Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Lexus RX 400h Owners - Give Us Your Report

1235»

Comments

• roycrawfroycrawf Posts: 4
    "ICE" is Internal Combustion Engine, the engine in you car that uses gasoline.
  • brent99brent99 Posts: 19
    Everytime you turn on the car, the navigation gives you a lawyeristic "I agree" screen. I'd like to find the guy behind that screen and re-assign him to GM for life. It makes me want to drill my own eyes out.

Other than that, the best car on the market in its class.
  • brent99brent99 Posts: 19
    Its an SUV. Most of the time, there is more than one person in the car. The passenger should be able to override and use nav while the driver drives. *(^%(*%^*(&^*& lawyers. Just put your stupid "I agree" screen there if you must.
  • texamau1texamau1 Posts: 42
    I can play mp3 (all 6 of them) in my 07 RX400h :) I agreed with you about not have an Aux input :(
  • Hi-
    I also live in Chicago and was wondering what your overall experience has been so far.
    -How was the handling in the snow? Did you continue to get good mileage?
    -Have you needed any repairs? Are they more costly than a conventional car?
    So confused, it seems the more I read the more confused I become. :blush:
  • ksrpksrp Posts: 11
    Took one out for a test drive. My first time driving a RX400 hybrid.

Heard a fairly noticeable high pitched whine as I slowed down at lights. Is this to be expected always?

Tried to avoid accelerating after starting from a light to see when the switch over from electric to ICE takes place. Noticed that it would take place at right around 10-20 mph. Is that normal?

Not sure about this but my recollection of the RX350 test drive is that engine noise was lower on that vehicle. Does that sound right?

Reading through the posts on this forum, I will admit I don't know yet how to interpret the electric/hybrid gauges to describe what state the battery was in when I took it out and whether that explains the whine and cut-over behavior.

Would like to hear feedback from 400h owners.
  • When will Lexus provide the Blue tec diesel with their hybrid. Then we'll get REAl mileage. In the USA we brag about mileage that they laugh at in Europe. Get serious. You guys would buy anything.....that you saw your neighbor buy , that is. Far to expensive for next to nothing in return.
  • chance8chance8 Posts: 4
    I've got about 760 miles now on the '08 RX400h. Previous cars were the Prius 2002-2004, then the Infiniti FX35 2004-2008. This Lexus soothes my conscience while allowing me to enjoy the luxury to which I've become accustomed. (See separate posts about suggested improvements to the Lexus.) Because I drove the Prius for 2 years, I'm familiar with the feel of regenerative braking and electric/ICE transitions. Glad I've learned on these forums that the initial gas mileage improves with age. Right now I'm at 24.5mpg and shooting for 25.

We have the technology: every car sold in this country should be a hybrid. Somehow, this one is the only option in a luxury vehicle.
  • maximafanmaximafan Posts: 592
    The high-pitched whine that you heard while using the brakes on
    the RX400 is tied into the regenerative braking. I noticed it when
    driving a few hybrid 400h loaner cars through Lexus. That was one of the few things I was not crazy about on the hybrid. That, and I had to get used to the CVT trannie as opposed to the regular tranny on the RX350.
  • Hello all you RX400H owners:

I'm thinking of buying one myself. I was wondering when is a good time to buy in consideration to when the next years's model might be coming out? So far I've heard sometime in Oct/Nov?? Also, has anyone any idea what the durability of the hybrid battery is? I heard there are two rechargeable Ni-Cad batteries? The dealer I spoke to says there is a 8 yr/100,000 limited warranty and each battery replacement after the warranty is $1600 a piece not including labor. Total cost is $3200. Does this negate the fuel economy in the end? Can anyone shed some light on this? Thank you.
  • tomnltomnl Posts: 2
    Just picked up my RX400h and driving it to work.
    First impression ---> LOVE IT and felt like helping hand to the GREEN planet.
    Very comfort and quiet. Still need to learn to adapt Hybrid Driving Style.
    I am thinking to keep this car for at most 10 yrs and don't care much about the battery replacement cost. By then we maybe driving with Hydrogen or some other fuels.
  • gx470818gx470818 Posts: 16
    I'm in the market for one of these baby as well but a dealer sales told me that there will be no 09 model coming out and the 2010 model will be completely redesigned with better fuel milage and probably a higher price as well. The 2010 should come out next May. I might just wait out for another year.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Posts: 755
    2010 model will be completely redesigned with better fuel milage and probably a higher price as well. The 2010 should come out next May. I might just wait out for another year

Finally someone is saying that it will be out in May, How am I going to wait that long... :blush: :sick:

I dont know anymore what I even like... Well maybe I do I like the x6 but trust the lexus...
  • tomnltomnl Posts: 2
    Pick BMW X6, it is a nice looking cross over SUV.
  • I bought a 2006 RX 400 H with 35000 miles on it. Since May, 2009 I have had it at the Lexus dealer 4 x because if it doesn't get driven every single day, when I get in to go somewhere, it won't start, and that's after only one day of not running the car. I just found out this last weekend that the regular batter, NOT the Hybrid battery had already been changed and the previous owner didn't put in a Lexus battery so Lexus is now saying that is the problem. My thought is, "I am expected to spend $500 on a Lexus battery and it doesn't even last three years?" So I have not had a good experience with my car at all. If anyone knows if there is a difference in a Lexus battery and a regular 12 V battery let me know. Thank you.
  • We just bought 2006 RX400H. My partner had no problem using his Blackberry Bold (AT&T) with the bluetooth for a week. I started driving the car with my own key and connected my Samsung Blackjack 2 (AT&T) to the bluetooth successfully too. The connection problem started when he got back into driving the car. When I rode with him, my phone was connected. From that point on, things just yo-yo-ing between his and mine. More often than not, none of ours connect regardless of who drives (whose key is used), which User setting we select.

These are the behaviors we observed: 1. Using our personal key doesn't seem to the driver's phone is the one getting connected.

2. Memorising the User setting while the driver's phone is connected does seem to help either.

3. Removing the Device entry on our phone and reregister seems to be the only way to get connection again. Temporarily disable the device on the phone doesn't do any good.

Any tips from any one to fix the problem will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • 1dkupp1dkupp Posts: 4
    I've had my 400h since 2006 has 75,000 miles . Coming back from vacation saw a puddle of anti-freeze on ground. The hybrid section broke a seal and lost all the fluid. No actual fix for this problem except replace the entire transaxle at $6400.00!!

Have spoken to Lexus customer service and expect an answer/relief from them next week. Anybody else have this problem?

To think that a $5 seal can't be fixed and nesessitate such an expensive and wastful solution does not seem like the Lexus way of doing things.
  • Hi 1dkupp, did you get your problem resolved? I just niticed a leak in my 2007 rx 400h as well but I don't know where the leak is coming from. Will take it in for a check up and a preassure test. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that is a simple problem like a hose leak. Did you get any replies to your post?

Thanks ang gl!
  • Hi Ang,

My repair was major even though the problem seemed small. In fact there was no repair they had to replace the drive train to the tune of $6,000.00 !!!

I raised a stink with the national customer service person and they responded by absorbing the whole bill!

I called out the local dealer for not standing up for me and they apologized and gave me a credit towards my next service.

BTW I kept the 400h but bought a new Range Rover Evoque for my new car and it's a lot more vehicle for the money and gets better mileage than the hybrid!

Good luck, don't let them push you around!

Doug
1235»