Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Kia Spectra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

13»

Comments

• A dealer is ready to offer me $14.5K for Spectra EX. That is after $1500 rebates.

After reading the other forums like the Spectra5 prices, is this a good deal? I have a hunch that it will not be.

Can someone share how much they pay for their 2007 SPectra EX or SX?
  • I’ve been hunting and hunting for a 2007 Spectra LX with the convenience package and automatic. I’ve contacted at least 6 dealers, and the best price I can get is $18,861.30 (CAN) inclusive of fees and taxes. This includes the trade of my 1998 Toyota Corolla with 140000 km. I can’t believe some of the prices I’ve seen posted in this and other forums. Even with the exchange rate, US buyers are getting amazing deals! The reason I am looking now is due to the great financing on offer. I really like the Kia and will likely take the plunge tomorrow. If any Canadians are reading, let me know how badly I’m getting ripped off!

PW
  • Sorry, I posted this in the wrong area originally.

I’ve been hunting and hunting for a 2007 Spectra LX with the convenience package and automatic. I’ve contacted at least 6 dealers, and the best price I can get is $18,861.30 (CAN) inclusive of fees and taxes. This includes the trade of my 1998 Toyota Corolla with 140000 km. I can’t believe some of the prices I’ve seen posted in this and other forums. Even with the exchange rate, US buyers are getting amazing deals! The reason I am looking now is due to the great financing on offer. I really like the Kia and will likely take the plunge tomorrow. If any Canadians are reading, let me know how badly I’m getting ripped off!

Since I posted the original message, I have purchased the vehicle. So, if you think I got a lousy deal ($16,545 CAN plus applicable taxes) don’t tell me!

As the title for this discussion includes “…and buying experience” I thought I would relate my buying experience. In a word, awful. In fact, the experience was so bad I started doubting my choice of vehicle and seriously thought about cancelling the deal.

Another dealer had appraised my trade in and offered $4000 for it. I sent an email to another local dealer asking if they could better the overall price. They did and asked me to come and “seal the deal”. When I arrived at the dealership (after driving for an hour) they re-appraised my trade and stated that they could only give me $3500 for it. I indicated that I was leaving and they then agreed on the $4000 price. When we finalized the deal my wife and I were sent to the Business Manager’s office where the hard sell began. We were offered insurance, paint and fabric protection and an extended warranty. When I refused the extended warranty ($2300) I was asked to “justify my decision”. The Business Manager was extremely rude and pushy and had no qualms showing how pissed off he was that we had declined all of the offers. Again, I almost walked away.

The dealership called two days after my purchase to ask when I wanted to take delivery. As I was working from home I indicated that I would like to do it before the end of the business day if possible. The salesman indicated that they were busy with “other stuff” and asked me to come in the following day. In the interim I noticed that the dealership had a “Manager’s Special” promotion that included a “$1000 rebate, Free TireGard Road Hazard Warranty, Free Nitrogen Tire System Application and Free Accessory of your choice valued up to $120”. The offer was applicable to “all in stock 2007 Spectras”. I was given the $1000 rebate, and (very reluctantly) the TireGard Road Hazard Warranty and Free Nitrogen Tire System Application. When I indicated that I wanted winter floor mats (approx $100) and a touch up paint pen ($11) as my “free accessory” I was told that they would not be provided. The reason I was given by the dealership was that I had “negotiated on the price of the vehicle and didn’t really qualify for the advertised items” and that they had already been “very generous”. I indicated that the advertisement was undated and contained no small print about the offer being invalid if the price was negotiated. The salesman agreed that the ad did not contain any small text and still refused to provide the free accessory. I decided to let the Better Business Bureau sort it out – they have already processed three claims (that I didn’t know about) against the dealership. It’s a small thing, but being my first new car I expected a better experience.

Although we disliked our buying experience and the dealership, we love the car. It’s quiet and has loads of fantastic features. I’m debating having it sprayed by Krown – we live in the “salt belt” in Southern Ontario, Canada. I just can’t bare the though of having holes drilled in my new car! :cry:

PW
  • Time to rrade cars. Replacing my present and so far dependable, 2002 Taurus. This car has made 5 round trips to the West from my home in the Midwest with zero problems. (2200 miles each way.) Test drove a 2007 Spectra EX (4A) today. This car had 6100 miles from the first owner. Was impressed with many features but after reading the 2007 brochure, I'm confused by what is either a misprint on the specification pages or have the specifications changed?

One one page it states that ABS is an option on the EX Sedan. On the opposite page it states that ABS is standard, but optional on the SX sedan and 5 models. Anyone have a comment on this?

In reading the service problems with this model, I'm hesitant to make a purchase. Since Kia allows no deviation from the service interval mileages, and apparently disallows warranty claims (according to one post)if you are over the service interval by fractional miles. Obviously there is little or no leeway (plus or minus) permitted.

My cars are dealer serviced every 3,000 miles and inspected for any potential problems. However, there have been instances where the mileage has been exceeded by 100 miles.

Checking the owners service record for this particular car reveals that the intial 3,000 mile service was either not performed on not recorded in the service record. According to some postings for this make and model, many dealers simply refuse to honor any warranty problems based on this.

Your comments are welcomed and appreciated.
  • first off kia's oil changes have 2 seperate intervals. there is a 7500 (no stop and go/long trip only) and a service interval that is for "severe" (small trips without engine runnig for long period of time/stop and go/city.) next ABS IS ONLY OPTIONAL ON SX AND SPECTRA 5. NOT AVAILIBLE ON ANY LX OR EX SPECTRA. never has been never will be. you do realize that if you purchase the used vs the new you will only retain the 5-60 bumper to bumper and you will lose the 10yr-100000 powertrain warranty. you will retain the 5yr 60 as your powertrain coverage. you also do still get the remaining balance of the 5yr 60k roadside assistance coverage. just make sure you would want a used one because kia is offering some agressive rebates on the new ones. you can get them in the range of 13900 plus tax and tags
  • Thanks for the valuable information on the servicing and oil change intervals. The brochure is somewhat vaguely arranged regarding the ABS system. IMHO.

I've read many reviews, many favorable, some otherwise on this model. One recurrent comment regarding the quality of the service departments appears frequently. Since you sell the product, this definitely does not help either the car's reputation or inspire the public's confidence in the dealer body.

Traveling West, as I do each Fall, I take note of the makes and frequency of sightings of cars with out-of-state plates at far distances from their home state. Over the last several years I've only spotted one Spectra (in Nebraska) with Connecticut tags. There are plenty of Sorentos and Kia vans however.

Thanks for the advice on purchasing new versus used.
  • krutmkrutm Posts: 1
    Hi, I just saw your post and think I too may be making a mistake, if I understand you correctly. I recently purchased (new)2007 Sedona and a Spectra. I thought manual said it needs service/oil change every 7500 miles. I drive mostly city driving.did I get this wrong? Also- do you know if I have to do oil changes and services at a KIA dealership in order to maintain the warrantee? Lastly, once I am writing to you- would you or anyone know why -on both Sedona and Spectra- once every 2 weeks or so I shut off car and find the parking lights stay on.I do not have a setting marked "auto" ut I leave switch on the picture of the eyes and lights USUALLY go on automatically and off whenever I shut car...except once in a while ...???... I appreciate any help you can give me .Thanks.
  • Not having purchased a Spectra as yet, and after reading the brochures and talking with salespeople, it's my understanding that when you open the drivers door, with the engine off, the lights automatically shut off.

According to the post from ISELLKIAS there are two oil change intervals. One is for no stop/go or long distance trips,(7500 miles) and one for stop/go driving i.e. city, where engine is turned off frequently. He did not mention what that stop/go mileage interval was.

Personally, I change oil/filter every 3K miles, regardless of what the owner's manual says. Outside of one battery failure, my present car has 63K with NO problems.

According to posts on the consumer ratings page, Kia is very, very strict on changing oil (according to that posting) within 5 miles of recommended mileage, OR they will not honor related warranty claims. This posting may be a little over the top, but check with your dealer to see if this is correct or just the requirements of that owners' dealer. From the various postings in the consumer ratings pages, warranty service for obvious defects may or may not be easy to obtain.

From the number of postings on the Spectra consumer ratings pages, it seems like many folks have experienced difficulty in trying to get warranty repairs.
  • Sorry to have overlooked your question on dealer servicing.

My experience has been very positive in that respect. I'd strongly recommend dealer only servicing. If a warranty issue comes up, you've got records to prove that a defect exists since only the dealer has serviced the vehicle. This policy can avoid disputes over who's responsible for the work.

Is it more costly? Definitely. Does it pay off in the long run? Definitely.
  • sam96sam96 Posts: 3
    $15505 - price w/ AC, tint, Automatic transmission, no electric windows nope..
    -1000 trade in
    -1500 rebate
    so...

sound like BS or what folks

$13,505 + TTL

in TX

good bad? these are my options
  • Sounds kind of ok, not great. We are looking at a deal for a 2008 spectra :

$15k AC, automatic, electric everything
    No trade in
    Cruise Control $250-350
    The deal offered was $13,992 with 0% financing over 60 months & mad warranties
    But thats in Oregon... :)
  • roscoe62roscoe62 Posts: 1
    Ok I have a price of $11,990 on a 2008 Spetra EX manual with cruise. I'm thinking from my research so far that this is a pretty good price. It's about $1,000 less than Edmunds TMV for my area on this car. What do you all think?????
  • jfritschjfritsch Posts: 958
    Edmunds TMV is usually nothing to write home about, but if you look the trade in value of a used 07 spectra like the one you want with 16000 miles and outstanding condition (kbb.com) , and its about 10k, 12000 for a new one would be a good deal.

Also email 5 or more hyundai dealers within 100 miles of your home (hyundai website) for bids on an elantra gls with pwr pkg manual or auto (16000 or 17000msrp) and see what you can do last week of the month. Some dealers around the country have been letting them go for 12000 and 13000 and they are a significantly better car with more options std.

Good luck
    --jjf

Ok I have a price of $11,990 on a 2008 Spetra EX manual with cruise. I'm thinking from my research so far that this is a pretty good price. It's about $1,000 less than Edmunds TMV for my area on this car. What do you all think?????
  • eddie149eddie149 Posts: 4
    Car dealers can be beat into submission at this time. Just bought a brand new specrta ex auto trans 12,042 out the door. Cleveland area.
  • mikemartinmikemartin Posts: 205
    Car dealers can be beat into submission at this time. Just bought a brand new specrta ex auto trans 12,042 out the door. Cleveland area.

That's a good deal, but not quite as good as a written offer to sell I got for a new 2008 Optima LX (4 banger) for $12,914 and some change, which would be out the door.
  • ggzzggzz Posts: 1
    That's a really great price, can you please give the dealer name? I'm also in cleveland
13»