Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego Maintenance & Repair

Comments

• times2times2 Posts: 45
    I had mine checked when I bought the car with 22,000 miles (Ford 500 SE). They looked fine. From the reading I did, that seemed to be more of a problem with 2005 models. It also seemed to be a problem if the vehicle sat for a while and built up rust on the rear rotors.
  • nic1313nic1313 Posts: 1
    I HAVE A 2005 FORD 500 SEL. I JUST HAD THE REAR BRAKES REPLACED AT 17,000 MILES. I COULD NOT BELIEVE THAT I WOULD NEED NEW BRAKES AT 17,000 MILES ESPECIALLY REAR BRAKES. i NEVER HAD TO CHANGE BRAKES ON ANY CAR I HAVE OWNED A CAR THAT HAD TO HAVE THE BRAKES REPLACED AT LESS THAN 40,000 MILES AND i HAVE BEEN DRIVING OVER 45 YEARS. THE REP AT FORD EXPLAINED THAT THEY ARE HAVING A MAJOR PROBLEM WITH THIS IN BOTH THE 500 AND THE MONTEGO. HE SAID IT IS CAUSED BY USING SMALLER AND THINNER PADS? FORD WILL NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY EVEN THOUGH IT APPEARS TO BE A DESIGN FLAW. BE PREPARED TO REPLACE THE REAR BRAKES EVERY 17,000 MILES OR SO.

I WENT ON LINE CONCERNING THIS AND FOUND THAT THERE IS A CLASS ACTION SUITE AGAINST FORD BASED ON THIS PROBLEM THE WEB PAGE IS www.ford500classaction.com
  • barnstormer64barnstormer64 Posts: 1,106
    Just had my Five Hundred AWD LTD brakes checked at 15,000 miles.

Still had 90% wear left on the rear brakes, and 80% left on the front brakes.
  • Hey did you ever find the flasher? I am trying to find mine too and I just can't find it and I also can't find anyone that knows where it is. I want to replace it with an electronic flasher.

Thanks.
  • diecast61diecast61 Posts: 11
    The flasher is located in the smart junction box - which is behind the dash panel - on the left hand side - according to the service manual.

I don't know if you can or how to post a diagram here.

Look in your vehicle manual that came with the car to see if they are more specific -- of if they describe the "Smart Junction Box"

Not much help - but it's the best I can do right now.">
  • Thanks for the info. I wonder if there is a flasher inside the smart junction box that even can be replaced?? I am looking to upgrade my flasher to handle larger loads and LED lights. But I wonder if it can be done.
  • enksenksenksenks Posts: 1
    I have just replaced both rear brakes and rotors. 36,900 miles! I have also had the center dashboard console replaced because of bubbling. Need new tires already. That is not right at 37,000 miles!
  • mhanlenmhanlen Posts: 1
    I had the same thing happen to me on my 2007 500 SEL. Ford had to replace the gas cap under warranty. The warning would go off after I filled up, but would come back on. Two months later the warning light has not come back on since it was replaced.
  • jog4jog4 Posts: 4
    I have had the exact same problems. I will be going for my second console the new one is bubbling also.Now for the good news Ford will replace the brakes under customer satisfaction program 07N10 "also if you paid to have the rear pads replaced before the date of this letter,you may be eligible for a refund...." Hopefully they will pay for the rotors also because they were the most expensive rotors I ever bought.Recieved the letter about 7/15/07.
  • Had similar issue with center console....map pocket on dash bubbling up when car was 9 months old and received no satisfaction from dealer or Ford.

Have had numerous issues with the brakes which I will outline in another post. Rear brakes replaced at 31,000 miles again at 54,000 miles and needed again as warranty recall now at 93,000 miles but Ford dealers in NC have no parts to repair and my car has been deemed unsafe to drive. I am being told it is on nationwide backorder and wait is 2-3 weeks...(without a car?)

I have joined the class action lawsuit on this vehicle with the brake issue thanks to this message board.
  • Interesting to hear you tell this.

Ford Customer Care is worthless as I have spoken with them about this 3 times in the past 14 months.

Purchased vehicle in Aug 2005. Rear brakes replaced and rotors turned in Apr 2006 at 31,000 miles. Rear brakes replaced and rotors turned again at 54,000 miles in Oct 2006. Total cost $485 and no warranty coverage, even though I purchased the 100,000 extended coverage.

I now have 93,000 miles and rear brakes need replacing as well as rotors. In NC I am being told these parts are on nationwide backorder and it will be 2-3 weeks before my vehicle can be repaired but I have been told my car is unsafe to drive!

I have contacted Ford customer care and advised them that I expect an answer today. (I have consulted NC lemon law attorney and joined the class action lawsuit against Ford on this issue)

My first and last Ford purchase. Vehicle is OK but the dealer and factory support is terrible...no one seems to care in the least.
  • the tranny fluid is outrageous......like $17 quart and it takes 14 qts..........unbelievable!
  • Has anyone had a long standing problem with their flashers?

My left turn flasher starts flashing regular speed and after three or four flashes it starts flashing very fast. The right side does this intermitantly.
  • My drivers seat and power pedals stop working from time to time. The dealer keeps changing relays but my warranty is up in a couple of weeks.

What might be causing the relay to keep burning out?
  • times2times2 Posts: 45
    That's Ford's way to let you know you have a light bulb out. Check all of your turn signal bulbs. At least one must be burned out. I had one go bad on my 500 already. It was a rear bulb. I used to have a 1998 Mercury Mystique. It did the same thing when a bulb burned out. Hope that helps.
  • Thanks, the right rear turn signal was blown.
  • Instrument Cluster went completely dead, none of the gauges worked for a short period of time. The odometer went blank and all indicator lights/warning lights flashed for a moment. The gauges started working again and then went dead again. This happened several times in a 10 minute span. Then they all started working again, and has not happened in the last two days. Anyone had this happen with this car or any other Ford?
  • vtc1vtc1 Posts: 3
    I recently purchased an 07 Montego. The first time the fuel gauge was below 1/2 full and above 1/4 full, the gauge immediately went to "empty", low fuel light came on and an alarm sounded(bell).But the worse part about it is that the car acts like it is running out of fuel when it really isn't. I took it back to the dealer and their techs said it was bad sending units in the gas tank. These were replaced. Next time the gauge read 1/4 full, the same thing happened. So the dealership filled it up again and it happened again and this time it happened between 1/2 and 1/4 full.The engineers said this was normal! When is it normal for any vehicle to display any kind of low fuel alarm when there is still six gallons of fuel in the tank? I can understand an indicator on the dash(maybe).But to act like it it going to stall when there is plenty of fuel is a different matter. The engineers have no clue. Does anyone have any ideas? This is a brand new car. I guess I might have to take it back and stay away from Ford products altogether.Anyway, any suggestions?
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    try geting a fuel system cleaner with techron in it.

Sulfer in the gas plays havoc with the Ford sending unit.

Mark.