Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report

Comments

• I WORK FOR AN AUTO GROUP IN WHICH WE CARRY CHRYRLER PRODUCTS. WHEN I FIRST GOT MY MZ5 I ALSO THOUGHT THE OEM ANTENNA WAS A BIT LONG AND R/C, GOOFY LOOKING. SO I TESTED AN ANTENNA FROM A 2009 DODGE JOURNEY HERE IN OUR LOT, WHICH HAS A STUBBIE 6" LONG THING AND TO MY SURPRISE IT SCREWED IN PERFECTLY AND EVEN PERFECTLY ALIGNED AT THE BASE, IT SEEMED LIKE THIS DODGE ANTENNA WAS SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR OUR MZ5s. ANYWAY I PICKED ONE UP FROM OUR PARTS DEPARTMENT AND I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER. IT LOOKS WAY BETTER AND SPORTY, PLUS IT IS STILL AN RDS ANTENNA (ADDITIONAL WIRE THAT TWIST AROUND THE MAST) SO YOU WILL NOT LOOSE ANY RECEPTION QUALITY.TOTAL COST $5.94 INCLUDING TAX. YES YOU HEARD RIGHT $5.94 INCLUDING TAX. I WAS AWED WHEN I HEARD THE PRICE. BEST $6 EVER SPENT ON A MOD. FOR MY MZ5.

IF ANYONE IS INTERESTED THE PART NUMBER FOR THIS ANTENNA WHICH YOU CAN PICK UP AT ANY LOCAL CHRYSLER, JEEP, DODGE DEALERSHIP IS: 5064710-AA

DON'T LET THE STEALERSHIP GET YOU CHRYSLER'S MSRP IS ONLY $5.50
  • ITS DEFINATELY NOT THE SEAT BELTS, BECAUSE I CAN HEAR IT RIGHT AT THE INSIDE DOOR HANDLE, SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING LOOSE BEHIND THE DOOR TRIM PANEL PERHAPS A LINK ROD??
  • 5_more5_more Posts: 43
    Nice suggestion for the antenna.

So far, the only thing that's rattled for me is the seat belts. Let the rest of us know what you find.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,876
    A reporter is interested in talking with owners of a 2009 Mazda 5. If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to jwahl@edmunds.com no later than Monday, November 3, 2008 and include your city and state of residence, the model year of your vehicle and the age of your child/ren.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• vg33e power,

Thank you so much for the idea of replacing your horrible OEM antenna on your Mazda 5 with the Dodge Journey antenna. I just picked mine up today and it works perfectly!! I paid $5.83 with tax and it looks soooo much better!

Great work! :blush:
  • jnsacj,

No problem bud, I am glad you made the change and took my suggestion. Thats two of us for sure that made the change and are satisfied...best $5.83 spent on a mod.
  • BTW, for those of you who missed it part number for the Dodge Journey antenna is #5064710-AA and MSRP is $5.50 plus tax.
  • riproyriproy Posts: 57
    Hey-
    I did the swap too, and so pleased that it works. The old one kept hitting the garage door. This one fits perfectly on the old mount - THANK YOU!
    $8.20 CDN with tx.
  • Glad to be of service riproy, I am glad your pleased as I was.
  • The funny thing is after I picked it up from the parts department at the Dodge dealership, I took off the old antenna and put the new one on in the Dodge parking lot! LOL!

The workers weren’t very happy! LOL
  • Here's a list of the Mazda5 out of the box flaws that that annoys me.

• Suspension crushing noise when weather drops below freezing point.
    • Periodic belt squealing when going hi-speed in the rain.
    • Sudden transmission jerk, loss of power, even stall (had it twice) This would only occur when engine is still cool.

I have a 07 model, does anyone know if Mazda has a fix for these issues?
  • Other than the belt squealing in rain issue (which I honestly believe is a temporary thing when the belt gets wet) I believe there are fixes for the other two concerns. Here is the link for the suspension noise bulletin and here is the link for the engine stumble bulletin
  • Thank you so much vg33e power for the links.
  • riproyriproy Posts: 57
    The suspension fix is not a sure thing. We had ours repaired with the parts listed in the bulletin a month ago. Yesterday temps were at the freezing mark and the squeaking is still there. Just slight right now but i am waiting for temps to drop lower and i am sure then the noise will be much more substantial, same as previous years.
    We have been trying to get this remedied for the past 2 years.
    I cannot for the life of me figure out how dealers cannot fix this problem when later models with the same design don't seem to have the problem.
  • Hi,

I was thinking about removing the "Mazda 5" on the back of my vehicle. Does anyone know if it will hurt the paint, or if there are pins under it?

I removed the letters off my Grand Caravan, but those were more like stickers. This one seems more difficult.

Please let me know if anyone has info on this subject.

Thanks!
  • The Mazda part has 2 pins so it will leave holes
  • Oh! Glad I didn't attempt it.

Thanks for the info coolmazda5.
  • If it is 2007 Mazda5, the VIN can be checked against a Technical Service Bulletin for defective rear and (or) front bushings on the stabilizer bar as the rear might give the impression it is behind the passenger door on the left or right side. It is one of those things that dealerships should be checking before they sell vehicles, however most don't as occurred when we purchased the same model vehicle that has defective bushings, albeit in the front. Some less reputable dealerships will actually sign off on Mazda's 100-Point Inspection, well without doing the inspection as occurred with us.
  • I'm looking for replacement tires for my 5. So far I've found Yoko YK-520 and Cooper Zeon Sport AS. I don't need high performance, but all season with decent handling.
    Anyone found something that works well? The OEM tires are terrible...25K and they are making strange sounds, not to mention the poor ride/handling.
    Hopefully this will help with the cold weather clanky/crunchy suspension issues...the dealer replaced both the upper and lower control arm to fix this (under warranty) and it seemed to help some, but now it's back.
    Any thoughts appreciated.
    Columbus, OH
  • I just replaced mine on Tuesday and I couldn't be happier with them, I should have done it sooner. I went with Michelin 225/50R17 MXM4 Pilot HX. Man these tires are sweet! Smooth, quiet, soft when traveling and awesome performance when cornering. I know these tires are expensive (around $150-$160 each) but I got an awesome deal on a set of new "take-offs" because I work at a dealership.
  • A year ago I went with Michelin all season tires rated at about 60K miles I think (I couldn't find anything with much higher mileage as the 17" rims are "high performance"). I had Toyo OEM tires before (original from Mazda) and the vibration was terrible. Since putting on the Michelin's it finally feels like a new car and I would highly recommend this brand. They cost a little more than the cheaper ones but well worth it in my opinion.

Changing tires will do nothing for the cold weather clanky/crunchy suspension issues. I had the same issue for some time. There is a service bulletin for this issue as has been mentioned previously (see all bulletins at http://www.finishlineperformance.com/store/pages.php?pageid=17) requiring replacement of the bushings on the front lower arm and/or front/rear stabilizer bushing. I had mine in countless times for front and back. This is the first winter with no problems (so far anyway!).
  • dan5678dan5678 Posts: 28
    Add me to the list of new antenna owners.
    Hmmm... maybe Cerberus should get out of the business of trying to make cars and just sell antenna masts?
  • At this point in time your a truly correct my friend.....LOL!
  • Did anyone ever find out or resolve this ocassional coolant smell? I get it once in a while but nothing seems to be leaking, at least not enough to leak under the car. Has anyone experienced, smelled, or gotten this resolved?
  • 5_more5_more Posts: 43
    2008 Mazda 5, 15k miles, <11 months old...

-- lots of fun to drive

-- vibrates at ~50 mph

-- plastic creaking noises from base of windshield

-- rear suspension creaking noises started yesterday

Have any of these been successfully addressed by Mazda?

My dealer, while polite, has been less than helpful.
  • I have experienced that smell periodically. Would love to hear how others have acted on it and what resolution was offered.
  • Possibly it has to do with this TSB? It may be "evaporating" before reaching the bottom...

http://www.finishlineperformance.com/pdf/mazda3/bulletin/01-047-08-2000.pdf
  • I did see that TSB, but I never see leakage so I never thought anything of it. I am out of warranty so getting it covered is out of the question but I will be changing my spark plugs here soon. When I do and remove the engine cover I will take a look at it to see if I see any dried up coolant remnants under that valve. If I do, I may just replace the gasket myself as well as the thermostat and do a coolant drain and refill.
  • Sounds good, it should be a very minor leak if you don't have to refill coolant nor you see drops around...
  • bolvobolvo Posts: 5
    STAY AWAY - From MAZDA We bought a used 2007 Mazda 5 it's NOW ASHES !
    2 weeks ago yesterday my 2007 Mazda 5 with less than 45K on the odometer caught on FIRE. We called Mazda to report it and their response was: Report it to your insurance company - we can do nothing; the same type of response from the dealer and so on. My wife is very upset. We have maintained the vehicle w/ care and diligence. Oil Changes, Repairs done at the Mazda dealership and the vehicle passed inspection less than 2 weeks prior to the fire. THERE IS NO REASON FOR THIS TO HAVE HAPPENED. NEVERTHELESS IT IS SAD FOR US TO SEE HOW THERE'S LITTLE THE MAZDA DEALER, CUSTOMER SERVICE AND SERVICE ADVISORS HAVE DONE TO TRY TO GIVE US A REASON OR INVESTIGATE. That was the last Mazda Vehicle we owned. We are going straight to a TOYOTA dealer. NO MORE MAZDA's for me or my family. No more fire hazard.