Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda5 Owners - Give Us Your Report

12345679»

Comments

• davichodavicho Posts: 190
    Well, I got my girl back on Friday (10-28-11) and she looks better then before. Unless you are a body repair man, you cant even tell anything happened. So it looks way better since it got a full outside detail (polished and waxed) and an alignment that I was planning on doing anyway. So it is as good as new and I am happy she is back...Thanks Caliber Collision San Bernardino
  • Yes, the Mazda 5 has the same 4 cylinder engine as the Mazda 3s models (except for the new Skyactiv G engine on the Mazda 3 only in 2012) and the Mazda 6i models. The 2.5 liter engine is new to the Mazda 2012 Mazda 5 but has been on the Mazda 3 since 2010 and the Mazda 6 since 2009. Prior to that all three cars used a 2.3 liter 4 cylinder engine .................the new Skyactiv G engine has a much higher compression rate and will get 40mpg highway on the sedan and 39 mpg highway on the hatchback (Mazda 3 in 2012 only) so hopefully this engine migrates soon to the Mazda 5, Mazda 6 and possibly even the Mazda Miata. The Skyactiv G engine also debuts on the new Mazda CX-5 crossover CUV in 2012 likely as a 2013 model ..................
  • bobw3bobw3 Posts: 2,997
    Anyone hear about the Skyactiv coming to the Mazda5?
  • Bob: Keep in mind that the Mazda 5 was just introduced as a new model. Since it was released in the spring of 2011 it is a 2012 model and thus this model year will last 1.5 years. Mazda is not going to introduce a new engine in the middle of the initial model year so you can be assured it will not occur until at least the 2013 model year. Also, the Mazda 5 is a niche vehicle (20K-25K/year sale volume through the past several years but supposedly increasing this year) and they don't spend much of any marketing dollars on it (the Mazda 5 has no direct competition since the Kia Rondo was discontinued, Ford elected not to bring a gas version of the C-Maxx on the same platform as the 5 and GM is not bringing the Orlando (hinged doors) to the US either.

Thus, with the upgrade to the 2.5 liter engine not occurring until this year I think it would be at least 2014 before Skyactiv would come to the Mazda 5. It would be strange to have the 2.5 liter engine for only 1 model year on the Mazda 5 (2.3 liter 4 until this new model -- Mazda 6 had this engine through 2008, the Mazda 3 had the 2.3 through 2009). Also, the long-term goals for Mazda are to make the SkyActiv the mainstream 4 cylinder engine on all its cars. As the Mazda 3 makes up more than 50% of total sales in the US it is likely they will discontinue one of the two engines (likely the Mazda 3 base 2.0 liter engine -- the 2.5 liter is on the higher models) and ramp up SkyActiv production. The Mazda 6 will also get the SkyActiv engine and has had the 2.5 liter engine since 2009 (for 3 model years). It is confirmed in Car and Driver December 2011 issue that the Mazda 6 will get the DIESEL Skyactiv engine option in about 18 months (turbo diesel but same skyactiv technology) and the new 2013 will get the SkyActive engine standard first (gas) and the diesel engine (later) ..............note that the Mazda 5 is also the last new model introduction to use the Nagare styling (smiley face) -- all new models will have the new styling that comes out first on the CX-5 next spring (2013 model) ....
  • Some thoughts on the new M5 after 1700 mile trip, Minneapolis to Englewood Fl, One 6 hour day, one 13 hours, and one 7 hour day.

First the seats which felt so form fitting and firm, took a bit of adjusting and still need something to make them really good, my wife in the passenger seat was really uncomfortable half way though the first day. Second the area from where the windshield meets the hood back to the outside of the driver side mirror is a bit of a blind spot for me even with the little window, especially at night, it might be where I am sitting and should get better as I get used to it. Third the brake peddle has too much “play”, when coming off cruise control, the cruise cuts out immediately but the peddle feels like it has too far to travel to get to serious braking. I am going to talk to the dealer about that. Also when I floor the gas sometime the transmission takes a bit of time to find the go gear, sometimes has to search for the right gear, a bit disconcerting when trying to hit a closing window of opportunity. The cruise control works great, the speedo is a little off relative to the gps, at 70 gps 71, at 75 gps 77, you might want to check yours.

Sounds like I had a lot of problems with the car, not so , we really like the car. It drives like it is on rails, you have to pay attention all the time (a good thing) we felt safe and made adjustments to the above which I am sure will get better with time.

Now for the really good stuff. We got all our “go to Florida for the winter” stuff into the car without blocking the rear window. The car had about 900 miles when we left. The trip was 1688 (odometer) and we used 57.5 gallons for 29.3 mpg. I am really happy with that. Mileage was taken off the trip meter, each tank filled until the first click turned off the pump. Speeds were 72 for first part of trip, 77 for second half, air was on for only the last 4 hours.

One note about the Scangage e, going up hill under hard acceleration pushed the gauge to read 9999 mpg, like we were coasting, shortly after it read abnormally high mpg on a flat road, it did readjust after a while.

A happy M5 owner

chuck

Would have posted a picture of it loaded but too lazy to figure out how
    That's too bad if you're right, because MPG was one of the main reasons I never ended up buying a Mazda5. I had a Freestyle that would get in the mid 20s MPG and upper 20s MPG on the highway, as will an Odyssey or Sienna, so with the Mazda5 being so much smaller, I'd expect more like mid-30s highway MPG at least, which is what I was hoping the Skyactiv would bring.
  • Bob:

Everyone that likes Mazda vehicles is excited about the SkyActiv engines (currently just added as an optional engine to the 2011 Mazda 3 and will be the standard engine on the new 2013 (spring 2012) Mazda CX-5 compact CUV).

However, keep in mind that the Mazda 5 was just updated and it is a niche vehicle (sales in the 20,000 range) in the US. So, this engine will make it to the Mazda 5 (as the 2.5 liter engine and the 2.3 liter engine before it were shared with the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6) but the Mazda 6 will get it first (and the diesel variant of SkyActiv) as it up for a new redesign in 18 months.

Honda has only recent Acura models (TL this year) with a 6 speed automatic (even the new 2012 Honda Civic redesign stuck with a 5 speed automatic and was panned) and has zero cars at this point with direct injection (Hyundai, Kia are leading this race but came in 3rd in a new Passat/Camry/Sonata comparison in the December 2012 Motortrend (in 3 separate tests for the 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder and fuel efficient models -- Passat is TDI diesel not hybrid) to the Passat .................

Note that Ford is introducing the C-Max (a direct platform cousin to the Mazda 5) this year and it has the same sliding doors (but power option I think) and can seat 7 (has the seat insert option in the 2nd row). Ford, however, backed out of offering a gasoline version in the US (Hybrid and plug in hybrid versions only) and I am not interested in a hybrid at this point (I have kept my 1990 Mazda 626 hatchback for 21 years and a hybrid won't last that long).

I am interested in the SkyActiv (both gas and diesel) down the line ............
  • I bought a used 2008 Mazda5 with just under 36,000 miles on it. This is my first Japanese branded car and in summary, I'm unimpressed.

This replaced a 1996 Olds Cutlass with 185K miles on it. The Mazda's engine seems OK and gives some nice zip for a 4 cylinder, but my 6 cylinder Olds gave smoother power and fuel mileage. In comparison, the Cutlass averaged about 26 MPG. The Mazda does about the same. The Cutlass' parts wore out at intervals one would expect. I'm finding the Mazda to be a lower quality vehicle and I'll likely not buy another.

Immediately after purchase, I had to replace the rear shocks which improved handling. I made the replacement myself and observed that the shocks are pretty dainty - they're long and skinny similar to the hatch pistons. There's not enough mass there to sustain the vehicle so I expect that they'll require replacement again at about 60,000 miles.

Mazda soon after had a recall on the power steering pump which improved steering greatly. I'd suggest that any Mazda 3/5 owner make sure that this recall has been completed.

This past summer, I had the Mazda dealer flush the transmission. Since then, I've noticed on warm days over 90 degrees F or driving in the mountains that the transmission has a hard shift between 3rd and 4th gears. I believe that this is more around transmission cooling than the transmission itself. Similar to the rear shocks, Mazda engineers may have underspec'd the cooling for the transmission. My next step will be to try a transmission flush to see if it resolves the shift issue.

One of the rear hubs seized up and I replaced this myself, again observing that the part was dainty. In the case of a hub, I believe that it just doesn't have enough mass to cool warm bearings.

I'm at just over 60,000 miles now and the front struts are in need of replacement. I'll probably replace the front struts and rear shocks at the same time. It won't surprise me if they're undersized, similar to the rear shocks.

I've always driven GM cars and ran them to about 200K miles with standard wear/tear issues that one would expect. I bought the Mazda hearing how much better Japanese quality is, but I'm not seeing it. Instead, I see a vehicle with very questionable engineering quality.

After this experience, I'm unimpressed with Mazda specifically and will further question Japanese brands' quality in general.

Engineering quality: :cry:
    Build quality: :)
    Fuel economy: :(
    Overall: :lemon:
  • davichodavicho Posts: 190
    There is a reason Olds does not exist anymore...nonetheless to each its own!

Shocks = normal wear and tear part
    Bearings = normal wear and tear part
    Transmission shifting = there is a TSB make sure it is done already

Wow really?
    :cry: + :) + :( = :lemon: ???

GM= :lemon: 's
  • The 7 GM's that I had over the past 30 years would run 80K to 100K miles before I had to replace struts and I've never had hub go out. Again, the GM's have run 80K to 200K miles with very few issues.

I agree that they're normal wear & tear parts, but they seem to wear & tear faster on Mazda since they're undersized.

The tranny has been to the dealer's shop 3 times now with no resolution.

My 2 year experience with my single Mazda isn't impressing me as much as my 30 year experience with the 7 GM's I've owned.
  • First time Mazda owner, metropolitan grey mazda5. I have 4700 miles on the car and was quite pleased with it until I went to change the motor oil. While I was under there I noticed transmission fluid leaking of the tranny somewhere. You can see where it was dripping and coated the undercarriage of the car. I have to say I am not at all happy. Called the dealer which is 3 hours away to make an appointment. Of course they can't imagine what would cause such a thing and the service manager had to look in the owner's manual to see if it had an automatic dipstick so I could check the levels. Which I had already found on my own. I hope it is a quick fix.
  • microrepairmicrorepair Eastern MassachusettsPosts: 508
    Wow, you and I have had exactly opposite experiences with GM and Mazda. Back in the 90's, I owned two Buicks that pretty much disentegrated mechanically in the 50-60 K mile range and got traded immediately with expensive problems that I refused to pay for. I've also owned another 5 or 6 GM products over the last 50 years and never had one I would call a reliable vehicle and never could trust keeping one beyond the 60K mile point. On the other hand, I had a 1988 MX-6 which I kept to the 100K mark and it only cost me tires, brakes and oil changes. And maybe one refill on the AC. I have had a 2009 Mazda6i GT since 11/2008 and it appears to be well on the way to repeating my experience with the 1988 model. I have 41K on it now and just last month the dealer said I don't even need to worry about the brakes as yet..! And that is amazing for me personally because I have not owned ANY car where I could get more than 35K out of the brakes.!! And the 2009 hasn't needed anything so far except oil changes..

In August 2011 we bought a 2012 Mazda5 and are very happy with it so far. I will need to call the dealer this week and have them check out a small vibration when the brakes are applied moderately at 40MPH. The only complaint we have with the Mazda5 is that a power seat was not available and for me the lack of lumbar adjustment and seat tilt makes it less than comfortable for long trips. But it is primarily my wife's vehicle so we take the 6 on long trips. But the 5 is a delight to drive; responsive steering, brakes, and throttle along with a slightly softer ride than the 6. And the smaller size makes it easier to park in congested areas. The 2.5 engine is almost identical in both cars and is a great engine...!

It may be that you got one of the rare lemons from Mazda..?? Or maybe Mazda is improving after their almost divorce from Ford??
  • ben70ben70 Posts: 16
    After owned Hondas for years lately some serious issues made our Odyssey unsafe to drive (brakes didn't work). Madza5 is zero defects and is $10K less expensive too. Would have kept the Odyssey if it weren't for life-threatening safety issues.
  • jjac28jjac28 Posts: 2
    Cant recommend this car. Bought it based on looks , handling and Mazda reliability... did i say Mazda reliability? lol
    at 75k km Im having noisy back suspension issues. Also had problems with front engine mounts, luckily these were replaced before my warranty expired.
    Ive been many times to the dealership to be told that its a design issue, the suspension is improperly designed not suitable for a van ...
    looks like theres no solution either.
    Be prepared to have this problem and having to constantly pay for it to get it fixed. Im not sure if the new 2012 model will have the same suspension issues but stay away from older models imho
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    My wife's 2008 Mazda 5 has had both rear struts fail within a month or so after the car left the warranty coverage period. Good thing the dealer worked with Mazda to go 50-50 on the cost of replacements. But seriously, two bad struts for a low mileage car that is very gently driven? I've owned a bunch of other Japanese and American cars over the years and NEVER had any suspension parts go bad even over 120k miles. Looking online I see many other complaining of bad struts on the Mazda 3 and 5 models. This would seem like a pretty well known problem but Mazda doesn't seem to be doing anything about it.
  • dave594dave594 Posts: 218
    Took the car in for an oil change and brake flush and the dealer tells me the suspension bushings on the front and back are all shot. This is at 40k miles. I've never owned a car in 30 years that has ever needed any suspension work like this car. Mazda has a problem with the 3 and 5 series models and the internet boards are full of talk about the suspension components going out at about the 40k mile mark. I'm not going to buy another Mazda after this experience.
  • My '09 has had to have the rear shocks replaced twice in under 50,000 miles (first time under warranty, second time a few months after the warranty expired). Needless to say I didn't get OEM shocks the second time.

Otherwise, I'm fairly happy with the car. It's reasonably economical compared to its larger minivan cousins, and fairly fun to drive with the stick shift. It's fantastically maneuverable for a 6-passenger car.

My peeves (aside from the rear suspension problem) are relatively minor: I find the driver's seat cramped, and I'm not especially tall at 6'0"; the auto climate control needs to be much more flexible. Replacing the headlight bulbs is incredibly difficult.
    How did the cargo space go down from 35CuFt to 25CuFt when the car hasn't gotten smaller? Did Mazda just allow the rear seats to go back further in their tracks? If so, that would mean if the second row was slid up a little you'd still get the 35CuFt? Or were there other changes?
  • I agree the Mazda 5 we have is the best. I bought a 2012 GT in April, 2013 new and now have almost 11,000 miles on it. At 5000 mi. I changed the oil to Mobil 1. Manual calls for 0w20 oil so that's what I put in. We just finished a 2700 mile trip and averaged about 30.3 mpg. High was 31.6 mpg. Around town I get about 26.5 mpg. I drive easy on the gas and braking but the AC is almost always on. The car is very nimble, predictable, and fairly quiet. Super versatile, and comfortable to drive...I like the sliding doors in the garage for clearance next to our other car. I hope to drive this car for many years as it does everything well!
  • keep_it_simplekeep_it_simple Posts: 5
    edited October 2013
    So does everyone love their Mazda5 or are they simply hard to find?

There are 21 Mazda5 for sale within a radius that includes Atlanta, Chattanooga, Knoxville, and Nashville. 9 of them have leather seats (a huge positive with young kids in my opinion), and only 1 is a manual transmission (not leather and they want $2000 above blue book).
    Hmm.
    The Mazda5 seems to meet my needs on paper. Just need to drive out a few hours to test drive one. I was hoping for 4-5 years old with less than 100,000 miles on the engine, but looks like I may be choosing from MY2012-2013 or MY2008 with <100,000 miles.
  • carthellcarthell Posts: 126
    edited January 14

@keep_it_simple said: So does everyone love their Mazda5 or are they simply hard to find?

I found it hard to find a 2013 model in my state this past December, so I settled for a 2014 Touring. I've racked up slightly less than 400 miles so far. It is much quieter than my old vehicle, has a parking sensor (unexpected bonus) which is really useful on the small streets and tight parking spaces I navigate on and into, and Bluetooth which makes interaction with my phone So. Much. Easier. (I had some doubts about it working because the web site didn't list my model, the LG 800G. I then realized that Bluetooth is a standard that should work most anywhere.)

My first fill-up yielded a MPG figure of 21, not too far from my old ride and just under the city figure estimated by the EPA (expected).

My brother, who's all legs and taller than me, finds the front passenger seat harder to fit into because of the way the glovebox and dash intrudes into the passenger space. He's much happier in the second row.

Except for a wavy scratch on my front bumper that managed to imprint itself there :@ after a week (!!) of ownership, I'm happy with my purchase.

• carthellcarthell Posts: 126
    After nearly a year of of ownership, I'm still mostly happy with my purchase. On most fill-ups, I achieve near 22 mpg (mostly city miles). A recent fill-up did produce a much lower figure (around 17 mpg). There were more than a few days where I had to use the air conditioning unit to keep the windows clear.

I've taken one long road trip with the car earlier this summer. Like other cars in my price range (and buses and planes), I've found that I can't sit in the vehicle for more than 1.5-2 hours before the area around my coccyx starts crying out for relief. The so-called trucker's massaging chair pads I bought a few years ago hit every place but where it was the most needed. I'll have to buy a pad to compensate for that. (If you find yourself thinking about taking a trip to Chincoteague Island on the eastern Virginia seashore, do it. It is a very nice place, but there is only one road that leads there. Pick the right day, and you'll see a rocket launch.) The USB port gets extensive use as a phone charger and mp3 player. It plays songs placed on a memory stick fine. The car's radio can't play music on the model of iPod nano that I have, and it doesn't appear to be able to find music stored on my brother's Android phone.

Hauling people and stuff: people have commented that my vehicle is more like a wagon than a very small van, and it is a capable hauler with the third row down. It has handled multiple runs to the bulk product retailer that I go to, and was able to handle a 50" TV loaded vertically and diagonally (one middle row seat was folded). One of the third row seats was occupied by a teenage girl once, and she appeared to be comfortable. I did have some trouble once with getting my mom from the hospital: her condition had caused her body to swell. Although there was enough room for her in the second row once inside, getting her through the opening was a problem. The patient transporters suggested that I kick the seat back as far as it could go, and that allowed her to get in. She had problems pulling herself in, and folding her legs enough to clear the B pillar.

On retrospect, she would have had an easier time getting into my sister's Grand Caravan, and was about to call her when the seat back suggestion was mentioned.

Because my vehicle is gray, it is harder to distinguish from other vehicles. Sometimes, I use my keyfob's lock feature to get the car to sound out its location.

Maintenance: aside from replacement of a tire because of an unfixable puncture, the vehicle hasn't given me trouble. The previous Suzuki I had started with rotor and electrical (starting) problems throughout much of my ownership experience.

I wish for many happy years with my vehicle until the day that I wear it out, or Mazda NA comes to its senses and brings back the Mazda6 wagon.