Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• Regarding the rear brakes on the 500. I am a A automotive parts salesman (35yrs). It seems the rear brake pads are undersized for the size of this vehicle. Also Ford is useing what is called "organic" pads on the entire vehicle. These will work well, however they are what we call in the trade a very dirty ( look at your nice rims ) pad. The life of this type of brake pad is low ( 18 to 20000 ) miles. Suggest replacing same with a quality ceramic disc pad, this will give Much longer life and be a very clean to your wheel change.
  • I replaced my back brakes at 20K also. Not at the dealership but at a reputable goodyear dealership and was told the same. They used a quality ceramic disc pad and I am not having any of the bad brake dust on the back wheels like with the original pads (or grinding noise). I was surprised the back pads wore out before the front. Every car I've owned before the front wore out first and would have brake dust.
  • Generally love our 2005 Montego. Lots of room and 30mpg+ between Baton Rouge and Houston, routinely. two engineering flaws of note:

Rear Brakes wearing out fast. Brakes worked at 17k miles and again at 12 kmiles. Service is installing ceramic brakes as per TSB from FoMoCo. We will see.

Trunk latch has never worked right, service can't fix it and FoMoCo does not seem to have a TSB on it. When you pop the lid (remote or dash button) the latch does not completely let go, like a burr or something is holding it. It is actually hurting my wife's arm as when she goes to open it thinking it is released, it is not without a firm tug. The trunk ought to rise a little. Anyone have a known solution?

The final complaint is minor but noticable: sheet metal/finish a little more vulnerable to parking lot damage than I would like.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi Zhuge:
    Here is the important question dealing with dealer service. How come, the dealer never can "replicate the problem," but the owner can drive five blocks away from the dealer's service department, and the problem appears? It must be Magic!!!!!
    I am in the process of making a purchasing decision between a Ford 500 and a Chevrolet Impala LT2. I like the Ford 500 more, but the brake issue has me concerned! Small Ford dealers, in my part of the country, that have been in business for years, have closed their doors. I am concerned that I will not be able to get "quality service," because the remaining dealerships will be over run with service customers. The LT2 Impala is starting to look like the final choice! :cry: ;) :confuse: ----- Best regards. ---- Dwayne
  • jog4jog4 Posts: 4
    Went to dealer to have transmission flushed 30000 miles maintance. Dealer said cost is three hundred Fluid for the cvt is expensive.Has anyone else priced the flush.
  • djm2djm2 Posts: 705
    Hi jog4:
    Does this transmission have a fluid pan on the bottom of the transmission case, like the older transmissions?--- If so, I would rather "drop the pan" to remove the trans fluid, rather than having the transmission flushed! From what I have been reading, (transmission flushing equipment and the process), can damage a trans.. Only used the manufacturer's fluid in any transmission. Do not use aftermarket fluid! :confuse: ;) Best regards. ----Dwayne
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    You were "upsold" the maintenance interval on the CVT is 60,000 miles. Also its just a change, flush is not specified. (the high presure filter has to be changed also)

You can customize a scheduled maintainence for your specific Ford, based on your driving habits, by visiting www.fleet.ford.com Use the maintenance tab.

Mark.
  • You were "upsold" the maintenance interval on the CVT is 60,000 miles

I will probably change mine at 30k, also. 60k just seems WAY too long between changes. Maybe if it was all driven in only 2 or 3 years.
    Thanks for the web site very informative.I did not have trans flushed I thought it to expensive but I did have pan dropped filter change and 5 or 6 quarts added.
    The manual states replace cabin filter if equipped. Does 2005 five hundred have one and if so where?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    As far as I was able to discover, the Cabin Air Filter was removed before production...thank you MR BEAN counter.

Mark.
  • I have a 2005 Freestyle which is same platform as this forum. I have been studying the CVT maintanence and trying to decide a stategy.

Went to the Dealer today and asked about the CVT. Service manager said "we'll flush it". This is WRONG and not even possible from what I read.

Then he said "call Joe" since he has done one. "Joe" said three hours = $270 + parts. This is not far from the AllData pro database which was about 2.6 hrs +.2 for pan filter. I was told the "case filter" is up against the "firewall". Yes, there is a pan filter inside pan and a high pressure, case filter located on the driver side of tranny. MyFord specifies the case filter be changed with fluid (as does AllData). I have not inspected case filter access.

The CVT has a torque convertor like standard automatic. It's between the tansmission and the engine as usual. From the diagrams I've seen, the torque convertor is not accessable from the pan. This means there is no access to a drain plug. Perhaps the CVT must be removed to access it. Only 5 of 10 qt will come out.

My current thought is to do a "fluid only" change at 30K if dealer will do it. Then case filter and fluid at 60K. I would do the pan filter at that time if the case filter indicated any need. After warranty I'll do this myself but level setting is still tricky (I've posted the procedures on Frestyle/500 forums.)

Please post any CVT fluid service experience/costs that you have for all of us.
  • ansaransar Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Ford Five Hundred SE. The radio that comes with it has an Aux button, but of course nothing is connected to it.

Does anyone know if there is an actual Aux input in the back of the radio that I could use? I hate to take it all apart only to find that there is no inputs.

Also, if there is an Aux input in the back of the radio, does anyone have any suggestions for the proper way to remove the radio? I can figure it out, but it would be nice to see a guide if someone has already done one.

Thanks for your time.
  • There is no aux input on back of the radio.

What you need is one of these:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/piefrd04aux.html

This assumes that you don't have the DVD option.

You can hook up anything with RCA jacks using this adapter.
  • There are a number of sites with instructions on how to remove the radio. A number of vendors -- that sell the PIE adapter above on ebay provide the instructions on line.

The adapter works great -- I just had one installed in my '05 Montego - along with an AMP and new speakers. If you want to hook up an IPOD or Sat Radio or DVD player -- you will need an RCA to 3.5 Stereo cable.

If you don't want to mess with pulling out the radio yourself -- You can probably get Best Buy, Circuit City or any other car stereo shop to install it for you -- probably around 25 bucks.
  • Does anyone know where the Ford Five Hundred turn signal flasher is located?
  • maxx9000maxx9000 Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Ford 500 Limited with 14000 miles. My Side Mirrors move when you close the doors and need re-adjusted and the drivers side window, when I put it down about 2 inches (since I smoke) when I go to put it back up it goes down about 3/4th of the way and I can not stop it from going down till that point then it will allow me to put it back up. Has anyone had these problems and if so were they resolved by the dealership? Steve
  • times2times2 Posts: 45
    I have a 2006 Ford Five Hundred SE. Yesterday, while my wife was driving, the gas cap indicator on the dash came on. I checked the manual, and did what it said (shut off the car, took off the cap, put it back on making sure it was secure), and then restarted the car. Light is still on. Checked again this morning, and the light is still on. There's about a 1/4 tank of gas in the car now. Is there anything else easy I can check, or do I need to bring it in to a Ford Dealership?

Thanks!
  • bruneau1bruneau1 Posts: 468
    How are the brakes, especially rear, holding up in the 500 and Montego? There are lots of complaints with the Freestyle.
  • queen4queen4 Posts: 1
    Just bought used ford 500 se. want to use key pad on driver's door. Need to locate factory set code on computer module. Don't want to go to dealer to pay 1 hour labor fee for them to hook it to computer to find it for me. Does anyone know where the computer module is located. Thanks