Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord High Mileage Success Stories

Comments

• Some have told me that with these newer engines, it's not necessary, yet it's a habit that i continue to do.

The best way to warm up an engine is moderate driving (say - under 3,000 RPM). You don't waste gas idling, and you aren't going to hurt a thing.
  • Looking at the 6-cylinder model owner's manual, if normal conditions apply, then change the oil every 7,500 miles. If severe conditions apply, then change the oil every 3,750 miles. Question is, what is severe? Over the years, i've gotten into a habit of changing the oil every month. I've yet to use the synthetic type, for which i could extend that out to every 10,000 miles. And wonder about changing over to the synthetic oil at this point?

Per oil oxidation. The filter doesn't remove the affect of oxidation, thus possible sludge formation, additive depletion, base oil breakdown, filter plugging, acid number increase, corrosion, thermal oil cracking, all of which can increase fuel consumption. To me, changing the oil isn't difficult, nor takes a lot of time, nor is it expensive, thus well worth doing regularly. Each time that i fuel up, i log the miles per gallon and note what type most of the driving was, thus helping to decide how soon to do an oil change, if miles per gallon is less than other comparable drives. In sales, for tax reasons, it's necessary to keep a log of one's driving, thus it's become a habit.

Blane, we get more oil from friendly Canada than we get from the Middle East. And the problems that the U.S. is having with the Middle East is the result of our political leadership, thus once we get a new president who doesn't confront every major oil producing nation in the world with hostility, that situation could improve. Have a nice day.
  • Thank you "thegraduate". I do watch the RPM's while driving, to get better mileage. I live in a hilly area, thus when first starting out, i could reach 3,000 RPMs, yet it would fall back down, thus wouldn't stay that high. I'll try it. Though when i'm warming the car up, i'm also setting up that driving log for the day, making sure that the windows are clear of dew, listening to the radio traffic report and have a little quiet time with the Lord that i find good for the soul.
  • blufz1blufz1 Posts: 2,045
    Thanks again for the benefit of your experience. There is always much to be learned from any success story. My Honda service manager told me to let my engine warm for about 10 to 20 seconds prior to driving off. I start my engine when I hop in, then fasten and adjust the seat belt,etc. before driving off. Try to drive moderately w/ no a/c till the temp gauge begins to moving. Turn the a/c on at my next stop. Interesting observation re mpg drop and oil change being due. I "seem" to have noticed this too, not sure yet. Thanks.
  • You neglect to tell us how many miles you average a month. You also seem to equate the quality of today's oil with that of "over the years". Oil has improved greatly in recent years. Changing oil every 2K miles would be a waste. Every 4K, not.(in my opinion) You should check out the expert info on BITOG. I've extended my intervals some after becoming more informed. Still, it is your right to do what you want. However, if everybody changed their oil every month regardless of need, the price of oil would be driven up affecting all of us.
  • alykalyk Posts: 14
    IF you read his earlier post, you would have seen he drives 1K per week.

And that means he changes his conventional oil at 4 - 5k ... very reasonable, so he is not wasting oil.

I too drive a lot and change my Mobil One every 3 - 5K depending on usage.

So I dont think he is wasting any oil.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    Isn't a major selling point in using Mobil One, or any other synthetic, that it does not have to be changed as often as dinosaur oil? It sure seems like a total waste of money, natural resources and effort to change it at half the manufacturer's suggested interval.
    Naaaaagh! The point is it's a better oil for your engine. Less likely to sludge,quicker flow,etc. I'm lucky, I've managed my miles down to 7500 a year, so the cost is less of an issue for me.
  • alykalyk Posts: 14
    Actually I look at the oil to see if it is dirty... I drive it EXTREMELY rough... but before you see how much oil/ gas i consume, I AM DRIVING A CAR THAT GETS 22 miles per gallon with the way i drive. And i have gotten 10K from the oil, but it was NASTY~~ so i decided to go ahead and maintain my engine, so that i do not have to replace it.

I would think an engine in the junkyard would be more of a waste than to use extra oil/ gas from the middle east.
  • How did you get a full ride to college. Which college was it. I am looking at a 200,000 bill for my son. any advice? :cry:
  • thegraduatethegraduate Posts: 9,731
    Haha...

Well, my schoarship was based on my ACT Score (28) combined with High School GPA, which was 4.25. I go to the University of Alabama at Birmingham, an excellent medical and nursing school. Our University Hospital is the only Level I Trauma Center in the state of Alabama!

That's the end of my UAB commercial. :) I love the school though!
    Cold starts produce 70% of all engine wear. So minimizing cold starts minimizes wear!! We all need to work on combining errands,etc., so that we increase the ratio of warm starts to cold starts. Let's get some posts in here to help us all someday have a high mileage story. So, that's my high mileage tip for the day. Fewer Cold Starts! Got a high mileage tip?
  • To "thegraduate"...WAR EAGLE and Merry Christmas! I have been lurking across the Accord forums since 2004 and have enjoyed thegraduate's posts (especially mpg). Good school choice, may I never need your services :sick:

On longevity, I own two vehicles...a 99 Jeep Wrangler and a 96 Grand Caravan. I am heading out with cash in hand to hopefully buy an 07 EX-L 4cyl AT tomorrow. Wish me luck as it has been a long time coming. Anyway, in the van's 3.3 V6 I have run Castrol 5W30 with changes at 3500 miles (fram filters) and have 142K miles with no leaks, noises or internal engine issues. On the Jeep 4.0 in-line 6, I run 10W30 Mobile 1 synthetic and change it at 3500 miles (Fram filters). At 95K miles no internal engine issues and runs like a top.

Why not run the synthetic longer? I really do drive off-road where the engin can run for 12 hours, only travel 25 miles and eats dirt. Also, I have seen the inside of a Jeep in-line 6 (which turns a fraction of the RPMs of most other engines) run on conventional oil and the sludge blocked oil passages caused gasket failures, etc. I do not expect I will have the same issues with the Accord 2.4 I4 and plan to run Mobile 1 for 5K between fill ups. I don't think Mobile 1 synthetic is imported from the Middle-East so that should passify those who believe...sorry, wrong forum.

On my Jeep I also run synthetic in the axles and transmission. Anyone running synthetic in the Accord tranny/transaxle (maybe it is required...don't know)?

Another item I keep regular tabs on is intake cleaning. I had a mechanic friend of mine take the time to remove my intake prior to and after running a B&G intake and injector cleaning on it. Before, it looked like black mold growing in it. After, there were a few black spots in the corners is all. Sold me.

Hope to report back in a few days that I am a Honda owner. :shades:
    Ha, well Merry Christmas to you, and ROLL TIDE (Go Blazers as well!)

I think you'll LOVE the Accord - I really love mine the more I own it. :)
  • This car has over 224,000 miles on it and I am the original owner. Nothing special done with respect to maintenance. I get the oil changed every 5,000 miles and follow the owners manual maintenance schedule, gotta love Honda's.

I have a local ASE certified mechanic do all the work. The only things he can't do in his shop (tranny flush and valve adjustment) I get done at the dealership. My mechanic is amazed with this car, no fluid leaks of any kind and it hasn't started burning any oil yet.

This is an Alaskan commuter car, with a daily round trip of just over 100 miles. With 4 Nokian Hakka studded tires this car will handle everything an Alaskan winter throws at it.

I keep looking at new ones (Acura TL and 08 Accord EX-L V6) but can't bring myself to get rid of this car.
    How many valve adjustments have you needed? What prompted them?

I have a 1996 4-cyl Accord that has never needed an adjustment (not that it hasn't had a few repairs!). It has been a terriffic car, and I can't get rid of it either.
  • Actually I look at the oil to see if it is dirty... I drive it EXTREMELY rough... but before you see how much oil/ gas i consume, I AM DRIVING A CAR THAT GETS 22 miles per gallon with the way i drive. And i have gotten 10K from the oil, but it was NASTY~~ so i decided to go ahead and maintain my engine, so that i do not have to replace it.

I would think an engine in the junkyard would be more of a waste than to use extra oil/ gas from the middle east.
  • I had them adjusted at 172K. I was getting a check engine light coming on and it turned out the catalytic converter had failed, the dealer needed to do that replacement not my usual mechanic.

As part of the diagnostics to clear the check engine light they also found that I was getting misfire codes on all 6 cylinders, and when they checked the valves they were "tight".
    Thanks for responding.
    I always park in a drive thru parking lot space. I just put it in drive to leave and drive forward out of the space. I don't have to engage reverse to back out of the parking space and then shift into drive to go. One less transmission shift that way. Maybe my auto trans will last longer.
  • twa727twa727 Posts: 22
    I drive a 1993 Accord EX with 189,865 miles to date. I bought it five months ago and have had no trouble since. I have a few things coming up such as the timing belt and new CV boots, but all normal wear things. I am very satisfied with my Accord, she burns not a drop of oil and purrs like a kitten!
  • I'm lookin at one at a dealership. They're charging $9991 for 103,629 miles. Am I getting a good deal there. I'm a bit of a novice. What kinds of questions should I be asking the dealer? I just know that Hondas are known for their longevity :)
  • catmikecatmike Posts: 35
    Okay... you have thrown a pebble upon the "good deal" pond - the ripple woke me up.

Suggestions: (1) go to Consumer Reports and read ALL about buying a used car (2) Find an honest professional mechanic - there are many - but one that work on Hondas. (3) Look at cars being sold by individuals such as your neighbors, fellow workers or students - and non dealer, private party Ads in the newspapers. Beware of Street Wholesalers who are pretending to sell their "sister's" car. You can tell them apart from private parties because their cars are too clean, too polished and you can eat off the engine it's so clean.Also the brake pedals are worn at 28,000 miles (impossible in reality) and the odometer was broken and he has replaced it. Plus they push you. (4) Look at a bunch of cars, pick the best and take it to the mechanic - he'll charge a reasonable fee to check the car out. The seller won't let you take it to a mechanic? You no buy car. (5) Check all the online price books and find out what Kelly Blue book thinks the value is ... check four professional sources. You get a price bracket for the car - that in turn sets up your offering price. And, one last thing (you'll probably have done all this anyway) buy a short term CARFAX subscription. A beautiful, "one owner" car I almost bought had in fact been owned by a rental company, been leased twice and been passed around to three dealerships. CARFAX saved me thousands. Good Luck :)
    Strikes me as a little high. Timing belt is due for replacement,plugs,etc,maybe $1200-1500 in maint. You could get a new civic for not too much more.
    Curious as to thoughts on raising the hood to more quickly dissipate underhood heat. I pop the hood to let the heat escape more quickly when I get home and my car seems "hot". Any one doing this and have an opinion if this is beneficial?
  • kiawahkiawah Posts: 3,666
    That would be totally unnecessary. If heat buildup was a concern you'd see instructions in the manual, and vents in the hood.
    Thanks for responding before I bought the Hood Vent kit. Lol. I'm sure you are generally correct.....But all that heat can't be good for some components. I just occasionally pop the hood in summer when I get in from towing my bass boat if the thermo controlled fan is on.
  • bepickbepick Posts: 8
    I now have just over 226,000 miles on my v6 2004 Accord. I continue to change the oil every 4 weeks after driving about 4,000 miles. The car is still running fine.

One thing that i've noticed is that using the RainX type of windshield washer fluid really helps when it rains, that i don't have to utilize the wipers nearly as much. The rain just beads off of the windshield.

I would like to find a new driver's side carpet mat that is reasonably priced. Honda would rather sell a set, versus just one mat. Perhaps a junk yard may be the place to find it.

I wanted to top off my coolant recently and compared the various types of coolants available. I found myself walking out of a store recently and seeing someone else adding Prestone to their Honda, for which i suggested there may be harmful silicates and borates in Prestone that could reduce the life of a Honda cooling system and water pump. Thus at that point i knew that i had made the decision to visit the Honda dealer, to buy coolant made specifically for my Accord.

Per the discussion of heat under the hood. When i stop to buy gasoline, i always raise the hood, not just to check fluid levels, yet also to hopefully let some of that heat dissipate. Thus i keep the hood up till i'm ready to drive off.
  • elroy5elroy5 Posts: 3,741
    I now have just over 226,000 miles on my v6 2004 Accord.

Wow! My 03 V6 only has 56k right now. Have you had any problems with the car? How often have you had the transmission fluid changed? It may be a look into my future.
  • bepickbepick Posts: 8
    Elroy5... Looking at the owner's manual, under normal conditions one doesn't change the transmission fluid till 120,000 miles. Yet under severe conditions, one changes the transmission fluid, first at 60,000 miles, then every 30,000 miles. A transmission drain and fill doesn't cost that much, or take much time to do, as compared to what transmission work could cost, thus better to change the fluid according to the severe schedule.

I've had to replace the air conditioning core and also get a new power steering pump. Living in the Southeast where it's mostly hot, one uses the air conditioner year round. I've been driving Honda's since 1986 and getting 200,000 plus miles on each car, yet this is the first one that i had to replace the power steering pump.
This discussion has been closed.