad Cab, 2x2, 4.7L Silver Motorsports edition. Very eye catching! I can get a good deal, but I'm a little worried that the truck would be a handful in the snow. Does anyone out there have experience with this truck in the snow? Should I just wait for better rebates and acquire a 2002?

I also found a left over 2001 Dak QC 4x4, but it was a 3.9l V6 which felt very under powered. Granted I drive a 2000 Dodge Intrepid R/T daily, I didn't think the V6 Dak would be that sluggish.

Thanks for any input!
  • Yo Philly, would not recommend the V6 with that size truck, way under powered. You live in Philly, so you do not get enough snow to warrant 4X4, waste of $$$$$$. But definately get the anti-slip rear for the occasional snow. I think I know what dealer you went to, #1 dodgeland, does that sound familiar? How about this, in beautiful Roxborough!, am I close? Just make sure you get what you want and nothing less, make them find the vehicle you want. Especially if you are pre-approved from your own bank with check in hand-----I would not recomend going with the check though-----you may end up with an impulse-buy, I would leave the check at home and go with your own bank or credit union(better rates) for the finance-----if you have to finance.
  • I just saw a new 2002 QC at my local dealer and notice the the HP ratings on the 4.7L are down to 230, was 235 last year. Torque remains unchanged. Also, the highway mileage rating for the 4x4, 5 speed are down to 18 MPG, it was 19 MPG last year. It's not encouraging when both the HP and MPG go down.
  • You are very perceptive. You from the area? I don't know if the truck has the anti-slip rear but I could add that later right?
    (exocet) These specification changes are due to the addition of the "Border state emmissions" Package" with its tripple-catalysts. Also some PCM re-programming that addresses idle and pinging concerns have bearing on this too.
  • You could add limited slip later however there are two reasons not to add it later instead of buying it now.
    1) Most dealerships can't set up a rear end properly. Your get improper meshing of the pinion/ring gear and resulting rear end whine.
    2) More important you will probably pay $500 or more for addon limited slip as opposed to factory $245 (what it was in 2000).
  • biglucybiglucy Posts: 140
    Hey Gang,

Sorry for the prolonged absence . I took a trip to Bolivia for a few weeks and came home to find out that the Fiancee found a house in Hatboro for us to buy -there goes my truck accessory money!! See what happens when you leave the Woman alone for a few weeks?!? Work has been all consuming and I'm pulling in another Graduate class this semester . Big Lucy has been running great! At 8000 miles I FINALLY got a chance to get in a long test drive to the Adirondacks over Labor Day weekend for some great hiking. We burned up the NJ-NY highways, taking only 6 hours to get 380 miles from Philly to Keene Valley, NY. MPG was 20-21!!! EZ Pass Rules! I hope all is well with my good friends and new friends here on the board after a very long week.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    and you told me. Now I am wondering of there is a medium lucy?
  • txyank1txyank1 Posts: 1,010
    for a lot years with no posi-track rear end. Of course I didn' t have the horsepower that tday's pick-ups have. Still, I think if you put 300-400 lbs. in back and use common sense (no lead feet) I doubt you'd have any problem. BTW.....I drove my full sized x-cab 285 hp (5.3) Sierra to Ft. Worth over the weekend and got 20.9 mpg. (225 miles in 3.5 hrs) That's the main reason I shied away from a Dodge. The 4.7 is certainly an improvement, but they still need to do better on mpg. Do like that Dakota QC tough!
  • tjumptjump Posts: 14
    I know not how the truck "decides" whether or not to deploy bags, but I will say that the crunch of impact from the accident was exceedingly minimal from my and my wife's point of view - there was almost no loss of velocity on my part. Keep in mind that it was wet Austin roads, and thus very slick. That plus the mass ratios involved (my truck vs the other) and I can only guess that we did not suffer enough deceleration to activate the bags. Personally, I'm glad they didn't as I'm sure my wife would have been hurt by the bags deploying as she had reflexively put out her arms to catch herself. Maybe someone on-board know knows about how these things work better can comment?
  • bobs5bobs5 Posts: 557
    John,
    See my profile for my truck's setup.

For your concerns, I would recommend at least the following:
    Get the V8, not the 6 cly.
    Get the antislip rear.

I have 4x4 on my truck. Drove the truck all winter here in NJ, and did not really need to engage the 4x4 system. It was engaged a couple of time on some icy snow packed roads. The ABS brakes also kicked in a couple of times during the winter drives and saved me from sliding into a curb or other vehicles. I do like to have the 4x4 system in case of deep snow conditions, or muddy conditions which I encounter on fishing/camping trips. The Quad Cab has a decent weight ratio towards the rear axle so adding additional weight in the back was not necessary for me.

Its up to you what particular options to get will be most useful you your needs. The cost of options will be lower when they are ordered with the truck, as opposed to getting them added later.

Good luck and let us know what you decide,
    Bob
    and unfortunately our Little Lucy (House Rabbit) passed away a couple months ago from uterine cancer. To all you House Rabbit Owners out there (and I know there are ALOT that come to Edmunds), please spay your rabbits!!!!

p.s. Little Lucy's MPG was incredible, she could go forever on some carrots and alittle kale :)
  • Sorry to hear about your bun. I also am a house rabbit person and have seen my share go bye-bye. It's amazing how much these little critters can give you. My special girl Rachel was 12 years old and she knew it was time, she looked through the house for me and she died in my arms. She wanted to be with me at the end. Where else can you find that kind of love?

Right now I have 4 rescue rabbits. All are doing fine. Yes I spay and neuter for obvious reason and the uterine cancer problem.

Anyone looking for a great house pet I highly recommend rabbits. Of course sheck out the house rabbit society web pages first. Don't need anymore rabbits in shelters.
    Ray,

An extraordinary story. Those little furry beings can be very special. Most people don't realize that they are as clean and as clever as cats, but rabbits form a much stronger bond with their human counterparts, once you are accepted into their warren. We just adopted Henry from the house rabbit society because our other rabbit, Junior - seemed to be very depressed after Lucy's death. I'm happy to announce that Junior and Henry are getting along fantastically! You haven't lived until you see a rabbit do a "flip" when they are extremely happy, it's almost trancelike, with the rabbit laying on its back, belly to the air, and the nose going a mile a minute from sheer rabbit "bungasm".

And they fit quite nicely in the QuabCab too! Imagine pulling up to a QC and having a rabbit looking over at you from the passenger seat!!!
  • bookittybookitty Posts: 1,303
    Bob, first you tell me that bunnies are as clever as a kitty, and now you tell me that they must ride in the passenger seat. "Boo, pull over at the next corner, I want to jump out and pick up some milk and bread."

Bookitty
  • When will Dodge offer the 100,000 mile tune-up schedule on their Dakotas??? Seems funny as the competition offer it....Improve MPG as well
  • My clutch pedal on my 2001 Quad is acting up. When I depress it or let it up, it makes a moaning sound that I can feel through my foot. Sometimes it sticks a little when releasing. Everything shifts OK. I thought it was the pedal shaft or hydraulic cylinder needed lubing. Found out the noise comes from within the Bell housing of the tranny. Sounds like something is rubbing in there or not lubricated properly. My guess is something in the fork. Anyone else have any clutch pedal problems. Going to dealer next Wednesday to be told it is normal. They should just make a recording and answer the phone with that response.
  • mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    if its coming from the bell housing area, my guess is the clutch release bearing (throw out bearing to us midwesterners) is going bad. There is also a pilot bushing in there too and it may be the culprit.
    Dads old D-200 had a moaning clutch for years until finally the throw out bearing gave up the ghost and then we had a whole new clutch put in.
    Ill bite.... how does a 100K mile tuneup improve MPG?

In reality... there is NO SUCH THING as a 'tune up' on todays engines... There are no points to adjust, No dwell to set, no timing to adjust, No mixture settings, No Idle adjustment, No valve clearances to check, No clutch freeplay to set, No manual brake adjustments,..... virtually NOTHING that needs periodic adjustment.

The only people that "sell" tuneups are the ones that want you to spend money for somting that IS NOT NEEDED.

Heck... even SPARKPLUGS last longer than the tires on todays vehicles.
This discussion has been closed.