Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• A year ago I went with Michelin all season tires rated at about 60K miles I think (I couldn't find anything with much higher mileage as the 17" rims are "high performance"). I had Toyo OEM tires before (original from Mazda) and the vibration was terrible. Since putting on the Michelin's it finally feels like a new car and I would highly recommend this brand. They cost a little more than the cheaper ones but well worth it in my opinion.

Changing tires will do nothing for the cold weather clanky/crunchy suspension issues. I had the same issue for some time. There is a service bulletin for this issue as has been mentioned previously (see all bulletins at http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=17) requiring replacement of the bushings on the front lower arm and/or front/rear stabilizer bushing. I had mine in countless times for front and back. This is the first winter with no problems (so far anyway!).
  • dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    Add me to the list of new antenna owners.
    Hmmm... maybe Cerberus should get out of the business of trying to make cars and just sell antenna masts?
  • At this point in time your a truly correct my friend.....LOL!
  • Did anyone ever find out or resolve this ocassional coolant smell? I get it once in a while but nothing seems to be leaking, at least not enough to leak under the car. Has anyone experienced, smelled, or gotten this resolved?
  • 5_more5_more Posts: 43
    2008 Mazda 5, 15k miles, <11 months old...

-- lots of fun to drive

-- vibrates at ~50 mph

-- plastic creaking noises from base of windshield

-- rear suspension creaking noises started yesterday

Have any of these been successfully addressed by Mazda?

My dealer, while polite, has been less than helpful.
  • I have experienced that smell periodically. Would love to hear how others have acted on it and what resolution was offered.
  • Possibly it has to do with this TSB? It may be "evaporating" before reaching the bottom...

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/01-047-08-2000.pdf
  • I did see that TSB, but I never see leakage so I never thought anything of it. I am out of warranty so getting it covered is out of the question but I will be changing my spark plugs here soon. When I do and remove the engine cover I will take a look at it to see if I see any dried up coolant remnants under that valve. If I do, I may just replace the gasket myself as well as the thermostat and do a coolant drain and refill.
  • Sounds good, it should be a very minor leak if you don't have to refill coolant nor you see drops around...
  • bolvobolvo Posts: 5
    STAY AWAY - From MAZDA We bought a used 2007 Mazda 5 it's NOW ASHES !
    2 weeks ago yesterday my 2007 Mazda 5 with less than 45K on the odometer caught on FIRE. We called Mazda to report it and their response was: Report it to your insurance company - we can do nothing; the same type of response from the dealer and so on. My wife is very upset. We have maintained the vehicle w/ care and diligence. Oil Changes, Repairs done at the Mazda dealership and the vehicle passed inspection less than 2 weeks prior to the fire. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED. NEVERTHELESS IT IS SAD FOR US TO SEE HOW THERE'S LITTLE THE MAZDA DEALER, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SERVICE ADVISORS HAVE DONE TO TRY TO GIVE US A REASON OR INVESTIGATE. That was the last Mazda Vehicle we owned. We are going straight to a TOYOTA dealer. NO MORE MAZDA's for me or my family. No more fire hazard.
  • bolvobolvo Posts: 5
    STAY AWAY - From MAZDA We bought a used 2007 Mazda 5 it's NOW ASHES !
    2 weeks ago yesterday my 2007 Mazda 5 with less than 45K on the odometer caught on FIRE. We called Mazda to report it and their response was: Report it to your insurance company - we can do nothing; the same type of response from the dealer and so on. My wife is very upset. We have maintained the vehicle w/ care and diligence. Oil Changes, Repairs done at the Mazda dealership and the vehicle passed inspection less than 2 weeks prior to the fire. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED. NEVERTHELESS IT IS SAD FOR US TO SEE HOW THERE'S LITTLE THE MAZDA DEALER, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SERVICE ADVISORS HAVE DONE TO TRY TO GIVE US A REASON OR INVESTIGATE. That was the last Mazda Vehicle we owned. We are going straight to a TOYOTA dealer. NO MORE MAZDA's for me or my family. No more fire hazard.
  • vicenacvicenac Posts: 229
    Sorry man....
    My cousin had a Toyota. You know what happened? It caught fire! On the freeway. He managed to pull off quickly and managed to put the fire out. I once saw a Jeep Grand Cherokee burn to the metal in front of a gas station. All the extinguishers in the gas station could not put it out. It's just sad. They keep making them out of flammable materials.
    You know what doesn't burn? A horse. (or maybe I'm wrong) Did any of the Yugo's burn?
    Now, Mazda could have handled it better. They could have pretended they're interested in "learning". The car was out of warranty. You bought it used. Who knows? It's not like Mazda Mazda5's are burning out there. Yours was an accident. The insurance company is the proper place to call. I hope you got some money for it!

From what I read and experienced, Mazda does not have the most helpful customer service out there. But they&#146;re not the worse. I'd say average. I heard Honda is excellent, but their cars put me to sleep.
    Let's not forget they're a small company. There is some risk in buying from a small manufacturer. They can't be too generous. Their bottom line is rather thin. But then again, that risk is alleviated by the small price compared to quality/performance of the product.

I would not blame Mazda for the fire, or suspect that Mazda cars are prone to fire. Squeaking is another story.
    Is this unprecedented?
    The time for the new model year came and went (almost), there is no inventory of MZ5 left, dealers cannot order it (any year) anymore and Mazda is mum about it!

Does anybody know anything?

I am waiting to buy one, but if this drags for too long, I'll have to just buy something else. I have a pregnant wife and a kid. Walking would work for a short time only.
  • The Mazda5 is not Mazda's best selling model so it has been never overstocked around, especially as it is only built in Japan (except China, they get their own plant). That and C4C basically depleted all the inventory around.

Having said that since 07 Mazda has been always late for launching the Mazda5 in the US (and Canada) so I doubt there are any 2010 around yet...

Now, using Autotrader (which allows to search them nationwide at any distance), brings 194 available nationally, all 2009, so there are some, but none are 2010 yet...

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/searchresults.jsp?doors=&systime=&position=top&mod- - el=MAZDA5&search_lang=en&style_flag=1&start_year=2009&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&- - search_type=new&highlightFirstMakeModel=&distance=0&min_price=&rdm=1253580575040- - &drive=&marketZipError=false&advanced=&fuel=&keywords_display=&end_year=2010&sho- - wZipError=n&make2=&certified=&engine=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&- - body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=&max_mileage=&address=61455&color=&max_pr- - ice=&awsp=false&make=MAZDA&seller_type=b&num_records=25&sort_type=yearDESC
    Yes. There are a few MZ 5 even in my area, SoCal. They're all above 24k-29k. Basically all that's left are the very expensive ones. And even those are not in any significant numbers. 1-2 per dealer. Galpin has 6.
    This situation is stagnant since the early August. That must affect the sales figures. I mean if I could have found the car I want, I would have bought it.
    SO since then (middle of August) dealers told me there are no more 09 coming and the 2010 are not coming either. Why is that? If the 2010 is not ready to be introduced, make more 09.
    I know a great deal of planning goes into what goes into production and what not, but I think this is a huge gap - two months and growing - without the car in showrooms.
    As much as I love this car, if it doesn't come soon, I'll have to find a vehicle somewhere else.
    Ford is advertising a "sun and sync" 319/mo lease for a Edge with pano moon roof and sync.
    VW is having 0% 7 years loans on almost everything. I mean, c'mon!
    That's not what I want, but I have to be able to make the doctor appointments and so on.
  • How much would you like to pay for one?

As I understand, post C4C, dealers are having serious difficulties to move their inventory (no surprise there) so before you move on submit offers to each of the dealers around you and see their responses, I'm sure they want to sell the leftovers before the 2010s arrive :)

If you like at the prices paid around very few have really paid MSRP for them
    I thought that they will discount them....
    What's C4C?
    We have a few iron clad requirements:
    -interior has to be "sand" leather (cannot be black)
    -exterior cannot be black
    Because of the way Mazda groups the interior and exterior colors, our choises narows the selection.
    The only qualified car in SoCal is a Red GT with an MSRP of over 29k (I don't know what they put inside that car).
    I was looking for pay around 21k for a GT, so no nav, dvd or sat.
    Most of the cars left have black interior. We have a CX-7 with black interior and that's it for us. Our previous Freestyle had sand leather and it was MUCH easier to keep clean (babies and milk spils, etc.)
    So there. At some point, probably they'll sell the 29k for 21k, but I don't think that they'll do that this soon.
    Plus, what if the 2010 has the new engine? I also REALY want that. I'd like to see what that car looks like... since I've been waiting/dreaming for years for this car.
  • My bad, C4C stands for cash for clunkers. Yeah, everybody has different requirements, I own 2 Mazda5s and both are 5 Manual Transmission Sport with the popular package (that is the best extras I could get for a Manual). Wife and I love MT. I also had some challenges finding them, but once I found them it was easy to get them, manuals don't move fast in my area which is good.

BTW, here are the specs for the 2010, not many changes. The new model might come until 2011 (with a new engine I believe):
    http://www.mazdausamedia.com/content/2010-mazda5
    Oh, Thanks a lot! That helps!
    So just the DSC. I've seen parts of that PR on other websites, but it seemed that they just re-used the last year review.
    Good! I want a manual tranny, too, but Mazda has reasons to believe that the leather on the seats gets cought between the gears.... :shades:
  • My 2006 Mazda 5 was out of warranty in August and I have had no problems with it. I took it in for a routine maintenance (61,000 km) and oil change this week which cost $1256: front brakes and rotors, rear shocks, transmission flush and oil change. Nothing was done while under warranty of course. So much for saving money on gas! Had to buy new tires at 40,000 km. Paint scratches very easily too. Neither the dealer nor Mazda would offer anything.

Feel like trading it in now. Beware.