Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Talk to AutoScoop! The radio show for car buying

2»

Comments

• We're looking to purchase a '98 528I from the original owner. It has approx 58K miles. No accidents, all service done at the dealer and a clean carfax report. We're also considering a '98 volvo S90 with only 52K miles..immaculate and also from the original owner..clean carfax report. This will be an extra family car and will most likely be turned over to our daughter when she goes to college in a year. We just got rid of a '95 BMW 530I that had major oil repairs issues with 160K miles on it. We loved it though. Any opinions on which car would be the better choice? We're leaning on the 530I but welcome suggestions/opinions.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 16,894
    That's pretty tough.

Volvo seats are the best in the biz. So if you are taking long drives in the car, you might take that into consideration. The 528, to the best of my knowledge, is supposed to be reliable.

I assume the bimmer is the more expensive option, no? At least it should be. So if price is a concern, the volvo is going to win. If you want a sportier ride, then the bimmer is the winner hands down. This would come down to touchy feely for me. I loved my volvo, but I've recently come to appreciate bimmers (now have an '87 325i in the garage). More fun = bimmer. More comfy = brick.

'13 Stang GT; '86 Benz 300E; '98 Volvo S70; '12 Leaf; '08 Town&Country

• I can't remember if the S90 was as troublesome as the later S80s. You need to track down Volvomax in one of the other discussions here about that.
    I didn't look it up, but I'm pretty sure the S90 is completely different. IIRC, it is RWD vs the S80 FWD. I believe the S80 was all new, and hence the issues with the first couple of years.

• Yes, the 528 is a little more...$2,000. Price really isn't a concern. We've driven them both and we've had volvo's although it was years ago. No doubt, the 528I handled like you'd expect and the volvo felt rock solid. One other thing I forgot to mention..the 528 has front and side airbags for the front seats. The S90 only has front driver and passenger airbags. Of course, since we've just recently (3 days ago) got rid our our 530I, we're comparing everything to that! I think if we wait too long, one or both of these cars will be gone. If one's gone, that makes the decision a little easier right?
  • What/who is Volvomax?
  • Guy that runs a Volvo dealership in Arizona and is one of the resident Volvo experts.

You can usually find find him in Real World Trade In Values.

Last post of his in that thread
  • Thank you...I've sent him my question.
  • I am trying to purchase my leased 2007 Jeep Commander. I have a check with the amount made out to Chrysler. The dealership I leased the truck through, and who told me that Chrysler Financial was one of the best to work with will not accept the check because it is made out to Chrysler. Chrysler Finanial keeps sending me back to the dealer saying they should handle it and I should receive all of my paperwork from the dealer making me the happy owner.

Can someone please tell me what I should do. I have a check that no one wants.
  • First of all let me say that that is a lot of vehicle in this gas strapped time to be buying. I assume that you have you have a work related reason or children for buying such a large vehicle. I Use to live in the hi-desert where 4-wheel action was a necessity come winter. Any how this is what you should do;
    take a breath and relax :D
    tear up that check
    make a new one to the dealership in their name
    For the purposes of tax , accounting, and records the corporate office does not want to go out of procedure and you are right they could if they wanted to but I worked for the corporate dealerships once and I can tell you that no one wants to take the responsibility and the risk. You,the customer, should come first but they are concerned about job security first.
    Thank you, TheCarConsultant.org
    wow. quite the timely reply. :/

2»
This discussion has been closed.